• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation Vita In 2011-2012

Eusis

Plus, it looks like vita games don't have manuals either, and i'm not fond of the blue boxes, so that makes me miss it less.
This reminds me: for those that got NA Vita games already DO they have manuals, or no? I thought I saw something that they might be lacking them, but I want to be sure there plus I remember how MvC3 in Japan just came with that slip, implying no manuals... only for Uncharted and other games to still have them.

DBT85

So this is the internet I've heard so much about.

I'm definitely doing all single player games as physical buys and a few multiplayer focused ones as digital.

Heh, I thought it funny that you wondered why people argue about it on the internet. People will argue about the colour of grass or the sun on the internet.

On a Vita related note. I've seen a lot of people talking about how they got burned on the 3DS launch+6 months and the price drop and how that is making them wary of buying the Vita early doors.

Does anyone else think that 3DS' lacklustre start and massive price drop is possibly going to have a negative effect on the Vita. Compared to if the 3DS had not had the problems that it did?

This reminds me: for those that got NA Vita games already DO they have manuals, or no? I thought I saw something that they might be lacking them, but I want to be sure there plus I remember how MvC3 in Japan just came with that slip, implying no manuals... only for Uncharted and other games to still have them.

Some games have nothing, some have a sheet or two and a bare few have manuals. I think they all have digital manuals viewable from within the live area though.

Toki767

On a Vita related note. I've seen a lot of people talking about how they got burned on the 3DS launch+6 months and the price drop and how that is making them wary of buying the Vita early doors.

Does anyone else think that 3DS' lacklustre start and massive price drop is possibly going to have a negative effect on the Vita. Compared to if the 3DS had not had the problems that it did?

I think it's safe to say that if the 3DS was still at $250 there would be a lot less people saying that the Vita is too expensive. They were the same people saying that the 3DS was too expensive at $250 and to be fair, they were right about that. They could still be right about the Vita but I don't think Sony will want to lower the price since they're already losing money on it.

Eusis

Some games have nothing, some have a sheet or two and a bare few have manuals. I think they all have digital manuals viewable from within the live area though.
Figures it'd just keep getting worse, but at least now we have the resolution and screen quality for digital manuals to compensate, especially if like on the 3DS I can pause to look at them quickly.

And yeah, I think the price drop at the least will make people hopeful the Vita has similar happen. Then again, the Vita LOOKS like a legitimately $250 device, the 3DS bit off more than it could chew by going for that.

Raonak

Banned
These days games have lots of handholding. they're pretty good at teaching the player. I really can't remember when I last actually needed to look at the manual.

plus, if i get stuck, the first thing i do is internet. manual doesnt even cross the line.

Going all DD would be great and all if it weren't for the insane prices of both the memory solution and the PSN/SEN prices. For UK retail everything that's not on the CoD level of sales will get price-cut into oblivion a couple of weeks/months in. Now if/when digital retail can sell DD games, like for Steam activated games then we would be talking.

Eusis

These days games have lots of handholding. they're pretty good at teaching the player. I really can't remember when I last actually needed to look at the manual.

plus, if i get stuck, the first thing i do is internet. manual doesnt even cross the line.
It's usually either an RPG of some sort (that may not explain, say, what stats or whatever do in-game) or if I forgot how to do something since usually it IS easier to find out in the manual than online unless the manual's crap. Or a menu option that's not explained. I've popped them open a few times recently still, though that number's dropped partially because sometimes the manual just is no good at explaining anything. That, and I enjoy flipping through them, but I'd do that with a digital manual like those on Vita too anyway.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just saw the Gravity Daze CM in the TV, can't wait to get my hands on it.
It was a short version of the apples movie, with some flying apples and some gameplay.

Tarin02543

Just played my first Vita IRL for the first time here at Fnac (Belgium).

Digital Dpad is really good IMO as well as the two analog sticks (yes, they truly are two mini DS3 stick). Shoulder buttons are still bad (feel mushy and not precise).

