• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shearie

I agree with you, and I'm on an iPhone 4. Except for Ripley's, the rest of the tables are the best pinball I've seen on iOS so far. There's rumor of the Pro Pinball games being ported, if that happens, Timeshock! might take the throne.

I've heard of the Pro Pinball games for years but never played them. They seem to be highly regarded as some of the best video pinball ever made. Always wanted to play them and that's great news if it does get ported to iOS.

Minsc

Gold Member
Figure I'll request a title change to indicate when the console versions are released (they've been sent to MS and Sony for approval). Should I do this for the Mac and PC versions? Seems like the Mac version will hit possibly next week, but the PC version is having a bit of trouble finding a delivery channel.

In regards to my questioning this earlier, I found info confirming this from their facebook:

How's the Mac version shaping up?

The Pinball Arcade: We were playing it today. It is AWESOME! Our submission to Apple will happen very soon.

That does sound possible for next week as you say, good news for Mac users. I wonder if they're releasing it on the Mac App store? Sounds like it. I moved the 3DS/PC release dates to unknown since March is most likely not happening, hope you don't mind! :p

Agent X

Quoting from post #280 in this thread:

We are happy to announce that any Pinball Arcade tables purchased in our upcoming PlayStation3 version will be portable to the PS Vita version (and visa-versa). That means you'll only have to buy tables once to play them on both systems!

Awesome news! I'll buy the game engine on both systems, and happily buy DLC tables to use on both as well.

Does anyone know if PS3 & PS Vita online scoreboards are combined for both systems? MotorStorm RC currently has a combined online scoreboard, so it should be technically possible.

Minsc

Gold Member
Quoting from post #280 in this thread:

Awesome news! I'll buy the game engine on both systems, and happily buy DLC tables to use on both as well.

Does anyone know if PS3 & PS Vita online scoreboards are combined for both systems? MotorStorm RC currently has a combined online scoreboard, so it should be technically possible.

You should have a look at post 282 as well. :) Not sure about scoreboards, they will have the facebook scoreboards that are all the platforms combined, and probably combine the PS3/Vita scoreboards since they share purchases like on iOS, but I guess it could go either way.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I just tried Pinball HD for comparison's sake and you are insane to recommend that over Pinball Arcade. The physics and especially the quality of the tables of PA is much better than PHD. Anyone can try out both games for free to see for themselves. The only thing I can maybe concede is that there might be some horrible slowdown on the iPad 1 when playing PA which I wouldn't know since I play it on the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S.

So you're commenting on something you know nothing about and telling me I'm crazy, 'mmmmkay.
I'm one of Farsight Studios' biggest supporters (post history is there to prove it) and I'm not crazy enough to say that Pinball HD, especially the base selection, has tables good enough to be compared with Williams/Gottlieb tables (have you tried the War/Platoon and Slayer tables by the way? Those are pretty good.) Again, it looks you know zilch about pinball games on the various platforms honestly, I'm the happiest man when I look at the selection/possible iAp tables for PA but all of that goes to the shitter when Farsight's signature godly physics are busted up on iPad 1 and performance is SHIT.
Same goes for Zen Pinball, awful, awful game on iPad 1 while it's pretty great on 3DS (unfortunately, while I like the game, I'm a pinball sim kind of person and I grew up playing real tables, plus Williams/Gottlieb collections spoiled me with they astounding physics.
On iPad 2, iPhone4/4s it is a different matter.

FatBaby

God, I wish Valve would stop being so stubborn about this. I really wish I knew what their reasoning for it is other than "users don't seem to be interested." Is there some sort of financial reason for Valve NOT to put it on Steam?

It seems like it has everything Valve would want in a game anyway. Leader boards, DLC tables, achievements, etc.

Minsc

Gold Member
God, I wish Valve would stop being so stubborn about this. I really wish I knew what their reasoning for it is other than "users don't seem to be interested." Is there some sort of financial reason for Valve NOT to put it on Steam?

It seems like it has everything Valve would want in a game anyway. Leader boards, DLC tables, achievements, etc.

I'm not sure Valve even knows what their reason is!

