• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

joeblow

It's reportedly only 1/60th of a second which is why you likely never noticed... many people have HDTVs with more lag than that. In any case, Farsight says they found the problem and will fix it in a patch. By all accounts so far, the PS4 doesn't have this issue.

Shaneus

It's reportedly only 1/60th of a second which is why you likely never noticed... many people have HDTVs with more lag than that. In any case, Farsight says they found the problem and will fix it in a patch. By all accounts so far, the PS4 doesn't have this issue.
Some people didn't notice, but maybe the only reason I noticed was because I had both my PS3 and 360 on the same input coming through my receiver and I could tell that one was noticeably more responsive than the other, TV "game" mode or otherwise. Maybe I'm just hypersensitive to that stuff.

Brashnir

Some people didn't notice, but maybe the only reason I noticed was because I had both my PS3 and 360 on the same input coming through my receiver and I could tell that one was noticeably more responsive than the other, TV "game" mode or otherwise. Maybe I'm just hypersensitive to that stuff.

Don't ever use onlive or gaikai. There's a constant 8-10 frames of input lag.

Me too. I think what people don't realize though, is how easy it is to notice this stuff if you are playing the same tables on both hardware. I don't think either of us would think there was anything wrong at all if we'd only played the game on PS3. The lag is so slight that it doesn't stop the game feeling playable or responsive at all, but if you're used to that faster response, you are completely aware of real situations where you wouldn't have drained, or missed that shot, on the 360 version.

Shaneus

Don't ever use onlive or gaikai. There's a constant 8-10 frames of input lag.
Well, if OnLive was my only source for something, it probably wouldn't be noticeable :) I'm sure there are a number of games that are fine with it, and pinball probably wouldn't be that bad with that kind of delay (you'd get used to it, I guess) if you had nothing to compare it to. But because there's a definite difference between the responsiveness of the iOS/360 and PS3 versions, it's *all* I notice :(

Me too. I think what people don't realize though, is how easy it is to notice this stuff if you are playing the same tables on both hardware. I don't think either of us would think there was anything wrong at all if we'd only played the game on PS3. The lag is so slight that it doesn't stop the game feeling playable or responsive at all, but if you're used to that faster response, you are completely aware of real situations where you wouldn't have drained, or missed that shot, on the 360 version.
Spot on.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The latest newsletter gives a hint regarding Table Pack #16.

Not everyone gets to fly through space looking for the next table of the month, but this squirrel is a rare breed!

Sounds like it's Goin' Nuts (squirrel is a rare breed) and the previously promised Flight 2000 (fly through space).

Brashnir

Well, if OnLive was my only source for something, it probably wouldn't be noticeable :) I'm sure there are a number of games that are fine with it, and pinball probably wouldn't be that bad with that kind of delay (you'd get used to it, I guess) if you had nothing to compare it to. But because there's a definite difference between the responsiveness of the iOS/360 and PS3 versions, it's *all* I notice :(

Spot on.

It changes from one button press to the next though. Trust me, if you can tell the difference here, it will drive you NUTS on a streaming service.

Goin' Nuts was in one of their earlier games -- was Flight 2000? If not then that is two left from earlier games that haven't appeared in TPA, Sorcerer and El Dorado (I think).

Glad to see both Goin' Nuts and Flight 2000.

joeblow

Setting aside for a moment that the 1 frame glitch doesn't happen in 720P so people can test for themselves, the exact same situation is available to PS3 owners like myself who have the Vita version for free. In fact, it's an even better test since unlike most 360 people who play on HDTVs with varying levels if lag, there is zero lag in with the Vita's controls and the OLED screen.

Playing both versions back and forth, 1 frame loss is not a dramatic difference to make or break a run IMHO. You would think my best scores have come from the Vita, but all but maybe two tables are topped with PS3 earned scores instead. I stopped forcing 720P because it is no big deal. Sure, it'll be great when the patch comes, but I personally don't find myself blaming the game when I lose a ball in the meantime.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Goin' Nuts was in one of their earlier games -- was Flight 2000? If not then that is two left from earlier games that haven't appeared in TPA, Sorcerer and El Dorado (I think).

Glad to see both Goin' Nuts and Flight 2000.
Goin' Nuts was in Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection, IIRC. The ones left from earlier games are Scorcerer, El Dorado, Jive Time, and Strikes N' Spares, I think.

Shaneus

Wow, the Easter egg in Monster Bash noted here (http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4441) actually works on TPA. Now I have to see if any of the other ones do.
Yup, and it gives you the achievement/goal for it, too! That's the beauty of emulation... *everything* is emulated. If you played that same table on a platform/version where it was scripted, it's likely that wouldn't be in there.

