• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official WipEout HD thrEad of unEcessary captilization

^ Turn down the sensitivity on the acceleration button.
GrayFoxPL said:
BTW 2097 Hud is awesome, but pickup icons changed againg so I had to re adjust. I can't go back to normal HUD, It'll fuck up my mind!
You shouldn't go back! That standard piece of shit don't hold a candle against the 2097 HUD. Though I prefer the Wip3out one myself.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
GrayFoxPL said:
Is it me or the online is plain awesome?

So quick with no hastle or long loadings. One second you're playing online another you skip to campain, no problem, no annoying shit. Great!

Weapons are fucking brutal online. Was in a race where I got eliminated like 4 times and took out 2 guys at the same time with the heat wave and got a throphy :D.

Getting a pickup with 7 other maniacs on track is insanely hard. People are "stealing" those in the last microsec. Shit's intense, I tell you that!

I love it when you're on last lap and shields are almost dead and you must decide whenever you absorb it or risk and try to take out the guy in front of you.

Peeps are sending me friend invites so now I have about 46 and fuck that, no more are getting in!

Only had one freeze online so far.

BTW 2097 Hud is awesome, but pickup icons changed againg so I had to re adjust. I can't go back to normal HUD, It'll fuck up my mind!

I feel like on drugs!

Yes it is awesome, as long as the retard host starts the game instead of sitting there.

Trevelyan

Banned
Alright, we need to devise some way to beat Zico's time. My personal best is 32.35, which is a fucking eternity away from his time. Anyway, a few things I learned, when you take the high road at the end, if youi come off high off the ramp to get on it, you can do like half a barrel role for a quick speed boost. It isn't much, but it helps. Also, something I've been doing, is after the last speed pad on the high road, I'll veer left and jump off, do a barrel role(much easier using the analog stick, btw) and land right on the speed pad. Any other suggestions? this trophy is a bitch =(

GrayFoxPL

PjotrStroganov said:
I'm one of those people who can use the X and square button at the same time but I'm having a really hard time to maintain good pressure on the X button. I've never had any problems with using the x button for throttle in PS1 and PS2 games but with Wipeout HD the muscle in the palm of my hand begins to hurt and after a while it takes quite some effort to maintain full throttle. A couple of times I was even wondering why my lap times were so bad.... only to discover that I wasn't applying full pressure on the X button. I had to stop to give my hand some rest.

I guess my hand got used to the Xbox 360 controller too much. Got to keep on training to get it fit again.:)

I had the same problem. I was shooting machine guns and go "Hey! Why am I slowing down?". Had to reconfigure the controls, there was no other way around it.

Now I have "shooting" on R1, absorb on L1, back view on square.

Absorbing at any given time is really important, so it must be on a button that doesn't colide with acceleration.

GrayFoxPL

lethial said:
Yes it is awesome, as long as the retard host starts the game instead of sitting there.

Happens all the time, yeah.

There should be a "beeb - you're a host" now signal for those. :lol :lol

Danne-Danger said:
^ Turn down the sensitivity on the acceleration button.

You shouldn't go back! That standard piece of shit don't hold a candle against the 2097 HUD. Though I prefer the Wip3out one myself.

Ah so that's what that option is for. Tnx for bringing that up. I thought it had something to do with the way thrust was being applied. I put it on 100%:lol

Btw, the 2097 hud is nice but don't you find it somewhat too big?

Edit: Holy.... I just used the Wip3out hud. It's even more awesome.

epmode

PjotrStroganov said:
I'm one of those people who can use the X and square button at the same time but I'm having a really hard time to maintain good pressure on the X button.
Set the analog sensitivity on accelleration to 10%. You won't need to press much at all for full accelleration.

edit: TOO LATE

GrayFoxPL said:
I had the same problem. I was shooting machine guns and go "Hey! Why am I slowing down?". Had to reconfigure the controls, there was no other way around it.

Now I have "shooting" on R1, absorb on L1, back view on square.

Absorbing at any given time is really important, so it must be on a button that doesn't colide with acceleration.

Good advice. I think I'll be doing that too. I never use the back view anyway.

Clinton514

The game won't run for me unless I log off of the PSN. On or offline play.

