• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886: Official spoiler thread for all black bars

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Still don't understand this attitude. What makes a game replayable to people? Do people not rewatch movies or reread books either? You're going to replay it because it (theoretically) tells a compelling story with solid gunplay.
Games where playing it over will give you a varied experience. Take for example Uncharted 4, they're crafting the levels so that it's not one linear path but instead multiple paths, so my experience may or may not be the same as someone else's since they went in a different direction altogether and/or triggered the enemy alert while I stayed stayed hidden. This makes general play, as in the gameplay outside of scripted moments like conversations while walking and set pieces, more varied as the game adapts to the player instead of the player having to follow everything down to minute details like in the GTAV heists. Which leads to the idea that the game can be replayed and thus has more value. Books and films are not the same thing as games, re-watching a film or rereading a book is not the same thing as replaying a game.

Games where playing it over will give you a varied experience. Take for example Uncharted 4, they're crafting the levels so that it's not one linear path but instead multiple paths, so my experience may or may not be the same as someone else's since they went in a different direction altogether and/or triggered the enemy alert while I stayed stayed hidden. Books and films are not the same thing, rewatching a film or rereading a book is not the same thing as replaying a game.

Oh boy here we go again.

They aren't the same thing but everyone plays games for different reasons and gets different things out of them. For me, replaying Uncharted 2 is very similar to rewatching one of my favourite movies.

Sometimes I replay a game for a different gameplay experience, othertimes I just want to relive the story again (Beyond: Two Souls, for example).

It's not cut and dry.

Crossing Eden

Oh boy here we go again.

They aren't the same thing but everyone plays games for different reasons and gets different things out of them. For me, replaying Uncharted 2 is very similar to rewatching one of my favourite movies.

Sometimes I replay a game for a different gameplay experience, othertimes I just want to relive the story again (Beyond: Two Souls, for example).

It's not cut and dry.
Why anyone would want to relive the steaming pile of horrible horrible writing known as Beyond Two Soul's plot is beyond me.
It's not cut and dry but there are games that have more varied experiences on subsequent playthroughs than other games just in terms of how varied the experience will be the next time you play a game. The Order 1886 doesn't seem like the type of game where replaying it will give you a very different gameplay experience. Usually when people talk about a game in terms of replay ability they're talking about the gameplay itself since the majority of game stories are set in stone. And in this case, it would be justified to be skeptical of the order's you more about the actual gameplay being varied than the story itself compared to other more recent games.

Betty

Banned
Why anyone would want to relive the steaming pile of horrible horrible writing known as Beyond Two Soul's plot is beyond me.

Oh look who my new favourite person is, fuck that game and everything about it.

Crossing Eden said:
It's not cut and dry but there are games that have more varied experiences on subsequent playthroughs than other games just in terms of how varied the experience will be the next time you play a game. The Order 1886 doesn't seem like the type of game where replaying it will give you a very different gameplay experience.

In all of the streams I've watched I'd say that's accurate.

It's not cut and dry but there are games that have more varied experiences on subsequent playthroughs than other games just in terms of how varied the experience will be the next time you play a game. The Order 1886 doesn't seem like the type of game where replaying it will give you a very different gameplay experience.

Oh I know, I'm just saying that sometimes a game is replayable for that "hey, what if I tried this instead" factor in the moment-to-moment scenarios, but sometimes it's also just a case of wanting to relive a story you really enjoyed, even if it plays out more or less the same.

I do think that the ones that offer more gameplay flexibility are certainly more replayable, and perhaps more immediately.

Still don't understand this attitude. What makes a game replayable to people? Do people not rewatch movies or reread books either? You're going to replay it because it (theoretically) tells a compelling story with solid gunplay.
I don't reread books, and I've only rewatched a couple movies in my life. I typically don't replay games either. Exceptions do exist of course, but games are largely a one-time thing for me if they don't have MP that captivates me.
We've had enough people say 10, 12, 12.5 hours to figure 10-12 is a good ballpark for someone who doesn't rush through it.
People who finished the game had said 10 to 12 hours.

