• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantasy Star 25th Anniversary Thread | When Red Rings Were Good

Aeana

So hey guys what do you think ..
was Alys = Alis?

*Post sent from my 1996 time machine

Nope. PS1's hero's name is Alisa in Japanese, and Alys's name is Lyla in Japanese. They're totally different. No idea why they made them similar in the English versions.

Kokonoe

Banned
Posting music? Well, how about one that is a mix of Rise or Fall from Phantasy Star II that's in PSO?

I like this song quite a bit.

Phantasy Star Online - Trick Track

And nothing will ever top this ending theme in a video game for me. Beautiful and touching while it just hits the right spot after you go through all things you do to beat Ultimate,
while finally putting Red Ring Rico and Flowen to rest.
Even more so for me since I did it all offline and it took me forever by myself.

PSO Episode 2 Ultimate Ending - World With Me

pants

Nope. PS1's hero's name is Alisa in Japanese, and Alys's name is Lyla in Japanese. They're totally different. No idea why they made them similar in the English versions.

Lutz and his mind ball antics sowed those seeds in the community, them being friends from long ago *wink* *wink* etc

Hawk269

Love this thread because it brings back a ton of fond memories. Phantasy Star 1 is still my all time favorite game and I remember playing it 24 hours straight. I only stopped to eat and get some graph paper from the store to map out the dungeons. To this day, I have never played a game for that long. Visually, it was the most impressive game and it was one of the best RPG's of it's time. I still remember it receiving a ton of year end awards from magazines.

I would love a remake or a Xbox Live/PSN version.

IrishNinja

Even though I hate Phantasy Star 3, I am still glad I didn't skip it since the story ties into 4's.

me too, honestly. but it was a sequel to PS2 in '91, there was literally no way i wasn't gonna see every ending anyway

yup, that's the one i had in mind, heh.
my favorite PS3 track hands-down was...shit, it's like a rendition of the title theme that you hear when wren goes underwater to the hidden city laya comes from or something, dammit you cant youtube things this way ninja

bishopcruz (from here on GAF) was the first person to solve this mystery for me, what an odd choice they made. weirder than the noah/lutz thing for me.

also - and bear in mind i was a kid - did anyone else assume Rolf & Nei's relationship was that of boyfriend/girlfriend, rather than sibling-like? i know he says something in the intro about her being like kin but i guess i read (shipped?!) that into it in my 11 year old mind

ps listening to PS IV links...wow, i loved Rika but Laughter went hard

pants

When I played PSIV as a kid the first time, I thought that Zio was the coolest, most mysterious and awesome dude ever. I didnt want to have to battle him, just thought he was misunderstood T_T

Always wanted him to be in my party,
didnt even care what he did to Alys
I immediately hated Seth from the get go though, I mean the dude is walking around with a pedo mustache and wants to come join my party led by a 16 year old :lol

Noooooope!

When I played PSIV as a kid the first time, I thought that Zio was the coolest, most mysterious and awesome dude ever. I didnt want to have to battle him, just thought he was misunderstood T_T

PLS LEAVE :mad:

When I was a kid I thought Zio was the last boss and that the game was over once I defeated him. I was sooooooo wrong.

pants

no man
that's now how we play, pants

PLS LEAVE :mad:

You leave haters! Right this second :mad:

GRcTV.jpg

When I was a kid I thought Zio was the last boss and that the game was over once I defeated him. I was sooooooo wrong.
As I kid I didnt know much of much but when I grew up and replayed it laughed so hard at having to face a thing called
Dark Phallus

IrishNinja

seriously! you don't see me wanting Neifirst in my party.

SPEAKING OF: did any of youse ever use a game genie (or i dunno, power level like crazy) just to beat her?!

if Nei wins, you get some text about how they're parts of a whole or the like and she still dies. (;_;) OH OKAY CLONE LAB, YOU WERE COOL HANDLING THIS BEFORE CLIMATORL BUT NOW SHE'S GONE FOREVER SO WHY NOT USE THE HILL OUT BACK EH

sega4ever

I immediately hated Seth from the get go though, I mean the dude is walking around with a pedo mustache and wants to come join my party led by a 16 year old :lol

Noooooope!

whats it like to be a terrible person?

pants

Pants pls, Alys was awesome.
It was so sad when I had to fight her in the Anger Tower on Rykros ;_;

She was, but Zio was still better! I have nothing against her, shes one of my favs I just have a definite preference for Zio.