I've played Ridge Racer (disgusting framerate, looks like direct port from RR8), a little bit of Wipeout (better visuals than RR but framerate was disgusting as well) and some Virtua Tennis (menu design really well done).

Best part of the whole experience was the OLED screen, really a major step up from LCD tech.

Aru

Pre-ordered the Vita on Amazon France.
8GB Memory Card free when buying a Wifi or Wifi/3G Vita.
Free pre-order pack too.

Kafel

Banned
Pre-ordered the Vita on Amazon France.
8GB Memory Card free when buying a Wifi or Wifi/3G Vita.
Free pre-order pack too.

People tend to cancel their Fnac preorders for Amazon. I find the deals quite similar but if you were interested in a 8GB memory card in the first place then I guess Amazon gets your money.

Don't miss the rumored deals on games at Fnac though (everything 20% off, Fifa at half price).

Kuran

Banned
Here's a video of Assault Armies, a Lost Vikings-like game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW6xhZvcmOg&lc

The art isn't really my thing, but I can't help but think how gorgeous this must look on the OLED screen in person. I'm happy there's quite a few high-res 2D games coming out for the VITA, together with Super Stardust and Super Putty Squad it's almost like a little Amiga renaissance.

Just played my first Vita IRL for the first time here at Fnac (Belgium).

Digital Dpad is really good IMO as well as the two analog sticks (yes, they truly are two mini DS3 stick). Shoulder buttons are still bad (feel mushy and not precise).

I've played Ridge Racer (disgusting framerate, looks like direct port from RR8), a little bit of Wipeout (better visuals than RR but framerate was disgusting as well) and some Virtua Tennis (menu design really well done).

Best part of the whole experience was the OLED screen, really a major step up from LCD tech.

Is this the Fnac in Antwerp? I'll go check it out next week if so.

Tarin02543

Here's a video of Assault Armies, a Lost Vikings-like game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW6xhZvcmOg&lc

The art isn't really my thing, but I can't help but think how gorgeous this must look on the OLED screen in person. I'm happy there's quite a few high-res 2D games coming out for the VITA, together with Super Stardust and Super Putty Squad it's almost like a little Amiga renaissance.

Is this the Fnac in Antwerp? I'll go check it out next week if so.

No, Fnac in Brugge.

Can't help but feel that the Amazon bundle offer warrants its own thread really. It's a great deal that convinced me to take the plunge and get a Vita, and I'd imagine there's plenty of folks that don't know about it.

Kuran

Banned
Can't help but feel that the Amazon bundle offer warrants its own thread really. It's a great deal that convinced me to take the plunge and get a Vita, and I'd imagine there's plenty of folks that don't know about it.

I'm in Belgium for another month, so the UK Amazon store isn't such a good deal due to the british pound. But I just noticed that Amazon France has that same 8GB Memory Card for free deal, plus it also seems to offer a 20 euro discount on the Vita itself.

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B004L2KWIS/

Guess I'll order it there!

Wait, it seems that pre-ordering on Amazon.fr also gives you the pre-order pack by default?
the PlayStation Vita Preorder now and in the days following its release a pack of reservation including an in-ear headphones + a discount of 5 euros for a PSN game of your choice (from Little Deviants, Escape Plan, Hustle and Super Kings Stardust Delta) + access to the application Frobisher Says PS Vita! ™ ​​preview + PS Vita accessories for PlayStation ® Home PlayStation ® 3 + an avatar PS Vita. Offer limited to customers in Europe until February 12, 2012.

So for 229 Euro, you get:

8GB Memory Card
5 euro discount for Super Stardust Delta/Escape Plan/Little Deviants/Hustle Kings
In-ear headphones

Tempted to buy a Vita on amazon.de or amazon.co.uk

The only thing that bothers me to buy it on Amazon.de ( they got quite a nice deal as you all know ) is that the games are probably localised ( only spoken language is German ). It's not that I don't like Germans ( I'm Dutch myself btw ) but to hear Nathan Drake speaking German....I dunno :D

Can anyone that played a German demo model confirm that the games also have an English language option?