I think you'll find all of these will work as well, provided TPA gives you the access to do it (as in, you don't need to do it in attract mode, because it has the splash screen on it).

By far my favourite/the funniest easter egg (I use the term loosely here) on TPA is in TNG, where if when you lose a ball and Data says "If you had sent the ball on the proper trajectory..." you push both flippers, Picard interrupts him with a "Thank you, Mr. Data". Better still, you get a 10 million points bonus for it, bahaha.

This is probably my favourite non-TPA one. It's especially awesome because it was legitimately only discovered I think two or three years ago? So for 15 years, no-one knew about it and it's one of the most popular pinball machines ever.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, that's pretty neat seeing those easter eggs make it over to the game. Just getting the free match at the end of a game was easter egg enough for me, lol.

Finally got around to updating the OP with banners for table pack 15:

hA9k90c.jpg

1WLGgKv.jpg

Shaneus

I think I'm going to treat myself to one pack on PS3, was playing it earlier in 720p and it's made it quite a bit more responsive... at least to the point where whilst there may be a delay compared to the 360 version, it's nowhere near as bad as it was.

I noticed both WH2O and Centaur are on the leaderboards despite not being available yet on PS3 (all the scores say "mobile" on them), will that be the next pack? I can't even remember if they were bundled together or not. But a quick visit to the OP will fix that, I bet ;)

Edit: They were both separate. Guess that means I'll get the Centaur/Pinbot one. Is that the pack that they said would be out a week after the next one is due on PS3?

Yup, and it gives you the achievement/goal for it, too! That's the beauty of emulation... *everything* is emulated. If you played that same table on a platform/version where it was scripted, it's likely that wouldn't be in there.

I think you'll find all of these will work as well, provided TPA gives you the access to do it (as in, you don't need to do it in attract mode, because it has the splash screen on it).

By far my favourite/the funniest easter egg (I use the term loosely here) on TPA is in TNG, where if when you lose a ball and Data says "If you had sent the ball on the proper trajectory..." you push both flippers, Picard interrupts him with a "Thank you, Mr. Data". Better still, you get a 10 million points bonus for it, bahaha.

This is probably my favourite non-TPA one. It's especially awesome because it was legitimately only discovered I think two or three years ago? So for 15 years, no-one knew about it and it's one of the most popular pinball machines ever.

Just over two years ago. The guy who first found it was a bit drunk at the time and posted on a forum asking 'how you do the dancing frog thing' the next day, and practically everyone just thought he was imagining things until someone anonymous confirmed to him that it was in the code.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Oh man, that's the best easter egg ever. It literally is designed to make people say "quit putting me on, dude" instead of being taken seriously.

I don't know who came up with that whole frog thing in the original WB cartoon, but ... brilliant!

Shaneus

I love Michigan J. Frog. He could be my favourite Looney Tunes character ever. I also love that because WB had nothing to do with Indy or Williams, that it massively infringes on copyright. lulz

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I love Michigan J. Frog. He could be my favourite Looney Tunes character ever. I also love that because WB had nothing to do with Indy or Williams, that it massively infringes on copyright. lulz
Yeah, that might be something that complicates things if we're ever to see this in TPA. Then again, there was a Bugs Bunny pin... Hm...

Yeah, so I went to the beercade yesterday. Kind of a bummer about their pinball machines though. I mean, I imagine being a bar they probably get treated pretty rough, but a lot of them were in pretty bad shape. At least everything was set to free play.

The games they had were:

ATTACK FROM MARS - Out of commission
BAYWATCH - Generally functional
CORVETTE - Out of commission
GUNS N’ ROSES - Out of commission
INDIANA JONES: THE PINBALL ADVENTURE - Generally functional
JURASSIC PARK - Good condition, but kinda boring table.
METALLICA (PRO VERSION) - Good condition
PLAYBOY - Did not play
POPEYE SAVES THE EARTH - Left flipper kicks but can't hold up.
STARSHIP TROOPERS - Generally functional, had an interesting setup where there were two buttons on the right because there was a second right flipper directly next to the main flipper. Kind of cool
STAR WARS EPISODE I - Good condition, but kinda boring table
TALES OF THE ARABIAN KNIGHTS - Weak flippers, area near the flippers was very rough, ball movement was pretty erradict. The magic lamp in the middle did not spin smoothly.
TERMINATOR 2 - Out of commission.
THE ADDAMS FAMILY GOLD (SPECIAL COLLECTORS EDITION) - Weak flippers, lots of rough spots on the playfield.
THE AVENGERS - Good condition.
THE AVENGERS (PREMIUM/LE) - Piece of cabling loose on the top of the playfield caught balls and got the game stuck.
TWILIGHT ZONE - Could not find this at all.
X-MEN - Did not play (balls stuck on the playfield, couldn't release).