You guys are going to make me post her last breath.mp3 then we all will feel like poo :mad:

PSII is weird for me, I love the game so much but I basically only like Anna, Nei, Shir and Amy I dont care much for the others :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
seriously! you don't see me wanting Neifirst in my party.

SPEAKING OF: did any of youse ever use a game genie (or i dunno, power level like crazy) just to beat her?!

if Nei wins, you get some text about how they're parts of a whole or the like and she still dies. (;_;) OH OKAY CLONE LAB, YOU WERE COOL HANDLING THIS BEFORE CLIMATORL BUT NOW SHE'S GONE FOREVER SO WHY NOT USE THE HILL OUT BACK EH
I was incredibly stubborn and when I learned you can do that, I ended up going nuts with the levelling to try to do it. Talk about a kick in the rear after all that effort. :p

How am I so late to this thread. This is one of my favorite RPG series, if not my favorite of all times. I used to be obsessed with the lore of this universe.

Aeana

I've only ever played the PSO games and the PSP series.

Clearly I need to go back and play the original series. In a row.
Go on JP PSN and download Sega Ages: Phantasy Star Complete Collection. I believe it was just added today! Or if not, it will be very soon.
It has both the US and JP versions of each game, and enhancements like 2x exp/money and walking speed improvements, etc.

EDIT: Yeah, it's up. 800 yen!

pants

Go on JP PSN and download Sega Ages: Phantasy Star Complete Collection. I believe it was just added today! Or if not, it will be very soon.
It has both the US and JP versions of each game, and enhancements like 2x exp/money and walking speed improvements, etc.

EDIT: Yeah, it's up. 800 yen!

Yeah it was added yesterday, wanted to make a thread about it but didnt think anyone would care about it (I thought it was Japanese only). I didn't realize the US versions were in there, so with that particular revelation im going to be buying it right this second :D

@MUWANdo

Banned
PSIV was a great game, but honestly, I felt like it was missing something - like it was made with a slightly cynical viewpoint, throwing in things for the Phantasy Star fans but without the real heart that made those games click.

PS4 was made with the instructions that they reunite as many of the original developers as possible, and in turn, Rieko Kodama made a point of adding a lot of new employees to the team who were big fans of the earlier games in order to make sure the game didn't turn out like PS3 (which was developed by an almost entirely different set of people for reasons that escape me).

IrishNinja

...PS3 (which was developed by an almost entirely different set of people for reasons that escape me).

does anyone know why this was? i mean, the entire aesthetic, world...everything about PS3 felt disconnected from the series. even the battle animations were a huge step back...its one of those ones if id've learned it was a whole other JRPG that got shoehorned into being a PS a la Mario 2 or something, i'dve totally understood.

@MUWANdo

Banned
does anyone know why this was? i mean, the entire aesthetic, world...everything about PS3 felt disconnected from the series. even the battle animations were a huge step back...its one of those ones if id've learned it was a whole other JRPG that got shoehorned into being a PS a la Mario 2 or something, i'dve totally understood.

I don't remember the exact circumstances, but I think it was just a case of them wanting to do something radically different and break from the precepts established by the first two games. (It probably doesn't hurt that Naka had moved onto Sonic, either.)

More broadly, there seems to be a superstition or cultural significance around the third entry in a series in Japan; I've heard the whole "well, we made it to the third entry, time to reinvent everything" explanation about a ton of different series, not just games but manga and anime and whatnot, too. I'm sure someone knows a lot more about it.

Kodama doesn't really elaborate here

Thomas Nickel: What can you tell us about the story behind the development of Phantasy Star 3 - why was it so different, why were different people working on it and what do you think about the game today?

Rieko Kodama: The person who did the game design for Phantasy Star 2 planned Phantasy Star 3. Because we wanted to go into a new direction with PS3, we formed a different team from the one that had created PS 1 and 2. For us, who laid the groundwork for the Phantasy Star series, it is an absolute pleasure that developers of SEGA will create and grow its new titles. In fact, we actually have developers who joined SEGA after they used to play Phantasy Star in their childhood. Those people are now in a position to develop its new titles. I am excited to think that people who played PSO or PSU will create the next generation Phantasy Star in the future.

I'm sure I read another interview in which she alluded to the fact that Sega wanted new blood on the team.

Sounds like what Namco are currently doing to Dark Souls ;_;

Here's some more:

GotNext: Phantasy Star III was a major change for the series, and a lot of peoples' opinions are divided on the game. What are your thoughts about the game?

Kodama: Most of the planning staff for the game were from PS2. When we were in the planning stages for PS3, we thought that we wanted to make something that could be played without being familiar with the first two games, instead of being a direct continuation. I think it's an interesting game in its own right.

