• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 New Previews, More

stryke

Their description of "soft cover" sounds very similar to The Last of Us' cover system. There's no toggle button, just get close enough and you'll enter cover.

Loudninja

I'm not sure what he meant exactly. Is it some new kind of cover mechanic or is it the one we can find in a few games already, like Tomb Raider and The Last of Us?
This is soft cover
The demo dumped us into the beginning of Chapter 3 (titled "Inequalities") and gave us a first-hand look at the combat system. While we've known that it's a third-person cover-based shooter, we weren't exactly sure how it'd play. The cover mechanics are built around a "soft cover" system, as the developers called it, meaning that the protagonist will automatically take refuge behind any pillars or walls, without the need for a button prompt to execute this.

While the cover system was effective enough, it was the introduction of the Thermite Rifle that made the demo a thoroughly enjoyable affair. The Thermite Rifle shoots iron pellets that can, in theory at least, be used to shoot enemies. That's not the fun approach, though. The intended function of the Thermite Rifle is to paint the areas above and behind your attackers, and then shoot a flair at it. This ignition causes a chemical reaction that basically makes fire rain down on your enemies.
The primary intent is to give the player an alternative to the long-ago exhausted experience of gameplay devolving into a pop-up shooting gallery. Being able to circumvent cover facilitates action and adds a unique spark to the affair. Oh yeah, it's also a ton of fun to shoot semi-wildly and light groups of enemies on fire.
http://www.destructoid.com/the-orde...om-what-little-sony-will-show-us-275401.phtml

It may just be me, but I am really excited by the idea Jack the Ripper is all but onfirmed to be a character in this game, as well as other characters of the time period. Half Breeds are going to be awesome, but the lore of this game just got a lot more interesting.

rad talked about how enemies with vibrant personality such as the ones in batman games make the game more immersive, this raised my hype a little for the order because i think they are trying to create enemies like bioshock/batman has, these crazy psychos. jack the ripper will fit perfectly into that category.

Not too up on the technical side of these things, but I thought FPS drops and screen-tearing were inherent to each other? Presuming the tearing isn't a playback issue (and hell, there's only a couple of instances of it), how is it happening without any slowdown or FPS drops?

Tearing is the upper portion of the screen repeating what was last frame, the bottom portion is showing the new frame, so if it's temporary you can have it without any full frame drops.

Wow.. What a difference this footage makes.
Very hyped. Great animations, great voice acting, amazing artdirection, amazing faces, great setting and TPS.
This is really pushing this gen in a nice direction imo.

The only thing that worries me is that the number of small cutscenes will take me out of the immersion too much.
They say great things a bout it, but i can't help but feel i'll be frustrated if there are too many of them.
How far into 2015 are they delaying this?

I really wish the devs came to their senses and added co-op for this.
I've seen people post february as the month of release

Easily the most interesting aspect of the demo - incredible visuals aside - is the sole gun we used. Instead of firing conventional bullets it shoots a rapid-fire stream of thermite - an explosive mix of metallic ingredients. But the thermite is harmless by itself, simply dousing enemies in a cough-inducing powder and doing very little damage - until you shoot the gun's secondary projectile, a flair.

The flair ignites the thermite, triggering an impressive eruption of hot sparks that fizz and pop, burning your enemies to a toast, all the while even further demonstrating the PS4's GPU particle physics as the stream of yellow sparks shower down, bouncing convincingly off of the scenery below.

But it's not all for show. The gun and its clever physics allow for some intriguing shooting strategies because it doesn't force players to use its two ammo types in any particular order. For example you can douse a specific target with thermite before lighting him up with a flair. Alternatively, if you face multiple targets hidden behind cover, you can shoot a flair at a wall behind them, where it will stick, and follow up with thermite that will bounce off the wall and rain down on your hidden and unsuspecting victims.

This is the kinda stuff I want to hear. I hope the game has lots of weapons that feel unlike anything we've used before and allow original approaches to gunfights, especially when the creatures are involved. Hopefully the AI will be good in the final game. If these things hit the mark I'll be happy.

GameSeeker

The game looks fabulous. Ryse, KZ:SF and Infamous:SS have been the benchmarks for next-gen graphics and this may exceed all of them.

However, as usual, Sony Marketing fails at providing HQ video. We are getting YouTube level quality, while far better than the twitch stream, still leaves much to be desired.

Dear RAD,

If you do nothing else between now and E3, find some way to release HQ video (i.e., > 10Mbit/s bitrate) of the new trailer.

The game looks fabulous. Ryse, KZ:SF and Infamous:SS have been the benchmarks for next-gen graphics and this may exceed all of them.

However, as usual, Sony Marketing fails at providing HQ video. We are getting YouTube level quality, while far better than the twitch stream, still leaves much to be desired.

Dear RAD,

If you do nothing else between now and E3, find some way to release HQ video (i.e., > 10Mbit/s bitrate) of the new trailer.
Well, at least Gametrailers footage looks good enough to enjoy.

Kuro

This game looks very nice, but the gameplay looks to be incredibly uninspired and average.

