• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 - Preview Thread

ItIsOkBro

These negative impressions man, nothing like a game not living up to self-generated hype. That's what RoD get for being so mysterious I guess, they left too much time to let people's imaginations run wild. I do think they mystery is far from over though, we still need to see the monsters, get a good grasp of the story etc...

These negative impressions man, nothing like a game not living up to self-generated hype. That's what RoD get for being so mysterious I guess, they left too much time to let people's imaginations run wild. I do think they mystery is far from over though, we still need to see the monsters, get a good grasp of the story etc...

Negative ?

Barzul

I really wish this had a multiplayer component. Even if it's cooperative multiplayer, which I think would go with the setting.

You fellas are gonna see a lot more in the months to come. Breathe easy. But if any of you are expecting the third person shooter to suddenly become something else, it won't.

This is a cinematic linear shooter with horror elements. Don't like it? It's not the game for you.

I like that ALOT. The setting alone makes me smile in glee.

Yep, right up my alley too. Only thing I'd like to have beyond that would be campaign co-op.

You fellas are gonna see a lot more in the months to come. Breathe easy. But if any of you are expecting the third person shooter to suddenly become something else, it won't.

This is a cinematic linear shooter with horror elements. Don't like it? It's not the game for you.

That I like. As long as the shooting/gameplay mechanics are solid (i.e. no problems with camera/aiming/traversal, etc) I'll be there.
Yep, right up my alley too. Only thing I'd like to have beyond that would be campaign co-op.
Full campaign co-op would make me extremely happy.

nelchaar

The majority of the previews are great, even Polygon's! The outlier is IGN's.. Did not expect this kind of cynicism from Colin Moriarty.

MavFan619

Banned
I'm sorry but saying the game is in fact a TPS ( we knew this) or does have QTE is not a negative for everyone.

The majority of the previews are great, even Polygon's! The outlier is IGN's.. Did not expect this kind of cynicism from Colin Moriarty.

Colin sounds like he didn't even keep up with any news of The Order post-E3. GI's written preview already said that The Order is at its core, a TPS. And GI's demo didn't showcase anything special or out of the ordinary either, and they saw more than what Colin did.

It felt like he was projecting too much of what he wanted to see out of The Order, rather than what it actually is.

LKSmash

Why do people keep saying this? Ruse had negative first impressions regarding gameplay. The worst I see are concerns about this being yet another TPS with QTEs. Kind of different.

I admit it's not a direct comparison but there are still rumblings that the combat may prove to a be a little generic. Obviously we've seen a hell of a lot less than when Ryse first debuted at the XB1 reveal so we don't know the entire scope of the gameplay yet. But on first impressions it's the easiest game to draw similar talking points to.

Did the other previews comment about sharp transitions & lagging rates??

Also did anyone ask Ready at Dawn, who are lending their voices to the four characters?

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they have some sort of in-game melee system as well, and not just the "branching melee". I really dislike when third person games only focus on shooter mechanics and have nothing fun up close.

shandy706

As long as the QTEs are more of the Tomb Raider style and not the central gameplay theme like in Ryse I will be fine with them.

You've never played Ryse have you?

Outside of the ending and a few boss parts, Ryse does not have QTEs as people keep implying. Ryse has finishers, with optional button presses for stat/XP/health gains. You can basically ignore the finishers if you want in 80% of the combat. You can hack and slash through much of the game without them ever appearing. Although, it's more fun to unleash them visually. Maybe Crytek should have left the finishers in with zero boost prompts? People would probably still asses it wrongly though.

On the subject of The Order, didn't expect QTEs, but it's fine with me if the game is enjoyable and fun.

AngryMoth

Yeah don't like to pile on but I'm not feeling this game either at the moment. Looks amazing and has an intriguing premise but at the end of the day if it's just going to be a fairly standard tps then I'm not interested. Nice to get a glimpse of what the PS4 is capable of though.

Kikarian

Just talking about this with a friend. Does it definetly not have co-op? It looks like its set right up for it.
I'm not sure for definite whether it has or hasn't. But they haven't mentioned it. Surely if it was in the game it would of been one of the key parts they would talk about?

PJV3

Still loving it, I'm cautious about the gameplay, but I'm judging The order on what it is, not what it isn't.

So far nothing is putting me off the game.

_hekk05

Banned
You've never played Ryse have you?

Outside of the ending and a few boss parts, Ryse does not have QTEs as people keep implying. Ryse has finishers, with optional button presses for stat/XP/health gains. You can basically ignore the finishers if you want in 80% of the combat. You can hack and slash through much of the game without them ever appearing. Although, it's more fun to unleash them visually. Maybe Crytek should have left the finishers in with zero boost prompts? People would probably still asses it wrongly though.

On the subject of The Order, didn't expect QTEs, but it's fine with me if the game is enjoyable and fun.

Remember when they first revealed Ryse gameplay? QTE prompts everywhere. The mechanic hasn't changed, its still a giant qte fest. Its just that they make it so you can't fail them, so they're "not" qtes.

Violater

I think people were expecting too much. I tempered my expectations after hearing no coop or mp, it seems RAD has put all their effort into a "cinematic "single play through experience.

I think people were expecting too much. I tempered my expectations after hearing no coop or mp, it seems RAD has put all their effort into a "cinematic "single play through experience.

I think people should have tempered their expectations a while ago when we found out this was a RAD game. They have proven themselves fully capable of taking an existing franchise and making a great looking and solid playing game, but nothing revolutionary.

These guys are also probably much smaller than a studio like ND...and I think people have been expecting a game on the calibre of a studio like ND. This is their very first original IP, it was probably never going to really break new ground.

I'm not sure for definite whether it has or hasn't. But they haven't mentioned it. Surely if it was in the game it would of been one of the key parts they would talk about?

VG247 said:
Whatever the case, Ready At Dawn refused to properly discuss multiplayer. Whether that’s because they do want to make sure we understand this ‘new IP’ before talking about it, or because they’re not sure if they’re going to have time to implement it, remains to be seen.

As the only brand new and exclusive PS4 shooter with a triple-A budget behind it, there’s enormous pressure on The Order to deliver. What we’ve seen so far is packed full of potential, but we’re not yet convinced enough to let excitement get the better of us. We’ll have to go hands-on before that might happen.

This makes me think that ... maybe ... just maybe there's a chance. I dunno.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
This makes me think that ... maybe ... just maybe there's a chance. I dunno.

Well considering that they aren't doing anything revolutionary to really advance the genre from a gameplay perspective, I don't see why they wouldn't have a competitive or cooperative multiplayer component. The genre they're choosing to ground The Order's world is the perfect invitation for some type of multiplayer. It seems wrong otherwise in my opinion.

Also can people stop with the next-gen gameplay shit. There's nothing new under the sun in regards to gameplay anymore. I challenge anyone to show me a game with next gen gameplay!

Top Bottom