GotNext: Why did you decide to create a story that diverted quite far from the first two games? Were you happy with the result?

Kodama: Well, I think I answered a little of that before, but...the reason why the story was so radically different was that the dev team wanted to create a different Phantasy Star. I think it's a unique little piece of the series' history and I am happy with thte outcome.

Apologies for being so wordy and so rambling. I hope a bit of this made sense.

Do NOT apologize for being wordy, dammit! Your post was a delicious read; it transported me to the magical land of everyone's childhood and the things we hold dear to our heart. It made me remember my own story with Phantasy Star, and, through the feelings it evoked, tempted me to do the same as you, so that others might enjoy my story as well.

Phantasy Star 2 was my first ever JRPG. If you think the US was starved of JRPGs back in the days, you would loathe to live in Spain! I don't think we actually had any JRPGs officially released there until late into the late 90's. Heck, the first Final Fantasy released here was FF7. Of course, no Phantasy Star game was ever released here until Online. Fortunately, me and my friends frequented a shop that sold and rented imported games. I honestly can't remember what was it that drew me to Phantasy Star 2, but I can say without a hint of exaggeration that renting it was something that changed my life.

Although I was familiar with the concept of pen-and-paper RPGs, I simply was not prepared for a game like that, on so many levels. Even from the simple things like the concept that you could not simply go straight to the dungeon you were sent to and expect to finish it on your first try. Yes, it is ironic to mention this now that you CAN do that in modern RPGs, but of course, back then, you were expected to level up for a bit first.

Then, of course, the story. Phantasy Star 2 may have a barebones story for today's standards, but coming out of the 8-bit era without having touched anything resembling an RPG, it was downright wordy. I was freaking shocked with Nei's death. I mean, killing off a playable character in the middle of the story? Who the hell does that? This also meant an additional barrier for me, who had never played a game in English with so much text (my native language being, of course, Spanish). To this day, I credit a large part of my English proficiency to all those JRPGs I played as a child, especially Final Fantasies.

Also, the lenght. It seemed to go on and on, forever. Back then it felt like I simply could not hold the entirety of the game in my head; it was mindblowing to think about all that had happened, everywhere that I had been to, by the game's end. Not surprising, considering that the most expansive I had played by then was probably Super Mario Bros 2. It just felt amazing that a single game could hold such a large, detailed world, with so many things happening in it.

I was simply so enthralled with this game, that I kept extending and extending the rental. And, when I finally finished it, I bought their rental and only copy. I still have it, of course :). I would experience these feelings anew (the story and characterization, the overwhelming expansiveness) when playing another game: Final Fantasy II US (IV). The story repeated itself, with me extending the rental of this import until finishing it, then buying it.

Later on, I rented Phantasy Star III, but was extremely let down. I don't think I ever got past the first generation. I would have to play them side by side to understand exactly what was it that put me off almost instantly, but very possibly the medieval setting, already done to death, didn't help. I also didn't feel anything from the characters.

When Phantasy Star IV came around, I actually bought it outright. I loved the hell of it; it's a masterpiece that can proudly sit among the best the SNES had to offer.

Phantasy Star Online was my first online game ever, and again, I was blown away. At the time flat-rate internet was not exactly common in my country; I seem to actually remember getting a plan where we got flat-rate internet after 18:00 when I already had the game. I actually imported the Japanese version and played with Japanese people; they showered me with stuff and were so courteous!

That's pretty much my last interaction with the series, over 12 years ago. I'll probably get burned at the stake in this thread, but the successive PSO iterations have felt to me like they've not moved on with the times (or perhaps it's simply that online gaming has exploded and something as simple as PSO doesn't satisfy me anymore). I would dearly, dearly want a new offline, classic Phantasy Star; however, considering how I've loathe the direction other series have taken (Final Fantasy being the most obvious example), perhaps its memory is best left undisturbed.

This is probably my favorite jRPG series, along with Dragon Quest.

Only in the last couple of months I had the time to finally play my PS2 versions of PSU and the expansion. They're not baaaad games, just don't live up to PSO. Unfortunately Episode 3 from Ambition of the Illuminus isn't available to be played anywhere and that's where the best part of the story is. Thank you youtube playthroughs!

I finished PSP1 yesterday, I liked it more than the console versions. Started PSP2 now, seems to be waaay better, which is awesome. Now Sega, make PSP2 Infinity available to the west pls. ;__;

pyrandes

PS2 still holds a special place in my heart (along with its music in my head at times) due to it being the first JRPG I've played -- I had totally skipped over the 8bit NES/SMS era.

