• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Ooooh TPA cabinet -- depending on price I'm on board. Who is manufacturing it? Awesome news, can't wait for pics!

Yeah, the PC version (and really, all of them) need a ton of polish in the UI / flow area. Man if only they could borrow some of Zen's expertise in that area...

FS said that they built their cab in-house.

FoxSpirit

Do pinball machines do well in a garage that's not climate controlled? We have a 3-car garage and the one side is used to store the lawnmower, my tools, and my dartboard. It'd be pretty rad to one day put a pinball machine or an arcade machine out there, ha.

Of course, finding one I liked/wanted would be another story, but if I at least knew I could store it out there, that would be easier to convince my wife.
Depends on humidity and what the lowest temperature is.

Shaneus

Class of 1812 and Victory are up on Android (and presumably iOS) now. Never heard of these tables.
Here's what you need to know: They're alpha-numerics, but they're not by Williams. Victory is actually pretty good though, 1812 is just weird. Neither play that well compared to other machines from the era.

I haven't actually played either in person, but both have been available in the TPA beta on PC for a few days.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ooooh TPA cabinet -- depending on price I'm on board. Who is manufacturing it? Awesome news, can't wait for pics!

Yeah, the PC version (and really, all of them) need a ton of polish in the UI / flow area. Man if only they could borrow some of Zen's expertise in that area...

Depending on how they do it, I think I'm just going to build my own virtual cabinet.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Sorry to thread crash but - have there been any previews or hands-on with the PS4 version yet? Is it confirmed to be a day one release?
It's a day one release, yes.

The newsletter is out. The Steam version officially launches November 1st. Table Packs 1-18 will be available at launch.

As for the hint, one of the games has to be El Dorado: City of Gold. High Speed will have to wait until season 3, sadly.

Vyse24

El Dorado: City of Gold. Here's the preview pic:
vwLWBFk.jpg

BTW, the newsletter also brings up that online head-to-head is coming soon.

AcridMeat

Banned
Oh, it's launched?!? Man, buying both seasons is going to be PAINFUL.

I hope they've fixed the colouring on some of the tables. Taxi should NOT look that ugly :(

Edit: Never mind, just testing the payment system. For some reason, despite emailing them T2 STILL doesn't show up as me having bought it, despite it supposedly being linked to my FS account :/ Table assets on most games are still wonky as hell, too. Two Taxi ramps are different colours and the textures on 1812's playfield looks like arse compared to the ramp signage.

Hope they polish the hell out of it before it's released (any day now, afaik).
What's the best email to use to contact them about my TNG PC version? (I never got my PS3 version either but that's not as pressing at this point).

Shaneus

What's the best email to use to contact them about my TNG PC version? (I never got my PS3 version either but that's not as pressing at this point).
You should see it as it showed up for everyone in the beta... every title before T2 is visible to everyone who has access to said beta.

Um... I suspect it may be support@farsightstudios.com? But like I said, you should be able to get access to the PC one already.

Also, log into their website. That's how I got the Steam beta code and my T2 PS3 code.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If another forum I frequent is accurate, then the PC version will offer the pro version of Tales of the Arabian Nights for free, and the other three core pack tables will be sold for $9.

Pricing for the season passes and individual table packs will remain the same- $30 for season passes, $40 for pro season passes, $5 for table packs, $8 for pro table packs, $4 for pro upgrades.

My Steam wallet is not ready- only enough for the core pack and one pro season pass. Maybe the season 2 pro pass, I want to check out Tee'd Off and see how it compares to No Good Gofers.

BTW, the newsletter also brings up that online head-to-head is coming soon.
Online head-to-head multiplayer? Will we see the Joust pinball, then?

Shaneus

That's... odd. I'd have thought something like:
* 4 original tables to limited scores as demo
* 4 original tables at base price $X for full titles
* Seasons 1, 2 etc. blah whatever.

Shaneus

Someone mentioned above it was EBD.

I like that we're having some of these more obscure tables... I hope we get that Miami Vice ripoff and something like Genesis. Weird, but great.

But damnit, I want more System 11! Big Guns, High Speed, F-14, Road Kings...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
That's... odd. I'd have thought something like:
* 4 original tables to limited scores as demo
* 4 original tables at base price $X for full titles
* Seasons 1, 2 etc. blah whatever.
I believe all the tables aside from Arabian Nights will have a free demo like the iOS version.

