• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official WipEout HD thrEad of unEcessary captilization

jett said:
I'm there and I don't see it dude...
I'm on stage/event 7 and I don't see it either.

In the later stages, enemies are less prone to messing up (much like the difficulty levels), but I've never noticed any rubberbanding - when I pull ahead of the competition, I never see them again (unless I fuck up, of course).

BeeDog

I also suspected heavy rubberbanding at the beginning (I'm only up to grid 3 so far), but then I realized the same thing as Revolutionary, once I managed to get past the pack, if I kept on flying good I didn't really see them again (unless they hit me with a missile or something).

Leatherface

Damn. I fucking suck at this game or something. I'm trying to get all golds as I progress through each grid of challenges but the difficulty seems to spike pretty hard rather quickly(I'm on grid 3). I'm having a hard time even getting bronze in some of the time challenges etc.. I swear I hit most of the damn zip arrows and even do the barrel roll boost thingy and still find myself struggling for the bronze!!

GAF help me! What am I doing wrong?!! :_(

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Leatherface said:
Damn. I fucking suck at this game or something. I'm trying to get all golds as I progress through each grid of challenges but the difficulty seems to spike pretty hard rather quickly(I'm on grid 3). I'm having a hard time even getting bronze in some of the time challenges etc.. I swear I hit most of the damn zip arrows and even do the barrel roll boost thingy and still find myself struggling for the bronze!!

GAF help me! What am I doing wrong?!! :_(

what helped me the most was to go to the racebox: set it on timeattack and then drive in phantom class - after 30min / or whenever you get a perfekt lap - go back to campain and youll get gold on the second lap.

i works

Firewire

Banned
Ceb said:
Do the leaderboards take a really long time to update or what? I got #2 on Metropia speed lap last night and still don't see my time up there on the global list.

I think you're stats won't be updated till 24hrs after you're last play session ends.

Feral Youth said:
The single player game is broke. Seriously the rubber banding on novice is bullshit. The winner still gets the same times as they do on elite. There's absolutely no point in having difficulty levels, since they don't make a difference at all.

There is no rubber banding in Wipeout HD.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
There is no rubber banding, but it seems to me opponents slow down a bit lap after lap. Like they get tired or something. Pure and Pulse had this as well.

I noticed Elite Tournaments are much easier than Elite Single Races. I was doing this tournament and it was a peace of cake. I was like "oh noes, I must have set novice by accident". But it was Elite.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Got my 20 perfect consecutive zones trophy, woo. Time to aim for zone 75 (!!!). My highest so far is zone 54 and I don't see how it's friggin possible to get over 60

Nevermind getting zone 50 with just airbrakes only. Now that's just crazy talk.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wario64 said:
Got my 20 perfect consecutive zones trophy, woo. Time to aim for zone 75 (!!!). My highest so far is zone 54 and I don't see how it's friggin possible to get over 60

Good luck with the 75 one. On which track did u get the 20 perfect one?

Revolutionary said:
I'm on stage/event 7 and I don't see it either.

In the later stages, enemies are less prone to messing up (much like the difficulty levels), but I've never noticed any rubberbanding - when I pull ahead of the competition, I never see them again (unless I fuck up, of course).

Maybe I should of said reverse rubber banding. I can't seem to catch up to the first 4 people on certain stages, no matter what I do.

Eitherway I'm using novice man. Nothing more I hate in a game than annoying roadblocks which pretty much kill it dead as a single player experience..

No_Style

Wario64 said:

You're just too crazy and good! I'm jealous.

Firewire

Banned
TTP said:
There is no rubber banding, but it seems to me opponents slow down a bit lap after lap. Like they get tired or something. Pure and Pulse had this as well.

Its the energy levels, they slowly decrease for everybody during the race. And this is why the "leech beam [+ -]" weapon that drains energy from you're opponents and transfers it to you can make all the difference in a race. And of course you're opponents (AI) have the ability to use it as well.

No_Style

Firewire said:
Its the energy levels, they slowly decrease for everybody during the race. And this is why the "leech beam [+ -]" weapon that drains energy from you're opponents and transfers it to you can make all the difference in a race. And of course you're opponents (AI) have the ability to use it as well.

