• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Playstation Phone is Real [Up: Sony Ericsson Comments, Feb Announce Likely p.919]

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Hell yeah, just in time when I have plans to change my phone.

Bi3rF.gif

tirminyl

dogmaan said:
Why do I have a horrible feeling that this is the PSP2

I hope not.

Why would they sell a PSP2 that requires you to sign a 2-3 year contract with a mobile service provider? Does that make any sense to you?

iammeiam

Huh. Slider phone with no QWERTY, or even physical number pad. Interesting.

I'm thinking this is pretty doomed, but I could easily be wrong. It just seems... Extra.

ZZMitch

iammeiam said:
Huh. Slider phone with no QWERTY, or even physical number pad. Interesting.

I'm thinking this is pretty doomed, but I could easily be wrong. It just seems... Extra.

Touchscreen :lol

AndyD said:
Yep. So touchscreen, multitouchpad and two dpads, but no analogs?

What are those holes in the touchpad? Can you screw in analogs??

I think they're just tactile lumps or holes so you can feel your way around where the two analog sticks would be, if you wanted to use it like that.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Elfforkusu said:
Damn right. I'm in.

Will only buy a handful of PSP titles, but Sony Ericsson makes good phones. It'll be worth it.

This. If its a decent price and has access to Android marketplace I'm all for it.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
My 2 Cents.
-If this isn't the PSP2, then the PSP brand is FUBAR.
- If this is the PSP2, the specs are a bit underwhelming.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Looks OK. It's nicer than my POS phone, and I like that it has the square triangle buttons.

I'll never get this but I enjoyed looking at a picture of it in this thread.

I'll have to get my thing in my hands before judging...looks awesome though!

Great move by Sony. This puts them in their own little sect of the market, IMO--in between the iPhone and the 3DS (assuming of course this is their main handheld device.

I'm confused though....Is that a touch pad in the center there?

Metalmurphy said:
Isn't that thing in the middle a touchpad of sorts? Could work as one or even 2 analogues.

Psphone: The Clash of The Mighty Thumbs.

I'd have put a gif to sustain my stupidity, but yet I fail at that art

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
dogmaan said:
Why do I have a horrible feeling that this is the PSP2

I hope not.

It probably is. It doesn't really make sense to split up the PSP user base and developers by creating a PSP-phone platform that functions differently from a PSP-console platform.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Tiduz said:
no. my x10 still runs on 1.6
1. fucking 6.

One day, there will be a glorious update to 2.1. One day..

Supposedly coming towards the end of this month

But it's Sony Ericsson, so it'll get delayed. Again. This time to February next year.

And they supposedly won't update the X10 line to anything newer than 2.1 :(

Takao said:
No PlayStation Branding Not PSPhone.
This is a prototype and I think the PS D-Pad and face buttons are branding enough.

Tron 2.0 said:
Honestly, I don't see how this makes a lot of sense.

Sony has the PSP, will have the PSP2.

Where does a second handheld device fit in?

A phone that can play PSP games? Makes a lot of sense. This? I'm not seeing it.

Willing to admit I could be 100% wrong though.
What if this is the PSP2?

black_13

Banned
Come on Sony don't fuck this up! This is your one chance to capture the game and phone market and actually compete with the iPhone.

Phenomic

Lonely1 said:
As far as i Know, an 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8655 has no hope of playing PSP games.

So they are going to closely launch two devices, one phone with PSP like qualities that can't run decent games and another expensive device that has crazy graphic potential without the capabilities of a phone. Why would they even contemplate this, they have to have something niche to beat the 3DS if they ever want the PSP2 to take off. I know I'm not buying two of a device that should be in one.

golem

esquire said:
It probably is. It doesn't really make sense to split up the PSP user base and developers by creating a PSP-phone platform that functions differently from a PSP-console platform.
Since when did Sony do things that make sense..

Elios83

The long touch pad to implement two analog sticks is nice.
This is pretty much is in line with the recent rumors about PSP2. Sony is going with touch pads for analog controls in their handheld devices.

x3sphere

golem said:
Will this really play PSP games? Same architecture? How about PSP2?

CPU architecture is different and I doubt it has the same GPU. Don't see how this will run PSP games straight out. If it does they will have to be ported.

Top Bottom