• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

HotHamBoy

There was a patch today for better lighting in Stern Pinball Arcade. I refuse to pay the price for the tables even if I want that Star Trek Table.

So if you don't have the corresponding older tables on TPA, I think the bundles are a pretty good deal in Stern Pinball Arcade. The older tables have the newer flipper physics that their PS4/XB1 TPA counterparts are still missing.

The new tables are pretty great. The patch fixed almost all the problems I had with the tables and Star Trek and AC/DC are really good. Mustang plays nice but I just don't really care for it.

I'm pretty shitty about the Gottlieb Premieres, especially since drek like Bone Busters is getting picked over Freddy Nightmare on Elmstreet.

Gladiators is a decent table, though. Above average for Premiere. It was originally going to be The Legend of Zelda, then American Gladiators, and finally just Gladiators when those licensing deals fell through.

The license with Williams has indeed expired, hopefully FS renews it.

Vyse24

I believe today was suppose to be the first day of the 12 days of Pinball Arcade news. Nothing so far. I wonder if it's been scrapped this year?

Wrong thread.

However while I'm here, I wonder when Stern Pinball Arcade will be releasing on the PC. It's a shame TPA app has been sort of abysmal as of late.

Shaneus

I believe today was suppose to be the first day of the 12 days of Pinball Arcade news. Nothing so far. I wonder if it's been scrapped this year?
I'm sure I can think of at enough things they can fix/update/patch to last them scores of "12 days of Christmas".

Vyse24

I'm sure I can think of at enough things they can fix/update/patch to last them scores of "12 days of Christmas".
We spoke too soon. It starts today with their annual tournament. Sharing the Facebook post enters you in a contest to win Doctor Who on either Mobile or Steam.

Shaneus

We spoke too soon. It starts today with their annual tournament. Sharing the Facebook post enters you in a contest to win Doctor Who on either Mobile or Steam.
Did they ever release that rethemed table? I've neither seen nor heard anything about it.

Triz

What was day one? Still waiting on the Steam release for SPA.

Day 3:

We are very proud to announce that we will be adding Season Three and Four custom ball packs in a coming update!

Day 2:
The disc version of Stern Pinball Arcade has just been released for PS4 and Xbox One!

Day 1:
We just launched a timed holiday tournament for Steam, mobile, and PSN that will be running until Christmas!
Tables:
Medieval Madness
Theatre of Magic
Central Park
High Speed II
Space Shuttle
Earthshaker
Starship Troopers
Xenon

Vyse24

It's Day Four of "Pinball Arcade's 12 Days of Christmas"!
Want to get in on our days of giveaways? Share and like on Facebook!
We are very proud to announce that Ghostbusters™ by Stern Pinball will be included in Bundle Pack 2 when released! You can purchase the bundle in-game now to ensure you have access to one of the latest and greatest pinball tables on the market today.
We can't wait to bring the all new magnetic slingshots, Ecto Goggle hologram and amazing rule-set to your gaming device!
Stern Pinball Arcade is currently available on PS4, Xbox One and Gear VR and will be coming soon to Steam, iOS, Android, Wii U and Oculus Rift!
Share this post and make sure to mark it "Public" to be entered to win a free copy of Bundle Pack Two for Stern Pinball Arcade! We will be announcing 5 winners tomorrow! Make sure to like our page to be eligible to win!

There's your Ghostbusters news.

Shaneus

Surprised that's made an appearance so quickly. Wonder how they'll manage code updates?

I think that also confirms they have SPIKE emulation/support working, too.

Shaneus

Day 6 is confirmation that SPA will get Woah Nellie: Big Juicy Melons.
It is? Woah.

Do they say if when buying the SPA disc release, all these titles announced for it will be free? Because I'd consider buying it, but not if it's just a base pack and you have to shell out for "seasons" or whatever.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
It is? Woah.

Do they say if when buying the SPA disc release, all these titles announced for it will be free? Because I'd consider buying it, but not if it's just a base pack and you have to shell out for "seasons" or whatever.
I don't know about that, but Ghostbusters will be included in SPA Table Pack 2 once it comes out. You can buy Table Pack 2 now, and get Ghostbusters when it's released.

Vyse24

Day 8

To celebrate the launch of Arcooda Pinball Arcade, Arcooda today announced it will offer discounts to existing buyers of The Pinball Arcade. Customers who have purchased The Pinball Arcade for any platform: PC/Steam, Xbox, PlayStation, Apple, Android Wii and Ouya –will receive dollar-for-dollar discount when they purchase Arcooda Pinball Arcade software on the Arcooda range of arcade and pinball machines.
Full detalis:
https://www.arcooda.com/pinball-arcade-customers-receive-discounts-arcooda-pinball-arcade/

Shaneus

And today there's some weird collab happening with TPA/FS and (I think) a virtual pinball machine manufacturer in Australia that I've never heard of?

