• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Playstation Phone is Real [Up: Sony Ericsson Comments, Feb Announce Likely p.919]

charlequin said:
Well, this makes sense if this is kind of a tossed-off Sony-Ericsson smartphone project that's just leveraging the PSP brand the way the Walkman, etc. phones did rather than a serious attempt by Sony's gaming division to create a gaming-centric phone.

That certainly seems to be the case. Its just annoying that they'd be willing to stamp the Playstation brand on a device without much input from that division, as I seriously doubt a Qualcomm SOC would have been their first choice. They probably had no say in the matter though, which sucks.

Salsa

I seriously think we are gonna wait at least until August/September 2011 to see the PSP2, this just kinda confirms it for me.

Raistlin

LiK said:

Not that I particularly care, but Toshiba doing this made me laugh when I heard it way back when. It doesn't make sense.

A large part of the reason for the huge increase in LCD demand is because of OLED scarcity :lol. Some phones even released using OLED, but then switched to LCD because they couldn't source the OLED's anymore. Basically Samsung IIRC was holding them for themselves.

Tobor said:
This has the nub(touchpad) and shoulder buttons. Look at the other pics engadget has up.

You're right about the horsepower, though.

Oh cool.

Minis really should have been developed in some sort of virtual machine environment from the start though, it never did make sense for them to directly target the quirky PSP hardware. It was such a short sighted decision.

brain_stew said:
That certainly seems to be the case. Its just annoying that they'd be willing to stamp the Playstation brand on a device without much input from that division, as I seriously doubt a Qualcomm SOC would have been their first choice. They probably had no say in the matter though, which sucks.

Yeah, I don't think it's a good strategy, especially given the difficult balancing act Sony faces with launching the real PSP2. SE seems to be manhandling a lot of Sony's brands with recent phone releases, though, so the idea that they'd be allowed to design a "Playstation Phone" that has little to do with what the PS division would otherwise sign off on seems pretty believable.

George said:
FEMcG.png

i was about to post the same thing, but instead of circling the A, B, and PSP buttons, circle A, B, AND THE FACT THAT IT'S AN ANDROID PHONE AND TOUCH SCREEN...

ahem: anyone with an SE android phone have this A and B thing at the bottom when opening your slide out keyboard? for all we know those could be placeholder until they actually apply the final GUI. *shrug*

either way, i came to take back my assumption that it's the PSP2. if phones have been 1ghz for a while now, and it only has 512 ram, this thing can't be more than an average touchscreen android phone with buttons for a focus on gaming. "but 1ghz is way fast for a handheld" some of you might be thinking, but also remember that this thing has to be running the phone and OS in the background, and also any other apps running in the background. this IS android. i think that for it to even be close to being a full PSP2 aaaaaand a phone, it would need to at least be one of those new dual-core 1ghz chips that one of those new HTC phones is getting. ram would need to be a lot higher too, or at least in separate pools.

kinggroin said:
Do you own an android based phone? Gaming isn't exactly a strong point...

Clearly not! :lol

I really don't think many realise just what a mess Android gaming (especially 3D gaming) is in at the moment. Its no where near the standards of iOS yet, not even close.

Raistlin

Vilix said:
Sony: Phoning it in on the PSP since 2008. Har-har-har. Seriously, though, Sony is going to try to go after the iPhone market and it going to be ripped to shreads.

Define 'iPhone' market? Obviously they don't expect their app/game market to compete against the app store - it's just a little part of the Android market.

If you mean for overall phone sales ... Sony Ericsson actually sells more phones than Apple right now :\. I know this is shocking to some people here, but there is plenty or room for more than one company to be successful ... in most markets and industries.

Raistlin

brain_stew said:
Oh cool.

Minis really should have been developed in some sort of virtual machine environment from the start though, it never did make sense for them to directly target the quirky PSP hardware. It was such a short sighted decision.

oh for fuck's sake :lol

seady

I would give Sony a round of applauds if they finally come to their senses and turn the PSP brand into something similar to Kindle. Something that is more software/service-based, rather then hardware-based that require you to buy the PSP to play PSP games.

