• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Playstation Phone is Real [Up: Sony Ericsson Comments, Feb Announce Likely p.919]

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Tiduz said:
no. my x10 still runs on 1.6
1. fucking 6.

I'd imagine a PSPhone would get more support than the X10 with regards to firmware updates. This could be a huge deal for Sony and i doubt they will slip up on that. That being said the two guys in Japan are going to have their work cut out, and they have it hard enough with just PS3 updates.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Lonely1 said:
But two incompatible PSP platforms competing is madness.
Nah, it's just a cool gaming phone to compliment your regular console and handheld gaming.

PSP2 is still coming next year probably, long after this phone.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
ACE 1991 said:
Seems like the wrong direction Sony.
You do realize this is SonyEricsson, the makers of phones, right?

I just wonder what took them so long.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
NinjaFridge said:
I'd imagine a PSPhone would get more support than the X10 with regards to firmware updates. This could be a huge deal for Sony and i doubt they will slip up on that. That being said the two guys in Japan are going to have their work cut out, and they have it hard enough with just PS3 updates.

Take the FW updates away from the incompetent shitfucks in Japan and hand them over to SCEE or SCEA or.. well, pretty much anyone that isn't SCEJ. Problem solved.

PSGames

A dedicated PSP marketplace? Aren't PSP games over 2GB? Surely they don't expect us to download over a 3G network :lol

And expecting someone to have Wi-fi or sync with a computer in-order to buy games is foolish as well. UMD is out obviously. I wonder if they have a new solid state game medium of some sort.

x3sphere

I wouldn't be surprised if by downloadable PlayStation games they mean PSOne classics or something. That'd make more sense.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Combichristoffersen said:
Take the FW updates away from the incompetent shitfucks in Japan and hand them over to SCEE or SCEA or.. well, pretty much anyone that isn't SCEJ. Problem solved.

Dude i know, Sony Cambridge are probably doing nothing. They would be awesome for it.

JWong

Banned
I think there's going to be two PSPs. This will be for the high end because a smartphone can go upwards of $500+. Then there will be an entry level PSP that's just for gaming. Maybe with some gadgets, but nothing too much.

so this pretty much says alot about sony/ericsson they can't build software, and from this prototype phone they can't build hardware that thing is as ugly as the GO

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Why have a touchpad to simulate dual analog if this is only going to play PSP games?

I think this is PSP dos.

asdad123

If this is able to play PSP games and has a decent browser, I may sell my Iphone 4 and pick this up.

Hopefully ATT gets it. (Probably a japan only phone or something -_-)

Spiegel

The original rumor said

-PSX-PSP graphics
-Titles currently being shown off: God of War, Modern Warfare, LBP

So those will be ports/downgraded versions or the device will play PSP games.

DiscoJer

Lonely1 said:
But two incompatible PSP platforms competing is madness.

Sony sells comic books on the PSP.

Sony sells books on its line of e-readers (including some comics, I think).

Does it make sense that you can't read one on the other? And that there is no unified store?

Sony has never been good about cooperating from one division to another. This is just another example. At most it will play PS1 games (given those specs), so not exactly competing...

Elios83

Dynamic3 said:
Given it lacks dual joysticks (or a joystick for that matter), I hope this device is separate from the PSP2.

There is a touch pad for dual analog controls.
Btw clearly this is not the PSP2, it's a Sony Ericsson product.
It will be interesting to see what kind of games it will play. Probably there will be a Psone emulator but I don't know if they want/expect developers to develop original games for this platform or if its lineup will be mde of a streamlined selection of PSP and PSP 2 games.

expy

Banned
asdad123 said:
If this is able to play PSP games and has a decent browser, I may sell my Iphone 4 and pick this up.

Hopefully ATT gets it. (Probably a japan only phone or something -_-)
It runs Android 3.0, browser won't be an issue.

riceandbeans said:
Ummm... so is this the PSP2 then?

