• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Everything on 360 still plays better than everything I've played on PS3. Such a shame that was the platform that had issues :/

Monster Bash on 360 has a glitch that is bad enough that I won't play that version. Otherwise yes, every table that has a version on 360 plays best there.

Shaneus

Monster Bash on 360 has a glitch that is bad enough that I won't play that version. Otherwise yes, every table that has a version on 360 plays best there.
The nudge glitch? Yeah, I'm aware of it. Even exploited it a little (but not before going overboard and actually tilted the thing, ahaha). But everything else on there is pretty much perfect. Sad panda.

This Medieval Madness game sure is taking a while

Edit: Done. The PS3 version is about the same difficulty as the 360 version, except that you can't post-pass right to left on PS3.

Ended up with 3.6 billion which is almost exactly the same as my best 360 score.

Shaneus

Update for Zaccaria on iOS!

In this update:
Code:
- ADDED a new table, Farfalla
- ADDED 3 new in-app purchases (premium camera, physics tweaks, graphics tweaks)
- FIXED red special and orange special on Time Machine
- FIXED time special and train sound on Locomotion
- FIXED orange special on Pinball Champ '82
- FIXED backglass of all the tables in night mode
- ADDED 4-direction shaking option
- ADDED touch-based launching
- ADDED configurable iCade control
- ADDED new options (glass, environment, HUD)
- ADDED a fully reprogrammed physics engine
- FIXED menu issues on iPhone 5
- OPTIMIZED gameplay on iPhone 4, iPad and iPhone 3GS
- FIXED menu, now iap icons dissappear for gold membership owners
- ADDED realistic flipper gap in simulation mode
Didn't post that so people can know, just so that people can see what the competition is including in it's first update. Insane level of stuff.

Also note, that as I have bought the "gold" package (which includes all options and all tables) I get the included table AND the physics/camera/graphics tweaks all included :D

I was watching the "Special When Lit" pinball documentary and man they certainly decided to feature some of the most awkward and meek people they could find. The historians and game designers were fine, but all those collectors and tournament players, ugh, lets just say there's not a Steve Wiebe in the bunch.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I was watching the "Special When Lit" pinball documentary and man they certainly decided to feature some of the most awkward and meek people they could find. The historians and game designers were fine, but all those collectors and tournament players, ugh, lets just say there's not a Steve Wiebe in the bunch.
Yep. The guy with the house full of pinball table parts, notebooks, and prominent belly was amazing. Really fun documentary to watch.

VALIS

Update for Zaccaria on iOS!

In this update:
Code:
- ADDED a new table, Farfalla
- ADDED 3 new in-app purchases (premium camera, physics tweaks, graphics tweaks)
- FIXED red special and orange special on Time Machine
- FIXED time special and train sound on Locomotion
- FIXED orange special on Pinball Champ '82
- FIXED backglass of all the tables in night mode
- ADDED 4-direction shaking option
- ADDED touch-based launching
- ADDED configurable iCade control
- ADDED new options (glass, environment, HUD)
- ADDED a fully reprogrammed physics engine
- FIXED menu issues on iPhone 5
- OPTIMIZED gameplay on iPhone 4, iPad and iPhone 3GS
- FIXED menu, now iap icons dissappear for gold membership owners
- ADDED realistic flipper gap in simulation mode
Didn't post that so people can know, just so that people can see what the competition is including in it's first update. Insane level of stuff.

Also note, that as I have bought the "gold" package (which includes all options and all tables) I get the included table AND the physics/camera/graphics tweaks all included :D

Nice. I think I'm gonna plunk down for the gold package, too. Just wanted to be sure they were gonna keep updating and improving.

Shaneus

^^^ Yeah, once I saw the first four tables and how many options they had already (and the guarantee of the specific number of tables) it was easy to justify.

Special When Lit is definitely more a "People who like pinball" documentary than a "pinball documentary", IMO. As interesting and bizarre as it was, I much preferred Tilt!.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Special When Lit is definitely more a "People who like pinball" documentary than a "pinball documentary", IMO. As interesting and bizarre as it was, I much preferred Tilt!.
There's another pinball documentary? Is it on Netflix?

Edit: Dang. Not on streaming or available on DVD? Criminal.

joeblow

One of the things I try to do in TPA is beat my old scores from the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame. Firepower is one of the ones I did well on back in the day, but I sold my copy and forgot what I got on it.

