• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 runs 4xMSAA; 1920x800 vs 1920x1080 "not set in stone yet"

sitting close to a 100" projection screen I much prefer FOV corrected 2.40:1 ratio

otoh I want 60fps über alles and that 4xMSAA looks like a major cause for rough framerate - sacrifice I would never select in a performance constrained computer game

The Order's aspect ratio = artistic vision/freedom
BF4 or Ryse being 900p =/= artistic vision/freedom

That's how I read all of this artistic freedom nonsense.

DICE/Crytek obviously went with that resolution so they could deliver the vision they had for their games. Same with BF4 being 720p on XB1. DICE's vision left intact. Yet, many cry about it. Same with frame-rates, too. But let's protect Ready At Dawn's artistic freedom!
One of those titles will actually be presented in its native resolution.

The other ones use hardware scaling to try and trick the user.

DICE/Crytek obviously went with that resolution so they could deliver the vision they had for their games. Same with BF4 being 720p on XB1. DICE's vision left intact. Yet, many cry about it. Same with frame-rates, too. But let's protect Ready At Dawn's artistic freedom!

WTF are you talking about? These are two completely separate issues, though I suppose you could make the argument for Ryse actually, which people did by the way. Just saying. But with Battlefield? Surely you're joking with that one.

should be everyone's concern. although daxter, chains of olympus and ghost of sparta were heaps fun.

I'm not worried. All of those games were great.

Their "vision" is obscuring mine. A change in aspect ratio to remove black bars would be extremely simple and giving that option for those who would want it would hardly have any effect on the overall presentation at all. A simple "cropping" would remove any off frame bugs and droping the aa for 1080p would work fine.

I still can't fathom how a single person would actually want something like let alone wanting to fuck up any chance of them changing it when it clearly wont had a single benefit to the gameplay or even the presentation except during those highly scripted and controlled cinematic moments.
Simple. Don't buy this game. There are more people that want this game as is. Developers shouldn't have to change their original visions to appease the few that don't like change.

Ha! This sounds pretty much 'set in stone' to me!

ZopsNUP.png

Good for them! I'd be pissed if they change it just because some of us are cribbing endlessly about it.

This makes me very happy.

artist

Banned
Not sure what the outcry is for, I thought the dev clearly admitted the (perf) cost for doing MSAA at the full resolution ..

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I say just give us what they're capable of, jees.

People can "beg" for whatever technical specs they want but at the end of the day it's whatever they're capable of for the time of release.

Let's not also forget that this is a new console whose hardware developers won't be fully familiar with yet.

Jburton

Banned

You seem bitter and upset.

VanWinkle

No. The difference is that there is no conceivable reason Ryse or BF4 is upscaled besides performance constraints. That's it. It can only be about power. Black bars for a wider screen are not only seen as a performance issue, so an artistic choice makes sense.

Now that being said, since they chose that ratio, they can benefit from the extra power that frees up to make it an even better looking game.

It's better suite for the average size TV at the distances most people sit at. Though not having a higher FOV with an increase in TV size isn't good. So I hope more companies go for a wider FOV, even if it does mean turning down some effects.

Just to show one more time. Here is the typical console FOV in full frame vs the 75 that RAD is doing for 1886:

I play on monitor so that would be why. I play on 90 for everything.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Can someone explain me this:
KZ:SF MP component is using plain FXAA (dev said that, I think). Doesn't look good at all.
TR:Definitive and Trine 2 PS4 uses (apparently, DF says so) plain FXAA and both look freaking mint, some of the nicest IQ I've seen in a game.

How is this possible?

Ashes

Banned
I think I agree with the majority here in that the developers are being up front and honest with how they feel the game ought to look and feel. Regardless of whether they get it wrong or hit the ball out of the park with the final product.

Nonetheless, I don't see how they say it's not a performance issue, when clearly it is. Wouldn't they have 4xMSAA at 1920x1080 if they could? :p

/sorry I had to. I think I know what they meant. ;)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

But it basically does sound like that is the case. If they wanted, they clearly could have made this game use FXAA and have it full screen, and probably get even better performance than they're getting with 4xMSAA and 1920x800. They choose what they did for aesthetic reasons, it's actually pretty obvious now.

sinnergy

I think I agree with the majority here in that the developers are being up front and honest with how they feel the game ought to look and feel. Regardless of whether they get it wrong or hit the ball out of the park with the final product.

