• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official WipEout HD thrEad of unEcessary captilization

FoxhoundNL said:
I think they should just GTFO with pilot assist for online races. Seriously, it's OK when you're new to the series or if you want to play against a friend or whatever in splitscreen mode, but for ONLINE races? Just practice, people :D. Then, when you're better, start playing online without pilot assist.

I don't have a problem with them allowing it online, but FFS they should have separate races for ON or OFF. Allowing it in all races and not making a clear distinction is ridiculous. I have been enjoying the single player so far without it, and this just makes me not even want to go online with the game.

John_B said:
How do you boost from the start grid? I noticed on Elite all of the AI does it, unless I'm imagining things...

Dont press the accelerator until the timer runs out.
Or at GO! press the accelerator .

FabCam

prodystopian said:
I don't have a problem with them allowing it online, but FFS they should have separate races for ON or OFF. Allowing it in all races and not making a clear distinction is ridiculous. I have been enjoying the single player so far without it, and this just makes me not even want to go online with the game.

It's not a problem at all. If you're any good you can easily overtake someone who has assist as the assist pushed you away from the fastest line.

Jim

I hope they patch the damn game soon. Any news on that? I haven't been following the thread since Friday, sorry. The stuttering default BGM and no online is annoying as hell.

Thankfully Custom Soundtracks save the day, since they don't exhibit the problem... grrr.

Jim said:
I hope they patch the damn game soon. Any news on that? I haven't been following the thread since Friday, sorry. The stuttering default BGM and no online is annoying as hell.

Thankfully Custom Soundtracks save the day, since they don't exhibit the problem... grrr.

You're one of the few other people I've heard mention the stuttering BGM in addition to myself. Are you running an HDMI receiver?

I had no idea that pilot assist was allowed online...that...concerns me. Well, I played online last night for the first time and owned everyone so can't really complain, but that's still bothersome to me. I wish they would make a host option to disallow it.

Vorador

Banned
Jim said:

Still nothing i think.

The stuttering BGM is a strange problem since some people are free from it (like myself). I use the optical output btw.

LiK

Jim said:

never experienced any stuttering with the bgm (HDMI here). and online works fine for me.

btw, the campaign mode is a lot harder than i thought. those time trials in the later tracks are brutal.

jax (old)

Banned
LiK said:
never experienced any stuttering with the bgm (HDMI here). and online works fine for me.

btw, the campaign mode is a lot harder than i thought. those time trials in the later tracks are brutal.

yes, the races aren't too bad. I can normally score gold in races.tournaments on NOVICE but once you try speed lap (I can get silver easy, gold a bit harder) but time trials.. Oooooofff. a kick to the gonads. Absolutely brutual.

FabCam

MisterAnderson said:
I had no idea that pilot assist was allowed online...that...concerns me. Well, I played online last night for the first time and owned everyone so can't really complain, but that's still bothersome to me. I wish they would make a host option to disallow it.

As I stated earlier, it's actually a disadvantage if you are a skilled driver. The assist pushes you away from the walls which is sometimes the best driving line therefore being a disadvantage.

PowderedToast

Time Trials are tough as hell, 'cos you have to race consistently well for every lap, whereas you basically get 7 chances to get Gold on Speed lap.

Vorador

Banned
Jax said:
yes, the races aren't too bad. I can normally score gold in races.tournaments on NOVICE but once you try speed lap (I can get silver easy, gold a bit harder) but time trials.. Oooooofff. a kick to the gonads. Absolutely brutual.

Time trials are truly brutal, in Head Rush i'm barely getting bronce in them. The game is getting hard, and i'm only at half the campaign.

But unlocking stuff is great, so gotta keep racing.

Man, some of you guys must be absolutely stunning at this game. I'll pull off a what I think is a good lap and then check the global records only to realize that I am like ... ranked 5000 or something. :lol

ourumov

The snow track is simply put the most horrible thing ever created... I had to skip the race event and leave it blank for now because I simply cannot keep my speed with the leader while avoiding the attacks on the long straights...

I had never been challenged in a so tough way since F-Zero GX.

LiK

man, glad i'm not the only one who thought the time trials are tough. i can share my pain with you guys. :lol

btw, does anyone have advice for a ship to use for time trials? i'm not sure if i should stick with higher handling or higher speed. i tried switching around with them and it seems higher handling works for me.

