• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886: Official spoiler thread for all black bars

To Lurgan1337, as you already finished the game, did you see Bobby Paige play any part in the story? It is just weird that I haven't heard any information about him since this game was leaked.

not at all. I might forget some small piece of dialog like "it's like that Paige boy!" but I don't think so.

I'm surprised they didn't go the
Beyond Two Souls
route or some other more subtle fashion for the
movement based QTEs.

Good stuff though.

Betty

Banned
beat the game today. sadly, its totally true. I said before you can select chekpoints from chapter selection menu - and in these chapters you can select different points of cutscenes. strange thing indeed

When+someone+asks+you+Did+you+study_3181c3_4281550.gif

Holy shit this game's ending and final boss fight are horrible.
"Not so different, you and I."
could you have picked a more Z-tier TV movie line?

Final boss and an awful lot of the writing is pretty bad from what I've seen. The performances are a redeeming factor, but I'd say only because they aren't the normal 'Hollywood' VO. Way more Downton Abbey.

Still don't understand this attitude. What makes a game replayable to people? Do people not rewatch movies or reread books either? You're going to replay it because it (theoretically) tells a compelling story with solid gunplay.

Non-linearity and freedom of choice, for starters.

I typically don't re-watch movies or re-read books because it's the same experience each and every time. The characters and situations never change.

With games, developers have the opportunity to deliver ever-changing experiences thanks to non-linear levels (with multiple routes and even hidden areas) as well as the freedom to approach things in almost any way you desire. Deus Ex is an obvious example of this, but there are many others as well. They don't necessarily have to be RPGs, either, as even oldschool shooters like Doom and Quake offered non-linear, highly replayable campaigns.

Based on everything I've seen and read, The Order: 1886 is little more than an interactive movie with some generic third-person shooter sequences strewn throughout. There is no exploration or discovery, and you're given little to no freedom in regards to how you tackle each situation. The story apparently doesn't branch off in different directions, either. The end result is a game with virtually no replay value, because after just one playthrough you've seen and done all that there is to see and do.

MrxDemix

Banned
This game is somehow even slower than I expected. The gunplay is snappier than what I played at PAX, but it's so uneventful so far. I'm 3.5 hours in.

Hoping for progression!!!!

This game is somehow even slower than I expected. The gunplay is snappier than what I played at PAX, but it's so uneventful so far. I'm 3.5 hours in.

Hoping for progression!!!!

Hope it gets more eventful for you soon. You only have 2 hours to go before it ends.

In before ground zeroes jokes.

told my friend the news, he's not thrilled about the 3 hour long story

yes he's canceling his pre-order

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The ending really can't be that bad can it? Lots seem disappointed, i've only watched until
the first elder lycan scene, otherwise known as the e3 demo.
How far into the game is that?

Noobcraft

The ending really can't be that bad can it? Lots seem disappointed, i've only watched until
the first elder lycan scene, otherwise known as the e3 demo.
How far into the game is that?
Having no real interest in the game I watched it (it's pretty easy to find), and I'd put it up there with the ending of Halo 4 in terms of "what just happened". In terms of game design I'd say there is a lot of missed potential.

the person who uploaded it apparently clocked in at around 5 hours and 26 minutes to complete it though, cutscenes included.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Having no real interest in the game I watched it (it's pretty easy to find), and I'd put it up there with the ending of Halo 4 in terms of "what just happened". In terms of game design I'd say there is a lot of missed potential.

the person who uploaded it apparently clocked in at around 5 hours and 26 minutes to complete it though, cutscenes included.
No friggin way.

whats your problem? Who gives a shit if someone enjoys it?

I get along with -MD- in RE threads but yeah....more and more it seems as if they're taking after Derrick where just jumping into threads about things they aren't interested isn't enough and have to bring in the people who are interested too. Don't see why either is necessary.

I haven't watched much of the game, but is the ending that off-putting in the context of the entire game (aka the events that lead up to it) or is it just people looking at it alone? Right now in saving judgement on the context leading up to it, the worst I can say is that it's anticlimactic.

Noobcraft

The ESRB has their ratings breakdown online now, it has some minor spoilers but nothing major if anyone is interested. I like reading their write-ups sometimes lol, they make some games sound amazing.
ESRB said:
...Firefights are accompanied by realistic gunfire, explosions, and splashes of red blood. Some explosives cause dismemberment; mutilated bodies, with exposed viscera, are also depicted...

medenko

Banned
If this is really below 10hours, i'll pass then, wait to drop to like 30€ max.
Not worth full price IMO. And no replay value.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm now 4.2 hours in. The game has been 80%ish cutscene so far.

This is very disappointing. Hope the ratio starts to get a bit better.

At this point, after all the impressions and some footage, I think I'm going to give this one a pass. At one point, I wasn't going to buy this at all until some stuff definitely swayed me but I'm not seeing much incentive to go and pay £50 for this on day 1. I'll definitely check it out for £20-30.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Just seen the ending thanks to someone sending me the link.. All I can say is dear me.

Thank the powers for Nintendo lol.

What a shame. Truelly shocking.

Just seen the ending thanks to someone sending me the link.. All I can say is dear me.

Thank the powers for Nintendo lol.

What a shame. Truelly shocking.

Get that console bullshit out of here, regardless of general opinions on studio output. Plenty can be said without console war shit getting dragged in.

-MD-

I'm skimming that guy's playthrough on youtube. Chapters 6, 7, 12 & 13 are a combined 24 minutes of straight cutscene

Edit: chapter 10 is a 4 minute cutscene.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm skimming that guy's playthrough on youtube. Chapters 6, 7, 12 & 13 are a combined 24 minutes of straight cutscene

Yeah, just saw.

I'm watching footage of Chapter 11 now.
What gives with this trial and error stealth gameplay? As soon as you're seen, you die. It's not too bad though since the checkpoint system seems to be pretty damn good.

I was just looking at that myself. Chapter 6 has some gameplay... uh kind of.

Seems like there's 3 types of chapters, 5 minute cutscene only chapters, 20 minutes half&half chapters and 45 minute mostly gameplay chapters.

Top Bottom