• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

Bowen Kerins (who does all the awesome tutorials on pinball.org and won PAPA this year!) Reddit AMA. I haven't read it, but I'm sure it's good.

Also, I'd like to give a push for you all to listen to the Coast 2 Coast Pinball podcast. It's done by a guy who has a real love for pinball, but without a focus on things like technicalities of machines and that sort of jazz... just from a dude who loves pinball and while travelling for his job (coast-to-coast across the US, hence the name) plays them where and when he can.

He also has his adorable-as-hell sounding girlfriend on there every so often to talk about her impressions of some machines too. But largely, it's just him... which is good, because it doesn't mean people talk over each other, the topic doesn't flip flop or anything and has a really good ASMR-ish voice, too.

Seriously, I cannot recommend it enough. It's short (40 mins or so each ep) but he records it usually every three or four days or so (which is great).

Shaneus

Holy shit, this is insane. I was looking up pinball things in my hometown (Geelong, near Melbourne in Australia) and found this guy doing pinball restorations. Like, REALLY good ones. I was reading up on this T2 restoration and it turns out (not a commissioned quote, mind you) that the man Steve Ritchie had something to say about it!
"I am marveling at how great your T2 restoration (PLUS!!) looks! It is magnificent.
The chrome on everything looks top notch, and the level of detail is astounding!
This is one of the finest restorations I have ever seen, and I will heartily recommend your work! Fantastic!"

So a little bit of Steve Ritchie has found it's way to my little ol' city. Bit stoked!

Gonna get in touch with the guy who runs it, see if they sell anything or if I could have a walk around or something. Hell, it's a Saturday, might even pop down and say "hi".

PS. This restoration of Pinbot is *insane*.
http://www.pinballrestoration.com.au/

Shaneus

Oh god.

So I was on that forum, and noticed a guy (his avatar is a registered license plate "PINWIZ") who's from my city and he services (I think?) pinballs. Tells me that there aren't any of his machines on location in Geelong, but he does tell me about the only table he has for sale... a High Speed. For $1800AU.

I think that's a good price. But man, it's a Steve Ritchie table, Bowen Kerins owned one, it was used in Pinburgh a few years back (ergo, good table for tournament practice) and I suspect it will hold it's value pretty well.

What say you, PinGAF? I kinda don't have the room for it, but I could probably make some with a bit of creative furniture shuffling.

Edit: I meant to ask, did anyone else's T2 (on iOS) disappear, then appear but ask you to download it again? I guess they've updated the table and are expecting to see the app update that coincides with it any second. Weird. (Update: I went to "download owned" and it's now downloading my TNG table that I got from KS as well. Bizarre.)

Shaneus

Do it, at that price you'd probably be kicking yourself if you passed that deal up. What condition is it in?
I think so too, especially considering that when I told my (30-ish pinball owning mate) about it and showed him the pictures, he said "The way you were telling me, I thought it was far worse than the photos" and even though there were 17,000 made, he reckons VERY few made their way to Australia (he'd seen WAY more Getaways for sale than HS').

He obviously seems like a guy who wouldn't fuck around with a machine unless he knew what he was doing. I mean, look at the tables he has that he *isn't* selling (pic 3).

Oh, and to satiate your side of things ;)
Q. Do you have other pinballs at home besides the ones you've designed? What's your favourite machine that you didn't design?

I have one of every game that I designed at home. That takes up a large amount of space!

My favourite machine besides my games is High Speed by the great Steve Ritchie.
And what Dwight Sullivan said:
Soon after this Steve sold me his copy of High Speed. I was thrilled because High Speed was the game that got me into pinball and to this day is a jewel in my small collection.

Vyse24

Newsletter is out! Here's the preview pic:
QYxpGpk.jpg

Victory is definitely one of them. What's the other?

Shaneus

Well, I think Victory was promised before, so that may be the one.

