• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

jvm

Gamasutra.
I happen to be 230K ahead of ParallaxScroll in Firepower right now. (I'm at 891K, he's at 661K.)

I assume this will not last for very long. :(

Shaneus

I happen to be 230K ahead of ParallaxScroll in Firepower right now. (I'm at 891K, he's at 661K.)

I assume this will not last for very long. :(
Is that on PS3 or Vita? Because I have 809,050 on iOS (and I've had that for a while :p). My brother's even higher on 938,230. The fact I can get those scores means that you guys should be getting WAY higher ones!

Do we maybe wanna hook up some kind of thing where we can add each other on Facebook to share scores? I honestly don't care if we just put each other in groups where we don't see anything anyone else posts, but to get some more high scores on the Farsight iOS leaderboards would be great... currently I only have 3 (including mine).

PS. That three-way cross-buy is a great thing. I wonder if it would work across different versions of PA though? By that I mean, by the time PS4 comes out there should almost definitely be a completely overhauled iteration of Pinball Arcade (version 2, if you will).

lol I just got a 150 million end of ball bonus on cactus canyon.

Yeah yeah I'll work on my firepower score. I was never that good at firepower on PHOF.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
lol I just got a 150 million end of ball bonus on cactus canyon.

Yeah yeah I'll work on my firepower score. I was never that good at firepower on PHOF.
How did you do that?

I got my first PS3 standard goal list completed, for No Good Gofers. Man, getting that sand trap bonus was a fluke.

I'd play the PS3 version more often if they fixed the lighting. It's like someone turned the lights off.

Shaneus, I don't think that what you mentioned would be a problem as long as the PS3 version gets a 2.0 update as well, but that's just my thoughts.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Long ball, built the bonus up to about 3 million including at least 1 million from a bounty. By the end of the ball it was around a 50x multiplier (and 10x from that came from bounties as well).
Thanks. The multipliers must be handed out like candy then.

Just sent you a PSN friend request, btw. Anyone else, PM me for my PSN ID.

Thanks. The multipliers must be handed out like candy then.

Yeah, it handles bonus similar to Attack from Mars and Medieval Madness. Every switch on the table builds the bonus value slowly, and there's 2 rollover lanes behind the pop bumpers. All you have to do is light both lanes and you get +1 on your multiplier. Sometimes the ball will bounce around in the bumpers and pop up into the lanes several times. You can use the flipper buttons to change which lane is lit so that the ball goes over an unlit lane most of the time. Often sending the ball into the bumpers once is good for +3-5x.

Edit: Accepted your friend request

Shaneus

It's balls-hard and the sound works wonders for increasing the tension in the game. Probably one of the few where you could actually do *better* without the effects.

I shudder to think what you'll be like with it. Scary.

Perhaps that's why it's one of my favourite tables. There's only a small number (two or three) really "big" shots, the others are basically just bank targets that bounce the ball right back at the flippers. I'd absolutely love to see an official tournament played on it. So many of the comps involve stacking complicated bonuses and loops, FP is just a straight-up speed fest.

The only one I can think of that even comes close is PAPA '12 final with F-14 Tomcat. It's just brutal and it makes mincemeat out of players like Cayle George. Men from the boys stuff.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Man, I don't even like Firepower. You guys can have that one.
dNKw6jw.jpg

ascii42

I was thinking, since there's supposed to be a PS4 version in the works, it would be nice for it to be free for anyone who got the PS3/Vita version currently available.

It looks like such a thing may be possible according to this.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=555302

Yeah, it'd be awesome to have the PS4 version of Pinball Arcade waiting for me to download when I buy a PS4. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the PS4 version of the game.

Shaneus

PS. ~80m on Cirqus Voltaire. I don't think it's *that* good, but it trumps a lot of my previous efforts. Funny how the multiball stacks on that game, too... can't remember just how many multiball periods I had, seemingly almost one right after the other.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I like Firepower. I think it's the only table on which I managed to be on top of the list in the old Williams collection thread. :)

jvm

Gamasutra.
I like Firepower. I think it's the only table on which I managed to be on top of the list in the old Williams collection thread. :)
I need to find that thread. My ego tells me I might have hit 1 million on Firepower before, but it might just have been a dream.