Nonetheless, I don't see how they say it's not a performance issue, when clearly it is. Wouldn't they have 4xMSAA at 1920x1080 if they could? :p

Unlimited power of PS4 ;)

Well, at least now we know someone who doesn't know the difference between native and upscaled and who doesn't really get this whole argument.

I play on monitor so that would be why. I play on 90 for everything.

90 or 95 for me. Some people go 115.. but.. that.. no. Lol.

My monitor is too big anyway. 23 inches is a lot...

But yeah, 55 FOV was the time of CRTs...we need to finally go for 75... we have wide screens but no wide angles... also the sizes are a lot bigger these days too.

sinnergy

But it basically does sound like that is the case. If they wanted, they clearly could have made this game use FXAA and have it full screen, and probably get even better performance than they're getting with 4xMSAA and 1920x800. They choose what they did for aesthetic reasons, it's actually pretty obvious now.

Except it's not, but the PR is.. ;)

DeweyChat

Banned
It's obvious that the aspect ratio is not for saving GPU, it would be easy for them to pu full 1080p and add AA2X, wich will already be the best IQ seen on consoles.

KZ:SF MP component is using plain FXAA (dev said that, I think). Doesn't look good at all.
TR:Definitive and Trine 2 PS4 uses (apparently, DF says so) plain FXAA and both look freaking mint, some of the nicest IQ I've seen in a game.
How is this possible?

There is many ways to implement FXAA in a game. In KZ SF multiplayer it's a cheaper one in order to keep high framerate.

R_Deckard

Ha! This sounds pretty much 'set in stone' to me!

ZopsNUP.png

Good for them! I'd be pissed if they change it just because some of us are cribbing endlessly about it.

Good stuff, this is how it should be, the Developers vision should not be swayed by this minority of LOUD whiners..This game is genuinely my No1 excited for this year bar none..Keep up the Good work.

4xmsaa...this game will look silly kinds of clean, like pure CG levels.

Caayn

The people that are complaining don't realize this. Just look at all their released shots. The FOV (and Andrea even mentions FOV on twitter) is higher than most console games.
I've got a problem with the giant black bars displayed. Not with the FOV. Is that so hard to understand for some of you here?

I think you may have misunderstood something. He said that they could've had 1080p with no MSAA(like every other console game) and it would be cheaper than the 1920*800 resolution they have now with 4x MSAA.

He was basically addressing the misconception that they avoided 1080p for performance constraints.

Kinthalis

Banned
I've got a problem with the giant black bars displayed. Not with the FOV. Is that so hard to understand for some of you here?

It's not like it's impossible to have a 1080p image with a higher FOV. PC games do it all the time.

Also don't grok the people saying 4X MSAA is not necessry at 1080p. On what planet? Also, I hope they combine that wiht some sort of texture and transparency AA or jaggies will likely still be abound.

Kinthalis

Banned
I think you may have misunderstood something. He said that they could've had 1080p with no MSAA(like every other console game) and it would be cheaper than the 1920*800 resolution they have now with 4x MSAA.

He was basically addressing the misconception that they avoided 1080p for performance constraints.

But... they DID avoid it for performance contraints. They wanted 4XMSAA and they couldn't do it at 1080p. How si that not due to performance constraints?

Orayn

But... they DID avoid it for performance contraints. They wanted 4XMSAA and they couldn't do it at 1080p. How si that not due to performance constraints?

Looking at the tweets, I'm reading it the other way around. They said that they decided on the 2.4:1 aspect ratio fairly early on, and the extra performance lets them get more lavish effects and 4x MSAA.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i do think that from now on instead of dropping to 900p developers should just go to 1920x800, since you get 1:1 pixel mapping out of it.

How is this possible?
I could have sworn to have read in the TR:DE DF article that TR:DE is using a special version of FXAA? I don't remember.

They wanted the aspect ratio and because the resolution is less demanding than 16:9, they can use MSAA.