It was a hard (especially compared to the cakewalk in comparison of PS4) but enjoyable game that I had to put down for an extended period due to being stuck on
Dark Force, who was significantly harder than Mother Brain
. Even the hint booklet yielded no clues to beat him aside from some intense grinding and stealing of items that made life a lot easier.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Superior version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss-bPYeoxnU

/waits for djtiesto to come in and champion the PSG version like a weirdo.

whaaaaaattt the FM soundtrack for Phantasy Star is terrible. That's true of every SMS game that isn't Ys or R-Type, but Phantasy Star in particular sounds so tinny and weak. The PSG soundtrack has a much moodier, more forlorn texture to it. In comparison, the overworld to Palma on the FM soundtrack sounds like circus music.

I didn't get to play the original Phantasy Star when it came out. The cover artwork looked amazing, and I had a promo video tape of various SMS games, which featured this game. I watched it over and over, but even though I wanted it, my parents never got it for me. I think it was too expensive, like $70. I was also about 7 at the time, probably too young to really understand it anyway.

So my first real experience with the series wasn't until I picked up Phantasy Star II used at the local rental store about 5 years later. I knew it had a good reputation because Video Games & Computer Entertainment, the magazine I subscribed to, had given it "Game of the Year" a few years prior. I think it was the third RPG I'd played at that point, after Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy. I really got into it for awhile, but had to drop it. There was some spell I needed to get (some kind of music spell, I think), somewhere in the middle of those damned dam dungeons. But I could never find it. I got the game loose so I didn't have the strategy guide, and any of the guides I found in bookstores never helped. I assumed it was a glitch at the time and gave up.

Chronsega recently featured PSII on their video, and even though I enjoyed it at the time, nowadays I'd have to agree with his assertion - it really is a worse game than its predecessor in a number of ways, though the graphic design is still fantastic.

PSIII and PSIV I didn't get to play until I started getting back into console games in the late 90s. PSIII feels like such an amateur effort on every front, it's such a weird game. The soundtrack, in spite of its shrilness, is very good though.

PSIV, though, is brilliant. It took everything that was good about PSII (the mood, the aesthetics), improved the graphics, fixed basically everything that was wrong with it, and ended up with one of the best RPGs of the era. It's too bad the SNES was determined the JRPG victor, because PSIV REALLY stands up to the best that system has to offer.

It's aged amazingly well too, mostly because it's paced incredibly well. Combat is quick, movement is quick, there's really no need for grinding. It has energy in a way that most RPGs don't. Too bad about the inconsistent translations mucking up some of the best things about it, but so it goes.

Everything after these, I'm not sure I can about. The PlayStation 2 remakes are fairly unimpressive too.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
whaaaaaattt the FM soundtrack for Phantasy Star is terrible. That's true of every SMS game that isn't Ys or R-Type, but Phantasy Star in particular sounds so tinny and weak. The PSG soundtrack has a much moodier, more forlorn texture to it. In comparison, the overworld to Palma on the FM soundtrack sounds like circus music.

Oh, I'm not the only one then! Good to know!

Something something create fanart for Phantasy Star based on it's history here http://phantasystar.sega.jp/psportal/history/ winner to be announced in Feb *headache*

Haha thanks. I don't trust Sega stans with fan art. I wonder how many of them will involve Nei being tickle-tortured?!

Do NOT apologize for being wordy, dammit! Your post was a delicious read; it transported me to the magical land of everyone's childhood and the things we hold dear to our heart. It made me remember my own story with Phantasy Star, and, through the feelings it evoked, tempted me to do the same as you, so that others might enjoy my story as well.

Phantasy Star 2 was my first ever JRPG. If you think the US was starved of JRPGs back in the days, you would loathe to live in Spain! I don't think we actually had any JRPGs officially released there until late into the late 90's. Heck, the first Final Fantasy released here was FF7. Of course, no Phantasy Star game was ever released here until Online. Fortunately, me and my friends frequented a shop that sold and rented imported games. I honestly can't remember what was it that drew me to Phantasy Star 2, but I can say without a hint of exaggeration that renting it was something that changed my life.

Although I was familiar with the concept of pen-and-paper RPGs, I simply was not prepared for a game like that, on so many levels. Even from the simple things like the concept that you could not simply go straight to the dungeon you were sent to and expect to finish it on your first try. Yes, it is ironic to mention this now that you CAN do that in modern RPGs, but of course, back then, you were expected to level up for a bit first.

