• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Playstation Phone is Real [Up: Sony Ericsson Comments, Feb Announce Likely p.919]

jett

D-Member
Probably the smartest avenue for Sony, but is this just a playstation phone, or is in fact what the PSP2 will end up being?

seady

The thing about phone is that people seem to more open to purchase a new one every two years. Sony can release a ton of PS phone in a year and people will welcome it all.

But for some reason, when a gaming hardware gets a refresh, there is always a huge % of the gaming community go crazy and say "what another hardware already??#@$#"
Just look at the DS, despite Nintendo continues to let you play the new games on your old system, people still act like the older version of the DS is already dead and it is the end of day. I don't see people talking shit about Apple when a new iPhone get announced every year.

We need to realize handheld should be refreshed every so often because you carry it outside all the time. It's like clothing you want to wear something new every once a while. I would be more than welcome if Sony and Nintendo release at least one new version of PSP or DS every year from now on. Gadgets should become smaller or with bigger screens as technology advances. No one want to stuck with the fat DS for five years until the next one.

krae_man said:
Looks like it will only play Droid games and maybe Minis and PSone games and not PSP games.

I keep a PSP Go in my pocket at all times so I would be interrested...if this thing wasn't going to be $600. I think the current price for smartphones and smartphone plans is just insane and I keep hoping someone will come along undercut everyone by at least 1/2 but it never happens.

You can get well specced Android smartphones (512MB RAM, WVGA OLED screen etc.) for just £100 contract free here in the UK.

Why will it need to be a dual boot device to be a full psp phone and android? Could it not have a PS app like the itunes/youtube/camera native apps on the iPhone?

(Isn't that how DSiware is on the DSi right now?)

Baconbitz

Banned
ataboada said:
Haha, I was surprised no one had posted this. I wanted to do it, but I'm still a mortal Junior Member...

It looks promising from what Engadget has posted, though now I expect the PSP2 to have phone capabilities as well. I wonder...
I think this is the psp 2

offshore

jett said:
Probably the smartest avenue for Sony, but is this just a playstation phone, or is in fact what the PSP2 will end up being?
They're almost certainly two different things, which is the cause for some skepticism about this phone from some people, with concerns about it being gimped, with poor games.

But the way I see it, if, or probably when, Sony release both the PSPhone and the PSP2, they'll be covering a large landscape. Of course there's the danger of spreading yourself too thin, but the PSP2 will be for the "serious" gamers, and the PSP Phone will be used for the casual, on-the-go type games that the App Store has made ridiculously popular.

AranhaHunter said:
My crazy analysis:

I think the specs are too low for this to be the PSP2 so this is probably the phone SKU version for the PSP1, that is it'll play PSP1, PSOne, minis and possibly PCEngine and NeoGeo games, that is it'll do everything that the PSP1 does. SE will come out with a phone SKU version for the PSP2 and the PSP2 will have 3 main versions, phone, tablet and regular.

There's absolutely no way it can natively play PSP titles. They'll have to be ported one by one.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
i was about to post the same thing, but instead of circling the A, B, and PSP buttons, circle A, B, AND THE FACT THAT IT'S AN ANDROID PHONE AND TOUCH SCREEN...

Have you used the last big cellphone by sony ericsson, the X10? FUCKING UNRESPONSIVE PIECE OF SHIT.

My brother has it, and sometimes has failed to get a call because the touchscreen dont response, sliding from app pages get you with unwanted apps to open because the screen thinks you lifted your finger, and dont mention games, like ninja fruit, your slashes dont register 50% of the time and you fail after seconds... Also the 2.1 update (NOT even froyo!) has been delayed more than duke nukem forever, and it is still running 1.6...

I want to believe, but they really need to change a lot of things to make me buy this thing...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
1195b-i_am_monitoring_this_thread.jpg

brain_stew said:
There's absolutely no way it can natively play PSP titles. They'll have to be ported one by one.

Why? Is this significantly underpowered compared to the PSP? And if that's the case (unable to play PSP games), then this phone is a waste of time by SE.

brain_stew said:
It just makes no sense, but then this is Sony and the idea of Minis targeting the PSP directly never made sense in the first place.

dude, you just blew my mind. i never looked at it that way. they were really only doing mini's to compete with mobile phone games/apps instead of making a PSP(not psp2) + phone like they should already have done by now. so if this thing turns out to be real it's pretty much an admittance by sony that the mini's thing was a half-assed way to tackle that market?

the whole PSP brand now seems like some slide puzzle that sony is trying to shuffle around and somehow make things fit with stop gap stuff instead of just recalibrating and putting out REAL, capable stuff at the right times. it's frustrating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayb4Tu6U4qw

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I knew it.

If this is the PSP2, hopefully they release a non-phone SKU. If it isn't, well, somebody over at Sony needs to sort out what they're doing with the PSP brand.

I'm no technical expert by any means.. but with those specs, I don't see how there's any way this is a psp2.

Boney

Banned
I knew it.

