• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Minsc

Gold Member
Valve's approval process is getting too subjective these days. Maybe the devs should submit a build with some Steamworks integrated features (ahievements, leaderboards, etc.) or wait until it has gained some recognition from XBLA/PSN. Valve seems to really like that.

I bet Zen Pinball/Pinball FX would get approved...

From the looks of it, it's being included with Windows 8, as part of the Windows (Xbox?) Live games for Windows 8. Said to not be exclusive to Windows 8 though, so good news if you wanted to see the FX2 games on PC.

J0dy77

I need new tables or at least more information about the tables... cant' wait for Attack from Mars.

I've only played the demo of Black Hole and Ripley's... didn't feel like they were worth the cost of the tables? Anyone vouch for either?

Shaneus

Black Hole's great for the secondary reverse playfield! I love that, but I usually prefer the older, non-DMD tables for pure gameplay.

Valve's approval process is getting too subjective these days. Maybe the devs should submit a build with some Steamworks integrated features (ahievements, leaderboards, etc.) or wait until it has gained some recognition from XBLA/PSN. Valve seems to really like that.

I bet Zen Pinball/Pinball FX would get approved...

We submitted it last year and it got rejected.

Shaneus

Most recent comment nailed it: They need to fix the DMD! It should really only be solid colours on the iOS 3GS, everything else has the res to handle actual dots for the DMD.

Minsc

Gold Member
Those holding out for the 3DS version will need to set their expectations back a bit, maybe in line with the PC release:

The Pinball Arcade: We need to optimize our ROM emulation for the game to run at an acceptable framerate on 3DS. We think that it's feasible, but we won't be launching on 3DS or planning our pricing until we solve this issue first.

No eta mentioned, hopefully they optimize it to run well, an all-in-one 3D capable system with 2 display is ideal for pinball!

So that leaves us now with just the XBLA / PSN versions releasing at the end of the month now, I think.

Does anybody else find the ball physics on iOS to be unrealistic? I played Williams Collection on 3DS and the ball physics were close to perfect. (Maybe it's my crappy iPad 1)

(Haven't kept up with this thread so preemptive apologies if this has been discussed before).

Shearie

Does anybody else find the ball physics on iOS to be unrealistic? I played Williams Collection on 3DS and the ball physics were close to perfect. (Maybe it's my crappy iPad 1) (Haven't kept up with this thread so preemptive apologies if this has been discussed before).

They feel like the most realistic (and also most enjoyable) physics of any video pinball game I've ever played, but I've never played any of Farsight's previous pinball games.

Luigiv

What's rom emulation in this case?

Given the wording, I assume it's their "cheat" for getting all the tables to run on so many platforms all at once. They probably package each table as a configurable, platform agnostic rom and use a virtual machine programed for each system to run it. Such an implementation would save them from having to individually port every table for every platform and allow them to skip straight to QA and optimisation. Mind you that's all speculation so don't quote me on this.

Anyway it's a shame they're having issues but I'm glad they're not rushing it. I tried out the Android demo version earlier today. Seems like a great simulator but after playing Zen Pinball 3D, I don't think I can ever play virtual pinball without the effect again. Having such a clear distinction between mechanisms and art decal is such an incredible boon.

Going from Youtube footage, Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection on 3DS doesn't look bad at all. Hopefully Farsight can at least match that level when they're done optimising.

Edit:
Probably the score counter screen (hah I don't remember what's the official name for it).

Or that. Makes a lot more sense than my crazy theory.

Minsc

Gold Member
What's rom emulation in this case?

Looking at their comments about the cause for slowdown on some systems for Ripley's Believe it or Not:

"The Whitestar chipset that the original Ripley's table ran on requires about twice as many cycles per frame to emulate as the WPC chipset used by the other tables."

I think they actually emulate the ROMs used by the table, which control everything the table does. Ripley's table is heavier on the CPU, and as a result it's the only table on my iPhone 4 that doesn't run at 60fps (feels more like 20-30).

Unfortunate as that is, Ripley's still runs better than just about every table from Zen Pinball on my iPhone lol, so at least there's that. Zen's tables seem to really need 4S or iPad 2 level hardware.

So I think they did an incredible job making sure the tables run very smoothly on supported hardware.