Shearie

So you're commenting on something you know nothing about and telling me I'm crazy, 'mmmmkay.
I'm one of Farsight Studios' biggest supporters (post history is there to prove it) and I'm not crazy enough to say that Pinball HD, especially the base selection, has tables good enough to be compared with Williams/Gottlieb tables (have you tried the War/Platoon and Slayer tables by the way? Those are pretty good.) Again, it looks you know zilch about pinball games on the various platforms honestly, I'm the happiest man when I look at the selection/possible iAp tables for PA but all of that goes to the shitter when Farsight's signature godly physics are busted up on iPad 1 and performance is SHIT.
Same goes for Zen Pinball, awful, awful game on iPad 1 while it's pretty great on 3DS (unfortunately, while I like the game, I'm a pinball sim kind of person and I grew up playing real tables, plus Williams/Gottlieb collections spoiled me with they astounding physics.
On iPad 2, iPhone4/4s it is a different matter.

That's nice. Didn't know my post was gonna hurt your feelings so much and I appreciate you pulling rank on me for my pinball knowledge. I needed to be put in my place. :)

There is no reason for me to argue about this since anybody can try out both games for free and come to their own conclusions. I still think you're goddamn insane to recommend PHD over PA and I don't care if you invented pinball. It's your opinion though and I don't hate on you for it.

Baron

blahblahblah busted up on iPad 1 and performance is SHIT
blahblahblah awful, awful game on iPad 1 while it's pretty great on [other platforms]

So...a game is released that plays poorly on 3-generation removed Apple hardware? Sucks to be one of those people with an iPad 1 who wants to play pinball, but don't hold it against the developer. I couldn't play the Cave shooters on my older ipod touch at all - at least the pinball games bootup and can be played, period. Direct your wrath towards Apple's yearly hardware refreshes.

Dash Kappei

Shearie said:
That's nice. Didn't know my post was gonna hurt your feelings so much and I appreciate you pulling rank on me for my pinball knowledge. I needed to be put in my place. :)

There is no reason for me to argue about this since anybody can try out both games for free and come to their own conclusions. I still think you're goddamn insane to recommend PHD over PA and I don't care if you invented pinball. It's your opinion though and I don't hate on you for it.

Exactly, there is no reason for you to argue over something you've never even played nor know anything about. Instead of calling people crazy you should maybe educate yourself better before running wild with the name calling.
Para Bailar la Bomba wrote his post asking if the busted physics maybe were because of his iPad 1, I confirmed that I and a good bunch of other people experienced the same thing and you started your blabbering while confirming to never even have tried the goddamn thing.
Also, there's no free version of Pinball HD's Slayers/War/etc. Which are on a whole other level than the simplicistic free sample, they've come a looong way since the release of the original 3 tables. Having said that, you can definitely compare the physics and performance of the two games, and which of the two gives a more cohesive experience on iPad 1 with the free sample.

So...a game is released that plays poorly on 3-generation removed Apple hardware? Sucks to be one of those people with an iPad 1 who wants to play pinball, but don't hold it against the developer. I couldn't play the Cave shooters on my older ipod touch at all - at least the pinball games bootup and can be played, period. Direct your wrath towards Apple's yearly hardware refreshes.

Wrath? Are you drunk mate?
I don't hold it against the developer at all. They probably had to make that choice to release it before Zen Pinball gained more popularity (there shouldn't be such fear in the first place since Zen Pinball also runs terribly on iPad 1 while being the worse game of the two -to be fair tho, Zen Pinball on 3DS is very good-) and now they're prioritizing DLC content instead of updating the app and optimizing it a bit for first generation iPads: nothing is lost since soon the iPad 1 will be an ancient tablet, I'm happy they've released PA and recommend the game dearly to anyone who's not stuck with an iPad 1 or think of upgrading in the future.
It's also true that the game runs poorly and looses the dev's pedigree (exceptional physics engine+rock solid framerate) when played on iPad 1 devices, which is all I've ever stated, nothing else.

Cave games example is not fitting. There's an hardware limitation (ram) in that case, what we have here is just a lack of optimization.