And congrats on the pickup, Shaneus. :)
Thanks! Only thing I'm not digging about that photo is the rails aren't as "chromey" as I'd like. Maybe they just need a bit of brass/silver polisher or whatever. But I played it last night, and it plays REALLY good. So excite.

Edit: According to some sleuthing on PAF, it could be this. Damnit, I just want more Ritchie games on there :(

Minsc

Gold Member
I've been out of the loop for a while. I remember this got greenlit. did they ever give a rough timeline for a release date on Steam?

The beta's underway, many people have it. Release could be anywhere from a week or two to a month or two I'd guess.

Shaneus

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they were shooting for October and they're still sticking to that, but there's a LOT of polishing that needs to be done before it can be released properly. Some of the biggest things (graphics bugs, like the Taxi ramps being different colours, post-processing is applied at a much lower res than it should) are yet to be fixed.

TBH the post-processing, low-resness aside, still looks overdone and kind of crap. I still don't prefer the colours even without it, so I wound up creating my own filter that mutes the colours a little. Adds a little lag, but IMO is easy to accommodate for when it looks *that* much better.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Thanks! Only thing I'm not digging about that photo is the rails aren't as "chromey" as I'd like. Maybe they just need a bit of brass/silver polisher or whatever. But I played it last night, and it plays REALLY good. So excite.

Edit: According to some sleuthing on PAF, it could be this. Damnit, I just want more Ritchie games on there :(
Quite a few people requested Class of 1812 in one of the fan polls on PAF, so I ain't even mad. Maybe they're saving High Speed for pack 20 to end Season 2 on a high note.

Shaneus

Quite a few people requested Class of 1812 in one of the fan polls on PAF, so I ain't even mad. Maybe they're saving High Speed for pack 20 to end Season 2 on a high note.
I know people are thinking of doing "sequels" packs, with one suggestion being HS and HS2... I can't remember the other one. But IMO rather than put in two very similar games, they should put the two older ones in one pack, then when they enjoy those they'll get them to buy the DMD pack :D

Given the innovations, I'd be very surprised if we don't see HS in the next (non-teased) pack or two. Since I realised I'd be getting one, I looked up what it pioneered:
First pinball to play a complete song.
First Williams pinball game to use alpha-numeric displays.
First use of Auto Percentaging (for replay scores).
First Jackpot available only during multiball.
First use of broken switch compensation programming.
First SS game with operator report.

Not fuggin' bad! This one also comes with new "PinScore" displays to replace the old ones which currently go for $200 new. So that's some extra bonus!

I'm getting a bit more excited now... I noticed that it's coming with black rubbers so I've ordered basically completely new ones for everything (including the flippers which are already red, but new ones still wouldn't go astray) and a new plunger spring. Oh, and shiny new balls ;)

Edit: I ain't even mad about poll results either. Without them, I would've completely missed out on Centaur. And 1812 doesn't look *that* bad from some of the footage I've seen, so it should be interesting if nothing else.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Any news on the 360 situation? I'm so pissed, I have about 4000 MS points points rotting in there. I had 8000 amd with time passing I used half of them, don't want to waste the remaining 4000 unless I know there's no more tables coming. Is it plausible at this point to think that they'll never actually release new DLC packs?

The only reason I'm still interested in the 360 sku is because:

1) My PS3 and my HTPC are hooked up to a projector with a 110+" screen, same will happen to the PS4, an having to turn on my entertainment set-up is not ideal just for a game or two of pinball.
2) I plan to retire my 360 to make it just a dedicated shmups (Cave & co) and pinball machine hooked up to its on TATE set-up.
3) I have an iPad Mini and many table have iffy an framerate on that device, TOTAN is unplayable for example. I also miss the "physicality" of real triggers a proper controller gives me.

Also even if I weren't to sell my PS3 I noticed lag in the little I've played, maybe I'm crazy but it didn't seem nearly as responsive as the 360 port.

Also, is it possible to arrange a portrait/Tate set-up on the console's versions now, similar to iOS/Android?