Cue Ball Wizard looks good, but Eight Ball Deluxe is more recognizable and there might be some Gottlieb fatigue setting in.

Shaneus

Oh god, I've just had the *best* idea. I don't know how many of you have played High Speed, but I've thought of the best theme conversion for it. Just like Johnny Mnemonic could get converted to The Matrix (which are both similar), I think High Speed could get converted to... OutRun.

There's definitely room for an extended ruleset to be made. Rather than just have Green/Amber/Red traffic lights, have a way to decide which "route" to take, then shoot the loop and have the diverter direct the ball to whichever path you chose on the Outrun "map" (maybe have this as a P-ROC DMD-based title? Or just regular S11 display).

Music could just use the original music from the game as I believe the System 11 and original Outrun arcade machine are the same (but even if the music isn't synthesized, at least the music will kinda match the vintage of the game).

Maybe have the kickback as the gear changer, so rather than have a gear changer like HS2, it requires some modicum of skill to change gears and increase speed (whatever impact that might have on the game). Only enable it when you need to change gears, so whenever you don't it just drains.

Plus, you'd have the benefit of being able to use the vast majority of the playfield artwork.

Fuck, I want to start drawing/planning this out. Then maybe modifying/creating something in Visual PinMAME.

Minsc

Gold Member
Updated the OP with the new table pack 19 banners, Steam info, and table pack 20 hints:

- Upcoming Table Pack #20 hint / guesses for November: Image Hint | El Dorado: City of Gold (Gottlieb, 1984) & Eight Ball Deluxe (Bally, 1980)
- Steam public release November 1st.

a0To27k.jpg

yCOWymz.jpg

Definitely seeing a ton of Gottlieb now, if the next tables include another, we'll have 5 Gottlieb in the last 6 releases come table pack 20. Hopefully Season 2 wraps up on a high note, and with the release on Steam and PS4 they tune up some existing tables and we see some fun tables in Season 3.

Any guesses/wishes for the next ~20 tables? My two most wanted atm are probably Fish Tales and Addams Family, hate me all you want for the DMDs Shaneus :p

Shaneus

Any guesses/wishes for the next ~20 tables? My two most wanted atm are probably Fish Tales and Addams Family, hate me all you want for the DMDs Shaneus :p
Yay, you mentioned me!

Here's the thing: Over the last 6-12 months, I've learned a LOT about the extent of the depth of most of the DMD tables. I've also learned that there's a lot that's the same about most of them (sans slightly different order of hitting targets, stacking multiballs/jackpots etc.) too. So I'm now less opposed to DMD games now than I was then... although having said that, it's made me a lot more tuned about how alike some/most of them are (I still think MB/MM/TotAN/AfM have essentially the same ruleset).

And moreso, a greater appreciation for (most) alphanumeric/System 11 titles. Because they have less to display on their... displays... they have to do more across the rest of the game to differentiate themselves (which is why IMO they tend to have more "character" to them). That, and for that kind of retro chic they offer. They toe that line of looking like the HUD in the DeLorean from BttF ;)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Hm, it looks like El Dorado, with 905 units produced, will be third on the rarest TPA tables list, behind Cactus Canyon (903) and Goin' Nuts (10). I wonder if we're going to see ultra-rare tables in season 3...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Unrelated, I finally started trying to learn how to play Ripley's from Season 1...And I love it. Some of the shots are really poorly designed, but now that I know what to do, it's a really fun table.

I also decided to boot up Zen Pinball 2 on my Vita and download and try Pinball FX2 off of Steam. Both of those have neat tables, but the nudging is SO poorly implemented. On top of that, I really don't like the ball physics at all. If they were able to replicate the Pinball Arcade physics in Zen and FX2, I'd be in heaven - real tables or fantasy tables always available.

Instead, I'll just start working on my VirtualPin cabinet, ha.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Come to think of it, there are a lot of billiards themed pinball games. I'm sticking with Eight Ball Deluxe as my guess, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was the aforementioned Cue Ball Wizard, or Sharkey's Shootout, or Eight Ball Champion, or Stern Nine Ball...

Recently bought a new PS3 and, man, the act of getting all of the tables back into TPA was a pain in the butt, unless I missed something fundamental. I had to go to the store, download all of them again, install them, and clean up the PSVita ones that were also downloaded due to crossbuy.