I'm downloading that new optional firmware 2.43 to see if any difference is made. I heard it has to do with having a large friends list. It's pissing me off too.

Has this happened to anyone else, I filtered the server list to my friends only and joined just him in a tournament, after the 4 races were over and it went back to the menu he left, I followed. Searched for another host but forgot i still had friends only filter on, then my own name popped up saying i was the host of a game, I went in and there was 5 other people, but the game didnt start cause it said i was host but i didnt have any option to start it :|

Double H

Trevelyan said:
Alright, we need to devise some way to beat Zico's time. My personal best is 32.35, which is a fucking eternity away from his time. Anyway, a few things I learned, when you take the high road at the end, if youi come off high off the ramp to get on it, you can do like half a barrel role for a quick speed boost. It isn't much, but it helps. Also, something I've been doing, is after the last speed pad on the high road, I'll veer left and jump off, do a barrel role(much easier using the analog stick, btw) and land right on the speed pad. Any other suggestions? this trophy is a bitch =(
I got down to 32.14 — but to cut off over a second is going to be crazy hard.

Stuff I've been doing for extra speed:

1) Save a boost power up until the end of a lap and use it just as you cross the start/finish line, extra speed for a new lap with a new boost for use as normal

2) You can semi-barrell roll for a slight boost on the first undulation after the first corner and as you get onto the high road

3) I found it a little bit faster if as you hit the fourth boost pad on the high road, barrel roll off onto the lower track and if you land it correctly you can get another boost from the pad down there

1-D_FTW

Holy crap! I've finally played Wipeout again after reading that you should turn acceleration sensitivity down to 10 percent if you don't wanna mash the button... and I no longer suck (completely).

Good God. I have no idea what my acceleration rate was before (I haven't played since original game and I have enough problems without staring at that.) But it's a new game. Gold medals. When I run through those electric fields, I'm no longer crawling at 2 miles an hour. F yeah!

Flunkie said:
This game is like sex for your eyes.

Funny...I was explaining that to a buddy today. But Zone Mode is like having sex with five Megan Fox's at the same time.

Awesome...but will eventually burn out your eyes and give you a stroke.

mintylurb

Has anyone noticed this screen tearing at the top whenever you're turning your craft?

wotear_01.jpg

spoon!

mintylurb said:
Has anyone noticed this screen tearing at the top whenever you're turning your craft?
Yup. tho it's really minor and I only seem to ever notice it on one turn in sebenco climb o0

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I think it's Zen, then Super Zen (?)...then Subsonic or Supersonic. After that I have no idea cause Sub/Supersonic or whatever is like zone 50 and I havent gotten past zone 48.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Just a question.

I was going to grab Wipeout HD till I saw some videos and it doesn't look anywhere near as fast as I was hoping (F-Zero & Ridge Racer are knocking it to the ground). Is that just due to slow crafts at the start or is that how the game is meant to be?

Had a nice five hour session with the game this afternoon. Needless to say, my eyes were bloodshot by the end of it. I fucking love this game. I always enjoyed the series, but this one has completely compelled me.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I can't believe it but my wife is starting to totally like the game. Although the game seems to dip well below 60fps in split-screen mode.

Now this is a casual game I can get behind!

spoon!

speedpop said:
Just a question.

I was going to grab Wipeout HD till I saw some videos and it doesn't look anywhere near as fast as I was hoping (F-Zero & Ridge Racer are knocking it to the ground). Is that just due to slow crafts at the start or is that how the game is meant to be?
You're probably watching people flying in the shit slow racing classes. There's nothing slow about wipeout when you get into it :lol

Having said that, the difficulty in wipeout imo is making smooth, fast turns in what essentially is a floating boat with a rocket strapped to its arse. The speed just makes it that much harder

btkadams

speedpop said:
Just a question.

the speed class at the start is so incredibly slow compared to the highest speed. seriously, the highest speed races are mindblowing. around 1000 km/h. im guess most of the vids shown on the internet so far arent of the fastest speed class since they can be pretty difficult.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
it be too weird fucking 5 megan foxes. actualy i rather have 5 different women seperately than at the same time, or maybe 2 at a time.

mintylurb said:

wotear_01.jpg

Yep. better up the top than down the middle.

xero273

Witchfinder General said:
I can't believe it but my wife is starting to totally like the game. Although the game seems to dip well below 60fps in split-screen mode.