Playing TPA tables with their still-dodgy physics on a virtual cab would fuck with my head too much.

HotHamBoy

Stern Pinball Arcade is now on iOS/Mobile/Steam.

Same tables/bundles/pricing as consoles (remember, Ghostbusters will be included in Bundle #2 when it releases).

The mobile versions feature Mustang as the "Free" table of the month, in addition to the always-free Frankenstein. Yay!

There is a known bug on iOS - if you get a High Score you will not be able to enter your intials or leave the screen and will be stuck there. You'll need to wait aboutb2-3 minutes for it to time out or force-close the app.

There are other myriad bugs, such as the lighting on Mustang not working properly. The UI is a mess and options are limited.

Still, game plays well.

Also, in the wee hours of the morn, Gladiators and Dr. Who: Master of Time released on iOS, Google Play and Steam.

Dr. Who MoT looks pretty nice, much better than anticipated. There seems to be a pricing error, though (at least on iOS). The description says you can buy the Standard version for $9.99 but it also says the Pro + Standard version is $9.99 and that it is a 20% savings. What's more, only the button to buy the Pro version appears.

Still, that's FIVE new pinball tables for iOS, Android and Steam dropped off just in time for Chriatmas!

Vyse24

Watching the DW:MoT trailer. Why is the goal alert message the old version? Is it still that way on mobile or...?

Also, Day 10 is SPA is out on Steam and iOS. And we have a new newsletter

myPRPjr.jpg

Al's Garage Band Goes On a World Tour

Shaneus

Stern Pinball Arcade is now on iOS/Mobile/Steam.

Same tables/bundles/pricing as consoles (remember, Ghostbusters will be included in Bundle #2 when it releases).

The mobile versions feature Mustang as the "Free" table of the month, in addition to the always-free Frankenstein. Yay!

There is a known bug with Star Trek on iOS - if you get a High Score you will not be able to enter your intials or leave the screen and will be stuck there. You'll need to force-close the app.

There are other myriad bugs, such as the lighting on Mustang not working properly. The UI is a mess and options are limited.

Still, game plays well.

Also, in the wee hours of the morn, Gladiators and Dr. Who: Master of Time released on iOS, Google Play and Steam.

Dr. Who MoT looks pretty nice, much better than anticipated. There seems to be a pricing error, though (at least on iOS). The description says you can buy the Standard version for $9.99 but it also says the Pro + Standard version is $9.99 and that it is a 20% savings. What's more, only the button to buy the Pro version appears.

Still, that's FIVE new pinball tables for iOS, Android and Steam dropped off just in time for Chriatmas!
Have they added advanced lighting to the iOS version via the Stern iteration at all? Because that'd be the perfect way to have introduced it.

We had it in the earliest of builds, then they dropped it :/

HotHamBoy

Have they added advanced lighting to the iOS version via the Stern iteration at all? Because that'd be the perfect way to have introduced it.

We had it in the earliest of builds, then they dropped it :/

No, there is (almost) no advanced lighting on any of the tables in SPA for mobile. Looks just like mobile TPA.

The old TPA tables are 100% identical and unchanged. I think the few that don't have the 3.0 physics in TPA (RBION, HD3rd, HRC) do now in SPA, but they have been sloooooooowly updating the older tables in TPA, anyway. Phantom of the Opera just got the 3.0 physics a few months ago.

Now, I say (almost) because I did notice on Star Trek that the ball can reflect light off the inserts. The effect is cool but subtle. AC/DC has some subtle ambient lighting around the targets/cannon. But honestly, they pretty much looks the same as mobile TPA.

Shaneus

No, there is (almost) no advanced lighting on any of the tables in SPA for mobile. Looks just like mobile TPA.

The old TPA tables are 100% identical and unchanged. I think the few that don't have the 3.0 physics in TPA (RBION, HD3rd, HRC) do now in SPA, but they have been sloooooooowly updating the older tables in TPA, anyway. Phantom of the Opera just got the 3.0 physics a few months ago.

Now, I say (almost) because I did notice on Star Trek that the ball can reflect light off the inserts. The effect is cool but subtle. AC/DC has some subtle ambient lighting around the targets/cannon. But honestly, they pretty much looks the same as mobile TPA.
Ugh, what a waste. I don't think FS have done much good in maintaining my interest in pinball while I've been too busy to commit to it IRL. They've dropped the ball big time :/

HotHamBoy

Ugh, what a waste. I don't think FS have done much good in maintaining my interest in pinball while I've been too busy to commit to it IRL. They've dropped the ball big time :/

Eh, digital pinball is not really a good substitute for the real thing, anyway. You gotta get out there and play!