Then, of course, the story. Phantasy Star 2 may have a barebones story for today's standards, but coming out of the 8-bit era without having touched anything resembling an RPG, it was downright wordy. I was freaking shocked with Nei's death. I mean, killing off a playable character in the middle of the story? Who the hell does that? This also meant an additional barrier for me, who had never played a game in English with so much text (my native language being, of course, Spanish). To this day, I credit a large part of my English proficiency to all those JRPGs I played as a child, especially Final Fantasies.

Also, the lenght. It seemed to go on and on, forever. Back then it felt like I simply could not hold the entirety of the game in my head; it was mindblowing to think about all that had happened, everywhere that I had been to, by the game's end. Not surprising, considering that the most expansive I had played by then was probably Super Mario Bros 2. It just felt amazing that a single game could hold such a large, detailed world, with so many things happening in it.

I was simply so enthralled with this game, that I kept extending and extending the rental. And, when I finally finished it, I bought their rental and only copy. I still have it, of course :). I would experience these feelings anew (the story and characterization, the overwhelming expansiveness) when playing another game: Final Fantasy II US (IV). The story repeated itself, with me extending the rental of this import until finishing it, then buying it.

Later on, I rented Phantasy Star III, but was extremely let down. I don't think I ever got past the first generation. I would have to play them side by side to understand exactly what was it that put me off almost instantly, but very possibly the medieval setting, already done to death, didn't help. I also didn't feel anything from the characters.

When Phantasy Star IV came around, I actually bought it outright. I loved the hell of it; it's a masterpiece that can proudly sit among the best the SNES had to offer.

Phantasy Star Online was my first online game ever, and again, I was blown away. At the time flat-rate internet was not exactly common in my country; I seem to actually remember getting a plan where we got flat-rate internet after 18:00 when I already had the game. I actually imported the Japanese version and played with Japanese people; they showered me with stuff and were so courteous!

That's pretty much my last interaction with the series, over 12 years ago. I'll probably get burned at the stake in this thread, but the successive PSO iterations have felt to me like they've not moved on with the times (or perhaps it's simply that online gaming has exploded and something as simple as PSO doesn't satisfy me anymore). I would dearly, dearly want a new offline, classic Phantasy Star; however, considering how I've loathe the direction other series have taken (Final Fantasy being the most obvious example), perhaps its memory is best left undisturbed.

MadonnaCriesOprah2.gif

pants

This is probably my favorite jRPG series, along with Dragon Quest.

Only in the last couple of months I had the time to finally play my PS2 versions of PSU and the expansion. They're not baaaad games, just don't live up to PSO. Unfortunately Episode 3 from Ambition of the Illuminus isn't available to be played anywhere and that's where the best part of the story is. Thank you youtube playthroughs!

I finished PSP1 yesterday, I liked it more than the console versions. Started PSP2 now, seems to be waaay better, which is awesome. Now Sega, make PSP2 Infinity available to the west pls. ;__;
I really dislike the way chars move in PSP it's like they are all gliding on ice and they feel weightless ugh. Despite than I had fun with the PSP titles.

Harlock

Played a shit ton from 1 and 4. Completed the 2, but using saving states.

A good thing about the 1 is that you can save anytime.

pants

I always resented the Genesis (US) boxart for PSIV (it's the version I have). The Mega Drive (EU) version had the same image but at least it had the beautiful blue MD borders.

I dunno what to make of the JPN boxart, it always weirded me out (the front cover at least, the back was awesome).

It's the only Genesis game I have in my collection, the rest of my games are all MD (EU)

pyrandes

Played a shit ton from 1 and 4. Completed the 2, but using saving states.

A good thing about the 1 is that you can save anytime.

Technically 2 could do this to...but only after a certain point.

One needed to get Shir up to at least 30 (gah, she was useless on the whole) so she could steal items from the Item shop (on Dezolis), and most importantly an item from the Capital Control tower/ship transport on Motavia. It took quite a few tries in and out of the damn thing to get the item in question (name escapes me since I havent played it in years)

Save States just made it way too easy ^^

I always resented the Genesis (US) boxart for PSIV (it's the version I have). The Mega Drive (EU) version had the same image but at least it had the beautiful blue MD borders.

I dunno what to make of the JPN boxart, it always weirded me out (the front cover at least, the back was awesome).

It's the only Genesis game I have in my collection, the rest of my games are all MD (EU)

The western PSIV cover is foul, but I love the western PSII cover

vPAlj.jpg

I just think it's a great picture. Captures the fantasy/sci-fi look I'd imagine the series would have today if Sega had balls.

Top Bottom