• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official WipEout HD thrEad of unEcessary captilization

Trevelyan

Banned
Justin Dailey said:
Amazing! Congrats on that. Are you using assist?
Nope. Just really learning the track. I'd probably be able to make it to 20 but the first turn out of the gate always fucks me over in the higher speeds. =(

jmd494

Trevelyan said:
Nope. Just really learning the track. I'd probably be able to make it to 20 but the first turn out of the gate always fucks me over in the higher speeds. =(
Mao Therma...is that the first course that Zone is available on in career?

I've got some practicing to do! :D

Maybe I'll try SIXAXIS control.

EDIT: That damn 6th (??) zone when it gets completely orange fucks me over. I can't see shit!

jmd494

Brobzoid said:
yeh. I hate it when zone mode hits rapier. I can't see worth shit. :\
Exactly what I was saying in my post right above yours! wth is with that skin?

Edit: I just saw that you said "yeh" and were agreeing with me. I thought it was just a coincidence you posted that :lol

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
the ranking system i quite fucked up - i did some time attacks and the game told me im 1. wolrdwide ... than on "records" there is someone else 1. (one second slower then me)
but my time is listed when i change to "my" stats ???

(its cool playing on phantom - nobody does - so its easy to get 1st place !!! first time ever for me :) )

-edit-

befor you go in zone play some time attacks on phantom ... youll get used to the speed very quick... i did some "perfelt" laps ... and thats like zone ~20 stuff (i think)

edit2

haha theres only 2 people playing metropia on phantom and finished it under 9min. :)

1. 0.23 min
2. 0.28 min
3. 9.59 min

so funny - why is nobody playing phantom??

edit3

i played online the first time - oh my god is it intense! wow...

KAOS

Wipeout Rebirth!!! Absolutely amazing! My second favorite racing game this year after pure (and there is still more racing games to come out before the year is up).

ShortBus

Jax said:

GAME NEEDS THE SPECIAL EUROPEAN WIPOEOUT ART TRACKS! I loved them

I'll pay DLC money for these: http://www.windyman.net/?p=70

burgertown_1.jpg

burgertown_2.jpg

burgertown_3.jpg

burgertown_4.jpg

angelhair_3.jpg

angelhair_2.jpg

angelhair_4.jpg

123klan_4.jpg

Agreed.
I hope they bring back the Puma/Coke craft as well.
model1.jpg

pic1.jpg

Raistlin

Just spent the last few hours playing ... my god, I can barely breathe right now :lol

Now that I've had more time with it, all I can say is this game is FUCKING AMAZING. One of the best games this gen IMO. I can't believe how exhilarating it is.

Newbie's Questions:

1) I'm having trouble getting the controls right. I turned down the sensitivity on the airbrakes and the motion but now it feels like I'm not turning sharp enough. Thoughts?

2) What is the best way to make the sharpest turn possible?

3) How do I even out my ship after going off a ramp and landing without bumping on the ground?

4) How do you unlock different ship colors?

5) What does high loyalty get you?

6) General tips for someone who is sucking hard? I feel like I'm doing something wrong, I have lots of trouble even placing bronze in most races.

Sallokin

It's driving me crazy that this had to come out the same week I'm moving. My furniture (and thus my TVs) aren't getting delivered until Oct 6. All I have to play this on is a 13" LCD.... My eyes aren't bleeding from the amazing, they're bleeding from squinting at the fucking screen.

ShortBus

The Lamonster said:
Newbie's Questions:

1) I'm having trouble getting the controls right. I turned down the sensitivity on the airbrakes and the motion but now it feels like I'm not turning sharp enough. Thoughts?

3) How do I even out my ship after going off a ramp and landing without bumping on the ground?

6) General tips for someone who is sucking hard? I feel like I'm doing something wrong, I have lots of trouble even placing bronze in most races.

1) and 2) Pick a craft with better handling. Lay off the gas slightly while turning.Turn off assist.

3) Pitching the nose up helps...a little. Best to just barrel roll and not worry about it.

4) Loyalty points.

