• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

I was totally sure, I had no interest in this game "good graphics, but far from great shooting mechanics, flat story and characters I don't care for" is what I'm still thinking about this game,
but... I don't know this thread "story-driven old-school single-player experience" and the gorgeous screenshots make me kinda want to play this. I'll wait for some reviews, then decide.

They should think about online(with only one player needing a paid-copy) and local co-op self-contained DLC-missions btw.

So, is the street date relaxed or something... We are snowed in here on the east coast and I'd love nothing more than to trek through the snow to pick up a copy... But I can't imagine GameStop/Target/Walmart are selling the game yet.

Or are they?

Radec

saw this from another forum.

10991259_918882414811503_3049101228617686875_n.jpg

box is huge.

Saberus

How come I don't see a lot of people streaming the game online. At least on Twitch

Some person in the chat said that the twitch cops are cracking down and banning accounts but I don't think that could be the case. The game officially comes out today right? There isn't a ban on streaming this game from early release is there ?

???

Game release date is this Friday.

ron_bato

Well I just got my collectors edition. Played for about an hour, which got me to the beginning of chapter 2.

Hard difficulty, aim assist off. Had to adjust aim sensitivity to my liking as default was too high for me.

Cover system seemed pretty par for the course and intuitive. Combat felt satisfying and about as punchy as I'd expect. One thing I feared from watching the videos was that movement would be clunky and almost too heavy, but Galahad actually moved real well and faster than I thought he wouldn't.

I've only used blacksight once and I'm not sure if I 'get it' yet or I'm doing something wrong but I wasn't able to execute well with it yet.

Not going to spoil the story except that right now it's done a good job of catching my attention. The voice work and writing has been excellent, even for the random npcs. The banter in particular between the main characters have been really enjoyable.

There hasn't really been anything to throw me off yet, the worst thing I can say about the game so far is that combat encounters have been pretty standard. But that's to be expected anyway for the first chapter.

There's nothing I can say about the graphics really that hasn't been said before, its as good as people have been hyping it up to be.

These are pretty quick first impressions, I'll try to go in a little deeper later. But I'm enjoying the game so far.

Well I just got my collectors edition. Played for about an hour, which got me to the beginning of chapter 2.

Hard difficulty, aim assist off. Had to adjust aim sensitivity to my liking as default was too high for me.

Cover system seemed pretty par for the course and intuitive. Combat felt satisfying and about as punchy as I'd expect. One thing I feared from watching the videos was that movement would be clunky and almost too heavy, but Galahad actually moved real well and faster than I thought he wouldn't.

I've only used blacksight once and I'm not sure if I 'get it' yet or I'm doing something wrong but I wasn't able to execute well with it yet.

Not going to spoil the story except that right now it's done a good job of catching my attention. The voice work and writing has been excellent, even for the random npcs. The banter in particular between the main characters have been really enjoyable.

There hasn't really been anything to throw me off yet, the worst thing I can say about the game so far is that combat encounters have been pretty standard. But that's to be expected anyway for the first chapter.

There's nothing I can say about the graphics really that hasn't been said before, its as good as people have been hyping it up to be.

These are pretty quick first impressions, I'll try to go in a little deeper later. But I'm enjoying the game so far.

Honestly, this sounds pretty damn good.

I relly don't care about a multiplayer. I would had love a coop horde mode though.
That being said I can't wait for the game. It looks fantastic and I will support RAD.

Ricky_R

Ahh, the bolded is GREAT to hear. Anyway, thanks for the quick impressions.

iratA

These threads made me forget why I fell in love with the Order. I have to bail out.

Final word:

Try and remember the amazing work done for character interaction, voice acting, music, satisfying gore effects, recreating the fucking victorian era, halfbreeds and innovative weapons.

I LOVE cutscenes and can't wait to watch every single minute of it. They placed a huge emphasis on character positioning, time and direction in cutscenes. I think this dedidaction will resonate with me personally as I try to analyse every cutscene.