If this is the PSP2, hopefully they release a non-phone SKU. If it isn't, well, somebody over at Sony needs to sort out what they're doing with the PSP brand.
Technically, it's the Playstation brand, since there's no Portable in the name yet.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
AranhaHunter said:
Why? Is this significantly underpowered compared to the PSP? And if that's the case (unable to play PSP games), then this phone is a waste of time by SE.
Hardware needs to be significantly more powerful than the target for emulation to be possible. Put it this way, the Ps3 can barely do slow and incomplete PSP emulation. This 1GHz ARM SoC has no hope. Ported PSP games is another issue.

AranhaHunter said:

Its a completely different architecture, it'll be able to run PSP level games but they'll need to be ported. Although worryingly, with stock Qualcomm drivers and the standard Android overhead many games with sub DC complexity struggle to maintain 30fps with similar hardware. There's no current Android game on the market that can challenge high end PSP games.

It's just a damn phone that plays damn gimped phone games. It's pretty ridiculous the reaction here. Is every phone SE makes now supposed to compete with 3DS? Where do you even get these ideas?

Byakuya769 said:
I'm no technical expert by any means.. but with those specs, I don't see how there's any way this is a psp2.
If it boots into a game-only OS for "proper" games, it can use the full hardware without the Android overhead. Naturally, this won't line up with GAF's vision of what a PSP2 must be, but GAF is frequently wrong about these sorts of things.

Maybe Sony have decided to change their design philosophy and target convenience, battery life, efficiency and ergonomics over RAW POWAH.

Or maybe not.

I'll wait for more information before I'll believe either one.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I knew it.

Wouldn't that make it a regular PSP?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
If it boots into a game-only OS for "proper" games, it can use the full hardware without the Android overhead. Naturally, this won't line up with GAF's vision of what a PSP2 must be, but GAF is frequently wrong about these sorts of things.

Maybe Sony have decided to change their design philosophy and target convenience, battery life, efficiency and ergonomics over RAW POWAH.

Or maybe not.

The problem is, an of the shelf Smartphone SoC, and specially something from qualcom, hardly fits that profile for a dedicated gaming machine.

Zophar

If this is just an addition to the PSP1 line, I fail to see how this is in any way a bad thing. In fact I'm surprised it took this long for it to come out.

Or maybe not.

If they're prioritising battery life and efficiency for a game device then this a 1ghz Snapdragon makes no sense at all. They could get much better gaming performance and much better battery life with a different design.

That's not really an argument. There are 99 problems with this being "the PSP2," but its power level ain't one.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't say they'd necessarily succeed in that aim. Quote me where I said that.
Well, this doesn't sound me as aiming for "convenience, battery life, efficiency and ergonomics over RAW POWAH." at all. For regular smartphone tasks? Perhaps, But for gaming? Not at all.That's all I'm saying.

I didn't say they'd necessarily succeed in that aim. Quote me where I said that.

The problem is that their choice of hardware is actively going against those aims. A single high clocked CPU and a middling GPU that is neither a tiler or has dedicated memory isn't going to give you good gaming performance for a given power envelope, far from it. There's plenty off the shelf SOCs that would have been much better suited to these goals.

There's no way a PSP2 is going to use an off the shelf SOC.

No way this is the PSP2. My bet is that it will be able to hook up to the PSN store and download PS1 games and Mini's which really isn't that bad of an idea at all.

RavenFox

Banned
Swallow hard GAF you can't stop this. What Sony shouldn't compete in the phone area with a gaming device also? I like how this thing will be ready for launch shortly. Looks like many changes have hit the old Sony for the better.
Shalashaska161 said:
No way this is the PSP2. My bet is that it will be able to hook up to the PSN store and download PS1 games and Mini's which really isn't that bad of an idea at all.
OF course its not the PSP2. There is a thread with the latest info on the PSP2.

charlequin said:
That's not really an argument. There are 99 problems with this being "the PSP2," but its power level ain't one.

Oh it definitely is. Sony aren't going to want the majority of their games to end up looking worse than 3DS titles, and there's a very real chance of that happening if this ends up as the PSP2. They don't need to go quite as insane as last time around but they definitely need to demonstrate a tangible advantage over Nintendo and smartphone graphics.

Eteric Rice

What if this is the PSP2?

What I'm thinking is that they're going to make a phone model, and a non-phone model for people who just want to play games on it.

Kind of like the Iphone and Ipod Touch.

Eteric Rice said:
What if this is the PSP2?

What I'm thinking is that they're going to make a phone model, and a non-phone model for people who just want to play games on it.

Kind of like the Iphone and Ipod Touch.

Then my dream of a portable fallout dies....

It's not PSP2, we've had multiple reports from various sources describing the PSP2 in completely different terms.

Plus this thing lacks analog, UMD, PSP architecture, and the fucking Playstation name.

We had separate reports about this thing before on GAF which got a lot of attention and described everything right down to the lack of analog and the inclusion of the touchpad.

Top Bottom