• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outrun Online Arcade (XBLA/PSN) Official Thread

eso76

getting this as soon as i get home, but that 720p capture looks quite bad.
No AA and hud was upscaled ? ? : |

Go319

errr i know its called Outrun Online Arcade, but whats the offline mode like? is it like the xbox/ps2 versions?

acm2000

brain_stew said:
Only 720p, really? What was there excuse for jettisoning native 1080p rendering? The hardware is more than capable enough for it. The difference between "HD" outrun and good old Outrun 2006 for the PC is pretty staggering.

E.g.

PC:

IMG

X360:

IMG

i'll pass, thanks.

:lol

idiot, look up jpg artifacts on google

acm2000 said:
:lol

idiot, look up jpg artifacts on google

Yep because getting rid of compression artifacts gives a game free antialiasing, anisotropic filtering and renders it at twice the resolution, right?

If Sega released better captures, I'd happily use them, but no amount of whining about compression artifacts is going to make the game on the same level as a 3 year old PC port. That's outright embarrassing in my book.

pswii60

Game looks beautiful. Totally nails the old-school Outrun vibe.

Definitely going to be a leaderboard race with my friends on this one :)
brain_stew said:
Yep because getting rid of compression artifacts gives a game free antialiasing, anisotropic filtering and renders it at twice the resolution, right?

If Sega released better captures, I'd happily use them, but no amount of whining about compression artifacts is going to make the game on the same level as a 3 year old PC port. That's outright embarrassing in my book.
Quit your moaning and try the damn game, for free, before making a judgement.
pilonv1 said:
No Euro mixes :(
Indeed, disappointing. I love the original arcade Outrun/Turbo Outrun soundtracks but the arrangements in this are piss poor. Would be nice to have the originals or euro remixes.

eso76

voltron said:
The different cars have no effect other than aesthetic right?

wrong (EDIT: to clarify: differences in speed, acceleration, handling; nothing too complex, just those parameters, kind of like the different cars in early Ridge Racers)

so you guys playing the game, does it really look good / better than captures ?

and again, outrun 2 + c2c tracks or just c2c or a selection of both, or new ones or...

Go319 said:
errr i know its called Outrun Online Arcade, but whats the offline mode like? is it like the xbox/ps2 versions?

There is no offline career/mission mode, like the old disc-based games. This game is entirely focused on high-scoring for the leaderboards, and online play.

The leaderboards are:

- Outrun mode: Goal A, B, C, D, E, 15 continuous stages
- Heart attack: Goal A, B, C, D, E
- Time attack: Separate leaderboards for automatic and manual transmission, and standard/tuned cars (so 4 types of leaderboards for each goal).

Surfheart

Just echoing the above sentiments, this game just pops off the fucking screen!!! It's so smooth and colourful. Like having the most amazing arcade driving game in your own home but better!

Ok, now Daytona please Sega!

S1kkZ

did they lower the difficulty? the demo seems to be much easier than the xbox version, which is good for me :)

acm2000

brain_stew said:

well for a start, the xbla/psn port uses the arcade textures, thus looks better than the pc/older console ports

Rlan

BA005 said:
Does anyone know if and when this will be available in Japan?

Content: OutRun Online Arcade
Price: 800 Microsoft Points
Availability: Not available in Hong Kong and Japan

/sadhorn

S1kkZ said:
did they lower the difficulty? the demo seems to be much easier than the xbox version, which is good for me :)
The full game defaults to "Very Easy" difficulty so I'd imagine the demo is the same. I cranked that sucker right up though. I /LOVE/ Outrun and this is just hot, buttery, 60FPS smooth Sega Sex wrapped in a download.:lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Just got online, later than I wanted to, but hell - it's OutRun Online time! :D

And I can't believe some guy used IGN compressed pics to compare to a direct-feed grab when anyone with a 360 could just download the demo.

Whatever, downloading now!

Beezy

This game is crack. I've been playing for like 2 hours straight. Make sure to try a multiplayer race, it's fun as hell. If anyone wants to add me on 360, my gt is Ji3eezy. I'm going to sleep now, but I'll be on later today.

Futurevoid said:
The full game defaults to "Very Easy" difficulty so I'd imagine the demo is the same.

Damn, I thought I was doing really good. :(

Chinner

Banned
Skilotonn said:
Tap brake and immediately hit left or right, preferably in a sharp turn...
I've tried stuff like this but it never works. I just go down a gear instead, works brilliantly ;D

besiktas1

FISH FASH FOSH..... FISH FASH FOSHHHHHHHHHhh
:lol :lol

Was anybody else checking to see if their speakers had popped for the menu sfx? :p Would have liked some music and bling, blongs instead of FISH FASH FOSHHHhhh.

But game looks amazing though, really sharp, super fun too... I may have to pass though, I'm waiting to see what lode runner is like.

Sulaco

Looks great but it takes forever to restart a race once its ended. Is the full version the same way? Hate that in a game.

Fox the Sly

brain_stew said:
Only 720p, really? What was there excuse for jettisoning native 1080p rendering? The hardware is more than capable enough for it. The difference between "HD" outrun and good old Outrun 2006 for the PC is pretty staggering.

E.g.

PC:

http://i41.tinypic.com/72y4gz.jpg[IMG]

X360:

[IMG]http://xboxlivemedia.ign.com/xboxlive/image/article/939/939539/outrun-online-arcade-20081218104036721.jpg[IMG]

I'll pass, thanks.[/QUOTE]

I just wish the PC servers were still up. =/

john tv

Rlan said:
But it's why you hate Japan, right? :)
I have a US credit card so I get the best of both worlds. Just played a couple rounds of Outrun -- silky smooth! Feels great. Love these kinds of games with the 360 controller.

gkryhewy

brain_stew said:

E.g.

PC:

lol. dude, come on, that 720p shot is compressed to fucking hell.

brain_stew said:

Man, 1080p whores. Are you playing with your face 6 inches from a computer monitor or something?

Chinner said:
I've tried stuff like this but it never works. I just go down a gear instead, works brilliantly ;D

Ah, yes, sliding in Outrun differs greatly between using manual and automatic transmission: using automatic you brake slightly and using manual you shift down. That's why using manual gives a slight advantage in Outrun.

i wasn't going to get it with ExciteBots coming out next week, but for only 800 points (and using that 1600 points I got for 20 cents on amazon) I'm sold. Looks really good.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Chinner said:

Oops, you have to let go of gas & tap brake then turn (brake: LT) - I told you that before even starting the match so I didn't remember it exactly...

BrokenSymmetry said:
Ah, yes, sliding in Outrun differs greatly between using manual and automatic transmission: using automatic you brake slightly and using manual you shift down. That's why using manual gives a slight advantage in Outrun.

Ah, there you go, didn't realize you were using manual till afterwards - well there's your answer for manual...

It's going to take me a while to get the 14'30" achievement for the Time Attack Mode... somebody's have to stop being a puss and learn manual transmission

*edit* Ooooh, automatic + tuned = this will be much easier. Later stages keep pwning me. I'm so rusty

Top Bottom