• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

This game is pretty much CGI level graphics already.

I just played it on the 65" plasma at my girlfriend's and it's almost on par with one of those Assassin's Creed/The Witcher 3 trailers.

No joke. These visuals, miniscule loading times, frame rate that goes well above 30 and never dips below.

The rest of the console dev community needs to step the fuck up. RAD just elevated the shit out of the game.

Just throwing this out there: at PSX, I asked the devs about the framerate (looked 60FPS from a distance, lol) and they said it was a locked 30FPS. The motion blur may be giving the illusion that it's actually running >30FPS. How sure are you that the game is actually running at that high of a framerate?

I just played it on the 65" plasma at my girlfriend's and it's almost on par with one of those Assassin's Creed/The Witcher 3 trailers.

No joke. These visuals, miniscule loading times, frame rate that goes well above 30 and never dips below.

The rest of the console dev community needs to step the fuck up. RAD just elevated the shit out of the game.

I bought in so much because of how they looked up to UC2 and how the story was presented. So if it's graphics only I'd be hesitant into buying in. The biggest piece of presentation pie I care about is if it delivers on the narrative aspect, as a game can look like Avatar for all I care. And from reading non spoiler impressions the story seems paper thin with nice window dressing.
Still going to buy it to show off the technical aspects to friends and family I guess.

MattyG

Banned
Is it wrong to be so hard right now. Can't wait to see what devs are gonna be doing at the tail end of this generation,
herman-cain-smile.gif

Being hard has never been more right.

mephixto

Banned

Fck no!!! putting shit tons of dirt post processing effects to hide flaws is not the way the devs need to follow. I better put mud on my monitor if I want a game to look like that.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Just throwing this out there: at PSX, I asked the devs about the framerate (looked 60FPS from a distance, lol) and they said it was a locked 30FPS. The motion blur may be giving the illusion that it's actually running >30FPS. How sure are you that the game is actually running at that high of a framerate?

The TV must have a pretty high refresh rate.

Still, no fucking joke.

The effects, level of detail, post processing, textures... It's hard to believe sometimes that it's happening in real time.

I don't think ever has a game or movie better recreated the gutters from Victorian London, or the brass, wood and marblestone interiors of the day so realistically.

What a majestic fucking game.

What a majestic fucking game.

By the way, not sure if you can remember this, but was the credits of the game long?

Shinobi said that the game pretty much utilised zero-outsourcing, and I'd thought it'd be nice for those who have finished it to see the credits on that point.

Fck no!!! putting shit tons of dirt post processing effects to hide flaws is not the way the devs need to follow. I better put mud on my monitor if I want a game to look like that.

What? Every game used certain effects to receive a final look that they wanted. And that's definitely not mud.

I mean you can try it if you like.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

The only dirt here is in your mouth , guy.

You don't know what you're talking about.

There are no flaws in this game's graphics. There is nothing to hide.
By the way, not sure if you can remember this, but was the credits of the game long?

Shinobi said that the game pretty much utilised zero-outsourcing, and I'd thought it'd be nice for those who have finished it to see the credits on that point un.

No, not very long. Just a lot of various SCE branches and localization .

They do list a lot of licenses at the end that were straight gibberish to me, but I've never seen anything like that in any other major PlayStation release.

G_Berry

Banned
Definitely agree with that, it's amazing the hate that both games received(especially RYSE) when a lot of that hate was bogus.

For instance:

1) Most enemies are just the same characters repeated.

You mean like every other game nowadays? I never heard this level of hate toward Assassin's Creed which does exactly the same thing.

2) QTEs are forced and accomplish nothing.

QTEs are completely optional except for one or two parts in the game where it is done masterfully. QTEs are also used in a way that you can choose what you'll receive on the fly for completing them successfully(health, gold, valor & etc.).

3) 900p

Still one of the best looking next-gen games on both systems.

4) Multiplayer

Unlocks, levels, moving stages, multiple opponent types and skills... oh and fun.

Have you played and beaten RYSE?

Great post. RYSE while not the greatest game ever conceived, did not deserve the hate and ridicule it received and on this very forum I might add.

Never forget the gif's picking the game to death over the smallest issue. Complaints of length, qte and so on. It was a free for all.

I'll be picking up the order for sure but this game does appear to be extremely linear and full of qte. The lack of multi player is also a big concern when it comes to longevity be it pvp or co-op.

I think gamers have a right to voice their concerns when it comes to paying full price for a game that by all accounts (you tube play through included) is very short and content light.

Compared to RYSE and crytek, the order and RAD are getting off lightly.

Gestault

...frame rate that goes well above 30 and never dips below.