Does anybody else find the ball physics on iOS to be unrealistic? I played Williams Collection on 3DS and the ball physics were close to perfect. (Maybe it's my crappy iPad 1)

(Haven't kept up with this thread so preemptive apologies if this has been discussed before).

Most people feel the exact opposite from what I read, that they can't go back to Williams after this. The level of detail is also said to be higher in TPA than Williams (using the recent Medieval Madness trailer as a comparison).

Unrelated but interesting, a big question about their licenses is concerning the Stern license from what I read, and one of the developers had this to say about it:

Bobby King said:
We have the rights to re-create any Stern Electronics, Stern Pinball, Data East, or Sega table assuming that we can also secure any ancillary licenses that are needed. There's no waiting period to simulate the newer tables. In fact, we hope to someday release simultaneously digitally when Stern releases a new mechanical table, but we would need a lot of cooperation on the licensing side and the technical side to pull that off. Emulating the S.A.M. chip set is a technical hurdle. We're currently working with Stern to allow this emulation to be feasible on the current generation of hardware.

So their Stern license is really good from the sound of it, people were expecting it to only cover older tables.

Shaneus

So their Stern license is really good from the sound of it, people were expecting it to only cover older tables.
Not sure if I'm getting wires crossed or not, but going by that statement and their previous one (unless I'm misremembering... I tend to do that a bit) about ancillary licenses being included for all tables (I think that's what they said, at least) does that mean all other existing licensees like Williams, Bally, Gottlieb etc. have all those licenses included? I don't really care for the licenses Stern have used (do for Sega/DE though. Kinda loved Baywatch!) but if that means open slather on tables like STTNG, Addams Family, Twilight Zone and WMS' Indiana Jones... hoooly shit.

I'm pumped for MM coming soon though. Can't remember the date but I'll be getting it as soon as it comes out. Hopefully they fix the DMD display though, it looks kind of arse, even when compared to something like Pinball Dreams on iOS :/

BTW I wouldn't have thought that ROM emulation of *any* table would be incredibly taxing, though I don't know exactly what's behind the Whitestar chipset. Unless they're really pushing the systems they're publishing on, I wouldn't have thought it'd be an issue... unless they decided to emulate P2K.

wsippel

Banned
Unfortunate as that is, Ripley's still runs better than just about every table from Zen Pinball on my iPhone lol, so at least there's that. Zen's tables seem to really need 4S or iPad 2 level hardware.
Interesting, considering Zen Pinball runs really, really smooth on 3DS, with AA even in 3D and all. I guess TPA is CPU bound (due to the emulator), whereas Zen Pinball is mostly GPU bound.

Luigiv

BTW I wouldn't have thought that ROM emulation of *any* table would be incredibly taxing, though I don't know exactly what's behind the Whitestar chipset. Unless they're really pushing the systems they're publishing on, I wouldn't have thought it'd be an issue... unless they decided to emulate P2K.

Well this is what's inside the Ripley table.

Code:
Stern Whitestar II

Main CPU : M6809 (@ 2 MHz)
Sound CPU : Atmel AT91 (@ 40 MHz)
Display CPU : M6809 (@ 4 MHz)
Sound chip : DMA-driven DAC

Given that the 3DS's CPU is only 268MHz and of a completely different architecture, I'd imagine there could be some difficulties with emulating that Sound CPU.

Edit: Actually, my bad, the Atmel AT91 is ARM architecture based meaning it doesn't actually need to be emulated. I guess it's those Motoralla CPU's for the logic and display that's giving them trouble given that they need to share the CPU with the physics engine and everything else.

Shaneus

I was thinking more the iPhone, though... the 4 should have less of a struggle than the 3DS. But I hadn't actually contemplated the sound and display CPUs. I would think that the main CPU just passes instructions to them and rather than doing that, it would just pass that info to whatever interpreter they have setup rather than an actual emulation of those specific CPUs.

Actually, I think that's pretty much the definition of emulation. Whoops! I just love nerding out on pinball stuff, don't mind me ;)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wouldn't it make sense to replicate the behaviour on their own software instead of emulate the original which is bound to be slower then? Blinking lights, score boards, and activating objects here and there doesn't strike me as something that would be processor intensive these days, only the ball physics seem tough to do... But I don't know what I'm talking about >_>

Luigiv

Wouldn't it make sense to replicate the behaviour on their own software instead of emulate the original which is bound to be slower then? Blinking lights, score boards, and activating objects here and there doesn't strike me as something that would be processor intensive these days, only the ball physics seem tough to do...

