• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official WipEout HD thrEad of unEcessary captilization

Banned
Hmm, while the framerate has generally been quite good up until now, with only minor tearing that's usually contained at the top of the screen, I've been getting really bad tearing/framerate drops doing the Rapier tournaments. :(

Whomever designed the Sebenco Climb track can DIE BLIND IN HELL. :D Any speed above Flash on that track and I'm bouncing around like... something really bouncy. Can't wait for the Zone version of that track... ugh.

Also wish the dividing line between the medals on time trial events was a little more forgiving... I'm still on the 5th out of 8th campaign modes and I'm stuck b/c I can't get above bronze on some of these time trials...

jax (old)

Banned
Lemming_JRS said:
Whomever designed the Sebenco Climb track can DIE BLIND IN HELL. :D Any speed above Flash on that track and I'm bouncing around like... something really bouncy. Can't wait for the Zone version of that track... ugh.

Also wish the dividing line between the medals on time trial events was a little more forgiving... I'm still on the 5th out of 8th campaign modes and I'm stuck b/c I can't get above bronze on some of these time trials...

Yes, Sebenco Climb is my most hated level. I can NEVER get round the final corner without slamming into the walls. Going from rapier clas up = hell.

and you're also right about the line between medal classes. They're bloody tight. Which makes the game uber challenging. Which in itself, I actually welcome :D

sun-drop

it's funny ... we've had rigeracer, DMC, R&C, even MGS on ps3 already ... but playing wipEout HD has only FINALY given me that "Playstation" feeling again...

weird eh?

loving this game.

hope more DLC comes re ships and skins .. but make it so you still have to earn them even if you buy it. after COD4 every online game should have this kinda progression system. and more race types .... eliminator would be cool

Dizzan

MINI Member
I'm still on the fence for this.

I didn't like the originals floaty controls. I think it really needs a demo. in fact, all psn games should have demos. It's ridiculous that they dont.

Banned
I missed this before:
speedpop said:
Just a question.

I was going to grab Wipeout HD till I saw some videos and it doesn't look anywhere near as fast as I was hoping (F-Zero & Ridge Racer are knocking it to the ground). Is that just due to slow crafts at the start or is that how the game is meant to be?
It starts off fairly slow—which is a good thing—and then speeds up quite a bit. I'm now on the Phantom class (4th speed) and it's getting pretty crazy.

Unfortunately, the only camera I've got access to right now only records at 15fps so it loses a lot of the sense of speed: Metropia, Phantom Class

sun-drop said:
it's funny ... we've had rigeracer, DMC, R&C, even MGS on ps3 already ... but playing wipEout HD has only FINALY given me that "Playstation" feeling again...
Probably because Ridge Racer 7 is basically an upgraded port of 6 from the 360.

I was thinking about it last night actually —I think PSN would be ideal for the next Ridge Racer, rather than a retail release.

I think arcade games like this would probably do much better as downloadable titles rather than being put out on Blu-Ray at full price.

WTFing

Banned
Dizzan said:
I'm still on the fence for this.

I didn't like the originals floaty controls. I think it really needs a demo. in fact, all psn games should have demos. It's ridiculous that they dont.
If there is one and only one PSN game that needs no demo or impression; it is Wipeout HD.

GodofWine

There needs to be a way to have online events that are "NO PILOT ASSIST" (if there is, I missed it).

I've been playing campaign with it off, and went online and everyone used it....so I had to...its kinda lame...

Besides that, this is the ballz!

spoon!

I cant figure out how anyone can actually race with pilot assist on. I used it for that one trophy and could barely do anything :lol

spoon! said:
I cant figure out how anyone can actually race with pilot assist on. I used it for that one trophy and could barely do anything :lol

Yeah I tried it once just to check it out, and thought it was awful. It's like you're not playing the game anymore.

biggkidd32 said:
Unlocked the XL HUD. I prefer the HD HUD, however. It fits the the overall aesthetic better.
I prefer the 2097 HUD since it's much easier to see what's going on in a quick glance, it does clash with the look of the game though I'll agree with that (but I do hate the HD HUD so much). The Wip3out HUD though I find is a happy medium between the two, easy to read while not being obtrusive.
Jax said:
I would like a stage/skin where you play WOHD... with the type of REZZY art that you see in the menu screen.
I want a Mirror's Edge-style level in there. :eek:

Ploid 3.0

What do you guys use for controls?

I tried motion handling and pitch at first. Then I moved to analog, with motion pitch. Then Straight analog. Now I'm on D-pad with cockpit view and I seem to do much better.