Can't wait.

I couldn't agree more. This is going in the running for my POTY (Post Of The Year)

Its the attention to the smallest of details that impress me the most these days. In an era of rehashes, remakes, multiplats, Unreal Engine's, annual franchises and the general acceptance of a thousand sequels.... games like the The Order 1886 stand out in my mind. The reach to create something so visually striking probably won't be seen again until Naughty Dog's next. Can't wait to soak in this game later this week!

I was trying to search the thread for wolfenstein comparisons, but couldn't find anything. This thread is massive. It was one of my favorite games from last year. Is the Order on par length-wise and fun gameplay-wise for someone else who loves it?

Radec

Well that blows. I suppose that I'll have to play it on Normal my first time if I want to get 2 play through so out of it.

Too bad.

The game will surely benefit for a New Game+ mode with harder difficulty. Having all weapons on chapter 1 +.

I'm not into game programming so I'm not sure if that's a huge task to add to the devs. :/

First french news paper "official" review from JeuxVideo magazine.
ed6260d5681c279171f03bf06cd4d28420150217110859.jpg

Translation :

Gameplay :
Very simple but efficient action scenes, a large amount of QTE and some poor sneaking levels.

Graphics :
Top notch textures, mind blowing effects and no transition between game and cinematics. Awesome.

Sound :
Really good ambiant score, good dialogs, and good feedback from the weapons.

Duration :
Almost 7 hours, without running, which is a bit short (knowing that cinematics is half the duration..).

Global :
A lovely object, between a movie and a game. Some can considers it half-win or half-fail, it is the way you love Videogames that will be decisive.

7 hours huh? Pretty much what I was expecting.

MaxiLive

The game will surely benefit for a New Game+ mode with harder difficulty. Having all weapons on chapter 1 +.

I'm not into game programming so I'm not sure if that's a huge task to add to the devs. :/

It generally is, any feature is usually a huge feat as it would have to be designed and implemented which may not be the biggest task but having to QA test the feature etc on multiple skus, and platforms it becomes a pretty big task!

Hopefully something they can add for a patch but I doubt the game play will be organic enough for most player to even want a Game+ experience.

The way weapons work in this game that wouldn't make sense. Maybe a NG+ without the ability to respawn and up the enemy damage.

chaosaeon

That review, adding a numeric score to duration ? That's trash. The length of a game is a bulletpoint unless there is a serious problem like it's half an hour long or something. A 1-5 star rating JUST for duration is a terrible idea for a reviewer to implement.

I'm a little surprised to hear people say there's no difference between any of the knights in terms of skill set or abilities. I was thinking there'd be something special about each one, a reason why they were chosen for "the Order", like perhaps one was a master of alchemy and another was an expert detective or something. I guess that's not the case.

Played for around 1-2 hours and completed the first three chapters. Not a bad game but nothing that hasn't been done before. The chapters that I've played were quite slow paced. Lots of dialogs, exploration and QTEs.

It plays a bit like a mixture of Heavy Rain (in terms of QTEs) and Uncharted (cover shooter parts). Overall it's very story driven, which doesn't have to be a bad thing though if you like those kind of games.

On a side note, what I really dislike is the size of the subtitles. I had to keep the volume down as I didn't want to wake up the kids, so I had to rely on subtitles. However they are so tiny, which makes it almost impossible to read them. And I played on a 50" plasma...

Played for around 1-2 hours and completed the first three chapters. Not a bad game but nothing that hasn't been done before. The chapters that I've played were quite slow paced. Lots of dialogs, exploration and QTEs.

It plays a bit like a mixture of Heavy Rain (in terms of QTEs) and Uncharted (cover shooter parts). Overall it's very story driven, which doesn't have to be a bad thing though if you like those kind of games.

