• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

Harlock

Holy cow, but Mike is a multi-thounsandaire!

We're all-new Mon, April 10th at 8/7C on @PBS! Sneak peek the hour now & get a deeper look at the creation of an iconic Salt Lake landmark. https://twitter.com/RoadshowPBS/status/850418942111887360/video/1

Hmmmm.

TRA2.jpg

Episode 544: No One Can Stop (The Internet)

This week! We chat about the Xbox Scorpio specs, Atlus’ arcane Persona 5 streaming policies, PaRappa lag, LEGO City, some Zelda and a whole bunch more. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/04_11_17-Episode544.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/544
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/MtcTJu8Ic1Y
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

Over two years ago, in January of 2015, when Mike was still on the show, the Patreon voting for the Game Club was announced.

CJ said this in the forums:
Posted 6 Feb 2015
I've got some ideas to make this different than a normal Game Club. Should be good.

:(

Well, damn. The Game Club thing made me think of the spoiled in 60 minutes episodes, and I wanted to re-listen to The Fanboys episode on Heavy Rain, and I guess that website finally died as well :(

komplanen

That was a great video about the rich genius Mike Philips! I hope he bought all of his family a Switch just to delete his kids' save files a week later :-3

mik

mik is unbeatable
Well, damn. The Game Club thing made me think of the spoiled in 60 minutes episodes, and I wanted to re-listen to The Fanboys episode on Heavy Rain, and I guess that website finally died as well :(

I'll upload that somewhere and provide a link this weekend. Those we always really fun to do.

stewy

I'll upload that somewhere and provide a link this weekend. Those we always really fun to do.

While you're at it you should upload Happy Hollandaise. I went looking for that one recently and was totally bummed that it's gone.

The dynamic of the podcast seems so much different w/o Ethan. He seems like a nice guy, but the switch/vita astroturfing had gotten to absurd levels at points in the last couple months.

Massa

The dynamic of the podcast seems so much different w/o Ethan. He seems like a nice guy, but the switch/vita astroturfing had gotten to absurd levels at points in the last couple months.

That's not what astroturfing means. Also, I get why people get annoyed at Ethan's love of things, but he also played way more games on other platforms than the other guys.

Harlock

Talking about scorpio specs, you should listen the Back in my Play episode with the guy who do DF Retro. Was a great episode.

Episode 545: Big Baby Con

This week! Nintendo doesn’t like money yet they do like money under certain circumstances (NES Classic vs. Switch), Nintendo Direct stuff, self-serve digital refunds for Xbox Live content, the demo that cost Sega some sales, a buncha books you can read about games and so much more. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/04_18_17-Episode545.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/545
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/4Wk5Z90HPrQ
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

Ultima_5

i saw boss baby with my girlf a few weeks ago and that movie had some amazingly creepy scenes. it would have messed me up as a kid.

That's not what astroturfing means. Also, I get why people get annoyed at Ethan's love of things, but he also played way more games on other platforms than the other guys.

I'm well aware of the text book definition, I was insinuating that he might as well be a paid shill with the vita and nintendo hyperbole.

I feel like Ethan is slowly turning Greg into Mike with his hyperbole, it's kind of hilarious.

Greg was on point this week. It's great Phil called him out on his baby hockey tweets. It took me seeing that same picture multiple times on my timeline to put two and two together for those tweets.
also happy mr snipperclippers made a reappearance

The books response was great also. Having only read Console Wars and loving it (and owning Game Over but not having read it yet), I'll definitely have to add some of those other books to my reading list.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Its funny how everyone gotta be extra cynic and down on Nintendo just to counter Ethan enthusiasm.

Best-selling Nintendo hardware launch ever + ridiculous attach rate for Zelda ? Well who cares the kids in my class wont get one or dont wanna pick it up. Minecraft coming to Switch in May and it sold really well on every other console released so far ? Well who cares since it will be more than 7 bucks...right ?

I know why it is happening but ..lol.

About the NES Classic Mini..doubt they made much money with selling these, so i never expected them to have a long shelve live. I could see the revisiting the format and having the system being able to access the eShop so you can purchase further VC games down the line. Without software sales there isnt much benefit of selling these things - esp. if the shelve space could be used for Switch/3DS consoles instead.

PayDay 2 - unless we see more i wouldnt expect anything other than a rushed port job to profit from the limited software choice right now. Switch is also quite a bit weaker than the other systems, so i would expect visual/performance parity with the PS4/One version.

FN-2187

Best-selling Nintendo hardware launch ever + ridiculous attach rate for Zelda ? Well who cares the kids in my class wont get one or dont wanna pick it up. Minecraft coming to Switch in May and it sold really well on every other console released so far ? Well who cares since it will be more than 7 bucks...right ?

I liked Phil's story about his class; it was a great reality check for Ethan thinking today's children want core games and traditional controls. It's the EXACT same situation at my son's school. All of his friends are obsessed with Clash Royale. He is the only one playing Breath of the Wild and that's because I bought it for myself, not because he sought it out or would have even been aware of it.

SuperPac

Any new product, especially a new tech platform or gaming platform, is going to have a road ahead of it past launch where maintaining momentum is going to be key. Yes mobile games and tablets are ubiquitous amongst younger players. That doesn't mean that Switch can't or won't be successful amongst that group - no matter how much anecdotal evidence can be presented either way.

The Switch had a great launch. But at this point you can't compare a platform that's sold 2.4 million units to one that's sold 100+ million and has a super-large free app ecosystem and say whether it can/can't carve out a nice niche for itself.