Shaneus

Woo! I shouldn't be celebrating, but John McVie of Fleetwood Mac has been diagnosed with cancer, ergo their Australian tour has been cancelled, ergo I can compete in the state finals unfettered! Yay!

Sucks for him, but... FINALS!

Minsc

Gold Member
From what I can tell the PC version will be free and include Tales of Arabian Nights. Maybe you can't pre-order free things on Steam?

If you go back to the OP you can see how the tables break in to Core Pack, Season 1 and Season 2 if you need a refresher for the following; the remaining Core Pack tables will be $8.99 (Black Hole, Ripley's and Theatre), Season 1 will be $29.99 and Season 2 will be $39.99. A single Table Pack (ie Table Pack 12) will be $4.99, $7.99 for a Pro Table Pack, and $3.99 for a Pro Upgrade. What I saw in this thread at PAF anyway.

From what I can tell the PC version will be free and include Tales of Arabian Nights. Maybe you can't pre-order free things on Steam?

If you go back to the OP you can see how the tables break in to Core Pack, Season 1 and Season 2 if you need a refresher for the following; the remaining Core Pack tables will be $8.99 (Black Hole, Ripley's and Theatre), Season 1 will be $29.99 and Season 2 will be $39.99. A single Table Pack (ie Table Pack 12) will be $4.99, $7.99 for a Pro Table Pack, and $3.99 for a Pro Upgrade. What I saw in this thread at PAF anyway.

it's going to be so good buying all of these at once. sure, I'm waiting to do it on the 15th on the PS4 version, but still. that's what you get when you wait over a year to start buying DLC again. i'll be checking out the PC version, naturally.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

I think the remaining core pack tables are also in the season 1 packs, iirc.

Something I just posted on TPA forums, maybe you all have noticed it / know what is up (PS3 version, of course):

Anybody noticing anything odd with the flippers on Haunted House? If I catch just the edge of the bumpers (so, left edge of left bumper, right edge of right bumper) just the primary flippers trigger. I have to squarely hit the bumper for the corresponding secondary flippers (plus primary flipper) to trigger. It's a bit annoying as I typically don't hit the bumpers square in the middle.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Man Central Park is so nostalgic. Growing up my parents had a Hearts and Spades machine in our basement based on the exact same hardware, so all of the bells and chimes sound identical

Sadly the one at home is in disrepair now. I keep meaning to pay for its repair as a Christmas present one year...as soon as I'm no longer paying tuition...

Something I just posted on TPA forums, maybe you all have noticed it / know what is up (PS3 version, of course):

Anybody noticing anything odd with the flippers on Haunted House? If I catch just the edge of the bumpers (so, left edge of left bumper, right edge of right bumper) just the primary flippers trigger. I have to squarely hit the bumper for the corresponding secondary flippers (plus primary flipper) to trigger. It's a bit annoying as I typically don't hit the bumpers square in the middle.

Sorry to self-quote, but turns out there is a newly added (in the past little while) option that will turn off this newly-added behavior and restore it to the original behavior.

Shaneus

Any word on if the PS4/Vita packs are cross-play? That'd be enough for me to consider holding off on any table packs for PS4. That'll reduce my potential purchasing platforms to three: PC, iOS and PS4/Vita.

Yeah, that'd be a bummer -- my most anticipated launch title lol.
With Driveclub delayed, it's literally the only title I'd consider getting a PS4 at launch for. I'd imagine it'd be a decent blow to them, moreso if there'll be another pinball game at launch (I think Pinball FX may be on there? I dunno).

Shaneus

So, perhaps we know what will be in the next next pack?

smbhax said:
They just dropped what may be a pack 21 Fish Tales hint on Facebook:
Efrain Rosario For the love of god when will fish tales be released : (
The Pinball Arcade It may be sooner than you think... none of the clues in the newsletter seemed to point to november, however :)

I have no problem with Fish Tales, but now that I own High Speed, it's all I want to see on there. I almost literally cannot stop playing it, so if I can play it on a portable device, all the better. With any luck, they'll go the DMD+pre-DMD SS (ie. alpha-numeric) package once more and grant us with both. After all, it's still one of the highest selling machines of all time... and groundbreaking, too.