In a way, yes, but realistically, unless they have direct access to the source code of all the machines then emulation is far easier, less time consuming and more accurate than reverse engineering.

Triz

They announced on thier facebook today that PS3 and Vita versions are universal. This make me a happy Vita owner. 1 copy = both systems.

Shearie

They announced on thier facebook today that PS3 and Vita versions are universal. This make me a happy Vita owner. 1 copy = both systems.

That is cool. I love this on iOS since I have an iPad and iPhone version for the price of one.

Wouldn't it make sense to replicate the behaviour on their own software instead of emulate the original which is bound to be slower then? Blinking lights, score boards, and activating objects here and there doesn't strike me as something that would be processor intensive these days, only the ball physics seem tough to do... But I don't know what I'm talking about >_>

Coding a table's logic from scratch is infinitely more difficult than tossing existing code into an (accurate) emulator.

Wait a second...they are talking about dlc tables only, you need to buy the "core" game in both systems, and then, if you buy a dlc table, it works for both

http://www.facebook.com/pinballarcade

We are happy to announce that any Pinball Arcade tables purchased in our upcoming PlayStation3 version will be portable to the PS Vita version (and visa-versa). That means you'll only have to buy tables once to play them on both systems!

It´s pretty nice anyway

Minsc

Gold Member
Wait a second...they are talking about dlc tables only, you need to buy the "core" game in both systems, and then, if you buy a dlc table, it works for both

http://www.facebook.com/pinballarcade

It´s pretty nice anyway

They clarified:

The Pinball Arcade: To clarify, this will be true for purchase of both the game and additional tables- you'll only pay once for either.

The Pinball Arcade: The PlayStation3 and Vita games are very different- it's just the purchases that are the same.

No need to re-buy the core set on Vita/PS3. They should really offer a free base, like Pinball FX2 though, imo.

I wonder why they're "very different" though...

I will not complain if they give me the another version for free lol, but yeah, they should let you download just one limited table or trial for free, and then, you buy whatever table you like

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm not sure if this video was posted yet, of The Addams Family multi-ball, but the lighting is just so great.

I hope eventually they have a dimly-light option for the environments, that shows off lighting effects a bit more like in that video above. I also think that an Addams Family DLC table would sell more than any other pinball DLC or core game to date if it is released. :)

Shiv47

Addams Family is a great table. I'll be curious to see if they can clear all the licenses without it being too expensive. I was talking about this with a friend, and the question came up of, given Addams Family's massive popularity among pinball fans, would you pay a premium above Farsight's stated top tier DL price to get it? I remember Farsight saying DL tables would range in price from $2-$5 or thereabouts; if Addams priced out at, say, $7-$8, would you still get it?

jvm

Gamasutra.
I remember Farsight saying DL tables would range in price from $2-$5 or thereabouts; if Addams priced out at, say, $7-$8, would you still get it?
Fact: I will buy a well-made Farsight conversion of Addams Family for $20.

That's right. $20 FRICKING DOLLARS.

Please don't make me go higher....please.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Fact: I will buy a well-made Farsight conversion of Addams Family for $20.

That's right. $20 FRICKING DOLLARS.

Please don't make me go higher....please.

Same here.

On a side note, I really hope they manage to license Indiana Jones. That game was fantastic.

Maybe they could coordinate it with the blu-ray release later this year.

vg260

Wow. Universal PS3/Vita purchases are awesome. Vita version for sure, but still might double/triple dip on 360 and/or pc.

Just give me Cue Ball Wizard. The Microsoft Pinball version was heartbreaking.

Minsc

Gold Member
Any info if the Vita version supports "Pivot" function?
Holding the Vita vertical

Portrait mode will be supported on Vita. They say it's possible on 360/PS3, but won't be in for launch. This is their response to a general inquiry on their FB:

Can you share anything about the PS Vita version at all ?...I was wondering if you will be using the buttons primarily or touch screen for flippers....and will the touch area on the back be used ?