You guys are ignoring the big numbers Minecraft still does on traditional platforms like PC, consoles, and even the Vita of all things, despite there being a significantly cheaper mobile version. I have no idea why you think the Switch version will be a complete anomaly and horribly bomb. You're overcorrecting for Ethan's enthusiasm.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I liked Phil's story about his class; it was a great reality check for Ethan thinking today's children want core games and traditional controls. It's the EXACT same situation at my son's school. All of his friends are obsessed with Clash Royale. He is the only one playing Breath of the Wild and that's because I bought it for myself, not because he sought it out or would have even been aware of it.
Reality check? I don't know... all Ethan suggested was that the Switch as device has instant appeal for the younger generation that are used playing on mobile/tablet. Much more than other traditional consoles.

Yet it was taken as if he said that the Switch will overtake mobile or Zelda will replace f2p games for those kids. I know it's hard to believe but their are kids love their mobile games and still can have fun with console experiences.

Also Smash Bros. 4 WiiU is the best title in the series.
Any new product, especially a new tech platform or gaming platform, is going to have a road ahead of it past launch where maintaining momentum is going to be key. Yes mobile games and tablets are ubiquitous amongst younger players. That doesn't mean that Switch can't or won't be successful amongst that group - no matter how much anecdotal evidence can be presented either way.

The Switch had a great launch. But at this point you can't compare a platform that's sold 2.4 million units to one that's sold 100+ million and has a super-large free app ecosystem and say whether it can/can't carve out a nice niche for itself.
I agree, but I think it would have made more sense to compare the performance to other consoles or even stuff like the 3DS. Every console look bad when you compare the numbers with the whole mobile market. It doesn't really matter how many years pass.. Switch could have DS like sales and it still would be a small drop of the mobile market when Apple alone sells 100m new phones every year.

stewy

You guys are ignoring the big numbers Minecraft still does on traditional platforms like PC, consoles, and even the Vita of all things, despite there being a significantly cheaper mobile version. I have no idea why you think the Switch version will be a complete anomaly and horribly bomb. You're overcorrecting for Ethan's enthusiasm.

But is it a system seller? I would argue no. That's the angle I was taking in the show. I'm sure it'll sell amazingly to those who already own the Switch. Don't know that it'll move consoles.

No one said it would bomb.

Ondore

It'll do quite good for now, but the big impact will be when it's in stores in say, November. Alongside possibly a Pokemon game.

Sewart was so right about the Blizzard expansion in Forza Horizon 3. As someone who drives quite a bit in snow it's a ton of fun to be able to let loose here. The first event I did puts you in a increasingly bad blizzard with lessening visibility. It is incredible.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, if Nintendo releases a wireless VR platform for the Switch so that you can play VR on the go, will Ethan just evolve into a life form made out of pure energy? lol

Massa

I'm late on this, but I thought it was funny how in this latest episode CJ was making fun of Ethan for comparing LEGO to BOTW. Dude, you did the exact same thing when you started up Horizon right after finishing BOTW. :)

You guys pick on Ethan too much.

Its funny how everyone gotta be extra cynic and down on Nintendo just to counter Ethan enthusiasm.

I know why it is happening but ..lol.
One the one hand, I somewhat understand getting tired of "Nintendo mania" over the past months.

But... does the same happen with "XBox mania" or "Playstation mania"? AKA, how discussion usually plays out in the majority of video game podcasts?

It just sounds really silly when I hear some folks complaining about the Nintendo coverage, when there's a new system doing something consoles haven't done before, along with a game that may legitimately go down as an all-time classic. If people aren't supposed to talk about Nintendo now... when are they supposed to? I'm not spouting off about Nintendo hate or conspiracy theories or that shit; but it just kinda gives a tacky look. It reminds me of the "hey guys, can we talk about real core games" sentiment you'd hear waaaaaaay back about ten years ago.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
One the one hand, I somewhat understand getting tired of "Nintendo mania" over the past months.

But... does the same happen with "XBox mania" or "Playstation mania"? AKA, how discussion usually plays out in the majority of video game podcasts?

It just sounds really silly when I hear some folks complaining about the Nintendo coverage, when there's a new system doing something consoles haven't done before, along with a game that may legitimately go down as an all-time classic. If people aren't supposed to talk about Nintendo now... when are they supposed to? I'm not spouting off about Nintendo hate or conspiracy theories or that shit; but it just kinda gives a tacky look. It reminds me of the "hey guys, can we talk about real core games" sentiment you'd hear waaaaaaay back about ten years ago.

The closest thing to Ethan that I can think of is Shane Mangod Bettenhausen and his insane enthusiasm for anything Sony. Oh, and I remember him being bullish on 3DS saying that Nintendo should pack in Avatar with every console to take advantage of the 3D craze.

What's funny about Ethan is that he just swings to the extreme on any issue. If he's talking about f2p p2w games, they're the cancer that destroys children's lives and are the Donald Trump of video games.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

This isn't a thing that happens. I mean I can't think of a single 'major' podcast that actively fellates those two other console brands in nearly the same manner. (Maybe PS I love you? But I don't listen to it)

If anything, there was a collective disdain among most podcasts when both the Xbox-S and PS4 Pro launched recently(P1P included). Hardly any of them actively espouse the brand potential for Sony and MS unless relevant to new announcements or rumors, but not out of adoration.

Granted, most game discussion is tied to those two machines(and PC) being their majority market share and the weekly content deluge in comparison to Switch, but that is an entirely different thing. I can sympathize with the excitement for a new toy that provides joy, but it is getting ludicrous and the comparison being made isn't really apt.

Top Bottom