• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886: New screenshot found on SSM website!

Dinjooh

Certainly not your fault Demon; but I have recent memories of DriveClub footage being ready for release... to no avail. and that was over a month ago
Please Sony, drop some bombs

Driveclub said:
We've got a few more short #PS4SHARE moments coming and we'll be recording longer videos soon as well as showing you that 12 car race we promised.

Posted on the 16th of November.

AHHRRHHHHGHHH

I played through Beyond: Two Souls, and black bars were the least of that game's problems; I barely noticed them at all. I trust in Ready At Dawn and believe their decision to include them will enhance the gaming experience.

Black bar controversy out of the way, dang we're being drip-fed info about this game. It looks so promising going by screenshots, and the character models are exquisite, but if we're going to have to wait till E3 before we get to see some definitive gameplay footage then there's going to be a lot of thirsty gaffers come summertime.

I wish I could grow a mustache like that... *sigh* :-(

I feel your pain.

akashhhhh

I'll probably buy a ps4 for this game cause I really like the premise. It looks pretty bland graphics wise though so I'm kind of surprised at people praising the graphics. It looks on par with the last of us imo. Especially the textures seem awful.

What is the premise? Steampunky England?

There's a lot of hype for a game we know almost nothing about.

Ricky_R

This damn game oozes so much great atmosphere. Every time I see shots from it I feel like they're trying to grab me and pull me in.

Realizing that not everyone is looking for an open world game is a start.

I don't mind the linear experience, and the style, theme, and visuals just fuels my hype. Can't wait to see/hear more about this.

I dunno, it's just a cool ass setting, it's such a shame I will be blasting through tight little areas with little opportunity to explore. I can understand Uncharted being linear - because it's not about world building, or deep fiction. It's about characters, cool locations and exciting events.

Whereas this (at the moment) is just asking for me to invest all my excitement into the world, when it's mostly going to be a facade I'm running through shooting.

How will those 2 genres be any different?

I never get the obsession with wanted everything to be open world.

It's not EVERYTHING.

Just as I said above, deep lore or fiction seems so lost in a linear game to me. And that's the only thing they're selling so far.

A visceral third-person cover based shooter created by devs who have admitted they are going out of their way to make it look just like a film, complete with that utterly ridiculous aspect ratio.

Just about everything I know about this game so far rustles my jimmies.

IvorB

I'll probably buy a ps4 for this game cause I really like the premise. It looks pretty bland graphics wise though so I'm kind of surprised at people praising the graphics. It looks on par with the last of us imo. Especially the textures seem awful.

Really? I would love to play your The Last of US.

something has been ready for a while now - I don't know when they'll unleash it

'they' as in the marketing team? I'm starting to hate that team. we're supposed to get DriveClub race video last year too. supposedly the video is already sent to the marketing team and we still haven't seen it till now. :(

Maybe this game is about a secret war between those who can grow magnificent moustaches, and those who can't. The hairless massive rise up against our immaculately-groomed brethren and it sparks a new Cold upper lip War. Those that can't sport splendid soupcatchers then become mutated from dark experiments to try and artificially augment themselves with the ultimate accessory of ladykiling manliness, but the experiments fail and they become hairy abominations instead. The moustached master race must then dispatch them by any means necessary using an array of spectacular weaponry that fuels itself on energy harnessed from their masculinity.

IvorB

Really? I would love to play your The Last of US.

Drek

I dunno, it's just a cool ass setting, it's such a shame I will be blasting through tight little areas with little opportunity to explore. I can understand Uncharted being linear - because it's not about world building, or deep fiction. It's about characters, cool locations and exciting events.

Whereas this (at the moment) is just asking for me to invest all my excitement into the world, when it's mostly going to be a facade I'm running through shooting.

I don't see how deep lore and fiction is lost in linear games. If you ask me open world games tend to under-develop their lore since the player can depart from it so freely, and so much of the depth needs to be hunted out in obscure locations.

Meanwhile linear games can really build on their narrative with traditional story telling mechanics. I mean, saying linear games can't explore their lore and fiction is like saying that movies and TV shows can't either, since they're even more linear media. The point here is to tell a story that the player gets to play an active role in.

It's two different kinds of fiction really. Non-linear games are shooting for world oriented lore where the world itself is the most interesting element. Linear games tend to be character driven with the world providing a backdrop for said character. RAD is clearly focused on a character driven epic with how much time they've put into their main foursome, I see nothing wrong with that.

Also, the best non-linear game still struggles mightily to develop strong characters over the course of a game while more linear experiences can develop a more engrossing world simply through multiple stories set within the same world. RAD has talked about The Order potentially becoming a multimedia property. I think a TV show/movie/etc. would do plenty to flesh out the lore of the game.

Bloodrage

Banned
I like the art direction, but I think the characters don't look different enough from each other in that first screenshot posted here.
Perhaps you're looking at the color scheme of their standard issue uniforms?

Skin complexion aside, none of them look even remotely alike.

image_the_order_1886-23532-2752_0004.jpg

image_the_order_1886-23532-2752_0002.jpg

image_the_order_1886-23532-2752_0003.jpg

image_the_order_1886-23530-2752_0006.jpg

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_the_order_1886_gets_details_screens-14761_en.html

nOoblet16

Really you have to ask? Half of my freaking screen isn't being utilized for one. The other is obviously less fov.
You are over reacting it by claiming it to be half, it's barely even a quarter of the screen.
And no you couldn't be more wrong when you say "obviously less FOV". The obvious thing here is that the FOV in this game is wider than any 16:9 game you've seen on console and I can't see how didn't notice that.

Look at how much area is visible even after zooming in your weapon.

image-086e498e-e699-4ea9-b475-40166a341f13.jpg

Someone needs a good smack across the head then. I understand 'artistic integrity' but this is just dumb and adds far more faults then any sort of immersive benefits.

I understand that cinematography is a thing but it doesn't work when you the player is controlling the camera in game as it's just a hindrance. At least give us a option to turn it off during gameplay.

Stop gaming on an LCD and you won't even notice the black bars.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
No, they don't look similar at all.

Similar facial hair, similar size, similar skin color, similar postures, similar facial expressions etc...

I think they could use more stuff to differentiate them from each other. Maybe in the final product with voice overs and animations I won't feel this way, but right now, the character designs look uninspired. I love the art direction for the game, though, and it's my most anticipated title for PS4 currently.

Here's a guide to get folks prepared for The Order

So many 20th century fashions keep cycling in and out of fashion, I wonder when there will finally be a comeback for the glorious facial hair artwork of the 19th century. When will Flapwings fly again?

Top Bottom