On a side note, what I really dislike is the size of the subtitles. I had to keep the volume down as I didn't want to wake up the kids, so I had to rely on subtitles. However they are so tiny, which makes it almost impossible to read them. And I played on a 50" plasma...
Just plug some headphones into your controller and go from there.

thebloo

That review, adding a numeric score to duration ? That's trash. The length of a game is a bulletpoint unless there is a serious problem like it's half an hour long or something. A 1-5 star rating JUST for duration is a terrible idea for a reviewer to implement.

I'm a little surprised to hear people say there's no difference between any of the knights in terms of skill set or abilities. I was thinking there'd be something special about each one, a reason why they were chosen for "the Order", like perhaps one was a master of alchemy and another was an expert detective or something. I guess that's not the case.

It's not about duration. It's about replayability, see this Watchdogs review

Ricky_R

You scared me there for a second. Thought you were going to say that subtitles were too big. I prefer them small. :)

Thanks for the early impressions, btw.

The Order 1886 |OT| it is the way you love Videogames that will be decisive

or, alternatively

The Order 1886 |OT| A lovely object, between a movie and a game

Elandyll

Banned
First french news paper "official" review from JeuxVideo magazine.

Translation :

Gameplay :
Very simple but efficient action scenes, a large amount of QTE and some poor sneaking levels.

Graphics :
Top notch textures, mind blowing effects and no transition between game and cinematics. Awesome.

Sound :
Really good ambiant score, good dialogs, and good feedback from the weapons.

Duration :
Almost 7 hours, without running, which is a bit short (knowing that cinematics is half the duration..).

Global :
A lovely object, between a movie and a game. Some can considers it half-win or half-fail, it is the way you love Videogames that will be decisive.

Slight correction:

"Environ" =/= "Almost".

The correct translation is "Around", it could actually be a little more or a little less.
It's still more or less just 7h, but when people have been arguing their heads off for days about 30 minutes plus or minus, :shrug:

Might as well be specific I guess.

MattyG

Banned
Has anyone in the Northeast managed to grab an early copy? I don't think any stores near me have put it out by mistake yet, but I might go check later today.

You scared me there for a second. Thought you were going to say that subtitles were too big. I prefer them small. :)

Thanks for the early impressions, btw.

You can turn them off if you don't like them. I usually prefer to have subtitles as English isn't my first language.

Newboi

I'm mostly curious about replay value. I hope this game has a bevy of unlocks, modifiers, or new experiences that will encourage replay.

Ricky_R

You can turn them off if you don't like them. I usually prefer to have subtitles as English isn't my first language.

Yeah, me too. I understand English perfectly (even though it's not my first language either), but I need them for movies and games as it's difficult for me to understand when their voice is too low or if the talk too fast.

I prefer subtitles to be as small as my sight allows.

Ledhead

Thanks for the impressions! I wish amazon would hurry up and ship my collectors edition

Kagutaba

I must say I enjoy the look of the props in this game: the guns, the knives, the clothes, the gadgets, and the materials used: brushed copper, metal, cloth and wood. It feels very ... authentic.

Man something about this game, it's like there's something missing for me. Yknow, something almost intangible. Might just be a lack of story hook in its promotions, I haven't seen much other than the general steampunk and men vs. monsters and those who side with them stuff. Though this could just be a case of poor marketing,it wouldn't have been the last time.

I dunno, there's just somethign that makes me not able to sink my teeth into it... Maybe it's just not my flavour?

Though if the reviews show me some thing great I'm all aboard of course :) wouldn't be the first time that something's promotional material left me unimpressed, but the actual product was awesome.

DevilFox

anyone knows if we can change the language ingame? I want to play with english audio, and French subtitles..

Yes, afaic.

Actually, no, subs are in the same language as the dub and can't be changed, I'm afraid. I took a quick look to the settings yesterday and I don't remember the option, I'll look better this evening just to be sure but I recall RAD said something about this :|

Top Bottom