Difficulty could be a factor as well.
Hmm so only a little longer than TLoU was. Disappointing.

I don't reread books, and I've only rewatched a couple movies in my life. I typically don't replay games either. Exceptions do exist of course, but games are largely a one-time thing for me if they don't have MP.

Lol what? TLOU took me 16 hours on my first play. I must be slow

Crossing Eden

Oh I know, I'm just saying that sometimes a game is replayable for that "hey, what if I tried this instead" factor in the moment-to-moment scenarios, but sometimes it's also just a case of wanting to relive a story you really enjoyed, even if it plays out more or less the same.

I do think that the ones that offer more gameplay flexibility are certainly more replayable, and perhaps more immediately.
Yea I can't see the order being very varied on that front in the moment to moment gameplay based of the way it's designed. And remember that there are many different ways to relive a story nowadays besides playing the game over again. And it's to whether or not that person deems the story good enough to be relived over and over. Especially in today's gaming marketplace where there are many many games where just watching a youtube compilation of all the cutscenes won't do the game justice in terms of the actual variety of options available. Don't get me wrong I do understand what you're saying, a lot of times during last gen I would specifically replay the missions with the most dramatic story beats or have a separate save during an rpg.

[NaK]

Im a bit curious about Galahad not having a mirror reflection.
http://i3.minus.com/iNv3xe9wIXK3y.jpg

I just finished the game, and there were no mention of it from what I could tell, and I tested every mirror I could find.
Sloppy programming or significant lore detail of some sort?

Theories?

[NaK];152081993 said:
Im a bit curious about Galahad not having a mirror reflection.
http://i3.minus.com/iNv3xe9wIXK3y.jpg

I just finished the game, and there were no mention of it from what I could tell, and I tested every mirror I could find.
Sloppy programming or significant lore detail of some sort?

Theories?
I'd wager that the surface here is using a cubemap. The only way to reflect characters/moving objects would be to either draw them (the chars) or the entire scene reversed, behind that wall and essentially give you a window. This is inefficient and not a whole lot of people care about reflections in games on nonessential items. They could use a screen space reflection on that mirror, but you can't see his face or the rest of the room, so it wouldn't really work as what you need to reflect isn't on screen.

Not "sloppy programming," just the reality of development.

I'm pretty sure it's nothing. But I could be wrong lol, just seems unlikely to be anything serious.
That material is using SSR, so you will get a rough reflection of whatever's on screen.

Beat the game today.
Armoury in pause menu didn't unlock.
What's up with that thing ?
I thought it would open after beating the game, but it did not =(

btw I liked the game very much. A new strong IP for Sony I hope :)

[NaK]

I'd wager that the surface here is using a cubemap. The only way to reflect characters/moving objects would be to either draw them (the chars) or the entire scene reversed, behind that wall and essentially give you a window. This is inefficient and not a whole lot of people care about reflections in games on nonessential items. They could use a screen space reflection on that mirror, but you can't see his face or the rest of the room, so it wouldn't really work as what you need to reflect isn't on screen.

Not "sloppy programming," just the reality of development.

Thanks for the info. Interesting.

Mirror reflections are usually the first thing I test in games, aswell ass shooting lights sources.

Beat the game today.

Could be tied to online stuff, maybe it doesn't enable until after the game launches.

Games where playing it over will give you a varied experience. Take for example Uncharted 4, they're crafting the levels so that it's not one linear path but instead multiple paths, so my experience may or may not be the same as someone else's since they went in a different direction altogether and/or triggered the enemy alert while I stayed stayed hidden. This makes general play, as in the gameplay outside of scripted moments like conversations while walking and set pieces, more varied as the game adapts to the player instead of the player having to follow everything down to minute details like in the GTAV heists. Which leads to the idea that the game can be replayed and thus has more value. Books and films are not the same thing as games, re-watching a film or rereading a book is not the same thing as replaying a game.
You did little to nothing to make it clear why that is. I look at all three mediums as equally reusable. If a movie or book has a compelling story, I return. If a game has a compelling story and/or core gameplay, I return. Variation is nice but I don't know see it being necessary.
I don't reread books, and I've only rewatched a couple movies in my life. I typically don't replay games either. Exceptions do exist of course, but games are largely a one-time thing for me if they don't have MP that captivates me.