Just a dream. Same place I was before, basically. :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36762603&postcount=531

Firepower
1. 3,429,200 - Jucksalbe
2. 2,884,630 - ParallaxScroll
3. 2,522,190 - Gillian Seed X
4. 2,472,620 - GameGuyPeter
5. 1,592,190 - Bebpo
1,539,960 - Shiv47
1,538,560 - Brashnir
1,315,330 - ismaboof(PS3)
1,276,710 - Gillian Seed X
1,149,450 - SeraphisCain (PS3)
997,340 - catchan
980,620 - Mollymauk
850,550 - jvm

You know, from playing TPA so much there's something that has been weighing on me, and that is how hard it is to find a goddamn real pinball machine. Any machine, really. Which is especially weird for me to say given there is a Six Flags five minuted from my house that probably has a handful of pinball machines in there. I just don't have many friends near me that are big enough into roller coasters to justify a $70 season pass plus parking just to play pinball (and roller coasters and funnel cake I suppose).

What really bums me out is that there is a mall with an arcade that is even closer to my house than the Six Flags, and yet no pinball machines. Its like half redemption games and the other half is kind of shit arcade games (racing games, fighters, House of the Dead, Silent Scope, etc).

Ugh, I really need to find a real pinball machine.

blurrygil

You know, from playing TPA so much there's something that has been weighing on me, and that is how hard it is to find a goddamn real pinball machine. Any machine, really. Which is especially weird for me to say given there is a Six Flags five minuted from my house that probably has a handful of pinball machines in there. I just don't have many friends near me that are big enough into roller coasters to justify a $70 season pass plus parking just to play pinball (and roller coasters and funnel cake I suppose).

What really bums me out is that there is a mall with an arcade that is even closer to my house than the Six Flags, and yet no pinball machines. Its like half redemption games and the other half is kind of shit arcade games (racing games, fighters, House of the Dead, Silent Scope, etc).

We've got tons of places here in Seattle, mate. Places with 4 or more machines in each: Dorky's Bar Arcade, John John's Gameroom, Shorty's, the Seattle Pinball Museum, Add-a-Ball, Full Tilt Ice Cream (x3 locations), Madison Pub, Funhouse, GameWorks, Hooverville, Hurricane, the Unicorn, Pier 57 (only 2 there, but they're new Ironman and Avengers Stern machines!).

Damn. That's a lot of venues. Wow.

Where you out of? There's a really good place in NH, just north of the MA border near Lowell. http://www.pinballwizardarcade.com/

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
There's one place that's a 45 minute drive away that has several tables, including several Pimball Arcade tables (Scared Stiff, Cirqus Voltaire, Attack from Mars, and I think Twilight Zone- it's been a while, I'm not sure about the last one), both Pinball 2000 tables (Revenge from Mars and Star Wars Episode I) and several others (Monopoly, Rollercoaster Tycoon, and I think an Addams Family).

I'm in Gurnee, Il, which is, ironically, about 20 minutes from the Williams (now called WMS).

edit - I just noticed I'm no longer a Junior Member :p

Tried both. Pinballrebel had a handful of tables, but it all seemed like a case of an undermaintained machine somewhere in the corner of a bar.

There was supposed to be a proper pinball arcade opening near me, they had gotten approval from the city, were selling memberships, and had apparently even taken delivery of tables... then they just disappeard off the face of the planet.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Just barely over 2 million, good for #6 on the leaderboard. I got a feel for it, and it's definitely a "flow" table. You've gotta be mindful of the ball's momentum and be careful of the tilt sensor. Also multiball's not very important.
I think multiball serves as a period of relief for me. I don't have to worry immediately about the ball draining because there are three of them.

I think multiball serves as a period of relief for me. I don't have to worry immediately about the ball draining because there are three of them.

