• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

fantomena

Finally received my review copy of the game. Snow + ice on Norwegian roads is not good for the mail so the pack got delayed, until today. :)

B-Cl2p7CcAIxoSL.jpg:medium

marcincz

So 7 hours according French review. Not bad I think. It should take me approx. 8-9 h then. 15/20 isn't bad, too. Ok. On friday I'll take it.

Seven seems pretty short still. Anyways, length doesn't really bother me, its more the impressions that say it isn't anything special.

ready at dawn's M.O. has been 'it isn't anything special'

i remember being impressed with daxter's visuals on psp at the time but not playing more than an hour because it was so dull to play

can't really count the god of war games since they are built on the foundation of a preexisting series anyways.

Kem0sabe

So if games use qte, values drop?

Is this a new marketing equation?

No, you are being disingenuous.

If you put value on half a game being movies and QTE's, then of course would will appreciate it.

Telltale has been successful because they use this method of story telling and price it accordingly.

But they market their games as Adventure games, a genre focused on story telling whose fans prefer to enjoy the script instead of shooting.

The order 1886 was marketed as an action game, more in line with TPS, a genre where players aren't probably enamored with the thought of spending half their gameplay time without being able to have full control of their character and shoot stuff...

I genuinely think the order is an interesting game, but like Lair and Heavenly Sword, in the previous generation, it might not be a game players are willing to invest in at full price.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I wonder how long the shit climate surrounding The Order will stay in tact. Like, will people with no interest in the game still be in the OT a week from now trying to convince everyone else that they shouldn't be enjoying it?

Harmen

He's right though. Doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Ryse looked great, and personally I really liked it, but that's not to say it wasn't a showcase to sell/show off the system, The order is the same thing, a bit LTTP, but still the same thing. No need to get the arse.

Every exclusive game is made to sell a system. There is nothing late to the party about this. It aims to be a cinematic action experience experience, which many people enjoy and not just like as some techdemo with the sole purpose to show the consoles graphical capabilities.

Will this game succeed in its goals? Well, time will tell. But RaD seems very passionate about it.

Ishan

Haven't played the game so can't comment on how satisfying the gameplay it but I've watched the playthriughs and given what I saw this review seems spot on on graphics . Roughly gameplay components (assume qte is considered movies) , length, score and who will like this game (as he said really depends on your opinion of what games are)

I think rad has been spot on and delivered what they wanted to a "cinematic" game . And I think sony's marketing for this also has been good given what this game really is . I think the reason so many of us disliked the marketing and rads interviews was our preconceived notions of what a tps is . Given how this game turned out all the rad comments on trying to incorporate various mechanics , story is first et are all valid and it makes sense they would only show so much of the gameplay asthere is only so much to go around . Having said that I feel this game would have been much better if it had been 2 hours or so longer with most of it being tps. Would have helped with length gameplay components balance furthered story more etc etc

FeiRR

Banned
Telltale games dont sell for 70 euros... i bet people would be screaming bloody murder if they did.
They also look like disfigured cartoons. Graphics is expensive, technology is expensive. You seriously don't understand a difference between an AAA game and a downloadable title from a publisher with last-gen technology? I'd love to play a Telltale game with AAA assets, I'd gladly pay the full price because their storytelling is very engaging. Unfortunately, their games look terrible even on a gaming PC and also have a lot of technical problems.
But they market their games as Adventure games, a genre focused on story telling whose fans prefer to enjoy the script instead of shooting.

The order 1886 was marketed as an action game, more in line with TPS, a genre where players aren't probably enamored with the thought of spending half their gameplay time without being able to have full control of their character and shoot stuff...
So now no attempts at mixing genres and experimenting to find new ways of expression in gaming are allowed because... you want it the old way? Funny thing, because I love shooters and story-driven games, at the same time. TO is a very interesting proposition for me then.

I genuinely think the order is an interesting game, but like Lair and Heavenly Sword, in the previous generation, it might not be a game players are willing to invest in at full price.
This always gets to me that some people think they know the gaming industry better than a company which has been there for 20 years and succesfully went through 3 generations of hardware. I read the same claims when Heavy Rain was released. Then it sold a lot and those people had to shut up. Also to remind you, Heavenly Sword is getting a sequel.

