• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Triz

They definitely screwed up. I used to buy all the tables on PS3 for Pinball Arcade, and I'd usually buy them on iOS as well. Then when the eventual sale happened on Steam, I'd buy them again. Yeah I'm a sucker, or was..

When PS4 launched and they didn't do cross buy with that, I was out.. everywhere.

preach on Brother.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Haven't played any of these farsight games in forever...have flight tomorrow so d/l stern pa on iPad (Air 2) and try to buy AC/DC pack and it just crashes every time. Wow.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Haven't played any of these farsight games in forever...have flight tomorrow so d/l stern pa on iPad (Air 2) and try to buy AC/DC pack and it just crashes every time. Wow.

I play Stern Pinball Arcade on Steam, but the graphics are pretty badly letterboxed, with huge black bars. I can't seem to get it to go to full screen for some reason... :-/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I play Stern Pinball Arcade on Steam, but the graphics are pretty badly letterboxed, with huge black bars. I can't seem to get it to go to full screen for some reason... :-/
Did they change how they do the DMDs too? Looks smoothed out like my least-preferred ColorDMD settings.

HotHamBoy

Yeah, it's a bug they don't seem to want to fix.

I suggest buying the bundle that has Star Trek and AC/DC plus some of the older tables. Star Trek is the better game :)

Holy wow - that's awesome! Such an amazing table...

I love that table and I love Pat Lawlor yet it's one of the few classics I've never encountered IRL (Arabian Nights being another).

Shaneus

I love that table and I love Pat Lawlor yet it's one of the few classics I've never encountered IRL (Arabian Nights being another).
I initially only got it because a friend who won a comp gave me the tip "buy a Stern", and this was the first affordable one that came up.

Pretty sure if be paying close to a grand or two more to find one in as good (HUO) condition. And I happen to love it. Thankfully, is from that era when Stern still put money into their machines, before they started cheaping out (see: "pro" machines).

Vyse24

New newsletter and the last table of Pack #6

march_2017_hint.jpg

Swords of Fury

Man, there's a The Shadow pinball machine at the local barcade and it's got a Sigma ColorDMD on it and it's set up for upscaling. So ugly, no dots, instead has a filter that looks like SuperSAI. I didn't know this was a thing. Does anybody like this?

IUZaF4r.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Man, there's a The Shadow pinball machine at the local barcade and it's got a Sigma ColorDMD on it and it's set up for upscaling. So ugly, no dots, instead has a filter that looks like SuperSAI. I didn't know this was a thing. Does anybody like this?

IUZaF4r.jpg

I feel like most people who own ColorDMDs put it on the no-dots setting, but personally I don't like it at all. I actually use the big-dots setting iirc, as it looks the most DMD-like and actually really nice. The smoothing and high-res just looks like shit imo. Just get an LCD machine if that's what you're going for. ymmv :p

Damn it's gonna probably be forever until GB comes out...will definitely breathe new life into my machine though when it does (which by then it might need! :p).

Shaneus

I've seen waaaaay too many DMDs with the 2xSai thing going on, it's a shame.
That's why I'll be getting an LED ColorDMD for Ripley's (when I can afford it).

Edit: I'll say that there are some games that kinda look good with the dot smoothing (like cartoon ones) but do they look better than with dots? Absolutely not.

Also, played Batman '66 the other day and was really quite underwhelmed by it. The LCD is kinda cool, but for some reason it makes the machine look like a modern-day slot machine than a pinball machine. And playing it? Somehow feels a cheaper than a lot of their other newer titles, and I don't recall there being a single shot that felt good to hit. This is comparing it to games like GoT, Mustang, Kiss... games I'm not particularly enamored with, but still felt higher quality and more fun to shoot on.

AlexMogil

So yeah, the Xbox version got updated today, and none of the season six tables are playable, because the software says the Xbox store is unreachable at this time. Farsight says they are looking into it.

A year and a half.

FyreWulff

So checking in after a while.. the fuck happened to this game? It looked like they got on a roll, and then suddenly a bunch of the different versions went into limbo and now they also have a separate rebranded app with repeat tables? da fuk?

Shaneus

Some announcements from Texas Pinball Festival this year:
Spooky's next title is Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle
Cassandra Peterson, Denis Nordman and Greg Freres were on stage to announce a new Elvira game. Produced by Stern.

