• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official "Real-Time with Bill Maher" Thread

LCGeek

formerly sane
Nicolle Wallace and Anthony Weiner arguing was amusing. Some of the things she was saying were just silly.

I had no opion of Weiner before seeing him on maher as I thought he was a joke and not in politics. After seeing him shred Wallace down and counter her reasonably I'm really hoping he gets some self control and makes another run once he proves himself.

The response for healthcare was easily my favorite part of the discussions.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Anyone catch the new episode last night? Just watched it.

Reihan Salam is a guest again. Summary:

W7qtqzm.gif

inm8num2

Horrible episode last night. Instead of actually talking about what's happening in Ukraine and Gaza, Maher started the panel with the usual 'Republicans are blaming Obama' discussion we've heard so many times. That watered down into laughably simplistic and childish arguments about whether Obama is "respected" throughout the world, due to not "showing enough muscle" as the Santorum aide so elegantly said.

I cannot imagine why Maher wouldn't want to talk about Gaza...

inm8num2

He's insufferable whenever it comes to Israel, Vaccinations and Food.

LOL yup. I expected him to skirt around Gaza, but he just outright prevented the entire discussion at the start of the panel.

I grow tired of every topic being funneled into whether Obama is to blame, how crazy Republicans are to focus so much on Obama, etc. Okay, we get it and we agree. That has been established over and over. Maher keeps taking the low hanging fruit and lobbing softballs to right wingers whom he knows will take the bait, thereby giving him something very basic, simplified, and low effort to debate rather than discussing the actual topic at hand.

If it weren't for Amy Goodman and Neil D. Tyson I probably wouldn't have finished the episode.

Maher knows that Goodman would have slayed him if he brought up Israel/Hamas.

Yup. Well Tyson was nice to have on the show, the mid-panel comedy bit + interview, usually with some second-rate comedian or actor usually kills the shows momentum. It'd be a much better show if you had 4 people on the panel, for a solid 40 minutes, instead of 10-15 minutes for the panel, 5 minute comedy bit, 5-10 minute usually useless interview, then another ten minutes for the panel before New Rules.

I must admit I was shocked to see a Marxist on mainstream television.

Yup. Well Tyson was nice to have on the show, the mid-panel comedy bit + interview, usually with some second-rate comedian or actor usually kills the shows momentum. It'd be a much better show if you had 4 people on the panel, for a solid 40 minutes, instead of 10-15 minutes for the panel, 5 minute comedy bit, 5-10 minute usually useless interview, then another ten minutes for the panel before New Rules.
Maybe it's because I watch overtime but I feel that there is enough panel time.

I was hoping she'd call Bill out for avoiding the topic.
My mom was disatisfied with the medias coverage on Israel/Hamas so I introduced her to Democracy Now like a week ago. She loved it and wanted to watch this episode after Amy stated she'd be on it. During the show my mom said outloud "this isn't about Palestine."

To be fair thoug, mainstream left media has been ignoring the topic. Stewart and Oliver have barely scrapped at the issue while Colbert never mentions it. I think only PBS touches upon it.

inm8num2

Tonight's show

Ralph Nader
Douglas Brinkley
Doug Heye
Rep. Barbara Lee

I look forward to Maher dodging any discussion about Gaza by starting the panel with some cherry-picked poll.

I kind of tuned out of last night's show except during the monologue and the Ralph Nader interview. Talk about the 2000 and 2004 elections but Nader is a very smart guy.

Real Time returns this Friday at a special time 9 pm from Washington, DC with a live stand up comedy special immediately following Real Time.

Guests:

Nancy Pelosi
Andrea Mitchell
Haley Barbour
Jon Huntsman
Jerry Seinfeld

Cornel West always teaches me something new and adds something to the panel when he's on. Even Mary Matalin I thought did fine. There hasn't been a dud of an episode in a while and I've been watching the show on and off for probably 5-6 years.

As long as Kennedy is not brought back, everything will work out. All she did was roll her eyes at points she disagreed at with this one old Congressman or Senator back in March 2013.

sruckus

Whew last night's episode was awkward. That lady was just grating and annoying and she always talks in circles or changes the topic to suit what she wants to talk about. It's crazy. I can't imagine she will be invited back.

And even as a gay man...Eva Longoria. Woof.

Eva was more coherent than that journalist lady.

Rula kept digging into Bill and at first the crowd was following her but eventually groaned a bit so she just parroted some points Bill has made in the past about income inequality and global warming which make sense but are nothing new.

Edit: I just watched Overtime and Rula got her out points and really came around compared to what she said on the main show. It's a shame she couldn't get that in her main rant.

demon

Rootbeer

Banned
Cornel West coming out HARD in support for Bernie tonight.

Wish I could find a clip, but the episode is still too new.
Looks like it's been closed.. ?

NOPE still open! you have to verify your e-mail after signing up and that's it.

I just signed

Sadly it has less than 12k signatures right now. I hope the word gets out. I saw it posted on reddit a few times already, but not many upvotes.

*edit* found a small clip from the conversation they had on Bernie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTsUNBhIqHk

~Kinggi~

Banned
Last night was kinda touching. Bill was crying at the end.

Lol at the white house petition. 50k signatures already after a day.

Rootbeer

Banned
Great episode last night. Catch it on HBOGO if you missed it.

Particularly loved the stuff Margaret Cho and Killer Mike had to add.

Anna Navarro is such a fucking Bush shill. It was repulsive. George Bush was a good leader? Are you fucking kidding me?!

I know he has his own problems but I can remember around 2005 when Michael Savage was calling most of the right-wing media besides himself "Bushbots." Yeah she was pretty bad. She seemed to dig her grave deeper and deeper. I think she wanted to feed off the crowd reactions by that point.

demon

Nick Gillespie is such a fucking waste. Why even bother putting that clown on the show?
Dammit was the Freedom Fonz on last night? Was he wearing a black leather jacket? I haven't watched it yet but I can't stand that prick. I'm tempted to just pass.

rjc571

Banned
Dammit was the Freedom Fonz on last night? Was he wearing a black leather jacket? I haven't watched it yet but I can't stand that prick. I'm tempted to just pass.

The final New Rule was epic as fuck... thankfully you can watch it on youtube without watching the entire episode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB4sGX0R5ak

The episode was still worth watching though, imo. Dan Savage did a good job responding to Coulter's bullshit and Bryan Cranston made the second half enjoyable.

Top Bottom