• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official WipEout HD thrEad of unEcessary captilization

FightyF

Banned
I tried playing with the d-pad last night...had some SERIOUS flashbacks to my PSX days. It actually feels a lot easier, because you tap to make minor adjustments, whereas with the analog pad you do slight presses which are harder.

But, I went back to analogy because it just feels like a more fluid control scheme and the dpad started to make my thumb sore.

Have to say though, doing barrel rolls with the d-pad is a breeze. A bit harder with the stick.

Gowans007 said:
just in a tournament, search now.

God the rubbish online setup (no invites) really hurts this game (along with the lack on voice) online.

The game itself is smooth as silk.

Just wondering, does it support chat in the lobby though? I'm alright with it not having chat during the races, but it would be nice to have it in the lobby.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I like how you have to choose a ship wisely, and learn to use it.

There's sort of a real life appeal when having a ship that may not look the best, but being able to do amazing things with it compared to the others.

Like the Firefly ship in the TV series.

Banned
FightyF said:
Just wondering, does it support chat in the lobby though? I'm alright with it not having chat during the races, but it would be nice to have it in the lobby.
I've heard people chatting in the lobby, but I don't have a headset and couldn't see an option to turn that off.

I've been using the analogue stick for control, it seems best suited to the game. I think the motion controls for pitch could be useful if you get good at it, but I just find it's too imprecise when you're trying to steer and use the pitch at the same time.

I did up the sensitivity of the air brakes from 70 to 80 after moving up to phantom class though, I was turning too sharply before that.

Baha

Shinraven said:
the game wont work on mine. I redownloaded it a second time, installed it...patch it the lock...nothing. just wont load.

I dont get it. grrrrrr

Install the unlock patch first, then the game.

jax (old)

Banned
The Lamonster said:
God I suck at this game. I'm good at other racers but I just cant get my skill up in this game. It's fucking annoying.

Back to Motorstorm, Ridge Racer 6 and F-Zero GX? Eh, I might give it another shot :/

you need to tweak the airbrake sensitivity + accelerate sensitivity. I did that to mine on the back of reccommendations in this thread and it definitely helps.

is there a lot of swearing online? I bet if I go online with this I'd swear like a mothafuca. :D

AndyD

aka andydumi
Jax said:
you need to tweak the airbrake sensitivity + accelerate sensitivity. I did that to mine on the back of reccommendations in this thread and it definitely helps.

What do you have them at? I have airbrakes at 40.

Trevelyan

Banned
So I'm going for the Airbreaker Trophy(get to Zone 50 only using airbrakes and sidestepping thingy), what's the highest Zone you have made it to only using these 2 techniques? I managed to get to 35 just now, but the last 15 are going to be a nightmare =)

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
This game is so awesome. Just got it today and I played the hell out of it. Zones is a fucking blast.

Leatherface

sankt-Antonio said:
what helped me the most was to go to the racebox: set it on timeattack and then drive in phantom class - after 30min / or whenever you get a perfekt lap - go back to campain and youll get gold on the second lap.

i works

sounds like a plan. I'll give it a shot. :D

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
this game is so awesome. my eyes were sore after hours of play last night :p
shame about the busted leaderboard updating :(

reminder

Thank god, my game doesn't freeze anymore and i can play online again. :D Had to delete some people from my friendlist, but i haven't seen most of them online for a long time, so it's ok for now. We still need a Patch which fixes the problem, though.

Just got this and I'm loving it.

But can someone give me a newbie-Wipeout strategy to succeed?

So far I've golded everything on skilled on the first two grids, but I'm worried I won't be able to keep up when it ramps up the difficulty. Any type of basic strategies would help me, i.e. what is pitch and how to use it, and when to absorb weapons, etc.

Gracias.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So someone help me out here. I'm looking at my personal view of my Moa Therma speed lap Rapier records. The one I just raced through 99 laps of, to get the associated trophy, and that I managed to pull a top time of 28.30 in. The one that, according to the global view, should be 3rd worldwide.