The two Avengers tables both had a weird issue as well. On the right return lane there was this sensor and a ball detent to hold a ball for whatever reason, so a ball was sit there, the detent would pop out and the ball would continue to the flipper, or at least it was supposed to. The ball ALWAYS got stuck there on both tables and I had to bump the table every time to get it to go through.

There was also a Wizard of Oz table that was not set up for free play, so I didn't try it.

Shaneus

^^ That's why we need to preserve pinball. Machines get treated like shit and maintenance is an afterthought (if any thought at all).

Yeah, that might be something that complicates things if we're ever to see this in TPA. Then again, there was a Bugs Bunny pin... Hm...
Nah, they'd probably just remove it. I know they removed a song or two in CFtBL due to licensing, so I don't think it's that hard.

Shaneus

You BASTARD. This is the Pinball Arcade thread, not the pinball thread. You post in here, you'd better damn well make sure it's related to TPA.

Can't believe you got my hopes up like that :(

From now on, do NOT mention any other tables in here randomly like that unless they're announced.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Sorry, didn't mean to do that. (This should be a general pinball discussion, too, IMHO.)
Given that this thread is in Gaming Community, I think it's close enough that it could just be about pinball generally, with a main focus on TPA. Clearly, however, I Am Not a Mod®.

That said, yeah, a bit more annotation of your original post would have helped. :)

Given that this thread is in Gaming Community, I think it's close enough that it could just be about pinball generally, with a main focus on TPA. Clearly, however, I Am Not a Mod®.

That said, yeah, a bit more annotation of your original post would have helped. :)
yeah, that's how I see this thread too. As a general pinball thread with a TPA focus.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Back to TPA discussion, the PSN store got Table Pack 13 and the Season 2 pass today. Downloading the Season 2 pass also gave me Table Pack 14, even though I don't see it in the store ATM. I'll email FS and ask them if I can get credit back for downloading Table Packs 1-12 separately.

I have always been baffled as to why High Speed hasn't shown up in any of the Farsight titles. Is there some issue? The machine is fucking awesome and it should be on the list.

Shaneus

Sorry, didn't mean to do that. (This should be a general pinball discussion, too, IMHO.)
I have no problem with this, but

I use this thread for general pinball stuff anyway, but I never just dump stuff in here like that unless it's obvious it's not about TPA. Now I'm sad :(

I have always been baffled as to why High Speed hasn't shown up in any of the Farsight titles. Is there some issue? The machine is fucking awesome and it should be on the list.
Don't forget F-14 Tomcat, either. God damn, that game looks brutal.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Just played Space Shuttle on PSV very briefly. Fun, but I have some things elsewhere to work on.

That leaderboards bug where you can't see your friends?

STILL. FRICKING. THERE.

Jebus. I don't even.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Is it there on the PS3 version?

Getting the ORBS and 1234 drop targets in Centuar was easier than I thought they would be.

Happy they got the Season 2 pass out there, picked up the eight available tables. Looks like the next two are Flight 2000 and Tee'd Off -- somebody on the "official" forums noticed that the icon for the Season 2 pass on PSN contains mini pictures of the tables thus released and includes what looks like Tee'd Off to the right of Flight 2000. Though I'm not sure how that jibes with the clue. So maybe it will be Goin' Nuts.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Is it there on the PS3 version?
About to find out, I hope. Just finished downloading BF3, WW/SS tables, SotC, and GT Academy demo... took forever to install everything. :|

Edit: Yes, looks to still be broken on PS3 too. Dadgummit.

Oddly, I can see exactly one friend's score on TotAN. :|

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Happy they got the Season 2 pass out there, picked up the eight available tables. Looks like the next two are Flight 2000 and Tee'd Off -- somebody on the "official" forums noticed that the icon for the Season 2 pass on PSN contains mini pictures of the tables thus released and includes what looks like Tee'd Off to the right of Flight 2000. Though I'm not sure how that jibes with the clue. So maybe it will be Goin' Nuts.
Tee'd Off had a production run of 3,500, according to the IPDB. I don't think it's that one. Goin' Nuts was never put into production. That's why I'm convinced it's that one.