Fortunately a buddy of mine still has it and checked the leader boards for me. My best was just a bit over 4,000,000, which would have been #1 on the NeoGAF rankings if I were a member based on this post from jvm. Hopefully I can get in that groove again with the TPA version of Firepower. We'll see.

Shaneus

What's the going rate for Black Hole at the moment? Was just polishing up that damn 250k lower playfield goal (thought I lost it when I only had 200k in one ball, but I guess it's cumulative across all three?) and managed to rack up 1.97 million.

Such a fun table.

What's the going rate for Black Hole at the moment? Was just polishing up that damn 250k lower playfield goal (thought I lost it when I only had 200k in one ball, but I guess it's cumulative across all three?) and managed to rack up 1.97 million.

Such a fun table.

I'm not a big fan of that table but last week I was on my way to a new personal high-score when the ball went through the top of the lower playfield (bottom of the screen) and the game just ended. I didn't even get the score from the lower playfield. :(

One of the things I try to do in TPA is beat my old scores from the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame. Firepower is one of the ones I did well on back in the day, but I sold my copy and forgot what I got on it.

Fortunately a buddy of mine still has it and checked the leader boards for me. My best was just a bit over 4,000,000, which would have been #1 on the NeoGAF rankings if I were a member based on this post from jvm. Hopefully I can get in that groove again with the TPA version of Firepower. We'll see.

Impressive! That's a lot better than I've ever done.

jvm

Gamasutra.

Nice score! Glad you were able to track down a way to get to the official scoreboards.

I'm still trying to get over a million. :(

jvm

Gamasutra.
Ok, finally hit over a million on Firepower.

Final score: 1,404,670

Man, that felt good. PSV version, by the way.

Edit: Also completed all wizard goals for that table on the same game. Not sure what the final goal was that was holding me back.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Is there a wizard goal for making the billion point shot in Bride of PinBot? Because I made that shot tonight, but I'm still stuck on the standard goal list because of that fucking 200K point skill shot.

Also, I managed to find Larry DeMar on twitter, but he only made five tweets and his account is protected...

Shaneus

I believe there is a billion point shot wizard goal. That was the first table I got all the wizard goals on... just keep hitting that left ramp until you need to make the billion skill shot.

Bride of Pinbot has a fun theme, but it's pretty boring to play because the best strategy is to just shoot the left ramp a lot until billion is lit, then shoot the center ramp, and repeat, ignoring everything else on the table.

joeblow

Bride of Pinbot can still be fun (and a challenge) if you try to get a Backdoor Billion award. To get it you need to get a 10-loop combo. Before you are awarded it though you have to complete all the other loop compbos in order, 2-9. Each time you hit a loop, you have 4 seconds or so to hit another or it resets to your last completed combo. Your progress carries over from ball to ball though.

I got up to the nine-loop combo once which took well over a hundred ramp trips, but I got a bit nervous and lost my concentration. Too bad there is no trophy for it. The most efficient way to complete it takes about 50 loop shots, but I can' t imagine someone doing it that easily.

joeblow

This Medieval Madness game sure is taking a while

Edit: Done. The PS3 version is about the same difficulty as the 360 version, except that you can't post-pass right to left on PS3.

Ended up with 3.6 billion which is almost exactly the same as my best 360 score.
Oh man, that destroyed my highest score. I think I only now have Dr. Dude left above your best run. Heh, at least for most of the tables that I put time into you have just "merely" doubled my top score. =P

Ah well, more practice needed.

Yeah, I feel the same way about Bride of Pinbot as I do about Medieval Madness, I like the theme but the mechanics are boring. Hitting that castle gate over and over again is not particularly fun.

Yeah, I feel the same way about Bride of Pinbot as I do about Medieval Madness, I like the theme but the mechanics are boring. Hitting that castle gate over and over again is not particularly fun.

There's way more to medieval madness than that. In fact I'd say MM takes the most strategy and planning out of any table in PA if you're really going for high scores.

Edit: Except maybe Star Trek, but I'm not very good at that one so I don't really know.

There's way more to medieval madness than that. In fact I'd say MM takes the most strategy and planning out of any table in PA if you're really going for high scores.

Edit: Except maybe Star Trek, but I'm not very good at that one so I don't really know.

yeah. you're definitely not playing MM right if you're just going for castles without trying to get all the madness multiballs going at once, and then doing royal madness to get them all going again. damn that catapult shot...