Learn something new everyday...

mintylurb said:
3.gif
Dang you krazy asian gamers!

I guess I have potential then. :lol

mintylurb

Wario64 said:

3.gif
Dang you krazy asian gamers!

therapist

This game PWNS.

But yea, zone 75 ,how the hell is that even possible?

I cant even make it past zone 36 on vineta K...

MM i see someone mentioned that anulpha pass is the easier one for zone...i shall have to go try :)

BeeDog

Pft, I will only get like 5 trophies max in this game, I suck too much at it. Still fun though, and it's amazingly beautiful.

Firewire

Banned
Feral Youth said:
Maybe I should of said reverse rubber banding. I can't seem to catch up to the first 4 people on certain stages, no matter what I do.

Eitherway I'm using novice man. Nothing more I hate in a game than annoying roadblocks which pretty much kill it dead as a single player experience..

- most turns don't require the use of air brakes, learn the right lines to take into corners
- hit the boost pads (like all of them)
- when you have a boost available to you're ship, time its use with the boost pads (especially double boost pads) for extra acceleration
- use the weapons and use them smartly
- use the rear view when you can, if there are a number of ships directly behind you be prepared to use shields if you have them available
- learn the weapon pickups

xero273

panda21 said:
is it meant to sit on the 'installing...' screen for about half an hour when you try and install the download?

no, my install was very short. I don't remember how long, but half an hour is too long.

Ken Masters said:
is this a zone mode picture?

media

and how do you get the barrel roll achievement on that map?
That's the epilepsy Zone Mode, before they tweaked it.

The EQ effect is still there but it's not as pronounced (see picture) as it was initially.

Firewire

Banned
Ken Masters said:
is this a zone mode picture?

media

and how do you get the barrel roll achievement on that map?

Its the old zone mode that was scrapped because of epilepsy fears. Get air and do the left right left or right left right while in the air. The landing is the hardest part of the barrel roll.

Revolutionary said:
That's the epilepsy Zone Mode, before they tweaked it.

The EQ effect is still there but it's not as pronounced (see picture) as it was initially.

I know how to do the barrel roll, but one of the trophies has you doing it on a specific map, and I was wondering how to do it on that map

I wish they kept the old style of zone mode

Ashhong

PjotrStroganov said:
In the corner after the long bumpy part with the speedpads going diagonally, you can use the boost to get air. Use this air to do a barrel roll. I haven't beaten Zicos time btw.;)

i actually just started doing that. i do a boost to go around that corner, and land on the boost pad in the narrow area. i also started side jumping or whatever off of the higher platform at the end with the 4 pads. do a side jump right as u pass the last boost and barrel roll and ull land on another boost pad. its faster by about .2 seconds.

So has anyone found a way to beat Zico?

The best I can do is 3 seconds over the mark.... I don't know how to lose them, I'm hitting all the speedpads, using the bridge, boosting after the last speedpad and then doing a barrelroll....

...there has to be something he used, like a big air moment where he flies across the map or some shit (I used to do that all the time in a certain Wip3out track lol).

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
TTP said:
That's how I did it as well. I think it's the only spot u can do that.

Firewire, about the energy thing. Are u sure? That weapon u are talking about replenishes the shield (decreasing the opponent one). It doesn't seem to affect speed. It does?

Yeah, what he said makes no sense. The only "energy level" in the game is your sheild energy, and it has nothing to do with speed, aside from making you drive more cautiously and being consumed by barrel rolls. That said, if you're consuming powerups with O, and CPU racers are doing the same, you should never really be worrying about it too much. The +/- powerup is kind of useless because of that, actually. You'd probably do better by just converting it directly to shields.

Raistlin

ItsInMyVeins said:
Is it just me, or do the AI seem to mainly go for you when you play a race? Sometimes it's like they all just aim for me when I play :O

A bit, but that said, I've been in plenty of races where a ship or two will get destroyed ... with me having nothing to do with it.

Raistlin

mintylurb said:
Has anyone noticed this screen tearing at the top whenever you're turning your craft?

wotear_01.jpg

Yes, though I think most people won't see it as its likely in the overscan area for most TVs.

Raistlin

speedpop said:
Just a question.