Vyse24

Haven't heard anything for the 360. I just know that Fillpoint is still in court and they to file some applications for compensation for a few groups. Us 360 owners might not see the tables coming this year.

Shaneus

I haven't seen anything mentioned of the 360 one for a while either. Last I ever read was when FS were mistaken about the open indie publishing thing being for both platforms, not just One.

Sorry dude :(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I primarily play portable stuff...Should I invest more into the iOS or Vita version of this? Anyone have an opinion one way or another?

jvm

Gamasutra.
I primarily play portable stuff...Should I invest more into the iOS or Vita version of this? Anyone have an opinion one way or another?
I have played a little of the Android version on a Kindle Fire HD, and hundreds of hours on the PSV. I would never get a version without real buttons. Just my opinion.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have played a little of the Android version on a Kindle Fire HD, and hundreds of hours on the PSV. I would never get a version without real buttons. Just my opinion.

Thanks - I'm charging my Vita now. I feel like a lack of buttons IS hindering my enjoyment a little, ha.

Vyse24

Does anyone here happen to have Dream Pinball 3D on Steam? I got a coupon via badge crafting to get it for only a buck and I was wondering if it was worth it.

Shaneus

I have my High Speed! Had a good number of games on there with a mate yesterday, plays REALLY well. It's a tough bastard, too... in the audit menu I can see it's had 211 minutes playtime since last reset, with an average ball time of 28 seconds. Brutal.

But thankfully, I can set it to 9 balls per game :D

Sad thing is, I have no idea why but the slingshots and pop bumpers refuse to fire now. So I have a multimeter which I'm going to attack it with tonight. Hopefully it's easily fixed.

Great game, though. I hope it appears on TPA sooner rather than later so everyone can enjoy it (and it bumps up the price of mine ;) ). I highly recommend everyone get their own machine. I don't know if there's much difference between one you love and one that's just okay, but having one in my single-bedroom unit is just heaven (once I get it up and running properly, give it a bit of a clean etc.).

jvm

Gamasutra.
Shaneus, I'm so happy to see you with a table. That's great. :D :D :D

I am sorry you had your PSN account attacked. I lost the thread on that ... did you get it resolved? :(

Shaneus

Shaneus, I'm so happy to see you with a table. That's great. :D :D :D

I am sorry you had your PSN account attacked. I lost the thread on that ... did you get it resolved? :(
:D
Unfortunately the table's fairly dirty and a *tiny* bit worn in a few spots (but not as much as you'd think, it's actually pretty damn good) so I've been on the hunt for a good cleaner that won't strip the thing bare (from what I understand, Novus 2 is the go-to thing for most people, but I think that's only suggested for diamond-plate playfields) as it still looks a little grotty. But plays fantastically! Ungh.

And I fixed that problem I mentioned, too... just a fuse that went for some reason. Oh, and I have some new rubbers on the way. The game is brutal enough as it is, but it's only using black rubbers right now... I have some white ones on the way, by which time I think my head will explode full of fuck. Can't wait ;) Thinking about LEDs too, especially for the backglass and the pop bumpers... a mate said the pops can get pretty warm and I can feel the heat from the backglass. Probably backglass first, because that's the first thing to start flaking and at the moment it's still in surprisingly good condition. It's from Germany too, so the default message is something like "Run the red lights, at High Speed!" but in German, bahaha.

Not resolved yet, called them up and just waiting to hear back from someone. Could be a support person, could be a billing person. Hoping for the latter, because that means I'll get reimbursed (and there's no way I shouldn't).

jvm

Gamasutra.
Terminator 2 finally on my vita. Such a great table.
Where is my coooooooooooode Farsight? :( :( :(

Edit: Oh ho ho. There it is. Mwahahahahahaha.

Too bad my PS3 is still installing 14GB of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning for the last 15 minutes...jebus, Sony. We can do better than this.

Top Bottom