If you are cool with Zen's style of tables I think their output this year has been some of their best yet. The new Bethesda pack is so good, especially Doom and Skyrim.

I do think that Stern Pinball Arcade is picking up The Pinball Arcade's slack. Where in TPA we have been getting a lot of Gottlieb Premiere garbage (and next month is an Alvin G table), the new Sterns are all pretty great and really deep. It sucks about it being $10/table but I love having Stern's Star Trek on my iPad and PS4. That table is definitely worth the money. AC/DC, too. Mustang is free this month so no reason not to download it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

:lol

At least KISS is a fun game? I enjoyed what I played of it. Using Sparky from MET is stupid, though.

I still feel like TWD is one of their best "unique" layouts.

E: I haven't played much TPA since getting rid of my Android phone. If I want to get back into it, should I just buy everything I want on Steam or PS4? Looking at both TPA and SPA.

Lettuce

So whats the chances of Spiderman Vault Edition coming to Stern Pinball Arcade, and would they be able to include the playfield and audio from the previous release?....or though licensing issues may stop this?.

Im not even entirely sure how far back in Sterns 'Modern Era' FarSight can go, hopefully stuff like Tron and Avatar would still be possible but i doubt stuff like Pirates of the Caribbean, Family Guy and Ironman would be out of their licensing agreements now!?

HotHamBoy

Aerosmith launched https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/videos/10154881564674244/ along with some batsman 66 gameplay. Personally I think Aerosmith looks better.

Wow, really uninspired playfields just lazily borrowing from their previous games.

Batman 66 is a much more appealing theme for me than shitty Aerosmith, though.

Edit: Holy shit, Aerosmith is a fugly game. That backglass art sucks and the LCD animations look *terrible*

So whats the chances of Spiderman Vault Edition coming to Stern Pinball Arcade, and would they be able to include the playfield and audio from the previous release?....or though licensing issues may stop this?.

Im not even entirely sure how far back in Sterns 'Modern Era' FarSight can go, hopefully stuff like Tron and Avatar would still be possible but i doubt stuff like Pirates of the Caribbean, Family Guy and Ironman would be out of their licensing agreements now!?

Vault Edition Spider-Man has good chances, Sony Spider-Man has zero chances. Iron Man is right on the edge, I think, so anything before that is pretty unlikely unless it's unlicensed.

Shaneus

Wow, really uninspired playfields just lazily borrowing from their previous games.

Batman 66 is a much more appealing theme for me than shitty Aerosmith, though.

Edit: Holy shit, Aerosmith is a fugly game. That backglass art sucks and the LCD animations look *terrible*
Have you seen John Borg's designs? He's never done an original, unique layout... closest is maybe TWD.

He's the EA Sports of pinball design.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
No offense to anyone but how many people are really that much into Aerosmith nowadays? I guess the music ones typically make bank for them, but I thought Kiss underperformed. And it seems like the market for Aerosmith is way smaller thank for Kiss. Doesn't really seem to have much appeal as a game on location either. /shruggie

I do think Batman 66 looks cool.

FyreWulff

No offense to anyone but how many people are really that much into Aerosmith nowadays? I guess the music ones typically make bank for them, but I thought Kiss underperformed. And it seems like the market for Aerosmith is way smaller thank for Kiss. Doesn't really seem to have much appeal as a game on location either. /shruggie

Aerosmith is making a current marketing push because they're about to go another tour. They also just released a bunch of songs for Rock Band.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I guess I'm not understanding the point of Pabst Blue Ribbon Can Crusher. Why in the world would anybody pay $6400 for an archaic playfield design?

Blu10

I guess I'm not understanding the point of Pabst Blue Ribbon Can Crusher. Why in the world would anybody pay $6400 for an archaic playfield design?

I actually like that game. It emulates the older 60s/70s games, but I wouldn't have to deal with fixing portion of it. With that said, it is way overpriced. If it was priced like the Spider-Man "home" version I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

HotHamBoy

It's a reskin of Woah Nellie! Big Juicy Melons.

It's a shitty game and that has nothing to do with the old school design. No one should buy it.

I'm upset that they are putting that trash in SPA which means waiting longer for a good table.

Pinball is dominated by middle-aged white men.

I've been playing Zaccaria Pinball recently. I know the physics are totally off and the tables don't hold a candle to Pinball Arcade... but I love all the different game modes where they give you different timed objectives to do. I wish The Pinball Arcade had those modes too.
I know the tables already have objectives of their own but I just think it's interesting and fun.

Top Bottom