• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Playstation Phone is Real [Up: Sony Ericsson Comments, Feb Announce Likely p.919]

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
George said:
FEMcG.png
hahhaha what do we have here

asdad123 said:
Does android have a good homebrew community (sort of like cydia/jailbreak). Itd be great to get emulators on there with the buttons! :D

Also, why is the back covered up in those pictures? Could it possible have that rear touch pad?

And that thing in the middle of the dpad and buttons sortof seems like some times of "dual analog thing" Maybe touch pad analogs or something?
Already out there on the marketplace. At least as far as I know.

ccbfan

Depending on the battery life and whether I can have emulators on it.

This will be my next phone.

Right now portable gaming is really only portable in the sense that I can play it anywhere in my house. I don't bring it outside my house except the car. I already have a Phone/Wallet/Keys to carry in my pocket. Not gonna carry 3X as big items like the PSP and DS.

This will actually make portable gaming truly portable for me.

Lonely1 said:
People who don't read NEogaf will not know this. "Hey, can I buy this new Killzone game for my new PSP?" "Sorry, It's only for the other new PSP"
If Stringer is serious about building synergies, then by all means, a common unified platform shouldn't be out of the question.

Blu_LED said:
This is a stupid SE project that has the PlayStation name thrown onto it, and the PSP2 is an actual SCE project. Basically if you like PlayStation, ignore this.

This sounds a lot better than what the recent rumors for psp2. That device sounds positively hideous.

GameSeeker

Smart move by Sony. It is very clear that the dedicated gaming portable will be a shrinking percentage of the market moving forward, with smart phones becoming very capable gaming systems. Dedicated gaming portables will still be perfect for kids, but if you are an adult professional who already carries around a smart phone for work or family, you don't want to carry a second device.

I own a Nintendo DS and a Sony PSP and I used to carry them on all my business trips, but now I own a iPhone 3GS and so both are relegated to the dustbin. I won't buy either the 3DS or PSP2, because the convenience of carrying around an iPhone 4/5 (rather than 2 devices) is too great. Microsoft recognizes this, as they are betting their entire mobile gaming strategy around Windows Mobile 7. Nintendo recognizes that Apple is a top competitor in the mobile gaming space. And now Sony is branching into smart phone gaming, along with a PSP2.

Smartphones are here to stay as a mobile gaming platform.

x3sphere

There's no chance this is the actual PSP2, or even a derivative of it. One reason why: running Android would give Sony essentially zero control on the security side of things. Piracy would be rampant.

Tobor

Fredescu said:
Don't really understand why you wouldn't.
The same reason you don't on the new Nook color that was announced today.

Sony's not going to want you buying emulators on this thing.

With SE already making phones under the Bravia, Cybershot, and Walkman brand names I guess it was just bound to happen.......

Although when they announced earlier this month they were making Windows 7 phones I thought it would be hilarious if this ran on Windows Phone 7. Finally XBL could have come to Playstation!

Qualcomm GPU? Really? FFS.

With the middling GPU hardware, the huge overhead that comes with an Android device and the much higher target resolution, games are going to end up looking much worse than 3DS titles on average.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
GameSeeker said:
Smart move by Sony. It is very clear that the dedicated gaming portable will be a shrinking percentage of the market moving forward, with smart phones becoming very capable gaming systems. Dedicated gaming portables will still be perfect for kids, but if you are an adult professional who already carries around a smart phone for work or family, you don't want to carry a second device.

I own a Nintendo DS and a Sony PSP and I used to carry them on all my business trips, but now I own a iPhone 3GS and so both are relegated to the dustbin. I won't buy either the 3DS or PSP2, because the convenience of carrying around an iPhone 4/5 (rather than 2 devices) is too great. Microsoft recognizes this, as they are betting their entire mobile gaming strategy around Windows Mobile 7. Nintendo recognizes that Apple is a top competitor in the mobile gaming space. And now Sony is branching into smart phone gaming, along with a PSP2.

What do you do if a string of games you want to play are exclusive to a certain phone's OS?
Do you buy that phone and sign up for that contract too?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
brain_stew said:
Qualcomm GPU? Really? FFS.
Actually the GPU is quite potent, if qualcomm ever manage to produce non-piss-poor drivers for it.

Fredescu

Tobor said:
The same reason you don't on the new Nook color that was announced today.
You mean the Nook colour that isn't a phone and doesn't have 3G? I doubt they would limit the smartphone capabilities of the device so much that they would remove the market.

Tobor

Serenade said:
What do you do if a string of games you want to play are exclusive to a certain phone's OS?
Do you buy that phone too?
You hope they offer a non phone version like Apple does, or you don't play those games.

x3sphere said:
There's no chance this is the actual PSP2, or even a derivative of it. One reason why: running Android would give Sony essentially zero control on the security side of things. Piracy would be rampant.

What if it has a dual-boot OS?

Like, dedicated for gaming, and android for the rest.

And of course the user won't be able to choose, it's just automatic. And the android part cannot access all hardware features.

Isn't this how Linux and ps3 OS coexisted in first place?