5) Ship designs,alternate HUDs,etc

6) Learn the layout of each track. Memorize the speed pad locations. Absorb your Pickups when your sheild is getting low. Barrel-roll off high jumps. Learn to side-step...

sankt-Antonio

The Lamonster said:
Newbie's Questions:

not that iam expert,but:

1) let them be like they where - youll get used to them

2) tap the airbreak buttuns => side step

3)you can steer your ship up and down, if you do this in the air you can get the ship to land smooth

4)earn loyality pionts (ergo: just use one ship a long time...itll unlock itself)

5) 4)

6) just go on - and dont use ships witch are hard to control (like piranha)

edit: beaten..hard

roMonster

I bought the game on Thursday and tried going online today but I get a network error (or it just says connecting and nothing else). I'm signed in into PSN (though I have been getting booted off more often lately).

Anyone else in NA (Canada) have this problem?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Is it just me, or do the AI seem to mainly go for you when you play a race? Sometimes it's like they all just aim for me when I play :O

McLovin

roMonster said:
I bought the game on Thursday and tried going online today but I get a network error (or it just says connecting and nothing else). I'm signed in into PSN (though I have been getting booted off more often lately).

Anyone else in NA (Canada) have this problem?
Nope, but I use to have disconnect problems with my old router. It might be just that.

seb

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Newbie's Questions:

I'm also interested in this. The best I can do right now: release the gas completely, full force on airbreak on the side I want to turn, steer in this direction. As soon as I'm facing the right direction, release brake, and GAS. Also, the sound of your engine when you put back the gas is most satisfying.
I can turn pretty sharp like that, but I'm loosing a lot of speed.Sebenco climb on rapier is raping me, I'm fighting the whole race for 7th place :lol

decon

Okay so has anyone beaten the Zico time? My best is 32.45 and that's with boost from the start line, all boost pads crossed and a barrel roll with the upper route? What am I missing.

Omikaru

This is my first WipEout game ever, and I saw it for £12-odd on PSN and decided to take the plunge. And oh boy, was it worth it or what?

I love this game. The fact that it plays silky smooth (it is 60fps, right?) and is in 1080p makes this game look absolutely stunning on my setup. Is there a demo out, or one coming, that I can point my friends to in order to make believers out of them? Because right now they're finding it hard to take the plunge on a racing game, despite the awesome price it's at and I couldn't find any way of showing the game to them without them all cramming around in my room to play.

Either way, this is one of the best games I've played for £12 in a very, very long time. Oh so worth it indeed.

sankt-Antonio said:
not that iam expert,but:

1) let them be like they where - youll get used to them

2) tap the airbreak buttuns => side step

3)you can steer your ship up and down, if you do this in the air you can get the ship to land smooth

4)earn loyality pionts (ergo: just use one ship a long time...itll unlock itself)

5) 4)

6) just go on - and dont use ships witch are hard to control (like piranha)

edit: beaten..hard
This might be the problem right here. I liked the design the best and have only been using that one to build up loyalty points. Still haven't gotten new colors though.

I'll try another ship!

FabCam

decon said:
Okay so has anyone beaten the Zico time? My best is 32.45 and that's with boost from the start line, all boost pads crossed and a barrel roll with the upper route? What am I missing.

Me too. I think it's practically impossible. It's probably possible to shave off another 0.5 secs but over 1 second? It's insane.

sankt-Antonio

The Lamonster said:
This might be the problem right here. I liked the design the best and have only been using that one to build up loyalty points. Still haven't gotten new colors though.

I'll try another ship!

its like the hardest ship to control in the game :)

Dizzy-4U

Ok, how am I supposed to do a barrel roll on Moa Therma? There are no jumps whatsoever. Maybe I need a faster ship to jump over a hill or something...

ItsInMyVeins said:
Is it just me, or do the AI seem to mainly go for you when you play a race? Sometimes it's like they all just aim for me when I play :O
I thought so when I first tried Elite, but the more I play the less it holds true. Now even when I play with the Icarus I'm rarely bothered by the AI's unless they're blocking the path.

Might be a different situation in the campaign but in Racebox they're fair and balanced.

FabCam

Dizzy-4U said:
Ok, how am I supposed to do a barrel roll on Moa Therma? There are no jumps whatsoever. Maybe I need a faster ship to jump over a hill or something...