My expectations after I saw their initial teaser trailer were pretty high. A shame they squabbled the opportunity and went with a vanilla shooter instead of what it could have been.

We've seen less than 5 minutes of gameplay...

zsnime.gif

Is the screen tearing in the game or is it just a poor video?

After reading more previews i really like the idea of the thermite gun and explain what we were seeing on stream .
Should make for some interesting game play .

tzare

I'll never understand the complaint that the game play is centered around shooting. That's like bashing Street Fighter for the game play being mostly fighting.
Agree, i guess people enjoy nitpicking and exaggerating things, and if games are first party/exclusive this goes even further . TPS play like TPS and FPS like FPS. I really would like to see which games offer that 'non generic' gameplay and, if they exist, if they really sold that well.
In the end people want proven experiences, and changes to established formulas are not that well tolerated.
As long as the order plays well, even if 'uninspired', it will be fine. What interests me the most is the plot, the setting, the world, which is quite different from the usual approach.
Too bad it got delayed, but if this means better game, then it is fine. Sure Sony learned a thing or two after Uncharted3

Ricky_R

I wonder, will the iron pellets explode mid range if the enemies are too far away or will they reach enemies no matter where they are?

Did CVG play a different game or something?

Immediately as we take control of the action, the Gears of War influence is obvious. Glaring even. The third-person cover system operates in exactly the same manner - you tap a button to tuck up against a wall. From there you can shimmy left or right, slide quickly to other points of cover and briefly peak out with the left trigger to pop off shots at the enemy before ducking back down.

Loudninja

Did CVG play a different game or something?
Yeah don't know what they are taking about
"We pulled the camera really close," he said. "You can still see over the cover somewhat, but you don't have free aim. You can look up over the cover or look around cover without sticking out too far. The enemies can't hit you very well when you do that. We also give you a lot of abilities to move around quickly in and out of cover.

"You can quickly detach, reattach, move, transfer to other objects very fluidly. All of the stuff we worked on was refinements to making it not feel very old school, where you'd press a button, and stuff would happen. We let you inch off and come back without doing anything more than just manipulating the analog sticks. I don't think we've revolutionized cover, we've taken things about cover and purposed them for our use specifically and then also massaged them to make them new."
http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/27/5745694/the-order-1886-is-a-cover-shooter-with-grand-aspirations

Game looks amazing and that slow mode footage (other than the third guy being shot in the leg and just stopping) is mindblowing. A few more months in the oven is never a bad thing.

Slaythe

The game looks stunning (can't wait for Quantic dream's next game now).

But I am really unsure about the gameplay.

This is really the "corridor, walk through, shoot" kind of game so far, and it definitely won't have the depth of an advanced shooter, or of a BTA.

It's a shame that this amazingly detailed city won't be explorable and will only feature shooting sequences, almost like a rail shooter.

Hopefully i'm wrong and game will be a blast. Also, it is becoming urgent for Sony, to come up with a fun multiplayer game...

cripterion

The first people to report the delay, before it was officially announced, said February.

Wow.. What a difference this footage makes.
Very hyped. Great animations, great voice acting, amazing artdirection, amazing faces, great setting and TPS.
This is really pushing this gen in a nice direction imo.

The only thing that worries me is that the number of small cutscenes will take me out of the immersion too much.
They say great things a bout it, but i can't help but feel i'll be frustrated if there are too many of them.

I've seen people post february as the month of release

Oh ok, that's really not that far off.

I'd be ok if they pushed it further if it meant have multiplayer in the form of co-op honestly, this game screams for it!

The Meristation interview says you can still take cover with O if you want too but can pull off or push back in easily so its soft but you can still press the button to take cover if you want.
Oh, that's pretty interesting and makes sense. I guess CVG didn't notice lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The game looks stunning (can't wait for Quantic dream's next game now).

But I am really unsure about the gameplay.

This is really the "corridor, walk through, shoot" kind of game so far, and it definitely won't have the depth of an advanced shooter, or of a BTA.

It's a shame that this amazingly detailed city won't be explorable and will only feature shooting sequences, almost like a rail shooter.

Hopefully i'm wrong and game will be a blast. Also, it is becoming urgent for Sony, to come up with a fun multiplayer game...

They've said quite a bit that it will have exploration but it's not open world.

The game is also single player only.

SDCowboy

Did anyone else get the good feels when they saw how real the recoil looked on the sidearm? The combat in this looks extremely satisfying.

They leaked and Sony got rid of it. Unless the developer sends the footage out it is YT only from now. Blim from Gamersyde commented on it, even they don't get the footage anymore.

But they've been leaked for years, it's where i got the hq beyond,tlou and infamous ss videos. It's just that the masses never found out about the site until recently. Probably why.

Where did they say that?

Never outright but if you watch the gametrailers interview Ru says with a smirk there are some real figures of the time period that will play a huge role in the story. This combined with earlier footage that shows a paper being printed with the headline Whitechapel Murders, the area Jack the Ripper struck, it is not hard to connect the dots.

The interesting part also is what other characters of the period is Ru referring to as well?

Top Bottom