• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

Last Christmas was spectacular. Loved it!

Still can't figure out if I like Super Mario Run or not. Definitely don't hate it, but I also am not exactly playing it a ton. Happily spent the $10 though, because I love Nintendo.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Haha--I just heard the part where Ethan accuses Greg of being hyperbolic for saying the game isn't worth $10... when minutes earlier he praised Nintendo for not trying to bilk the vulnerable masses out of thousands of dollars. That wasn't at all hyperbolic. :p

LiK

Haha--I just heard the part where Ethan accuses Greg of being hyperbolic for saying the game isn't worth $10... when minutes earlier he praised Nintendo for not trying to bilk the vulnerable masses out of thousands of dollars. That wasn't at all hyperbolic. :p

Yea, fun discussion. Got pretty heated.

Yeah when I listened to his track I could not stop laughing because he took it way more seriously than the rest of us.)
you guys need to let loose like Einhorn instead of singing under your breath like you're worried someone's going to come in the room and laugh at you... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4WmXKk8oVs (obviously this doesn't apply to Phil)

glad to see this christmas tradition has continued, though!

That game is definitely not worth $10. It's also not very fun.

The conversation gets weird when two of the participants are in the mobile business. I don't really give a good goddamn if SMR is a "mobile success story"--that doesn't do anything for me.

Also, comparing the price to "two lattes at Starbuck's" (as I've heard many people do) is beyooooooooooooooond idiotic.
I remember when it was "for just 99 cents a day or the price of a cup of coffee you could do ____." Now it's "for just the price of two fair trade hemp mocha lattes a day, you could do ____".

the coffee comparisons need to end

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you

The conversation gets weird when two of the participants are in the mobile business. I don't really give a good goddamn if SMR is a "mobile success story"--that doesn't do anything for me.

Also, comparing the price to "two lattes at Starbuck's" (as I've heard many people do) is beyooooooooooooooond idiotic.

I miss Mike.

SuperPac

I was hoping Super Mario Run would at least open some consumers up to paying a premium price for a game again. It didn't do that, plus it's a little too pricey.

But also

I miss Mike.

I almost missed the Christmas song because I listened on youtube yesterday. Glad the thread reminded me!

People have been telling people to skip their coffee purchase for a decade or more. If they haven't skipped it yet they never will

mik

mik is unbeatable
To me, the comparison breaks down when you recognize that if there were a coffee shop next door to Starbuck's that offered free or 99¢ lattes (that were, by the way, better), I'd buy my coffee there.

mik

mik is unbeatable
I was hoping Super Mario Run would at least open some consumers up to paying a premium price for a game again.

I think people will pay a premium price (I'm a cheap bastard, and I know I will)--for a premium game. I did not get the sense from the trial that SMR was any more "premium" than Jetpack Joyride or Bit Trip Runner or ...

stewy

btw. Playing to unlock more options/features isnt some weird new f2p scheme but has been part of regular console since the beginning. I understood the price point issue and the online/piracy prevention sucks for many customers - but having to "play" the game to unlock or expand extra modes is pretty much every Nintendo game.Unless im missing something here.

Simply playing to unlock is one thing. Playing to unlock combined with at least three different sorts of currency which are used to access particular bits that you've had to play to unlock...very F2P. That's my issue.

stewy

I think people will pay a premium price (I'm a cheap bastard, and I know I will)--for a premium game. I did not get the sense from the trial that SMR was any more "premium" than Jetpack Joyride or Bit Trip Runner or ...

We miss you!

Speaking of Bit Trip Runner, I love me some freebie Go! Go! Commander Video on iOS.

Haven't played enough of SMR to make a call but the tutorially start is a turn off. You gotta jumpstart my mobile gaming to hook me.

Mik, are you still constructing well-managed Jurassic Parks on mobile?

Wow, I had no clue there was a Bit Trip Runner iOS game. Downloading now.

I think Mario Run definitely feels like there was more thought put into its level design then endless runner games like Jetpack Joyride. I do think the Rayman games are more fun though, and they're $3. The competitive Toad mode is fun.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah when I listened to his track I could not stop laughing because he took it way more seriously than the rest of us.

It was pretty great though - dont know if or what you guys did different compared to the last years but it felt more "professional" hah.
I was hoping Super Mario Run would at least open some consumers up to paying a premium price for a game again. It didn't do that, plus it's a little too pricey.
SMR sold quite well and had the biggest AppStore Launch ever - the negative comments or people not wanting to pay for it would have always been there, no mater how much consumers actually bought it.
Simply playing to unlock is one thing. Playing to unlock combined with at least three different sorts of currency which are used to access particular bits that you've had to play to unlock...very F2P. That's my issue.

The use of all the different currencies is your main issue then ? Okay i get that - though is assumes the game was designed that way to combat boredom and have people switch between different modes from time to time.

I rather would want to play to unlock new modes than pay for it thats for sure.

mik

mik is unbeatable
I botched my own joke. Vinegar and water, dumbass. What kind of douche doesn't know what's in a douche?

Episode 429 529: Mario Ran

This week! The last episode of the year (probably). More on Super Mario Run, Dead Rising 4, Picross E7, Star Wars Battlefront Rogue One VR Mission, Switch stuff and so much more. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/12_27_16-Episode529.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/529
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/O4hYBIRTURA
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Oh more Mario Run...should be fun :)
Interested to hear about Dead Rising 4 and Star Wars VR though.

btw. Happy Holidays to the whole Crew !!

Massa

Couple of PSVR drifting tips:

1) make sure you're aligned with the left lense of the camera;

2) unplug the processing box for 10 seconds before playing, then plug it back in.

Those seem to work for me.

Happy holidays to my favorite podcast! :)

Harlock

I guess that Digital Foundry is who going to have more fun with Nintendo Switch, doing a lot of comparison videos between docked and undocked versions.

komplanen

Something really clicked with me last night. After years of not listening to P1P, I think I'm finally coming back. I think I stopped listening somewhere before episode 400.

I'm sorry to hear what happened to Greg last year (
another year not being able to grow eyebrows
) and I hope 2017 will be as exciting for the whole crew as everything bright and loud is to Phil.

dock

Amazing work with the new episode, and the last few weeks have all been fantastic. Thanks so much for recording over the holidays!

Gotta agree with the love for Picross 3D Round 2! Despite the horrible name and price that gives pause it has been a true delight, and I much prefer it to Picross 3D on the DS. It unfortunately has really killed my momentum with Pokemon, whoops.

LiK

Anyone watched the anime? I kind of burnout with teenager characters, but if the history is cool, I can try.

Anime is an adaptation of the first game and cuts out a lot of scenes/inner monologues/endings that I think make the game much more superior. But, still worth a watch if you don't have time for the game. You just need to stick with it. One of the best sci-fi stories ever.

I'm like an episode behind, hearing Stewy mentioning his marriage broke down this year :( I hadn't picked up on that at all this year until he said it :( I've been listening for at least 5 or more years non stop and I wouldn't have noticed anything if you hadn't of said cause you felt pretty much like the same old Stewy. Sorry to hear dude :(

Yeah, I wanted to give my best wishes to Greg as well. I have a bit of experience with these sorts of situations, and I truly hope he's doing okay.

All things must pass away.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yeah, I didnt catch it either before he said it in the last episode. Sorry to hear about it Greg, and best wishes to you!

mik

mik is unbeatable
We're at 50% now. Which, I guess, means that CJ and Phil's marriages are totally safe, statistically. ;)

Top Bottom