P.S.
I also have an iPad 2. Yeah.

Anyway, sucks the PC version has been postponed, I don't care about Steam so that wouldn't make a difference to me. What's gonna be hard for me is to resist dipoing on the PSN/XBLA version. Knowing that a PC release is happening I don't want to build up a collection of DLC tables for something we can consider a pinball platform when I could have it with 1080p +AA + my preferred controls method while not having to worry about new consoles coming out soonish and being forced to shelve the old hardware since I know I'll be playing this for a long time; I've bought the Gottlieb Collection at Wii's launch (PAL) and I still play it regularly to this day, love the nunchuck + wiimote combo.

Shearie

Edit: I don't want to continue with this argument anymore. You win Dash! :)

Edit 2: And just to be clear, I want to admit that I was wrong to doubt you Dash. I've never heard any testimonials about this game from people who played it on an iPad 1 except for you and Para but I've heard plenty of people say it plays mostly great on an iPhone 4 and I thought that since they have pretty much the same hardware, why would the iPad 1 version run so much worse than the iPhone 4 version? I completely forgot that the iPad 1 has half the ram than the iPhone 4 so it's entirely understandable that the iPad 1 could be poorly optimized. You've played it on the iPad 1 and I haven't and you seem like a fair and knowledgeable guy so I'll take your word that the iPad 1 version is busted.

Dash Kappei

Edit: I don't want to continue with this argument anymore. You win Dash! :)

Edit 2: And just to be clear, I want to admit that I was wrong to doubt you Dash. I've never heard any testimonials about this game from people who played it on an iPad 1 except for you and Para but I've heard plenty of people say it plays mostly great on an iPhone 4 and I thought that since they have pretty much the same hardware, why would the iPad 1 version run so much worse than the iPhone 4 version? I completely forgot that the iPad 1 has half the ram than the iPhone 4 so it's entirely understandable that the iPad 1 could be poorly optimized. You've played it on the iPad 1 and I haven't and you seem like a fair and knowledgeable guy so I'll take your word that the iPad 1 version is busted.

Ahah, no worries man. It was just the "insane" part that rubbed me the wrong way, but I can also see that maybe you didn't mean it in a mean way, so no problem you seem a fair guy since you don't see someone come out and admit they might have been wrong that often, especially on gaming forum ;)
Just to be clear, I definitely don't hold the Pinball HD platform as some kind of totem for virtual pinball devs to hold in high regards and draw inspiration from, it's just a decent substitute for iPad 1 people and some of the DLC tables are pretty cool for what they are. Pinball Arcade, played on proper hardware, is on a whole other planet!

Viva la Farsight Studios! :bropeace:

:)

Baron

Wrath? Are you drunk mate?
I don't hold it against the developer at all. They probably had to make that choice to release it before Zen Pinball gained more popularity (there shouldn't be such fear in the first place since Zen Pinball also runs terribly on iPad 1 while being the worse game of the two -to be fair tho, Zen Pinball on 3DS is very good-) and now they're prioritizing DLC content instead of updating the app and optimizing it a bit for first generation iPads: nothing is lost since soon the iPad 1 will be an ancient tablet, I'm happy they've released PA and recommend the game dearly to anyone who's not stuck with an iPad 1 or think of upgrading in the future.
It's also true that the game runs poorly and looses the dev's pedigree (exceptional physics engine+rock solid framerate) when played on iPad 1 devices, which is all I've ever stated, nothing else.

Cave games example is not fitting. There's an hardware limitation (ram) in that case, what we have here is just a lack of optimization.

P.S.
I also have an iPad 2. Yeah.

There's too much bad juju in here - we all love the pinball...let's have a group hug. ;)

But let me get this straight - the PC release is going to be on Steam, but the Mac one on the Mac App Store? I was hoping the Mac one would be on Steam as well, but if having it on the App Store means I get it sooner, that's a-ok by me.

FoxSpirit

Okay, just returned from playing a bit of real Pinball, Arabian Nights which I have played the crap out of on my Galaxy S-II during my recent trip.
Machine was in good condition except for the shooting stars which failed to properly catch the ball.