Gamecocks625 said:
Man, some of you guys must be absolutely stunning at this game. I'll pull off a what I think is a good lap and then check the global records only to realize that I am like ... ranked 5000 or something. :lol
Really? I pulled off a few 200~ ranks, and I was like, meh, could have done better.

Jim

Valkyr Junkie said:
You're one of the few other people I've heard mention the stuttering BGM in addition to myself. Are you running an HDMI receiver?

Nope... optical audio to receiver. It even happens when just idling while sitting on the menu. Custom soundtracks work 100% perfect, regardless of bitrate/album/playlist. I have a new 320GB HDD in there, and am playing offline obviously. :(

Oh and Assegai 4eva.

Jim said:
Nope... optical audio to receiver. It even happens when just idling while sitting on the menu. Custom soundtracks work 100% perfect, regardless of bitrate/album/playlist. I have a new 320GB HDD in there, and am playing offline obviously. :(

Oh and Assegi 4eva.

Hmmm, I only get the stuttering during gameplay; never in the menu. Plus I think I get the stuttering with custom soundtracks too, but I'm not 100%. I have a 250GB HDD in mine.

LiK

Valkyr Junkie said:
Hmmm, I only get the stuttering during gameplay; never in the menu. Plus I think I get the stuttering with custom soundtracks too, but I'm not 100%. I have a 250GB HDD in mine.

hmmm, so does the stuttering have to do with your HDD? i'm still using the 60GB in my PS3 and i have no stuttering whatsoever. default, bgm, custom tracks etc all work fine..

AlphaTwo00 said:
Really? I pulled off a few 200~ ranks, and I was like, meh, could have done better.

I was slightly exaggerating, but I really am amazed with some of the times. I think I just suck at the moment, but I am getting better. It always takes a while to get the hang of Wipeout's controls, especially after not playing the series for about 10 years.

Jim

LiK said:
hmmm, so does the stuttering have to do with your HDD? i'm still using the 60GB in my PS3 and i have no stuttering whatsoever. default, bgm, custom tracks etc all work fine..

Hmm.. weird. Custom works 100% for me, so maybe I should just download the soundtrack from somewhere. :p Anyone with a stock HDD having BGM stuttering issues?

The XL soundtrack (among other stuff) has been a great replacement at least.

How the hell do you gold the Sebenco Climb Speed Run in Campaign 4? Besides running cleanly and hitting almost all the pads, I turbo off the crest of the hill (coming out of the tunnel), get big air and fly over the chicanes, barrel roll, land at the bottom of the hill, jam on the rightt airbrake and hit that pad heading to the finish. I can do silver easily (32.59 I think is my best), but can't hit the 32.25 for Gold.

navii said:
ah, on speed lap events, if you save your boost till just before you cross the start/finish live you get a nice boost just as you start your next lap. This just helped me get to Head Rush class :)

Yeah, it took me a while to realize this, but it made all the difference in the world. Prior to that, I would be miliseconds away from a gold, then once I went back and tried this tactic I was able to finish most of them.

LiK

Jim said:
The XL soundtrack (among other stuff) has been a great replacement at least.

i also highly recommend the original Wipeout 1 soundtrack as well. it bought back so many good memories of the first game and the music still sounds great. :D

Raistlin

Jim said:

Unfortunately, I still have it with custom soundtracks as well.

Valkyr Junkie said:

I have the issue as well ... mentioned it in one of my first posts in this thread ... but at the time, it seemed no one was seeing the problem.

I'm also using HDMI (PS3 -> Video Processor (outputting a dedicated HDMI audio-only signal) -> Pre/Pro).

Out of curiosity, do we all have non-standard HDD's? I believe me an Jim are using Sammy 320GB HDDs?

I've noticed some audio stuttering in RockBand as well. But the problem is, I have way too many variables to determine the cause. I upgraded my HDD to make room for more downloads. I then downloaded the Megadeth and Rush albums ... then turned on RockBand and was forced to upgrade to version 1.5.

So basically:

a = new HDD
b = newly downloaded songs (could be corrupt?)
c = new SW patch for the game

almost forgot

d = updated PS3 firmware to the (technically not needed) newest rev.
e = was playing WipeoutHD for like 3 hours before (could be stressing/overheating my PS3?)

So all of those things happened before playing my first Rush songs from Moving Pictures. How the hell can I solve for x (x = audio stuttering), with that many possible issues? :lol

Madman

RedNumberFive said:
Yeah, it took me a while to realize this, but it made all the difference in the world. Prior to that, I would be miliseconds away from a gold, then once I went back and tried this tactic I was able to finish most of them.
It's too bad this technique doesn't work on the multiple lap time trials. I'm struggling for bronze in many events now that I'm deeper into the game.