Yeah, I still play it, but I'd rather build the bonus multiplier and get the inlanes lit than spend time locking balls.

The spot targets on the right can be a little tough to hit so sometimes I use multiball to help hit them.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Acquired PS3 standard goal lists #2 (Cactus Canyon) and 3 (Central Park) tonight. I really wish Farsight would do something about the lighting on the PS3 version, it's so dark.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Acquired PS3 standard goal lists #2 (Cactus Canyon) and 3 (Central Park) tonight. I really wish Farsight would do something about the lighting on the PS3 version, it's so dark.

I wish they'd do something about Genie being brighter than the sun.

Seriously, that table makes my eyes hurt. :lol

I still check this thread at least once a day. I may be able to wait indefinitely for a version of this game on one of my platforms of choice... but I can't quit you guys.

image.png

Minsc

Gold Member
He probably means PC and wii-U

I'm waiting for the Steam release now since I had a lot invested in the 360 version and then it just stopped dead.

Speaking of Steam releases, in case anyone missed it, Zen's Pinball FX2 is due out later today on Steam (for free, then you choose among different table packs to buy). There's a thread here that didn't get much attention.

Speaking of Steam releases, in case anyone missed it, Zen's Pinball FX2 is due out later today on Steam (for free, then you choose among different table packs to buy). There's a thread here that didn't get much attention.

I have every table for the xbox360 but since the only games I play on that console are Trials and Pinball, I think I'll re-buy for Steam and just sell the old dust collector.

I downloaded Star Wars Pinball on my tablet a week ago and if that's what the rest of Zen's stuff is like then I'm not interested. It never felt like there were "physics" involved. It felt more like this simple timing system where if you hit the flipper at "this time" then the ball would travel down "this line." The ball never seems to bounce around in any sort of fashion, it always perfectly hits a ramp/target/etc or doesn't.

He probably means PC and wii-U

I'm waiting for the Steam release now since I had a lot invested in the 360 version and then it just stopped dead.

yeah, that's what I mean. I have the 360 and PS3 versions, but since I know I'm abandoning those systems I don't want to pour money into table packs for them. at this point PC looks like the way I'm going to go, because as much as I love my Wii U (and as awesome as playing pinball on that controller is) I'm not too sold on the longevity of the Wii U either.

still, I'll probably break down and buy all the table packs on whichever of those two versions releases first. so many awesome tables I haven't played yet... and all of the tables they've put out that I have good real world experiences with, have come out after I decided to hold off on buying the DLC.

so i'm chomping at the bit, while somehow still keeping my resolve. i'm not sure if regularly reading this thread helps or hinders :)

ascii42

yeah, that's what I mean. I have the 360 and PS3 versions, but since I know I'm abandoning those systems I don't want to pour money into table packs for them. at this point PC looks like the way I'm going to go, because as much as I love my Wii U (and as awesome as playing pinball on that controller is) I'm not too sold on the longevity of the Wii U either.

still, I'll probably break down and buy all the table packs on whichever of those two versions releases first. so many awesome tables I haven't played yet... and all of the tables they've put out that I have good real world experiences with, have come out after I decided to hold off on buying the DLC.

so i'm chomping at the bit, while somehow still keeping my resolve. i'm not sure if regularly reading this thread helps or hinders :)
There's always the possibility of triple cross-buy for PS3/Vita/PS4. At least, I hope so.

I downloaded Star Wars Pinball on my tablet a week ago and if that's what the rest of Zen's stuff is like then I'm not interested. It never felt like there were "physics" involved. It felt more like this simple timing system where if you hit the flipper at "this time" then the ball would travel down "this line." The ball never seems to bounce around in any sort of fashion, it always perfectly hits a ramp/target/etc or doesn't.

That's a good way to describe it.

blurrygil

Thanks to everyone who has so far added me on PSN!

I hate you all for having such amazing scores. Particularly ParallaxScroll... :'(

Shaneus

Everything on 360 still plays better than everything I've played on PS3. Such a shame that was the platform that had issues :/

Top Bottom