My complaint is: the simulation runs a tad too fast. The ball is too twitchy, the real machine feels much calmer. Plus on the real machine it's rather easy to catch the ball with the flippers while in the sim the ball rolls too fast off them, making stabilizing the ball much more tricky than on the real thing.

The rest is great but those are issues that are definitely there and make the simulation a bit flawed. Will be interesting to see how it fares on PS3 and PC, where I hope for a no bolds barred physics setting, even if it needs a Quad I7 for good framerate.

Minsc

Gold Member
There's too much bad juju in here - we all love the pinball...let's have a group hug. ;)

But let me get this straight - the PC release is going to be on Steam, but the Mac one on the Mac App Store? I was hoping the Mac one would be on Steam as well, but if having it on the App Store means I get it sooner, that's a-ok by me.

As it stands now, the PC release is looking to not be Steam (Valve turned Farsight down), nor does it seem like it's due to come out any time soon. I guess they have to figure out another solution or hope resubmitting later after it's out on XBLA/PSN/Mac causes Valve to change their minds.

The rest is great but those are issues that are definitely there and make the simulation a bit flawed. Will be interesting to see how it fares on PS3 and PC, where I hope for a no bolds barred physics setting, even if it needs a Quad I7 for good framerate.

When it does come out on PC, I expect it to run upwards of 400 fps on an i7 with newer GPU at 1080p :)

Aselith

Okay, just returned from playing a bit of real Pinball, Arabian Nights which I have played the crap out of on my Galaxy S-II during my recent trip.
Machine was in good condition except for the shooting stars which failed to properly catch the ball.

My complaint is: the simulation runs a tad too fast. The ball is too twitchy, the real machine feels much calmer. Plus on the real machine it's rather easy to catch the ball with the flippers while in the sim the ball rolls too fast off them, making stabilizing the ball much more tricky than on the real thing.

It may have more to do with a worn field causing more friction for the ball vs a smooth new service that the game is simulating or poor balance on the machine you were playinf causing less of an incline.

Luigiv

It may have more to do with a worn field causing more friction for the ball vs a smooth new service that the game is simulating or poor balance on the machine you were playinf causing less of an incline.
You got that backwards, a worn field would have less friction.

Shaneus

Yeah, it's more likely that it'd be the incline than anything else. Far more likely to vary between machines than playfield wear, I'd think.

BiggNife

I have to say, I'm pretty excited for Medieval Madness. Hope it comes out on Android within a few weeks.

edit: Also, as someone who's never played Bride of Pinbot, it looks pretty neat.

Dash Kappei

Hold me tight then my dear pinbro, 'cause I'm not liking those rumours I'm hearing around the community about the PC version now targeting a summer release and the 3DS one being put on hold :(

Shaneus

Hold me tight then my dear pinbro, 'cause I'm not liking those rumours I'm hearing around the community about the PC version now targeting a summer release and the 3DS one being put on hold :(
If that's true, it doesn't bode well for future table releases :/

Has anyone heard anything about a possible Retina upgrade for the iOS version? The game could look so much better even if it was just the table art that went high-res.

Keep in mind that pinball machines are designed for the arcade owner to choose different inclines determining difficulty. Maybe the machine you played was set to an easy slope where the one in the game is set to what the machine manufacturer considers "normal" or even "difficult".

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Do any of the versions have AF?
I tried it on Android and the playfields look absolutely disgusting in landscape mode.

Minsc

Gold Member
Update should hit iOS this week (or next at latest), seems it was submitted to Apple back on the 14th. Not sure if it's fixes / improved graphics or the new DLC, or both though. Ripley's optimization is still a good month away last we heard.

Has anyone heard anything about a possible Retina upgrade for the iOS version? The game could look so much better even if it was just the table art that went high-res.

They have said they are updating the graphics to support the iPad 3's new resolution + AA, hopefully they update the texture quality as well!

Do any of the versions have AF?
I tried it on Android and the playfields look absolutely disgusting in landscape mode.

