• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Playstation Phone is Real [Up: Sony Ericsson Comments, Feb Announce Likely p.919]

gofreak said:
Maybe the playstation 'stuff' is to allow some proprietary software run, like PSone classics.

But the psone emulator will be easily able to support these same controls now.

Putting aside my own feelings about platform/software harmonization, this is actually quite significant in so far as it is a completely open, Playstation branded device. Anyone will be able to make, if you like, 'playstation games' on this without going through Sony. It's quite odd, because on the one hand you'll have Sony continue to pursue a closed platform strategy, but on the other, they're putting their name and hardware to the support of another, separate open gaming platform. At the very least, this device represents 'Playstation' coming out to support Google's generally exposed new gaming capabilities in Android, making an exemplary incarnation of a the kind of device this new stuff in Android describes. Playstation supporting a non-Playstation platform, an open platform - a platform that in the large is competing with their own (and in a much more intimate way with stuff like the minis strategy). It's as if they turned around and started making Playstation branded gaming PCs in addition to consoles...it is basically that significant. What's the end-game to all this? Strange times.

It's hard to tell what's going on, but the playstation branding may not extend further than a PSone emulator and borrowing of the PS controls. Your mention of the A,B,X,Y buttons is interesting, fits in with the what we saw in the original pictures of the interface, it may be that the buttons are changed, or even dually labelled in the final design.

Suzzopher

Graphics Horse said:
It's hard to tell what's going on, but the playstation branding may not extend further than a PSone emulator and borrowing of the PS controls. Your mention of the A,B,X,Y buttons is interesting, fits in with the what we saw in the original pictures of the interface, it may be that the buttons are changed, or even dually labelled in the final design.

I think this will run the PSone games, but also we are likely to see original games in established franchises too. Stupid that it's not going to have any synergy with PSP2.

Baki

Galvanise_ said:
Well something has to give. The sign said 9th of December at 20:00 PM.

Maybe they just like making annoying signs.

Well, I asked on the off-chance that it was a fake-sign made by some small site to get hits.

Suzzopher said:
I think this will run the PSone games, but also we are likely to see original games in established franchises too. Stupid that it's not going to have any synergy with PSP2.

I can't really blame the for hedging their bets after how the PSP Go turned out! I'm sure there will be original games but they may not be limited to the SonyEricsson phone if future Android devices have compatible controls. (Sony perhaps getting a small cut of any controller enabled app profits for their help?) They could also end up getting ported to PSP2 if there was demand of course.
If the Android model really takes off, Sony might run with it and focus on that, otherwise it might just concentrate on launch titles and not much more. There's that problem someone mentioned (gofreak?) of what happens when the Android phones get powerful enough to outperform the PSP2 in a few years.

Baki

Graphics Horse said:
I can't really blame the for hedging their bets after how the PSP Go turned out! I'm sure there will be original games but they may not be limited to the SonyEricsson phone if future Android devices have compatible controls. They could also end up getting ported to PSP2 if there was demand of course.
If the Android model really takes off, Sony might run with it and focus on that, otherwise it might just concentrate on launch titles and not much more. There's that problem someone mentioned (gofreak?) of what happens when the Android phones get powerful enough to outperform the PSP2 in a few years.

PSPGo is their own fault. It could have been wildy successful if Sony wasn't run by a bunch of incompetent interns.

Baki said:
PSPGo is their own fault. It could have been wildy successful if Sony wasn't run by a bunch of incompetent interns.

Well exacty, the price and limited library were very bad moves. There's no guarantees that they won't find ways mess up the next time too.

Baki

Graphics Horse said:
Well exacty, the price and limited library were very bad moves. There's no guarantees that they won't find ways mess up the next time too.

Lets not forget that they were somehow able to leverage a ton of 3rd party support prior to the GO's release. Really could have been successful if supported by a large marketing campaign as well.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
It's early hardware/software. Kinda hard to give a judgment call

then again, it is Sony Ericsson

RyanDG

So has the phone actually been branded the Playstation Phone or is it just being bandied about as such? Because outside of the button layout being the same, I haven't seen anything that really 'brands' it as part of the Playstation family. Have I missed something?

(Edit - Especially with it being called the Zeus Z1 in some reports)

FoneBone

RyanDG said:
So has the phone actually been branded the Playstation Phone or is it just being bandied about as such? Because outside of the button layout being the same, I haven't seen anything that really 'brands' it as part of the Playstation family. Have I missed something?

It seems pretty certain at this point that the hardware won't actually have the PlayStation name on it. They'll be using that in some capacity for the software (whether that's just the rumored PSX emulation, or also the rumored new games based on SCE IPs, remains to be seen).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
RyanDG said:

There was an app in one of the videos labeled "Playstation."

The phone itself probably isn't branded, though, no.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, I guess the event was a hoax after all. Or is under heavy NDA... :lol Anyway, we got our early benchmarks...

Top Bottom