The Pinball Arcade: We're supporting options to use the front touch similar to the mobile version or the buttons. The back touch can be used for nudging. We're supporting portrait and landscape gameplay - although, there really isn't a good button combination for activating the flippers in portrait so the front touch becomes is the primary input.

FoxSpirit

Oh yeah, PS3 version, here I come.

I played the hell out of Arabian Nights in Kathmandu on my SGS-II. Too bad the internal downloader couldn't handle the slow, unstable connection, contrary to the market one. So only once I was already back in Dubai transit I got the other tables. And man, Theater of Magic is great, would have loved to have that during the trip.

Can't wait for the PS3 version, should be awesome.

AMUSIX

So with all the info filtering into this thread through different channels, I put the two most direct paths to the developers in the OT. If there's something I missed, let me know.
Farsight don't host a forum themselves, but they do interact with the community through two sources. The official source is the game's Facebook Page, and the unofficial source is through the Pinball Arcade Fans forum.

Figure I'll request a title change to indicate when the console versions are released (they've been sent to MS and Sony for approval). Should I do this for the Mac and PC versions? Seems like the Mac version will hit possibly next week, but the PC version is having a bit of trouble finding a delivery channel.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Yes, I can confirm this and I stated the same a few times before on various threads iirc.
I LOVE Farsight Studios' work but PA on iPAD 1 is a letdown so far, physics are indeed busted and it's unbelievable when you consider how incredibly good they've always been with their engine on a multitude of platforms.
Zen Pinball is awful as well on iPad 1, especially when compared with the 3DS version.
Pinball HD is, for the time being, the best pinball "platform" to hit the appstore so far if you've got an iPad1.

Yes, I can confirm this and I stated the same a few times before on various threads iirc.
I LOVE Farsight Studios' work but PA on iPAD 1 is a letdown so far, physics are indeed busted and it's unbelievable when you consider how incredibly good they've always been with their engine on a multitude of platforms.
Zen Pinball is awful as well on iPad 1, especially when compared with the 3DS version.
Pinball HD is, for the time being, the best pinball "platform" to hit the appstore so far if you've got an iPad1.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll wait for the Vita version before I get the other tables. I found Pinball Fantasies to run okay on my iPad, but that's an Amiga game really and most of the tables are bland by today's standards.

Shearie

I just tried Pinball HD for comparison's sake and you are insane to recommend that over Pinball Arcade. The physics and especially the quality of the tables of PA is much better than PHD. Anyone can try out both games for free to see for themselves. The only thing I can maybe concede is that there might be some horrible slowdown on the iPad 1 when playing PA which I wouldn't know since I play it on the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S.

Shaneus

I'm not sure if this video was posted yet, of The Addams Family multi-ball, but the lighting is just so great.

I hope eventually they have a dimly-light option for the environments, that shows off lighting effects a bit more like in that video above. I also think that an Addams Family DLC table would sell more than any other pinball DLC or core game to date if it is released. :)
Kinda makes you wonder why it was the highest selling table of all time, eh? ;)

Minsc

Gold Member
So with all the info filtering into this thread through different channels, I put the two most direct paths to the developers in the OT. If there's something I missed, let me know.

Figure I'll request a title change to indicate when the console versions are released (they've been sent to MS and Sony for approval). Should I do this for the Mac and PC versions? Seems like the Mac version will hit possibly next week, but the PC version is having a bit of trouble finding a delivery channel.

You shouldn't have to request any updates (but feel free anyway), I'll notice any releases pretty fast! :)

Where did you see the info on the Mac release anyway? That's good news... I just figured both were delayed until June-ish, but if the issue was with Steam and they weren't planning on using Steam for the Mac release (shame since it'd be buy on Steam, run on PC/Mac), it makes sense the delay wouldn't hit Macs.

I just tried Pinball HD for comparison's sake and you are insane to recommend that over Pinball Arcade. The physics and especially the quality of the tables of PA is much better than PHD. Anyone can try out both games for free to see for themselves. The only thing I can maybe concede is that there might be some horrible slowdown on the iPad 1 when playing PA which I wouldn't know since I play it on the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S.

I agree with you, and I'm on an iPhone 4. Except for Ripley's, the rest of the tables are the best pinball I've seen on iOS so far. There's rumor of the Pro Pinball games being ported, if that happens, Timeshock! might take the throne.

Top Bottom