The console/pc versions do from looking at the videos. Textures are much sharper. I imagine they'll address this in the update mentioned above for iOS soon-ish, and I don't see why they wouldn't on Android as well. Thing should hopefully pick up a little in a few more weeks once we get past these remaining March release dates.

Minsc

Gold Member
A few more facebook updates on platforms & release dates:

The PS3 and Vita are now both approved by Sony and barring anything unforeseen, we'll be releasing them together (one purchase buys both) on April 10th.

We're still hopeful that the 360 version can be launched on the 28th, but it's not a sure thing yet.

We are planning on developing a Windows 8 (phone) version later this year, but I'm sorry, we will not be releasing the game on Windows 7 (phone).

Edit: Bonus update on The Addams Family:

The Addams Family will eventually be available, right? Yes? :) If so, is there any ETA for that particular table at all at this point?

The Pinball Arcade: We definitely realize that TAF would be incredible and it's one of the tops on our list! The petition talk is funny because we were actually thinking about asking for help getting the attention of one of the licenses needed. But the foundation wants to work with us - we still need a lot more cooperation though.

Wonko_C

The PS3 and Vita are now both approved by Sony and barring anything unforeseen, we'll be releasing them together (one purchase buys both) on April 10th.

Ouch, end of March release not happening then, but at least it's a consistent date and having it for both PS3 and Vita for the price of one more than makes up for it. Now all we need is the price. Hopefully I can buy it with the spare $15 on my PSN wallet.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have to say, I'm pretty excited for Medieval Madness. Hope it comes out on Android within a few weeks.

edit: Also, as someone who's never played Bride of Pinbot, it looks pretty neat.

It's ok, but the lesser-known "Jackbot" is 100 times better. I really want to see a digital release of that one in the future. Probably my most-wanted.

Shaneus

It's ok, but the lesser-known "Jackbot" is 100 times better. I really want to see a digital release of that one in the future. Probably my most-wanted.
I *think* I've played that IRL at one stage? Definitely played on vPinMAME and enjoyed the hell out of it.

For something different and completely left-of-centre, I'd love to see something like The Empire Strikes Back. A friend has one and the backglass looks ridiculously good in person... but as it's a relatively unknown manufacturer, coupled with a (surely) pricey license, I doubt it'd ever happen.

On another note, anyone know if any Superpin tables have been announced for TPA?

Minsc

Gold Member
So about that windows release rumor... not looking so much like a rumor anymore:

The Pinball Arcade: Our best guess is that the PC version will be available in May or June. If you want to help us - please email Steam with requests for our game and questions as to when it will be coming out. Thanks!

Somehow I doubt Valve getting a few hundred e-mails (at most) makes any difference at all to them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You sir, know your pinball. Internet high 5.

I LOVED that machine. I wish I had a real one :( Easily in my top 5, maybe even top 2 (behind World Cup Soccer).

Dash Kappei

So about that windows release rumor... not looking so much like a rumor anymore:

Somehow I doubt Valve getting a few hundred e-mails (at most) makes any difference at all to them.

Fuck.
The worst thing is that the very same "source" close to Farsight telling me about the summer release was the one who told me the 3DS version was put on hold. :(

Shaneus

With that delay (of sorts), do we know if that has any effect on the release of new tables for iOS or the other platforms soon to be released?

FatBaby

I wish they could give us an e-mail of the main contact or something. I doubt Gabe really cares to see people bugging him about releases.

Or maybe he does, I don't know.

Minsc

Gold Member
With that delay (of sorts), do we know if that has any effect on the release of new tables for iOS or the other platforms soon to be released?

They submitted the update back on the 14th (which now seems very likely it has the new tables), but because the new iPad was just released there's been an usually high number of apps doing updates, so they think it's taking longer than usual. They 2 more weeks of waiting for Apple to push the update through, but that seems a very forgiving estimate and I'd expect it sooner if they sent it in on the 14th.

I've updated the OP with the most recent release date info as it's been announced. April 10th is a lock for PSN (Vita+PS3 is a single purchase), 360 is still in the air for this week on the 28th, if not figure the following week, and we're waiting on Apple to push the button on the Mac version afaik as well. The 3DS is unknown for now, as they have to optimize the performance on it further.