Yeah, I've done the Madness Multiballs and got the Royal Madness extraball multiple times. But "Win the Battle for the Kingdom" is the only Wizard goal I have left and getting that is boring as shit.

If you play stacked Multiball Madness and Royal Madness twice each and do a few rounds of Castle Multiball, that should get you most of what you need to unlock Battle For The Kingdom. I don't even aim for the castle gate most of the time; I just get castle kills off stray hits when playing other modes.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Standard goal set number lucky thirteen (Medieval Madness) complete.

I was stuck on destroying two castles for the longest time, then I activated multiball after lowering the drawbridge the second time and things got a little bit easier from there on out.

Ended that game with a score of about 28 million, I think.

blurrygil

MM on Vita is brutal, to me. Haven't gone past 4 Castles. Bah, I'll get there someday.

Finally got the hang of TZ. FUCK ME you've got to be SUPER patient with shots. That table punishes like no other for missed shots. But I finally got Jackpots and the higher level bonus modes and my high score is finally out of the cellar. My games on it last an avg of a half hour now.

Cactus Canyon is a blast. Great table. Still learning it and can't get those higher-echelon scores yet, but I'm enjoying it at the least.

joeblow

Honest questions - do you hit the ball "randomly" as it rolls around, or do you mostly use controlled shots, trapping the ball when possible? Also, do you feel pretty good about your nudging skills? The better you are with both of those, the less luck becomes a factor in how well you play.

For instance, last night I finished the last two Wizard goals for Dr, Dude: hitting the Gazillion point shot (you have to be a Super Dude first) and collecting a Double Jackpot by getting two balls in the spinner simultaneously while Jackpot was lit.

It would be a LOT harder to get those goals if I wasn't constantly controlling the flow of the ball leading up to the events. I avoid certain "bad" shot attempts and try to slow the ball down for a controlled shot by trapping. When things look dangerous, I nudge the ball towards a more favorable path.

You can't always get the ball to go exactly where you want, but getting better at keeping it away from where you DON'T want helps a lot in avoiding drains as you aim for your targets.

joeblow

Thanks. And if your tag means that you can complete Shadow of the Beast without getting hit once, you're merely tied as the best. ;-)

jvm

Gamasutra.
Thanks. And if your tag means that you can complete Shadow of the Beast without getting hit once, you're merely tied as the best. ;-)
My recollection, perhaps faulty, is that Parallax Scroll has claimed never to have played Shadow of the Beast.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Captains log, completed the standard goals for Star Trek: The Next Generation (list #14) today. Got a new high score of 659M, too.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Nah, it's just a pun on his GAF name and how SotB's marketing/reviews/Amiga fanboys (like me, lol) always made a big deal out of Its 12 levels of parallax scroll. Also one of the few franchises were the first game is the one with the best gfx.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Got that extra ball in Cirqus Voltaire, I can now take the asterisk off of that one.

The Ringmaster Hideout bonus is a wizard goal, I got that once. Gotta be quick on that one.

Shaneus

Got that extra ball in Cirqus Voltaire, I can now take the asterisk off of that one.

The Ringmaster Hideout bonus is a wizard goal, I got that once. Gotta be quick on that one.
I just got all the standard goals in that as well. I think I now have them in all of them... except for the two tables I haven't bought (HD and Ripley's). This is iOS, mind you.

Speaking of which, the next pack can't be far off, can it? It's usually around the 16-17th when the update is available on the iOS app store.

blurrygil

Okay, okay. Just off the bus playing the Vita version, now at work:

Monster Bash. 910m so far. 1st ball. 3-4 extra balls. 3 multiballs. 1 wizard mode (Monster Bash) with 380m from that alone.

*puts on best wrestler face*

My time...IS NOW!!!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Standard goal set #15 (Scared Stiff) complete. Getting the right lane rollover for the Tele-Pathetic award was tougher than expected.

Shaneus

Oh man, I was hoping PA would be updated on iOS by the end of this (working) week... and with only an hour and a half to go, I'm not liking my chances :(

Cirqus Voltaire is dumb but I'm gonna try to beat my PS3 score anyway.

Edit: I beat it but eh I can do better. Got 470 million which is less than half of my xbox score.

The physics are, again, really different from 360, but I'm adapting. Bounce passes are a lot more effective in this version.

Top Bottom