Lumine

I thought I was doing pretty good, but I think I'm starting to run into a wall at the end of the head rush event.
I went through most events with pilot assist on as it recommended it to me and this is the first wipeout I've played in 10 years. :p
I've turned it off now and it took some adjusting, but I actually managed to improve many lap times pretty easily. I guess pilot assist slows you down a bit whenever it adjusts your steering.
I don't know how the hell I'm supposed to do some of these hard corners on rapier though. Crash almost everytime and I end up short a few seconds on the time trial events. :(

Raistlin

Jim said:
Hmm.. weird. Custom works 100% for me, so maybe I should just download the soundtrack from somewhere. :p Anyone with a stock HDD having BGM stuttering issues?

:lol

Hivemind?

(read my above post)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jim said:
Nope... optical audio to receiver. It even happens when just idling while sitting on the menu.
Same audio setup as mine, but I don't get any audio hickups with built-in music. I also have a 250GB HDD so it's not a stock one.

Jim

Onix said:
Out of curiosity, do we all have non-standard HDD's? I believe me an Jim are using Sammy 320GB HDDs?

Upon poking around, it's looking like the Sammy 320GB and 250GB 5400RPM HDDs are a relatively common factor in the issue. Fuck. Hopefully it's just a coincidence.

Raistlin

Jim said:
Upon poking around, it's looking like the Sammy 320GB and 250GB HDDs are a relatively common factor in the issue. Fuck. Hopefully it's just a coincidence.

oh crap T_T

Any chance you can set up a poll? (maybe reference if people are having Rockband issues as well? - I'll do more testing of that tonight).

I would suspect there must be some sort of inherent issue with the HDD's if that's the case? The games' really can't be making assumptions about HDD access timings, otherwise the 20GB PS3's, etc would all be fucking up too?

lol ... I'm scared to even boot up GTA4 now :p

1-D_FTW

How bad is this stuttering you guys are talking about?

I think I'm getting occasional hiccups with the ingame music on my stock 80GB hard drive. But I'm unfamiliar with the music and, to be honest, so overwhelmed with learning the game that I'm not really paying that much attention to the music.

But I'm pretty sure I'm hearing occasional hiccups every so often. We're not talking stuttering like you saw in Half Life 2 (PC) when it was first released (and audio would stutter when levels first loaded.) But quick stutters now and then.

Raistlin

Its a random sound drop ... its not like its a constant stutter or anything.

However, if my Rockband issue is related, its obviously a serious issue for that game.

My music recommendations:

This is one of my favorite tracks I've found to import into Wipeout HD. It just feels like the perfect futuristic racing song to me; I love the progression and flow of it:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/106783

This guy, -API-, makes great tracks that seem tailor made for Wipeout:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/17943
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/22807

Check out his other entries on the bottom left if you like those, he has a lot of great stuff.

Also, for Extreme-G fans:

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01137/

For Megaman X fans:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/40549

Short, unfortunately, but when it comes on it warms my heart. And of course, I have an F-Zero playlist. :D

Jim

1-D_FTW said:
I'll try and pay more attention next time I play.

It's just the music, and almost sounds like it's intentional on certain songs. Like a split second drop, not really a "stutter".

Volcynika said:
Wait, so you can recharge your shield instead of using a weapon you get? I have no idea how to :(

One of the four face buttons
o
, heh.

1-D_FTW

Jim said:
It's just the music, and almost sounds like it's intentional on certain songs. Like a split second drop, not really a "stutter".

I'm pretty sure that's happened to me. Like I said, I'm unfamiliar with the music and kind of overwhelmed with just learning the tracks, but I'm pretty sure it's been happening to me. I'll definitely pay attention to exactly what's occurring next time I play. As long as it sounds like it could be intentional, there's a good chance it's happened.

RobertM

I have a question: I have completed some stages on Novice, but will those stages count toward Elite trophy challenge if I replay those levels on Elite difficulty?

Volcynika

Jim said:

One of the four face buttons
o
, heh.

:lol thanks!

I'm stuck on the second campaign set of races now, the top left regular race on the grid. I can't beat it on skilled, and novice even gets me getting destroyed by the AI. Yeesh.

Top Bottom