I don't know how many times they have to say the concept the game was based on the resolution.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Except it's not, but the PR is.. ;)
They could have used the same FXAA implementation that new TR uses, have it at full screen and probably have even better performance than they have now. For 99% of people that AA method would have been acceptable. But they clearly didn't want to do things that way and want to follow their own vision.

sinnergy

That's not how game development works.
Btw, you can stop now, your post history is enough of a goldmine. ;)

It is..?? Because I am not even a frequent poster. It's just opinions..

Why would anyone want black bars in a game that is already displayed on a widescreen monitor.. please enlighten me..

This whole argument just smells like PR, they should have clearly stated well we can't do 4x msaa at 1080p so that's why we did it this way with black bars. And be done with it..

But now it's well yeah it's more cinematic, such bullshit. Our widescreen tv's are cinematic.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
oh so they could do 4xMSAA at 1920x1080?

They said that 1920*800 with 4xMSAA is more demaning than 1080p alone, so my guess is that they could have used 2xMSAA IF they had chosen 1080p. But they didn't, so now we have 4xMSAA.

They didn'd chose 1920*800 for MSAA alone. People should stop thinking they did.

Ashes

Banned

Why would anyone want black bars in a game that is already displayed on a widescreen monitor.. please enlighten me..

This whole argument just smells like PR, they should have clearly stated well we can't do 4x msaa at 1080p so that's why we did it this way with black bars.

But now it's well yeah it's more cinematic, such bullshit.

I think they do want to stick to a 'cinematic' aspect ratio. It was in all the concept art drawings.

They said that 1920*800 with 4xMSAA is more demaning than 1080p alone, so my guess is that they could have used 2xMSAA IF they chose 1080p. But they didn't, so now we have 4xMSAA.

They didn'd chose 1920x*800 for MSAA alone. People should stop thinking they did.
People will only stop saying it when it doesn't support their agenda.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i want to make a survival game with a 9:16 screen ratio so it's like a survivor is filming it on an iphone

Ashes

Banned
They could render in 4k if they wanted, that's not the point. They chose a target resolution and then designed the game around it.

I thought this thread was all about the target resolution *not being in stone*. So how is what you're saying not redundant?

I think you mean aspect ratio.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Keep the bars, don't listen to the asshats that made "full screen DVDs" a thing. Give us 4xMSAA.

Ashes

Banned
They said that 1920*800 with 4xMSAA is more demaning than 1080p alone, so my guess is that they could have used 2xMSAA IF they had chosen 1080p. But they didn't, so now we have 4xMSAA.

They didn'd chose 1920x*800 for MSAA alone. People should stop thinking they did.

My point was just mischievous more than anything. :p
But I don't see why people keep misrepresenting what I'm saying.

If they like 4xMSAA, then why don't they apply it at 1920x1080? They can't because of performance issue, isn't it?

This whole argument just smells like PR, they should have clearly stated well we can't do 4x msaa at 1080p so that's why we did it this way with black bars. And be done with it..

But now it's well yeah it's more cinematic, such bullshit. Our widescreen tv's are cinematic.
Uh movies haven't been 16:9 for years. The most common formats are 1.85:1 and 2.40:1(which is what the order uses)

I thought this thread was all about the target resolution *not being in stone*. So how is what you're saying not redundant?

I won't search on my phone but there's more recent tweets where the guy says that the game was designed around this and that it wasn't going to change.

The OP is redundant

I thought this thread was all about the target resolution *not being in stone*. So how is what you're saying not completely redundant.

It's pretty much set in stone going by the tweets on the page before this one .
They wanted a certain aspect ratio and they also get a performance boost don't see why one has to matter more than another .

Ashes

Banned
it's pretty much set in stone going by the tweets on the page before this one .

Seems like it. I was just poking fun at the developers saying it isn't a performance issue by comparing what mediocre hardware affords them rather than what could be done with higher specs.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
My point was just mischievous more than anything. :p
But I don't see why people keep misrepresenting what I'm saying.

If they like 4xMSAA, then why don't they apply it at 1920x1080? They can't because of performance issue, isn't it?

They only thing we know for sure is that we don't know.

Maybe they could have gone with 1080p and 4xMSAA and keep a stable 30fps but they decided not to.
Maybe using 4xMSAA at 1080p meant having 25fps all the time.
One thing we know is that they're using a Forward+ engine, so MSAA is less demanding than if they were to use a deferred one.

We don't know. People need to stop trying to pass what they think as the truth.

Top Bottom