Not sure if I like the idea of a phone and full-featured gaming device.

Sony Ericsson != Sony

Technosteve said:
so this pretty much says alot about sony/ericsson they can't build software, and from this prototype phone they can't build hardware that thing is as ugly as the GO
The PSP Go is ugly? I know it's a piece of shit but hardware looking, it's great.

Dynamic3 said:
Given it lacks dual joysticks (or a joystick for that matter), I hope this device is separate from the PSP2.

Well the touchpad in the center could well serve this purpose.

And looking at the specs it should be more powerful than current psp's, right?

As far as design goes, if this is what the psp 2 might look like, I really like it.

The 3ds doesn't feature touchscreen for the main display, so this will put Sony ahead, meaning you could have phone apps and games running with the device closed, and standard games using the controller below.

I really, really like it. I have an iPhone 3gs, but I hate playing with that. This thing it's basically psp+iphone. Do want.

Tron 2.0

Serenade said:
Why have a touchpad to simulate dual analog if this is only going to play PSP games?

I think this is PSP dos.
I don't think it is going to play PSP games. Separate ecosystem.

I don't think it's the PSP2.

Takao

Banned
Technosteve said:

The Go is a pretty slick handheld bro.

NeoUltima said:
Well this is confusing. PSP2 and this?
This is a stupid SE project that has the PlayStation name thrown onto it, and the PSP2 is an actual SCE project. Basically if you like PlayStation, ignore this.

tirminyl said:
Why would they sell a PSP2 that requires you to sign a 2-3 year contract with a mobile service provider? Does that make any sense to you?

same reason people jumped at the iphone, and hell even the ipad 3g? contracts don't seem to get in the way of people getting the latest gadget these days. especially considering the companies making them will try to fuck you with insane overhead if you DON'T get it with a contract. (ie: the PSPhone could cost $200 to make, and they tell you to pay $300 with contract or $500 by itself)

what sucks about this is that i already have a phone. just got a galaxy s. if this thing is real, and is coming late next year, i could either upgrade (if it's even comparable to current phones out by then) or hope that there's a wifi-only model or something- or maybe even a cheap data-only plan, so i could use my current phone as a phone, and use the PSPhone on it's own and only for data. ughhh, i dunno. i love the darn out of my vibrant.

i agree with those saying it IS the PSP2 though. still in prototype form, specs well above the PSP (although not enough for me to consider a full on PSP2), and it has the items described in the leaks...... SANS THE TRACKPAD BEING ON THE BACK OF THE DEVICE....?

asdad123

expy said:
It runs Android 3.0, browser won't be an issue.

Sony Ericsson != Sony

Does android have a good homebrew community (sort of like cydia/jailbreak). Itd be great to get emulators on there with the buttons! :D

Also, why is the back covered up in those pictures? Could it possible have that rear touch pad?

And that thing in the middle of the dpad and buttons sortof seems like some times of "dual analog thing" Maybe touch pad analogs or something?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Spiegel said:
So those will be ports/downgraded versions or the device will play PSP games.
Quite likely ports. The SoC in this one is highly incompatible with the PSP, and not faster enough for proper emulation.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Technosteve said:

But the PSP Go is the best looking PSP!

Meohsix

FEMcG.png

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Blu_LED said:
This is a stupid SE project that has the PlayStation name thrown onto it, and the PSP2 is an actual SCE project. Basically if you like PlayStation, ignore this.
People who don't read NEogaf will not know this. "Hey, can I buy this new Killzone game for my new PSP?" "Sorry, It's only for the other new PSP"

DiscoJer

carpediemdp said:
I suspect PSPmini games will play a major role in this phone.

Uh, probably not. Those are just regular PSP games, albeit somewhat limited in a few areas. But I don't think this has enough horses to emulate the PSP (the PS3 barely does).

Besides, that's a whopping 100 or so games, a good portion of which probably have Android versions.

Top Bottom