Also, some more info from PAF on PC pricing:
You've been waiting for it.... and now, FarSight is proud to announce that all Steam users will be able to purchase The Pinball Arcade for themselves on November 1st, 2013!

The Pinball Arcade will be FREE! to download with Tales of the Arabian Nights unlocked for unlimited play plus all other tables will be available in demo mode.

NOTE : All purchases will be handled strictly within The Pinball Arcade and you will be required to add funds to your steam wallet for all in-game purchases. Individual table purchases will not be available. You will not be required to create and log into a FarSight account to make in-game purchases. A FarSight account will only be required for leaderboards and Kickstarter rewards.

The following will be available for purchase at launch :

Three Table Core Add-On Pack : $8.99

Table Add-On Packs #1 -#18 : $4.99 (per Table Pack)

Pro Table Add-On Packs #1 - #18 (each individual Table Add-On Pack includes their corresponding Pro Upgrades) : $7.99 (per Pro Table Pack)

Season One Table Pack (includes the Three Table Core Add-On Pack plus Table Add-On Packs #1 - #10) : $29.99

Season One Pro Pack (includes the Three Table Core Add-On Pack, Table Add-On Packs #1 - #10 plus all available Pro Versions of the aforementioned Table Packs) : $39.99

Season Two Table Pack (includes Table Add-On Packs #11 - #20) : $39.99

Season Two Pro Pack (includes Table Add-On Packs #11 - #20 plus all available Pro Versions of the aforementioned Table Packs) : $49.99

Pro Upgrades :

Pro Version gives you exclusive access to the Pro Menu which features the Operator's Menu, Ball Control, Tilt Meter, Table Exploration and IFPA Pro Tips.

• Attack from Mars Pro Upgrade : $3.99
• Cactus Canyon Pro Upgrade : $3.99
• Dr. Dude Pro Upgrade : $3.99
• Medieval Madness Pro Upgrade : $3.99
• Pin•Bot Pro Upgrade : $3.99
• Scared Stiff Pro Upgrade : $3.99
• Star Trek : The Next Generation Pro Upgrade : $4.99
• Tales of the Arabian Nights Pro Upgrade : $1.99
• Tee'd Off Pro Upgrade : $3.99
• Terminator 2 : Judgment Day Pro Upgrade : $4.99
• Twilight Zone Pro Upgrade : $4.99
• White Water Pro Upgrade : $3.99
• Table Add-On Pack #15 Pro Upgrade (includes both The Champion Pub and Whirlwind Pro Upgrades) : $3.99
• Table Add-On Pack #16 Pro Upgrade (includes both Flight 2000 and Goin' Nuts Pro Upgrades) : $3.99

Custom Balls :

• Eye Ball (includes 1 custom ball) : $0.99
• Season 1 Ball Pack (includes 20 custom balls) : $1.99
• Star Trek Ball Pack (includes 3 custom balls) : $0.99
• Terminator 2 Ball Pack (includes 3 custom balls) : $0.99
• Twilight Zone Ball (includes 1 custom ball) : $0.99

I don't know if that's cheaper than the other platforms, but I have a feeling it is. $30 each season *seems* like it's damn cheap. And for those proces, I'd be inclined to get the pro packs just so I can disable family mode in certain games (hi Elvira!) and muck around with it a bit.

I'm really, REALLY happy with those prices. No problems double/triple-dipping in the slightest. Especially considering that included in those will be (in the future) the ability to use them all on virtual pinball tables (I would assume).

Any word on if the PS4/Vita packs are cross-play? That'd be enough for me to consider holding off on any table packs for PS4. That'll reduce my potential purchasing platforms to three: PC, iOS and PS4/Vita.

I've asked on Pinball Arcade Fans, but no one knows. I really hope so, since the Vita matches up with the PS4 better than it does the PS3, but I'm not counting on it.

I'd really like the tables all on my vita, but I'm not going to buy them all twice to achieve such a thing.

vg260

I've asked on Pinball Arcade Fans, but no one knows. I really hope so, since the Vita matches up with the PS4 better than it does the PS3, but I'm not counting on it.

I'd really like the tables all on my vita, but I'm not going to buy them all twice to achieve such a thing.

In that interview linked above, it was stated that the PS4 is considered a different platform than the PS3/Vita, at least in terms of purchasing. :(

Top Bottom