These threads made me forget why I fell in love with the Order. I have to bail out.

Final word:

Try and remember the amazing work done for character interaction, voice acting, music, satisfying gore effects, recreating the fucking victorian era, halfbreeds and innovative weapons.

I LOVE cutscenes and can't wait to watch every single minute of it. They placed a huge emphasis on character positioning, time and direction in cutscenes. I think this dedidaction will resonate with me personally as I try to analyse every cutscene.

Can't wait.

PBY

Banned
They also look like disfigured cartoons. Graphics is expensive, technology is expensive. You seriously don't understand a difference between an AAA game and a downloadable title from a publisher with last-gen technology? I'd love to play a Telltale game with AAA assets, I'd gladly pay the full price because their storytelling is very engaging. Unfortunately, their games look terrible even on a gaming PC and also have a lot of technical problems.

So now no attempts at mixing genres and experimenting to find new ways of expression in gaming are allowed because... you want it the old way? Funny thing, because I love shooters and story-driven games, at the same time. TO is a very interesting proposition for me then.

This always gets to me that some people think they know the gaming industry better than a company which has been there for 20 years and succesfully went through 3 generations of hardware. I read the same claims when Heavy Rain was released. Then it sold a lot and those people had to shut up. Also to remind you, Heavenly Sword is getting a sequel.
Lol at TO being an experimental thing. It's a AAA tps shooter with cutscenes and QTE. It's like the most done thing ever.

LordJim

So now no attempts at mixing genres and experimenting to find new ways of expression in gaming are allowed because... you want it the old way?

Current gen Sega-CD like games is not my idea of new ways of expression, personally.
Something like Shenmue mixed gameplay/cutscene/qtes pretty fucking nicely already and it was far more ambitious in a hardware like Dreamcast.

Telltale games are a regression as far as adventure games go in the first place,the writing and characters are what carries them through.

So yeah, if the future of gaming is reinventing the wheel, I will not buy it just yet

JAYSIMPLE

Banned

I could be getting this game wrong now I'm reading about telltale games. Does the order have dialogue options and let's me feel like I am controlling the shape of the story somehow?

camo

'The Order 1886 is for lovers of old fashioned single player experiences.'

This is it for me. Sometimes, I just want a bombastic, straight-forward yet engrossing game that I can enjoy by myself. No MP, grinding or open-world-vastness. Just a well written story with a dab of graphical prowess.

nib95

Banned
Some screenshots from areas previously shown in the different press trailers. Pretty crazy how good looking the game is.

16524508146_56485a69a4_o.jpg

16360820138_5697f722fd_o.jpg

16356874720_3994179b51_o.jpg

16362587257_f11b003941_o.jpg

Kem0sabe

AAA assets, look terrible, technology is expensive...

I do think you have spent too long staring at the pretty textures and not enough appreciating game visuals as more than the latest collection of graphics tech tricks.

Look at how gorgeous something like Stasis looks, done by two people working part time

or Shadowrun, done by a ridiculously small amount of money

AAA expensive graphics dont necessarily make a game good or add value to it for the consumer.

Old way? You mean how Bioshock manages to weave a compelling narrative with great visuals, good shooting segments into a coherent package that doesnt force the player to spend half his time watching movies or pushing a single button to kill a boss?

Heavenly sword's own developer said that the game didnt sell enough to even break even, so that sequel is a leap of faith more than good business.

Ricky_R

AAA assets, look terrible, technology is expensive...

I do think you have spent too long staring at the pretty textures and not enough appreciating game visuals as more than the latest collection of graphics tech tricks.

Look at how gorgeous something like Stasis looks, done by two people working part time
STASIS_GAME_DOT_COM_FREEBIE_-_Co.jpg

or Shadowrun, done by a ridiculously small amount of money

AAA expensive graphics dont necessarily make a game good or add value to it for the consumer.