I was going to grab Wipeout HD till I saw some videos and it doesn't look anywhere near as fast as I was hoping (F-Zero & Ridge Racer are knocking it to the ground). Is that just due to slow crafts at the start or is that how the game is meant to be?

I guess you haven't played Wipeout before? :p

There are multiple speed classes ... you start off slow.

buy it

Firewire

Banned
TTP said:
Firewire, about the energy thing. Are u sure? That weapon u are talking about replenishes the shield (decreasing the opponent one). It doesn't seem to affect speed. It does?

I remember reading that it does influence speed, from a Wipeout Pulse review. I can't find anything to back it up though. I wish they had more info at Wipeout.com but they don't get into much detail there.

Firewire said:
I remember reading that it does influence speed, from a Wipeout Pulse review. I can't find anything to back it up though. I wish they had more info at Wipeout.com but they don't get into much detail there.
It seems to me that the guy you are aiming at pulls you a little bit forward. That's why you'll be speeding up, but just a bit until the leech-link has found the ''right range''.

Could be wrong though.

Ceb

Revolutionary said:
So has anyone found a way to beat Zico?

The best I can do is 3 seconds over the mark.... I don't know how to lose them, I'm hitting all the speedpads, using the bridge, boosting after the last speedpad and then doing a barrelroll....

...there has to be something he used, like a big air moment where he flies across the map or some shit (I used to do that all the time in a certain Wip3out track lol).

I just spent 99 laps trying and I could only shave my time down to 32:15. :lol

I can't figure out where the big air possibility might lie, especially since a pretty big part of the track consists of a tunnel with no bumps in sight.

Can absolutely not get past Super Zen in Zone mode either. I bow to Wario64.

They really need to release this on Blu-ray like they did with Quest for Booty. Of my 4 PS3-owning friends, only one of them even knew this was out, and two don't like downloading games because of slow internet speeds.

I think they're mad not to give this a physical form. At least in Europe, where Wipeout remains a massively recognised series. All my friends love the PSP games, yet they didn't even know about this game? Sony should at least advertise PSN games =0

DrPirate

Banned
Android18a said:
They really need to release this on Blu-ray like they did with Quest for Booty. Of my 4 PS3-owning friends, only one of them even knew this was out, and two don't like downloading games because of slow internet speeds.

I think they're mad not to give this a physical form. At least in Europe, where Wipeout remains a massively recognised series. All my friends love the PSP games, yet they didn't even know about this game? Sony should at least advertise PSN games =0

Yeah, I agree man. I would have spent 40
60 dorra
on that awesome Wipeout HD blu-ray box and disc given to the press.

Loving this game, and am getting very good at it, even with the tilts controls
suck at it with rapier and up though
Can someone explain to me the purpose of "pitch" though? Does it make cornering easier if you pitch your craft upwards or something? Going downhill, pitching downwards makes you increase speed? Or what?

Edit: DrPirate your avatar is quite amazing. "What? Ohhhhh yeah I feel grrreaattt."

I'm on the third group of events and I've hit a brick wall. I can't medal on this Time Trial at Metropia, nor at the single race in Sebenco Climb.
And I'm not even getting close. The timer will run down well before I get the end of the three laps, and I'm always dead last in the race.
No idea how to do any better :\

Banned
Just finished it there.

Completing the campaign unlocks
chrome ships.
Getting golds for every event in the campaign unlocks
nothing :(

Most of the events in Meltdown are insanely difficult—at least for someone new to the series like myself. I would be surprised if that many people actually finish the game if there are lots having trouble around the third/fourth series of events.

God I suck at this game. I'm good at other racers but I just cant get my skill up in this game. It's fucking annoying.

Back to Motorstorm, Ridge Racer 6 and F-Zero GX? Eh, I might give it another shot :/

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Onix said:
I guess you haven't played Wipeout before? :p

There are multiple speed classes ... you start off slow.

buy it

I just played a few races on Wipeout Pulse and had the same feeling.

Then I played Zone and remembered how fast it can get.

So many crashes, SO MANY CRASHES

jett

D-Member
Am I crazy or does custom-soundtracks cause framerate problems in Zone mode? That's what it seems to me...I'm surprised this game has all these bugs despite the..."extra time" they had to finish it.

Top Bottom