I haven't played a wipeout since psx and back then I had problems grasping the controls.

xero273

criesofthepast said:
why is they're so few people playing online? I see maybe 15 games max any time I check. Unless I'm doing something wrong here.

maybe some ppl are waiting for a patch to fix the freezing issue before going online.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
how long does it take the online leaderboards to update? i got 6th in time trial for sebenco climb in flash but it hasn't updated :(

The Gamespot review made no sense at all. Didn't they take into account that this is a 20 dollar game with tons of content, visual and aural presentation surpassing most retail games, and tons of fun as well?

jax (old)

Banned
biggkidd32 said:
Unlocked the XL HUD. I prefer the HD HUD, however. It fits the the overall aesthetic better.

THe HD hUD is the only one that:

a) displays music track name
b) displays ZONE tracks.

I think I'm going to go back to it very soon.

Ploid 3.0 said:

I tried motion handling and pitch at first. Then I moved to analog, with motion pitch. Then Straight analog. Now I'm on D-pad with cockpit view and I seem to do much better.

I haven't played a wipeout since psx and back then I had problems grasping the controls.

control wise, I just finished a 2-3 hour play session and I just swapped out fire for L1 + (circle?) for absorb. Took a few too many races to adjust but I kept telling myself to stick with it as I'd been playing WOHD for days now. I think this setup is better because your finger never leaves the accelerate button.

Also changed the sensitivity of the accelerate button down (?) and changed the air brakes to about 55%. Now the ship responds to the brakes a lot better. I was trying to get gold in one of the time trials and this setup allowed me to do it.

* can someone care to comment on the accelerate sensitivity? I'm not sure if that's a good adjustment. The air brake adjustment is good once you get used to how much more sensitive and quick to trigger in effect it is.

SOL races = assholes CPU attacking you like mad, either that or constantly bumping into you as the turn/tracks are narrow.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
i need a guide for this game. im trying to beat some of the final tracks on the VERTIGO campaing and cant get through.

jax (old)

Banned
navii said:
i need a guide for this game. im trying to beat some of the final tracks on the VERTIGO campaing and cant get through.

no guide will be able to help you. play play play play more. And VERTIGO? um... good luck with the rest of the game.

icechai

Wow so addictive, especially when you're just trying for that gold medal, just 1 more lap! Also some of the shortcuts from boost jumping is crazy! Fly way over the track :)

criesofthepast said:
why is they're so few people playing online? I see maybe 15 games max any time I check. Unless I'm doing something wrong here.

Game freezes for me whenever i'm on PSN and try to open up a race, i think this is how it is for quite a few others as well.

Probably because I'm new at Wipeout, I find Analog SOOO much better than the d-pad. You can really control how tight you want to turn, also I use close view so I can see where the boost, weapons, and enemies are better (racing games I usually use cockpit view but this is like car combat/racer :p)

navii

whoa! i finaly got through a race by changing teams (from AD to AG)

navii

Jax said:
no guide will be able to help you. play play play play more. And VERTIGO? um... good luck with the rest of the game.

lol. i own every wipeout game too :(

icechai said:
Wow so addictive, especially when you're just trying for that gold medal, just 1 more lap! Also some of the shortcuts from boost jumping is crazy! Fly way over the track :)
Elaborate.

Probably because I'm new at Wipeout, I find Analog SOOO much better than the d-pad. You can really control how tight you want to turn, also I use close view so I can see where the boost, weapons, and enemies are better (racing games I usually use cockpit view but this is like car combat/racer :p)
I use the analog as well. It's excellent.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Bugnology said:
If there is one and only one PSN game that needs no demo or impression; it is Wipeout HD.

Considering I won't be buying it unless I see a demo means you are wrong.

The only game that would not need a demo are probably tetris and pacman.

jax (old)

Banned
Dizzan said:

then don't buy it. I hope they never release a demo so you can just go sit in your corner and cry.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Finished all the events. This is my first wipeout and I really like the controls and the way the ships handle (especially at phantom level). Now to try and get gold in all the events, I heard it gets you
chrome paint for the ships

FabCam said:
When you exit the last corner there's a boost pad. Hit the pad and aim off to the left. You can fly over the barrier. It's very tricky to land it though.

Perfect instructions :D

Took me exactly 6 tries! Wewt!

Game is freakin' beautiful.

Yagharek

Dizzan said:

If you want a demo, get Pure and/or Pulse. If you dont have either of those get 2097 and pretend its on PS3.

Dizzan

MINI Member
RandomVince said:
If you want a demo, get Pure and/or Pulse. If you dont have either of those get 2097 and pretend its on PS3.

I tried to dl one of the psp demos off the store. It doesn't work for some reason.
I have Wipeout PSOne on my ps3 but it's so dated it's hard to play.

Jax said:
then don't buy it. I hope they never release a demo so you can just go sit in your corner and cry.

????? You must have the biggest e-peen on the internets dude. I can't even imagine how cool it would be to be you. You must be like really popular and shit.