Correct me if I'm horribly wrong.

offshore

GameSeeker said:
Microsoft recognizes this, as they are betting their entire mobile gaming strategy around Windows Mobile 7.
The difference here being that Microsoft are putting WP7 and XBL on numberous handsets; Sony at the moment are just on this one. If Sony could make PlayStation the gaming brand for Android, and have all future Android handsets conform to certain specifications like WP7 does, then Sony could be in a very strong position in the handheld arena, as Android is clearly going to win out.

Just one Sony Ericsson phone is unlikely to really change the dynamics too much.

blu

Lonely1 said:
Which is the GPU?
One from the Adreno2xx series, formerly known as ATI YamatoDX/z4xx

GameSeeker said:

Well said. First and foremost it will be a plenty capable Android smartphone. Then when you feel like playing ps1 games or emulators or whatever, you just slide out the controls and get to it.

Granted, this particular devise doesn't sound perfect to me (I think the specs are bit underpowered), but it is on the right track.

Josh7289

I'm interested, but I don't see it as a dedicated new gaming platform any more than other Android devices are. It's just that now Sony is releasing games for it, and adding in some better controls.

Also I think the problem with smartphones as gaming platforms, at least from a consumer perspective, is that you can only own one smartphone at a time, and usually with a one or two year contract. So it makes the choice between them tough and the market more limited than it could be.

But since you don't need contracts or service plans for regular dedicated portable gaming systems, you can easily own more than one (funds permitting).

blu said:
Actually the GPU is quite potent, if qualcomm ever manage to produce non-piss-poor drivers for it.

Even in their very own inhouse benchmark it can't beat out an SGX535, and it can barely match an SGX 530 in more general gaming benchmarks. They've had long enough to develop decent drivers for this architecture, I've seen nothing to indicate they ever will or that they would make enough of a difference anyway. Any Playstation branded product should have SGX 540 level performance at the very least.

AndyD

aka andydumi
metareferential said:
What if it has a dual-boot OS?

Like, dedicated for gaming, and android for the rest.

And of course the user won't be able to choose, it's just automatic. And the android part cannot access all hardware features.

Isn't this how Linux and ps3 OS coexisted in first place?

Correct me if I'm horribly wrong.

Its right, it would be like gaming with nothing runninng in parallel, so the phone part would be "off".

As to people worrying about A/B the article said the UI is not customized/skinned to the phone.

spwolf

looks like X10 Mini Pro with PSPGo controls instead of keyboard and considerably bigger screen. There is also SE branding which makes this not PSP2.

Seems like gaming phone from SE, which makes sense as their Walkman and Cybershot phones made them a lot of money before.

If it has big screen (like report suggests), seems like a much better option to game on than iphone4 and it still has everything it needs to be an great phone.

blu

brain_stew said:
Even in their very own inhouse benchmark it can't beat out an SGX535, and it can barely match an SGX 530 in more general gaming benchmarks. They've had long enough to develop decent drivers for this architecture, I've seen nothing to indicate they ever will or that they would make enough of a difference anyway. Any Playstation branded product should have SGX 540 level performance at the very least.
Their in-house benchmark runs on their in-house drivers ; )

Lonely1 said:
Then, I am wrong in thinking tthat they can't compete atm with the SGX series?
Yes, you are.

blu said:
One from the Adreno2xx series, formerly known as ATI YamatoDX/z4xx

If its the same as the G2 (as indicated) then it'll be an Adreno 205. Its a huge stepup from the standard Adreno 200 but no where near enough for a gaming focused product that has to put up with a large abstraction layer.

Tobor

Fredescu said:
You mean the Nook colour that isn't a phone and doesn't have 3G? I doubt they would limit the smartphone capabilities of the device so much that they would remove the market.
Let's wait and see what they announce, then. Who knows what the heck Sony is up to anymore.

blu

brain_stew said:
If its the same as the G2 (as indicated) then it'll be an Adreno 205. Its a huge stepup from the standard Adreno 200 but no where near enough for a gaming focused product that has to put up with a large abstraction layer.
As I said, the drivers will make or break this thing (as it has to live in a full-blown mobile OS environment), but that does not mean they (SE, qualcomm) could not get it right this time around.

blu said:
Their in-hourse benchmark runs on their in-hourse drivers ; )

Yes, you are.

:lol True, but come on, I'd at least have thought they'd be able to overcome their driver limitations in their own benchmarking software. Although this is Qualcomm, I'm probably expecting too much. Still, the Adreno/Z430 architecture is several years old at this point if they have been utterly inept at driver development in all that time, what's to say they're going to turn it around all of a sudden?

Even without the driver issue, I still don't think the hardware is fast enough. The CPU and RAM are fine but this device will be going up against phones SGX543MP2 based phones around the time of its release and no amount of driver optimisation will overcome that. I guess I just expect a device that is gaming to focused to actually choose an SOC that actually emphasises GPU performance, not one where it is completely secondary to CPU performance.

Raistlin

AndyD said:
What are those holes in the touchpad? Can you screw in analogs??

If I had to guess, I suspect it's the 'center point' for pseudo analog sticks. That way you can find it via touch.

Top Bottom