That's certainly a fine view of media, but certainly not one I ascribe to.

2thepoint

At this stage, I will only preorder if the game gets at least 11/10 in average reviews.

Then I will be a baby girl that's calm.

Then I will be a baby girl that's calm.

post-11756-I-understood-that-reference-gi-GkxF.gif

Crossing Eden

You did little to nothing to make it clear why that is. I look at all three mediums as equally reusable. If a movie or book has a compelling story, I return. If a game has a compelling story and/or core gameplay, I return. Variation is nice but I don't know see it being necessary.

That's certainly a fine view of media, but certainly not one I ascribe to.
Rereading a book and rewatching a movie is literally the exact same experience everytime, you won't discover hidden secrets or passage ways, the characters won't suddenly take different paths, go into different rooms, use different tools, etc. Playing a game is all about interaction, video games cannot be completed by doing nothing aside from what is likely an incredibly low number of exceptions. Variation or a very nice illusion of it can drastically increase replay value compared to the opposite spectrum of little variation.

KC Denton

beat the game today. sadly, its totally true. I said before you can select chekpoints from chapter selection menu - and in these chapters you can select different points of cutscenes. strange thing indeed

Is the story in this game any good?

(And if this is possible to answer without any specific details:
Is there anything more to the Half Breeds beyond "evil things we have to shoot?")

Is the story in this game any good?

I quite liked it. First of all I liked atmosphere and overall style of everything because it wasn't just a modern military shooter...

Good thing is that game has a lot to offer if you choose to listen up and look closely - from hearing conversations, to reading newspapers and etc. Plus there are like couple of big reveals I didn't expect at all. And a couple of twists that surprised me too. I like that a lot.

Only negative things story-wise are these: (not really spoilers, but still)
1. game ends with cliff-hanger begging for continuation
2. first time big bad villain was in sight I knew something was going on with him

about your added question -
they don't swarm the levels, they feel like unique enemies. and they are lycans. they can think and they can talk. wont spoil more

is the werewolf combat good?

its surprisingly good. well, for the most part. usual lycans are just quite agile enemies you have to shoot more and then finish off with triangle before they recover.
boss-like lycans are just awesome. Galahad unsheathes his dagger for these fights and
they seem very brutal and vivid, yet you control the fights. <3 the game :)

its surprisingly good. well, for the most part. usual lycans are just quite agile enemies you have to shoot more and then finish off with triangle before they recover.
boss-like lycans are just awesome. Galahad unsheathes his dagger for these fights and
they seem very brutal and vivid, yet you control the fights. <3 the game :)

sweet

Rereading a book and rewatching a movie is literally the exact same experience everytime, you won't discover hidden secrets or passage ways, the characters won't suddenly take different paths, go into different rooms, use different tools, etc. Playing a game is all about interaction, video games cannot be completed by doing nothing aside from what is likely an incredibly low number of exceptions. Variation or a very nice illusion of it can drastically increase replay value compared to the opposite spectrum of little variation.
And that's really how most game's stories are. They follow a preset linear path. You're along for hopefully a well-written ride backed by the compelling gameplay. The fact that you're following a linear path doesn't make a game less replayable. The only variation you could really have in many games is the way you approach fights and the difficulty you play at. That doesn't make the game any less imminently replayable. I don't know that The Order will deliver in that regard, but that's how I would expect it to fulfill me.

delta25

Banned
Beat the game today.

I need to know...
is there Vampires in the game?

KC Denton

I quite liked it. First of all I liked atmosphere and overall style of everything because it wasn't just a modern military shooter...

Good thing is that game has a lot to offer if you choose to listen up and look closely - from hearing conversations, to reading newspapers and etc. Plus there are like couple of big reveals I didn't expect at all. And a couple of twists that surprised me too. I like that a lot.

Ah, thanks for the info!