Can anyone tell me why, in my personal view, instead of saying my actual username, it says "PLAYER"? And why, thanks to this, I do not appear in the global ranking at ALL?

:|

Edit: Wait, I backed out, and it said "synchronizing records" and then I went back in and my name was there. Assuming what someone earlier in the thread said about scores not hitting the global for 24 hours is true.. I guess I no longer have any complaints!

Phew!

Tathanen said:
So someone help me out here. I'm looking at my personal view of my Moa Therma speed lap Rapier records. The one I just raced through 99 laps of, to get the associated trophy, and that I managed to pull a top time of 28.30 in. The one that, according to the global view, should be 3rd worldwide.

Can anyone tell me why, in my personal view, instead of saying my actual username, it says "PLAYER"? And why, thanks to this, I do not appear in the global ranking at ALL?

:|

Edit: Wait, I backed out, and it said "synchronizing records" and then I went back in and my name was there. Assuming what someone earlier in the thread said about scores not hitting the global for 24 hours is true.. I guess I no longer have any complaints!

Phew!
Same thing happened for me. I should be number 9 on one, and I'm still not there.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
It's really shitty how your points from each championship doesn't carry over. I'm finding myself at a brickwall skillwise and can't go any further despite doing well in previous championships.

It sucks.

WTF! I was doing pretty well in online multiplayer the past couple of days and I know I keep crashing out of races over and over again. I'm not doing anything differently...

Surfheart

The night I dloaded Wipeout HD I played about an hour of the original Wipeout before hand.

I put HD on and it was just overwhelming. The graphics, the amazing sound. Just bobbing there on the start line and hearing the engine spool up was one of those rare moments in gaming for me. Like seeing some incredible new arcade game for the first time except 100x better.

If only studio liverpool could develop the next Daytona...

btkadams

Witchfinder General said:
It's really shitty how your points from each championship doesn't carry over. I'm finding myself at a brickwall skillwise and can't go any further despite doing well in previous championships.

It sucks.
i agree :( it becomes a little tough when you have to pretty much gold an entire event in order to unlock this next one.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So is there any trick to Loyalty? So slooooow.

And do the skins do anything but look nice?

jmd494

Wow...I just cleared 14 consecutive perfect zones...I'm going for the twenty! (go back a few pages to see me whining that 20 was impossible) :lol

Trevelyan

Banned
Nooreo said:
Brix They have been SHAT

Also, When i do a barrel roll my health goes down to like 25%,why is that?! any one know?! 0_o
It's the trade off for the extra speed boost. Speaking of barrel rolls, I rarely see people doing them online.

SnakeXs said:
So is there any trick to Loyalty? So slooooow.

And do the skins do anything but look nice?
I think Elite races in racebox is the fastest way... you'll get 240 (I think. Doesn't matter which position you get) + eliminations and perfect laps. Good practice as well.

Skins are only for show as far as I know.

Raistlin

megateto said:
Are many of you using motion control? I just use the tilt function, I tried full motion control once and it was a complete mess. Is there any sensibility level I should change?

Try around 50% for motion sensitivity and see if that helps out. It definitely takes some getting used to.

TuxBobble

Onix said:
Try around 50% for motion sensitivity and see if that helps out. It definitely takes some getting used to.

I tried the motion control thing just to get that trophy. It definitely was NOT easy. I turned it off again after.

However, I will say that I think if you could adjust to it, it might be BETTER than the analog control. The greater range of motion would allow it to be more sensitive to slight motion than the analog stick.

Therefore, if you can adjust to it, more power to you. You will probably end up a lot better than me. I just couldn't adjust to it permanently...

TuxBobble said:
I tried the motion control thing just to get that trophy. It definitely was NOT easy. I turned it off again after.

However, I will say that I think if you could adjust to it, it might be BETTER than the analog control. The greater range of motion would allow it to be more sensitive to slight motion than the analog stick.

Therefore, if you can adjust to it, more power to you. You will probably end up a lot better than me. I just couldn't adjust to it permanently...