Besides, the wacky golf theme was covered with No Good Gofers.

vg260

Yeah, so I went to the beercade yesterday. Kind of a bummer about their pinball machines though. I mean, I imagine being a bar they probably get treated pretty rough, but a lot of them were in pretty bad shape. At least everything was set to free play.

They don't keep most of their games in good shape there, unfortunately.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm going to shoot an e-mail to FS and see if I can get some credit for the purchases I made before the season packs became available for the PSN version. I do have my receipts, although my Gmail search won't go back too far for some reason.

Back to TPA discussion, the PSN store got Table Pack 13 and the Season 2 pass today. Downloading the Season 2 pass also gave me Table Pack 14, even though I don't see it in the store ATM. I'll email FS and ask them if I can get credit back for downloading Table Packs 1-12 separately.

What what what?! Table Pack 14, too? I didn't get the season pack for some stupid reason and picked up the WW/SS pack, but I now cannot start it in the Season 2 list nor is it in 'My Tables' list after purchase and update. Urrgh.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
What what what?! Table Pack 14, too? I didn't get the season pack for some stupid reason and picked up the WW/SS pack, but I now cannot start it in the Season 2 list nor is it in 'My Tables' list after purchase and update. Urrgh.
Buying the Season 2 pass gives you early access to PinBot and Centuar.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Okay, I'm gonna prove how stupid I am by purchasing the S2 pass though I've already bought three of the first packs on it.
Table Pack 14 is available to the rest of PSN next week, btw.

You can try to talk to FS about getting credit for what you got already, like I did, but the email I was provided didn't work. I have to dig and see what it really is.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Well, that bug I found in Cirqus Voltaire reared its ugly head again in Centaur. I completed two standard goals while I had multiball activated, drained all my balls quickly, and didn't get another ball in the plunger. Luckily enough, I was smart enough to quit out of that game, induce a forced save by fiddling with the controller options, and got my progress saved.

So, right now, I'm 4/5 standard goals on Centaur, PinBot, and Whitewater, and 3/5 on Space Shuttle. Whoever put those drop targets in Space Shuttle I need to light the jet bumpers where I just can't hit them is on my shit list.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Anyone else seeing a lot of stutter/framerate drops in the PS3 version with Space Shuttle? I haven't tried other tables since the patch, so maybe it's a problem for more than that one table...

Shaneus

So, right now, I'm 4/5 standard goals on Centaur, PinBot, and Whitewater, and 3/5 on Space Shuttle. Whoever put those drop targets in Space Shuttle I need to light the jet bumpers where I just can't hit them is on my shit list.
Are they the targets you *might* hit if you shoot the ball in that middle lane? Ugh, fucking hate them too.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Are they the targets you *might* hit if you shoot the ball in that middle lane? Ugh, fucking hate them too.
Exactly. I might get a better glance at them if I shake the table at the right time, but seriously, that should be a wizard goal, to get all three jet bumpers lighted.

Yeah those three drop targets in that lane on SS are seriously hard. I'm also for some reason struggling with getting 100 jets in Mars -- I must just suck at hitting the two lanes that lead to it. Good at destroying saucers, though. =/

joeblow

Wow, the patch to optionally turn off event camera on the PS3 is a nice improvement! I can't believe that they didn't allow this sooner.

It really helps me on certain tables since event cameras sometimes screws up the game's logic and caused glitches. I can also more easily follow the action without waiting for the camera to switch back to normal.

I just got what I think is a glitch in the Vita version of Scared Stiff. I started my second ball so it hit the crate to activate the Crate multiball (as I've hit the crate a bit on the first one) but also went into the skill shot hole, so I had Crate multiball when I shouldn't have, since the ball didn't fall into the crate. The game kinda got screwy when one of the balls got in the spider hole so the spider wheel was spinning but I couldn't hit the other ball since the flipper stops the spider. So the second ball drained, got my spider bonus prize (laboratory hit bonus) and the multiball came back. After that I ended up draining the second ball a little later, didn't come back as I expected that it would stay drained that time.

Pretty weird.

Shaneus

Wow, the patch to optionally turn off event camera on the PS3 is a nice improvement! I can't believe that they didn't allow this sooner.

It really helps me on certain tables since event cameras sometimes screws up the game's logic and caused glitches. I can also more easily follow the action without waiting for the camera to switch back to normal.
That's the reason they included it in the first place, so that any new tables that might have issues can bypass that issue. I don't think it was a general in-game user preference thing, funnily enough!

Top Bottom