I want to be you. Seriously.

eso76

i woke up determined to get my revenge against the people living upstairs (moving...actually dragging all their furniture around and vacuumin their house at 6 o clock on sunday mornings...EVERY WEEK) and i cranked the surround volume up to 0 (it's typically -40.0, anything higher than that and walls start trembling) while playing wipeout HD.
Holy shit, pure trip, that was a mystic experience.

(but i have a small complaint about the track design; it should involve a greater juxtaposition of smaller trackside elements and HUGE structures in the distance to boost the sense of scale and speed, most tracks are beautiful - i really hate sebenco climb though - but not as spectacular as i would have hoped, probably in the proper next gen sequel, which i'm hoping will be developed at some point)

Yagharek

Dizzan said:
I tried to dl one of the psp demos off the store. It doesn't work for some reason.
I have Wipeout PSOne on my ps3 but it's so dated it's hard to play.

That's a shame. If you get a hold of either Pulse/Pure then you'll find theyre both a good indication of what youll find in HD - minus the visuals of cousre, though they are solid.

TBH if you have played any Wipeouts in the past then you know what to expect (unless you played Fusion which isnt as good).

Yagharek

Ashhong said:
fucking zico time! jesus. impossible

Yeah man I can only get ~33 seconds, but I did shave 3 seconds off my previous best. The trick is to test out optimal points to use the speed boost. If you want some inspiration, try the Sebenco Climb speed lap and when you figure the best point in that to use the speed boost (crest of the biggest hill = MASSIVE air) then you might be insane enough to think of a good spot to try boosts for the Zico time. At least I hope that insanity helps me out :lol

Dizzan

MINI Member
RandomVince said:
That's a shame. If you get a hold of either Pulse/Pure then you'll find theyre both a good indication of what youll find in HD - minus the visuals of cousre, though they are solid.

TBH if you have played any Wipeouts in the past then you know what to expect (unless you played Fusion which isnt as good).

Thanks for the response. I'll try dl the psp demos again sometime but if it doesnt work, I might just give it HD a miss.

Yagharek

Dizzan said:
Thanks for the response. I'll try dl the psp demos again sometime but if it doesnt work, I might just give it HD a miss.

Which version of the demo are you getting? PAL PSN store or American version? IIRC there used to be a website www.yourpsp.com (or .au at the end) which did have a version of the Pure demo available. Maybe its still around?

Did one of the most epic online battles yesterday. I raced against some Americans who where quite enthusiastic. Suddenly one decided that Shenghou in reverse was a good track to race on. At that time it was my most hated track. After we started, two of us (both with Icaras ships) went into the lead and kept changing positions. Just before the finish I scraped a wall and the he was able to take the lead at a ships length. I was already chuckling because my latest pickup was a speedboost. Coming out of the last corner with the finish in sight I let my secret weapon rip..... only to see that my opponent did the same at exactly the same time! I shouted, he shouted! It was the most gratifying second place I ever finished in.:lol

Kasreyn

Neo Member
GrayFoxPL said:
Is it me or the online is plain awesome? So quick with no hastle or long loadings. One second you're playing online another you skip to campain, no problem, no annoying shit. Great!

I have to agree, I've seen so many bad examples of slow lobby (looking at you Motorstorm).

And if you select quit from the menu it instantly does what you want, no crappy "Are you sure" dialog with Yes/No and No as the default button. Why do some developers assume we don't know what we want? Sometimes it's like they think it's better they make decisions for us.

Dizzan

MINI Member
RandomVince said:
Which version of the demo are you getting? PAL PSN store or American version? IIRC there used to be a website www.yourpsp.com (or .au at the end) which did have a version of the Pure demo available. Maybe its still around?

Yer the PAL store. Psp can only be linked to one ps3 I think. I downloaded it but the file size was like 50kb?

I deleted and tried again to no avail. By the impressions so far though, it seems like it takes a great deal of time to master anyway. I don't really have the time for it.

I'll try that site. Thanks.

Ashhong

RandomVince said:
Yeah man I can only get ~33 seconds, but I did shave 3 seconds off my previous best. The trick is to test out optimal points to use the speed boost. If you want some inspiration, try the Sebenco Climb speed lap and when you figure the best point in that to use the speed boost (crest of the biggest hill = MASSIVE air) then you might be insane enough to think of a good spot to try boosts for the Zico time. At least I hope that insanity helps me out :lol

i can only get about 32.62 i think. i dont udnerstand what else i can do...

I tried to find a demo, didn't, and after reading some positive impressions, got this anyway (no Wipeout game has really impressed me since #2, though they've mostly been good). Then I noticed I had two downloads: the game and an unlock key. Why is there an unlock key if there's no demo? Maybe I missed it somehow, or maybe it's on the way...

Ashhong said:
i can only get about 32.62 i think. i dont udnerstand what else i can do...

In the corner after the long bumpy part with the speedpads going diagonally, you can use the boost to get air. Use this air to do a barrel roll. I haven't beaten Zicos time btw.;)

Top Bottom