I am amazing at using the motion controls on Venom and Flash. On Rapier and Phantom, however, not so much. I bounce around the track like a fucking blind monkey is driving the ship.

seb

Banned
Shinraven said:
the game wont work on mine. I redownloaded it a second time, installed it...patch it the lock...nothing. just wont load.

I dont get it. grrrrrr

Do you have your controller assigned to position 1 ? XMB doesn't make a difference,but most games won't start with controller 2. Could be the problem.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Okay so this is my first Wipeout game and I have to say WOW, what have I been missing? After putting a good amount of time into it tonight, earning a few trophies, I can already see this will be my new defacto racing game that I'm constantly playing. Before now it was Gripshift on PSN and before that it was Mario Kart DS.

RpgN

Gowans007 said:
just finished, I'm not good with the faster speeds yet owch! Andrew Fee you are too good!

Too bad. We'll play the next time, okay? And I'm not good with faster speeds too. So far I keep it save at Venom and Flash laps.

Justin Dailey said:
Wow...I just cleared 14 consecutive perfect zones...I'm going for the twenty! (go back a few pages to see me whining that 20 was impossible)

7 is the most I got so far. Gotta try harder for the next time :D

Witchfinder General said:

It sucks.

But then it wouldn't be WipEout HD anymore, would it? It keeps you busy and come back for the game. It also trains you for playing online with the big guys, right? I don't find the game easy, but it's manageable IMO.

TuxBobble said:

Motion control is a lot more intuitive in first person view. Adds quite a lot to the game in fact, but I doubt I'd be competitive using this. It's also a lot more tiring on the hands; which I suppose is quite realistic.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
ah, on speed lap events, if you save your boost till just before you cross the start/finish live you get a nice boost just as you start your next lap. This just helped me get to Head Rush class :)

doicare

Man these trophies are haaaard. I've got 25 out 38 yet i'm only at 34% complete on the trophy progress bar. If i play any more my eyes might just start to bleed.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
navii said:
ah, on speed lap events, if you save your boost till just before you cross the start/finish live you get a nice boost just as you start your next lap. This just helped me get to Head Rush class :)
you do know that you get a free boost every lap?!

Johnkers

sankt-Antonio said:
you do know that you get a free boost every lap?!

It means you get to use basically two boosts in one lap (one from the last lap and the second that you get when crossing the finish line)

Johnkers said:
It means you get to use basically two boosts in one lap (one from the last lap and the second that you get when crossing the finish line)

Hell Yeah! I love racing games that make you strategic. In this game, it's fun making decisions whether you want you to use your weapon or you want to recharge your armor. Barrel roll is a must in every jump in time trial, yet in single races, it can make you or break you depending on how much armor you have and what lap you are on. Plus, the game is so fucking fast that these decisions needs to be quicker. In other racing games, Trial and Error gets frustrating and repetitive. Not in Wipeout! :D

Fuck Sebenco Climb

gopher.jpg

Shearie

Ever since I found out that you can use pilot assist online, I don't feel like playing online races anymore even though, at least on the flash speedclass, I can still beat most people who use it since I know the tracks well. The problem is when people who are good start using it and they don't have to worry about messing up and crashing into a wall.

Shearie said:
Ever since I found out that you can use pilot assist online, I don't feel like playing online races anymore even though, at least on the flash speedclass, I can still beat most people who use it since I know the tracks well. The problem is when people who are good start using it and they don't have to worry about messing up and crashing into a wall.
Play Rapier or Phantom. Pilot Assist is more of a nuisance than anything at those speeds).

Vorador

Banned
Shearie said:

I think it would be nice that when Sony Liverpool patches the game, to add an option in the race creation to ban/allow pilot assist in the race.

Vorador said:
I think it would be nice that when Sony Liverpool patches the game, to add an option in the race creation to ban/allow pilot assist in the race.
I think they should just GTFO with pilot assist for online races. Seriously, it's OK when you're new to the series or if you want to play against a friend or whatever in splitscreen mode, but for ONLINE races? Just practice, people :D. Then, when you're better, start playing online without pilot assist.

Top Bottom