I think his main point was that he would gladly pay as much for TWD as he's paying for The Order despite the nature of its gameplay. Granted, that he's asking for comparable visuals at least, but still...

Or maybe I'm wrong.

Corpekata

Banned
But Hellblade (in some form).

I mean, a self funded spiritual sidequel is not exactly reinforcing what he was getting at (that it did well enough to get a sequel).

But I mean NT won't even call it a spiritual sequel so I think it's just fans reading into things too much.

nemesun

My mate's nan who works at The Sun told me that the tea lady managed to play the whole game in half an hour while vacuuming the whole floor. She was quite impressed by the Dualshock 4's long range, cuz the place is as humongous as Peter Andre's forehead.

Tea Lady gives it: ☆☆☆/☆☆☆☆

+ Plays like a movie
+ Fashionable mustaches all around
+ Britannia envisioned by Nigel Farage

- Textures too muddy for her liking, needs a good dustin'
- Dreadful subject matter

Gibbo

This is it for me. Sometimes, I just want a bombastic, straight-forward yet engrossing game that I can enjoy by myself. No MP, grinding or open-world-vastness. Just a well written story with a dab of graphical prowess.

Yup - tbh I feel pretty drained with open world games as of late. I bought AC:Unity and Far Cry 4 on day 1, and both remain unfinished. I've spent 14 hours on the latter but I cannot bring myself to complete it. Doubt I ever will.

A good solid, short, linear Single player campaign is what I crave at the moment, and hopefully The Order brings just that. That question will be answered in the next few hours :)

uAQlKks.jpg

Kssio_Aug

That Vanquish comparison in terms of replayability doesnt seems right to me, besides I've never played The Order. I mean it because Vanquish besides a TPS has a hack'n slash vibe, where encourages finishing it at higher difficulties numerous times, at better times, getting more agile, and so on. I don't think The Order was meant to be nowhere like this.

I'm almost certain this game major flaw will be its replayability value. Imo of course, since I don't care too much for online competitive modes (a co-op would be glorious though) but I do enjoy a lot games with a nice replay value. But since there's no trophie for finishing at a harder difficulty, and it seems to me that there's no new game plus, unlockables, and so on, I'm inclined to believe there will be not enough reasons for a 2nd playthrough.

Still, the game seems to be very good and the shooting seems very satisfying, so I'm still considering pre-order it.

Haven't played it yet, but my expectations for the game have changed from a 3rd person story driven shooter to something for akin to Heavy Rain. Not saying its a bad thing, its just crazy how what you expect a game to be can totally change so quickly based off of early impressions.

I'm okay with a story driven game, especially if it looks like this game. I just worry about replayability. These sort of games are always a once-through type of deal for me since most of the magic is lost on subsequent playthroughs.

What I don't like is people in here trying to define what a game is. This game is whatever its artists intended it to be. You like it or you don't. Play and experience it or don't. I wouldn't say Sony or RAD has marketed it to be something its not, so it is what it is.

jmaine_ph

Haven't played it yet, but my expectations for the game have changed from a 3rd person story driven shooter to something for akin to Heavy Rain. Not saying its a bad thing, its just crazy how what you expect a game to be can totally change so quickly based off of early impressions.

I'm okay with a story driven game, especially if it looks like this game. I just worry about replayability. These sort of games are always a once-through type of deal for me since most of the magic is lost on subsequent playthroughs.

What I don't like is people in here trying to define what a game is. This game is whatever its artists intended it to be. You like it or you don't. Play and experience it or don't. I wouldn't say Sony or RAD has marketed it to be something its not, so it is what it is.
Well said.

Totally agree!
Exactly the reason why I and all my friends bought it.

Azdoune

The order use qte, less than heavy rain. Heavy rain is only qte.
Like you I think it's an experience and I want to try it before telling it's a bad game or too short.

Yeah this is pretty much my sentiments too.

Laws00

How come I don't see a lot of people streaming the game online. At least on Twitch

Some person in the chat said that the twitch cops are cracking down and banning accounts but I don't think that could be the case. The game officially comes out today right? There isn't a ban on streaming this game from early release is there ?

Top Bottom