Now this is a casual game I can get behind!

I seem to remember TTP saying split screen is 30 FPS.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
This might just be a case of me sucking at the game, but any speed class above flash is more annoying than fun to me. The turns are to sharp and fast and sometimes it's like all I do is air braking left and then right or bouncing between walls and fishtailing.
To me it's like the game loses the soft flow I'm so enjoying in the slower classes, floating above the tracks in high speeds (but not too high!). When playing on flash or venom (well, venom is a bit too slow maybe) it's more relaxing and you can enjoy the different tracks more just for that reason. I tried the phantom class out, and man, that's just way too fast for me.

Other than that I'm really liking the game. I think I've got one or two events left to lock up, and I've started going back to try and get gold on all earlier events.

jax (old)

Banned
mintylurb said:

wotear_01.jpg

game has minor vsync problems sometimes to maintain the framerate. I've played for hours, noticed it maybe 6-7 times? Its defnitely there though.

U K Narayan elite racing? you ARE hardcore. I can't even finish 7th in an elite race.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Jax said:
game has minor vsync problems sometimes to maintain the framerate. I've played for hours, noticed it maybe 6-7 times? Its defnitely there though.

U K Narayan elite racing? you ARE hardcore. I can't even finish 7th in an elite race.

I'd say that's got a lot to do with what speed class it's in. I tried an elite race in the venom speed class and it's wasn't that difficult.

epmode

ItsInMyVeins said:
This might just be a case of me sucking at the game, but any speed class above flash is more annoying than fun to me. The turns are to sharp and fast and sometimes it's like all I do is air braking left and then right or bouncing between walls and fishtailing.
To me it's like the game loses the soft flow I'm so enjoying in the slower classes, floating above the tracks in high speeds (but not too high!). When playing on flash or venom (well, venom is a bit too slow maybe) it's more relaxing and you can enjoy the different tracks more just for that reason. I tried the phantom class out, and man, that's just way too fast for me.
Yeah, but once you get Phantom down..

Getting golds in Phantom Wipeout tracks is right up there with the best videogames have to offer. Make sure you're playing the XL soundtrack for extra awesome. (OR MAYBE GAME 3.0 AMIRITE)

spoon!

ItsInMyVeins said:
This might just be a case of me sucking at the game, but any speed class above flash is more annoying than fun to me. The turns are to sharp and fast and sometimes it's like all I do is air braking left and then right or bouncing between walls and fishtailing..

The thing you need to realize with the airbrakes is that for most craft, using the brakes will cause the ship to turn in a sharp L (instead of a smooth C), which means you need to approach the corner differently than as you would normally on a slower speed class...

edit: just started phantom class races. I'm gonna say this right now. This is my favourite ps3 game of this year. End.

ItsInMyVeins said:

Other than that I'm really liking the game. I think I've got one or two events left to lock up, and I've started going back to try and get gold on all earlier events.
Try one of the easier maps and do speed laps on Phantom or the one below (maybe start with Phantom and then step down to make a nice and easy transition), once you get used to the speed and develop the muscle memory to instinctively execute sidesteps and such you'll see the tracks and the game in a whole new different light (at least that's what worked for me :p). You really just need to get used to it that's all.

This game seriously destroys everything I've played on the Playstation 3. Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted, Ninja Gaiden Sigma -- everything. This game is fucking ownage.

EktorPR

It seriously sucks that I haven't been able to play this game anymore as of last night. Thursday night was crash-less, but since yesterday I've only been met with crashes once I hit "Campaign" on the menu screen.

Seriously sucks. :(

Did anyone beat Zico's score yet? I tried it last night, and was like 4 whole seconds off from actually even coming even with it.

Also, I did the 99 lap trophy, and got a really good time on one of the laps. So I went to the leader board to see where I was, and my time should be in the 9th place. But it isn't for some reason. Can some check who's in the 9th, 10th and 11th spot for the first track, on the 2nd speed class? (Sorry I don't remember the names....)

Top Bottom