My understanding is this would introduce infrequent jitter on the player's side if it weren't carefully matched with display refresh rates. Do you specifically know that it goes above 30?

cool_dude

Banned
Great post. RYSE while not the greatest game ever conceived, did not deserve the hate and ridicule it received and on this very forum I might add.

Never forget the gif's picking the game to death over the smallest issue. Complaints of length, qte and so on. It was a free for all.

I'll be picking up the order for sure but this game does appear to be extremely linear and full of qte. The lack of multi player is also a big concern when it comes to longevity be it pvp or co-op.

I think gamers have a right to voice their concerns when it comes to paying full price for a game that by all accounts (you tube play through included) is very short and content light.

Compared to RYSE and crytek, the order and RAD are getting off lightly.

Loved Ryse. How come no one is posting gifs of clipping in The Order? I saw plenty of it in the playthrough youtube video (part 4).

Definitely agree with that, it's amazing the hate that both games received(especially RYSE) when a lot of that hate was bogus.

For instance:

1) Most enemies are just the same characters repeated.

You mean like every other game nowadays? I never heard this level of hate toward Assassin's Creed which does exactly the same thing.

2) QTEs are forced and accomplish nothing.

QTEs are completely optional except for one or two parts in the game where it is done masterfully. QTEs are also used in a way that you can choose what you'll receive on the fly for completing them successfully(health, gold, valor & etc.).

3) 900p

Still one of the best looking next-gen games on both systems.

4) Multiplayer

Unlocks, levels, moving stages, multiple opponent types and skills... oh and fun.

Have you played and beaten RYSE?

I was just playing Ryse. Still blows me away.I fully expect The Order to follow suit.

cool_dude

Banned
The only dirt here is in your mouth , guy.

You don't know what you're talking about.

There are no flaws in this game's graphics. There is nothing to hide.

There is clipping in The Order, so there's at least a flaw. I saw plenty of it in the playthrough youtube video (part 4) when he's going over the railings.

meanspartan

5.5 hour console ontime - 2 hours cutscenes -1 hour QTE = 2.5 hour "game"

While under 6 hours is a bit short for $60 to me, I don't get this line of thinking. Did you subtract cutscenes from Last of Us' length as well? Seems like this game has to meet some weird new "gameplay counts only" standard.

alterno69

Banned
Ryse was indeed a decent game, well worth a rent IMO, great graphics and atmosphere, but not great, again IMO, i did beat it and thought the lenght was ok.

8 hour games are fine by me, i usially don't beat longer games unless they're really story heavy and awesome like TLOU.

All games do that.

You just don't realize their post processing techniques until they release a presentation on it.

RexNovis

Banned
lol well to be fair, when everything is so damn perfect, I bet imperfections are way more noticeable

I can't wait till the game releases and open troll season on it ends. Once people are actually able to play the game themselves they'll be free to deservedly dismiss people who only watched a playthrough on youtube as it should be.

ron_bato

On a positive note, the official soundtrack is now available for public consumption (listening to it now on spotify) and it's damn good.

Jason Graves doing good work.

-MD-

I can't wait till the game releases and open troll season on it ends. Once people are actually able to play the game themselves they'll be free to deservedly dismiss people who only watched a playthrough on youtube as it should be.

The only parts they'll be able to dismiss are the parts where you're in direct control of your character walking around and/or shooting.

Nobody can dismiss someone discussing the QTE or cinematic sections, those will remain the same regardless of watching a video or holding the controller yourself.

benzy

The only parts they'll be able to dismiss are the parts where you're in direct control of your character walking around and/or shooting.

Nobody can dismiss someone discussing the QTE or cinematic sections, those will remain the same regardless of watching a video or holding the controller yourself.

I enjoyed playing the QTE sections of Shenmue more than I did watching those parts on youtube.

So the frame rate is above 30?

My understanding is this would introduce infrequent jitter on the player's side if it weren't carefully matched with display refresh rates. Do you specifically know that it goes above 30?

Hmmm, I'd hope it was locked at 30 instead of a constant fluctuation between 30 and 45ish. Devs should strive for a locked 60, and when it can't be done, lock it down to 30. Dat smooth smooth.

I think you all misunderstand. It is not unlocked - the final output is at 30 FPS, but if it rarely or never goes below this, the game is rendering at or above 30. All games do this, and in the case of The Last of Us Remastered, it runs above 60, meaning it can consistently deliver 60 FPS.

Zaki2407

Hmm... Just went to my local game shop near my office. I saw they already selling The Order. But it,s only for the Collector Edition (around US$100) and the Premium Edition (Around US$200). I decided to wait until Friday to pick up the normal package ^_^

Top Bottom