Bit disappointed to hear Stern (and not Spooky) are doing the new Elvira pin. Having played Batman 66 and being quite disappointed by it (display was nice, but the playfield itself actually felt a little cheaper than other new Sterns I've played) it sucks Elvira won't get a "built like a brick shithouse"-level of quality like the first two games did.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Cassandra Peterson, Denis Nordman and Greg Freres were on stage to announce a new Elvira game. Produced by Stern.

Bit disappointed to hear Stern (and not Spooky) are doing the new Elvira pin. Having played Batman 66 and being quite disappointed by it (display was nice, but the playfield itself actually felt a little cheaper than other new Sterns I've played) it sucks Elvira won't get a "built like a brick shithouse"-level of quality like the first two games did.

Do you have a link to the Elvira stuff?

Also, SoF is out on iOS. I love this table so much...

Shaneus

Do you have a link to the Elvira stuff?

Also, SoF is out on iOS. I love this table so much...
It was just via Pinside, don't really have a link handy (but the thread is one started by Dennis Nordman four years ago, asking if people would be interested in a new Elvira pin!).

I love SoF too, never really played the game much but fucking love the music. Might almost like it better than BK2K, despite it being the same composer.

HotHamBoy

Other announcements from TX PinFest:

ATTACK FROM MARS REMAKE!!! From Chicago Gaming!

Attack-from-Mars-Remake.jpg

Houdini revealed from American Pinball!!

C7xScMUVMAACUm5.jpg-large.jpg

C7xSfPnVQAAFa3m.jpg-large.jpg

Dennis Nordman's Zombie Baseball, a new Bat & Pitch from his new company Gizmo!!

8cb2b0aad3b9a05610d7c16aa873b1c068871d2a.jpg

3fde486c9c9766dc83979c9ca34c52c3450666c4.jpg

5d0dd521f86b7d78dc8417a1ecf5f1a5ca23bb8c.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Awww man that's so slick. I love bat and pitch. I mean too shallow for home but definitely looking forward to trying it out at CA Extreme at some point.

HotHamBoy

Are they your photos?

They all look pretty good, was Houdini flipping? And did AfM feel comparable to the original?

I wasn't there, sadly. The pics are swiped from Pinside.

Wait what!!, whats the deal with AFM????

It's the same company that did the Medieval Madness reproduction. I've played both original and repro MM and they play identical so I expect the same for AFM. MM remake featured some enhancements to the castle and the DMD was in color.

Here's some details on the 3 versions of the AFM Remake:

- Classic Edition: Faithful to the original. Standard sized score Color LCD score display, that can be set to any single color, can be upgraded to Full Color High Resolution Graphics for additional cost. All LED lighting throughout machine. Enhanced sound system. Stainless steel cabinet trim.
Shaker motor can be added at additional cost.
Includes 6 month electronics warranty & 3 month mechanical warranty.
- Special Edition: Extra Large Color LCD Display including Full Color High Resolution Graphics, Metallic Saucers, Tri-color LED on main saucer, stainless steel cabinet trim. Multicolored backbox speakers. Shaker Motor included.
Includes 12 month electronics warranty & 6 month mechanical warranty
- Limited Edition (1000 units)
Extra Large Color LCD Display including Full Color High Resolution Graphics, Metallic Saucers, Tri-color LEDs on all saucers, Martian Green cabinet trim. Cabinet mirror blades. Multicolored backbox speakers. Shaker Motor included. Custom designed Interactive mechanical Martian topper designed by Doug Watson. Martian moves up and down. His eyes light up and multicolored Leds around topper.
Includes 24 month electronics warranty & 12 month mechanical warranty.

a9487bd6185904e313728f179ca96acfb09285d2.jpg

36ca89ce37e14defff1a17cdcac68f2f4bf931df.jpg

ced38c5f77461b149d7cc052e7c6089684c0c1f1.jpg

6f5fcf6e51153b45885410d86c10d09a686c7a9c.jpg

Shaneus

I like the extra large display (and the regular one) but why do they have to go LCD all the time? I despise the look of simulated dots on an LCD, they're nowhere near as vibrant :/

When I finally get my ColorDMD for Ripley's, it will certainly be the LED one.

Edit: Otherwise, that games looks damn slick. It's one I wouldn't mind having (but I still don't understand everyone's adoration for it, but whatevs).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I like the extra large display (and the regular one) but why do they have to go LCD all the time? I despise the look of simulated dots on an LCD, they're nowhere near as vibrant :/

When I finally get my ColorDMD for Ripley's, it will certainly be the LED one.