I was very impressed with Amazon's strategy when they decided that Kindle should not be limited to a hardware. It is a service that you can use on many devices - including its main competitor iPad. You don't just ram right into your enemies, instead you use them as your tools.

ZZMitch

asdad123 said:
Mind giving a little list of whats possible lol?

Well you can just buy emulators on the market... no need to hack at all.

But if you want to do things like overclocking... then rooting is your answer.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
brain_stew said:
Clearly not! :lol

I really don't think many realise just what a mess Android gaming (especially 3D gaming) is in at the moment. Its no where near the standards of iOS yet, not even close.
Has Google made any comment about it? Perhaps decent drives and memory support for Android 3.0?

C-Jo

I can't say that I'm a fan of the direction mobile gaming could be headed.

It's one thing for me to buy every console/handheld under the sun, but I'm already locked into my iPhone contract and don't like the idea of being in a position where I can't play everything. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of this and where else its games may be available. Same applies for WP7 and its Xbox integration.

Boney

Banned
Oh so it's not a PSP2?

Can somebody give me the overview since I'm kinda slow?

Should this work in a similar fashion as Sony Erricson deal, or is it only Sony dealing with the phone stuff?And how does it stuck up next to an iPhone in terms of power and stuff? Hearing PSP Minis approach?

So if this isn't PSP2, can Sony mantain both up with interesting software? Unless they share the Minis lineup, I don't know man...

Raistlin said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24060901&postcount=216

And regarding nub and shoulder buttons ... this has them.

Creating a software emulator for a complex system like the PSP would be much more difficult than simply porting the virtual machine to the PS3, although I guess they could have already have had one in development. It just makes no sense, but then this is Sony and the idea of Minis targeting the PSP directly never made sense in the first place.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
blu said:
As I said, the drivers will make or break this thing (as it has to live in a full-blown mobile OS environment), but that does not mean they (SE, qualcomm) could not get it right this time around.
The only thing this may have going for it is the possibility it "might" play PS1 games.
Drivers and hw are irrelevant, because Native stuff will be diluted to phone standards anyway, having to compete with the rest of stuff on android markets price wise, so expect a nice load of PS branded shovelware at best.

My crazy analysis:

I think the specs are too low for this to be the PSP2 so this is probably the phone SKU version for the PSP1, that is it'll play PSP1, PSOne, minis and possibly PCEngine and NeoGeo games, that is it'll do everything that the PSP1 does. SE will come out with a phone SKU version for the PSP2 and the PSP2 will have 3 main versions, phone, tablet and regular.

Raistlin

offshore said:
I'm pretty sure Apple passed SE in the recent quarter.

That may be true, but you get the point. One quarter, and SE's only begun to really move into the smartphone segment.

Raistlin

brain_stew said:
Creating a software emulator for a complex system like the PSP would be much more difficult than simply porting the virtual machine to the PS3,

I agree, and it makes no sense to me. However that is supposedly the case based on GAF consensus (I think a dev may have hinted actually? There's a thread on it).

although I guess they could have already have had one in development.

I can only assume that's the case.

It just makes no sense, but then this is Sony and the idea of Minis targeting the PSP directly never made sense in the first place.

My point is I'm pretty sure that is not the case. The intent is to place them on lots of things - phones, TV's, set-top boxes, etc. That's why it supposedly is in a VM.

Takao

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
My crazy analysis:

I think the specs are too low for this to be the PSP2 so this is probably the phone SKU version for the PSP1, that is it'll play PSP1, PSOne, minis and possibly PCEngine and NeoGeo games, that is it'll do everything that the PSP1 does. SE will come out with a phone SKU version for the PSP2 and the PSP2 will have 3 main versions, phone, tablet and regular.

That's kind of my reasoning at the moment as well. But I'd imagine the PSP2Phone would be pretty far out, as it'd be juiced, and current battery tech for phones wouldn't be able to handle it.

Vilix said:
Piracy? Pfft. It takes 15 minutes just for the damn bread to load.

will the Crumb Collector functions be patched in later with a firmware update or will the Playstation Toaster be crumb collector free

Top Bottom