When you exit the last corner there's a boost pad. Hit the pad and aim off to the left. You can fly over the barrier. It's very tricky to land it though.

McLovin

biggkidd32 said:
This is game is an absolute steal.
So true.. They could have sold it for 29.99 and it still would have been a good deal. I probably wouldn't have bought it though. I figured 19.99 what the hell. I hope it sells really well.. then maybe we'll get more games like this.

LordK

ItsInMyVeins said:

I thought/think(maybe) the same. But then again, I can only see what's going on around me so that makes it look like they're all out to get my ass. There's also the possibility of the "it's never my fault" gamer syndrome. There's no way I could have lost because I'm awesome. The game cheated and only went after me!

gbovo

ItsInMyVeins said:
nah, I usually see the AI racers taking each other out during races. If anything, they don't bother me until I drop a bomb or two on the track.

Dizzy-4U

FabCam said:
When you exit the last corner there's a boost pad. Hit the pad and aim off to the left. You can fly over the barrier. It's very tricky to land it though.
Yay! I did it! Having a boost item helps a lot too. Thanks

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
copybeaver said:
I thought/think(maybe) the same. But then again, I can only see what's going on around me so that makes it look like they're all out to get my ass. There's also the possibility of the "it's never my fault" gamer syndrome. There's no way I could have lost because I'm awesome. The game cheated and only went after me!

I know, but the thing is that at times I get hit by like a bomb and my craft pretty much stops, and immediately after that I get hit by someone else. Sometimes they don't attack me at all. Of course I see them hit each other too, but it's still annoying when you get attacked a whole bunch of times during a single race.

jett

D-Member
:lol Oh wow I just noticed I tilt my head and lean my body as I turn...I haven't done something like that since forever. This game is totally awesome.

LordK

ItsInMyVeins said:
I know, but the thing is that at times I get hit by like a bomb and my craft pretty much stops, and immediately after that I get hit by someone else. Sometimes they don't attack me at all. Of course I see them hit each other too, but it's still annoying when you get attacked a whole bunch of times during a single race.

Yeah I've had plenty of occasions were some guys behind me would just assault the shit out of me. I'd be like in 3rd place and move back to 8th instantly because of that, haha.

Anobyl

ShortBus said:
6) Learn the layout of each track. Memorize the speed pad locations. Absorb your Pickups when your sheild is getting low. Barrel-roll off high jumps. Learn to side-step...

!? How do you do that?

Had a real good day online today. Won the majority of al races I did during a few hours. Wow! It all began with me winning a 12 race tourny yesterday(trophy yeah!) and me learning the tracks better than I could in SP. In the end, this day has really helped me getting to know most of the tracks.

Ryuartyi

Banned
Has anyone found a place to do a barrel roll on Moa Therma? I tried doing a time trial on Phantom and used a boost, but I got no air time.

GrayFoxPL

Is it me or the online is plain awesome?

So quick with no hastle or long loadings. One second you're playing online another you skip to campain, no problem, no annoying shit. Great!

Weapons are fucking brutal online. Was in a race where I got eliminated like 4 times and took out 2 guys at the same time with the heat wave and got a throphy :D.

Getting a pickup with 7 other maniacs on track is insanely hard. People are "stealing" those in the last microsec. Shit's intense, I tell you that!

I love it when you're on last lap and shields are almost dead and you must decide whenever you absorb it or risk and try to take out the guy in front of you.

Peeps are sending me friend invites so now I have about 46 and fuck that, no more are getting in!

Only had one freeze online so far.

BTW 2097 Hud is awesome, but pickup icons changed againg so I had to re adjust. I can't go back to normal HUD, It'll fuck up my mind!

I feel like on drugs!

I'm one of those people who can use the X and square button at the same time but I'm having a really hard time to maintain good pressure on the X button. I've never had any problems with using the x button for throttle in PS1 and PS2 games but with Wipeout HD the muscle in the palm of my hand begins to hurt and after a while it takes quite some effort to maintain full throttle. A couple of times I was even wondering why my lap times were so bad.... only to discover that I wasn't applying full pressure on the X button. I had to stop to give my hand some rest.

I guess my hand got used to the Xbox 360 controller too much. Got to keep on training to get it fit again.:)

Top Bottom