Edit: Otherwise, that games looks damn slick. It's one I wouldn't mind having (but I still don't understand everyone's adoration for it, but whatevs).

I think the silly sci-fi theme elevates the gameplay for me. The game does play well, too...But the theme sells it. It has to. Because people act like this game is the second coming, but there are better games out there IMHO. The thing I don't understand is why it's such a huge tournament game - I'd like to know what about the layout and scoring makes it such a shoe-in in every major event.

Zaccaria Pinball is adding a table creator mode soon:

Pinball Editor is coming

That is interesting. I like the modes and UI of this game better than Pinball Arcade but always found the tables a bit flat. This could make for some interesting tables. They still need to fine tune the physics a lot too.
Either way, I just like having more pinball games to play.

Lettuce

It's the same company that did the Medieval Madness reproduction. I've played both original and repro MM and they play identical so I expect the same for AFM. MM remake featured some enhancements to the castle and the DMD was in color.

Here's some details on the 3 versions of the AFM Remake

Damn that looks nice, what prices are these coming in at and any supply coming to Europe/UK??

Lettuce

Pinball Editor is coming

That is interesting. I like the modes and UI of this game better than Pinball Arcade but always found the tables a bit flat. This could make for some interesting tables. They still need to fine tune the physics a lot too.

Hmmm, im guess these will be locked to the more simplistic table design on the late 70s early 80's then?

Shaneus

Damn that looks nice, what prices are these coming in at and any supply coming to Europe/UK??
Prices here in Australia look to be around the price of an LE Stern, possibly a little cheaper. So use that as your yardstick, I guess?

Pinball Editor is coming

I remember backing a Kickstarter to make a GUI-based pinball creator. Even if it's fairly basic, I'd love something like that. I haven't actually bought Zaccaria on Steam but this will tip me over the edge. Hopefully there's a sale!

I remember backing a Kickstarter to make a GUI-based pinball creator. Even if it's fairly basic, I'd love something like that. I haven't actually bought Zaccaria on Steam but this will tip me over the edge. Hopefully there's a sale!

Honestly, it's a fun little game. I don't want to push it too hard here because it doesn't even come close to Pinball Arcade or Zen but there is some interesting charm with it. Definitely worth it on a sale

Shaneus

PAPA 20 A Thursday qualifying live here. Shoutout to my good friends Martin and Jordan who are currently doing pretty well in B qualifying, all the way from Australia.

Jordan himself is only 16 or something. It's crazy (and a bit bullshit someone so young is so good, TBH ;) ).

Vyse24

1gQlsJE.jpg

First time playing this in a long time and I wind up doing that. Biggest wizard goal get for me since Battle for the Kingdom.

Shaneus

I saw that! The trophy is almost as big as him. It's pretty awesome. It also looked like some teenagers took C and D as well.
Don't forget the 16 year old who won B. Travelled all the way from Australia, first time at a US tournament (first time in the US ever) and is a good mate of mine.

Those sweet WOPR points are going to be yuuuuge.

Edit: I love that in the time Josh Sharpe (head of the IFPA) has been trying to win PAPA, Adam Lefkoff managed to have a child that won it. Crazy.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Seems like the wave of the future. Kids have better reflexes and previously were pretty much only missing the expertise and specialized knowledge to utilize them against older players. Now that's gone and this stuff is universally accessible so with a level playing field oldos have little chance as long as a few parents are cool with their kids spending tons of time getting good at pinball (which is cooler and probably healthier than getting good at CoD imo?).

Shaneus

Fuck it, I'm posting this here:
Tuxedo - 2nd Time Around

Funny watching this video on the local (Australian) video clip show with my wife in the morning. She starts off "Don't get excited, I bet they're only showing pinball at the start". Then "it'll cut away from it soon enough". Then "those girls aren't even playing pinball" (I point out a few seconds later in an overhead shot that they're clearly playing).

My wife also groaned when I pointed out the bubbling of the mylar over the inserts on Funhouse when they did the close-up. lols

HotHamBoy

Fuck it, I'm posting this here:
Tuxedo - 2nd Time Around

Funny watching this video on the local (Australian) video clip show with my wife in the morning. She starts off "Don't get excited, I bet they're only showing pinball at the start". Then "it'll cut away from it soon enough". Then "those girls aren't even playing pinball" (I point out a few seconds later in an overhead shot that they're clearly playing).

My wife also groaned when I pointed out the bubbling of the mylar over the inserts on Funhouse when they did the close-up. lols

I already liked the song but that video is orgasmic.

Top Bottom