Crossing Eden

And that's really how most game's stories are. They follow a preset linear path. You're along for hopefully a well-written ride backed by the compelling gameplay. The fact that you're following a linear path doesn't make a game less replayable. The only variation you could really have in many games is the way you approach fights and the difficulty you play at. That doesn't make the game any less imminently replayable. I don't know that The Order will deliver in that regard, but that's how I would expect it to fulfill me.
Except that games aren't just stories, games have gameplay, the act of playing the game can have little variety or more variety depending on how the game is designed. Which is what people are referring to when they ask about replay value. Games that adapt the moment to moment gameplay to over the story have more variation than those that don't. To bring up the uncharted 4 example again as it's a similar game. Here's 4 different ways of how the gameplay has variation based on player actions based on how they're advertising the game anyway.

Drake starts out in an area
-he can take path A or path B, both lead to the same place but lead to different experiences

Drake gets past path A or B and encounters a group of enemies

Small example of Possibilities

-He can go in rambo style from the start
1.He can use his tools such as his new grappling hook to steal a weapon off of an enemy
2.He can get into melee grapples with enemies
3.He can start to regret his decision after taking damage and go into stealth style to sneak past remaining enemies

-He can sneak past
1.He can stealthily knock out enemies who get too close
2.He can use the climbing mechanic to use the environment to his advantage so that he remains unseen
3.He might get caught which will force his hand.

^ Just this small amount of possibilities, (and that's not all of what i've thought of in my head) increases the replay value of the campaign because general play isn't affected by the story. This is what the average person would want to hear about when they ask about replay value. This is also what separates games from movies and books. Or more linear games from games like say TPP or Unity, (both coincidentally having cutscenes where the characters basically say, "Do what you want.") Now I haven't played the Order yet, but based on the streams i've seen, it doesn't seem like it would have a ton of variation during general play on subsequent playthroughs because the story is a high high priority. Then again, it wasn't advertised to be like that in the first place. But that lack of variation might turn some off.

^ Just this small amount of possibilities, (and that's not all of what i've thought of in my head) increases the replay value of the campaign because general play isn't affected by the story. This is what the average person would want to hear about when they ask about replay value. This is also what separates games from movies and books. Or more linear games from games like say TPP or Unity, (both coincidentally having cutscenes where the characters basically say, "Do what you want.") Now I haven't played the Order yet, but based on the streams i've seen, it doesn't seem like it would have a ton of variation during general play on subsequent playthroughs because the story is a high high priority. Then again, it wasn't advertised to be like that in the first place. But that lack of variation might turn some off.

you cannot choose a way to play different segments of the game. there's nothing like TLOU where you can shoot your way thru or you can stealth it. In Order you have firefights where game wants you to shoot and Galahad uses dagger when game has a stealth level

Crossing Eden

you cannot choose a way to play different segments of the game. there's nothing like TLOU where you can shoot your way thru or you can stealth it. In Order you have firefights where game wants you to shoot and Galahad uses dagger when game has a stealth level
Yea, that's not very surprising considering how it was advertised.

nib95

Banned
Variety and more tactical options certainly help replayability, but it's not actually necessary for a game to be replayable. All that's really needed is that the game is fun or enjoyable to experience. I've played games like Monkey Island and Grim Fandango multiple times, and these are games that basically don't change. The Order will probably be similar to the Uncharted or Gears games in terms of replayability, which for me would be great. I've beaten the first Uncharted about 3-4 times, the second about 4 times, and the third twice. Gears multiple times too.

Variety and more tactical options certainly help replayability, but it's not actually necessary for a game to be replayable. All that's really needed is that the game is fun or enjoyable to experience. I've played games like Monkey Island and Grim Fandango multiple times, and these are games that basically don't change. The Order will probably be similar to the Uncharted or Gears games in terms of replayability, which for me would be great. I've beaten the first Uncharted about 3-4 times, the second about 4 times, and the third twice. Gears multiple times too.

Yup. The Order will probably be something I'll revisit every 6 months or year just to enjoy the ride again.

To Lurgan1337, as you already finished the game, did you see Bobby Paige play any part in the story? It is just weird that I haven't heard any information about him since this game was leaked.

Top Bottom