Shaneus

FYI, in case y'all didn't know (I didn't):
9jpSX.png

Minsc

Gold Member
Two more days for XBLA release has been confirmed, as well 1080p native resolution. Should be by far the best looking version of the game yet!

AMUSIX

Sorry haven't been able to update the OP with any of the latest info, been overseas, with limited internets.

Awesome to have the 360 version so close, though.

Shaneus

Two more days for XBLA release has been confirmed, as well 1080p native resolution. Should be by far the best looking version of the game yet!
Somewhat sucks I'll have to double(triple?)-dip on the tables, but as there's no real way around it, especially for such diverse platforms as iOS, Windows and 360, I'll try and limit myself to the minimum number of tables on each. I'm guessing, all the ones I want for iOS due to sheer portability, then mostly 360 with the odd one or two on PC, depending on how online scores and MP work on each platform.

Unless there's potential for modding/toying on the PC one, of course ;)

Minsc

Gold Member
Sorry haven't been able to update the OP with any of the latest info, been overseas, with limited internets.

Awesome to have the 360 version so close, though.

No problem! I'm happy to fill in, hopefully you get to add in the first two DLC tables sometime this week, I like seeing the screens of all the various tables together in the OP.

A few more details from the official forums I missed:

Console/Handheld Launch Tables Pack Pricing: The price for the four launch tables purchased together will be 800 msp for Xbox 360 and $9.99 for PS3/Vita (single purchase for both).

Pinball Cabinet Support: FarSight stated that they definitely plan to implement pinball cabinet support in the future.

Game Center: Game Center will not be a part of the next iOS update, but FarSight is still looking to add it as soon as possible.

Multi-Ball Camera: FarSight is still in the process of adding the option to toggle the multi-ball camera on/off, so it doesn't look like we'll have this option available when the console versions are released.

Console and Handheld Screen Resolutions: The PS3 and Xbox 360 versions will run in 1080p Full-HD (1920x1080) and the Vita version will run in 960x544.

Dot Matrix Display (DMD): FarSight is looking into adding options to change the filter, size, position and possibly the brightness of the DMD in the future.

Ball Drop Sound: There was a problem getting the sound to fire at the appropriate times, but FarSight is looking to fix this issue and release an update in the near future.

FatBaby

I just saw someone mention this on those Pinball Arcade forums, but it really need saying again. Farsight needs to rethink the way they release information. Posting a response to a comment on Facebook is not the way to keep people informed.

If it wasn't for Minsc, I wouldn't know what the hell was going with any version of the game. Patches, new tables, etc. They either need to have a dedicated blog or a newsletter or something. ANYTHING would be a huge improvement over how they go about it now.

Shearie

Something pinball related just made my day. I haven't been to my local mall in quite awhile but I dropped by today and saw that they closed down one of those mobile stores that used to be in the corner of the mall and replaced it with a mini arcade with one pinball table there, Monster Bash! I haven't carried quarters in my pocket since I was a kid so I didn't have a chance to play it but next time I'll be prepared. It's exciting because I never played Monster Bash before and it seems to be highly regarded. Plus, I just haven't played a real pinball table in years.

Shaneus

Something pinball related just made my day. I haven't been to my local mall in quite awhile but I dropped by today and saw that they closed down one of those mobile stores that used to be in the corner of the mall and replaced it with a mini arcade with one pinball table there, Monster Bash! I haven't carried quarters in my pocket since I was a kid so I didn't have a chance to play it but next time I'll be prepared. It's exciting because I never played Monster Bash before and it seems to be highly regarded. Plus, I just haven't played a real pinball table in years.
Thing I love about my local (sadly, chain) arcade is that because the kiddies have their parties there and just end up playing Aqua Jet or some crappy Jeep game, there's ALWAYS credits on the tables there. But don't call me cheap though, I'm just not up for being forced to buy a "game card" with credits on it.

I miss the dingy little arcades that were littered around my town. Just oozed character and cigarette smoke. Days are gone :(

Top Bottom