Digishine

Banned
Tempted to buy a Vita on amazon.de or amazon.co.uk

The only thing that bothers me to buy it on Amazon.de ( they got quite a nice deal as you all know ) is that the games are probably localised ( only spoken language is German ). It's not that I don't like Germans ( I'm Dutch myself btw ) but to hear Nathan Drake speaking German....I dunno :D

Can anyone that played a German demo model confirm that the games also have an English language option?

If you gonna buy the Wifi version only then you should order it from amazon france only 220 euro like above said

I'm in Belgium for another month, so the UK Amazon store isn't such a good deal due to the british pound. But I just noticed that Amazon France has that same 8GB Memory Card for free deal, plus it also seems to offer a 20 euro discount on the Vita itself.

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B004L2KWIS/

Guess I'll order it there!

Wait, it seems that pre-ordering on Amazon.fr also gives you the pre-order pack by default?

So for 229 Euro, you get:

8GB Memory Card
5 euro discount for Super Stardust Delta/Escape Plan/Little Deviants/Hustle Kings
In-ear headphones

OK i'm sold gonna buy it from there now gonna cancel my uk pre-order

EDIT: just canceled my UK vita and I still receive the free 8GB memory so i'm gonna have 2 sticks of 8GB :D PSN japan here I come !

If you gonna buy the Wifi version only then you should order it from amazon france only 220 euro like above said

Thanks, seems like a great price. I ordered from Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de before. Very satisfied with their delivery times. Anyone any experience with shipping from Amazon France?

edit: seems that there's no free shipping on amazon.fr ( order below is a wifi Vita with free 8gb card )

Récapitulatif de commande
Articles : EUR 263,66
Livraison : EUR 15,35
Total : EUR 279,01
Bon de réduction: -EUR 34,82
Montant total : EUR 244,19

Still...not a bad price, but when you include a game, there no difference with amazon.co.uk

OK i'm sold gonna buy it from there now gonna cancel my uk pre-order

EDIT: just canceled my UK vita and I still receive the free 8GB memory so i'm gonna have 2 sticks of 8GB :D PSN japan here I come !

I was going to pre-order from Amazon.uk, but that French deal sounds much better.

Having never ordered of the French Amazon before is it straight forward to do?

I suppose I've got to set up a new account, but is there any other hoops I've got to jump through?

I was going to pre-order from Amazon.uk, but that French deal sounds much better.

Having never ordered of the French Amazon before is it straight forward to do?

I suppose I've got to set up a new account, but is there any other hoops I've got to jump through?

No hoops, you can sign in with any amazon account. But as I said above...shipping seems to be charged for.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm tempted by the Amazon deals but I don't want to wait for the stuff to ship and arrive.

Yeah, this is my situation. I was waiting a while for my 3DS order.

But wow, they are some good deals, particularly the 229 deal. Why can't/won't bricks-and-mortars do similar?

edit - they've lopped 20 euro off the 3G version too.

So comparison time:

Game, local pickup, 16GB card, 3G: €350
Amazon.fr, wait a while, 8GB card: €280 (+ unspecified delivery charge)

Hmmmm.

Aru

People tend to cancel their Fnac preorders for Amazon. I find the deals quite similar but if you were interested in a 8GB memory card in the first place then I guess Amazon gets your money.

Don't miss the rumored deals on games at Fnac though (everything 20% off, Fifa at half price).

I had a voucher to use on Amazon. Otherwise I'd have bought the console in a local store, since I don't live in metropolitan France.

Updated the ARC images with better icon placement. Also, can I get some color requests? I plan on putting up the whole bunch in the official launch thread! And this is only a taste. I'd like some game theme requests as well. Wipeout anyone?

I plan on doing major variations for each screen, perhaps category based (games,social,apps, etc)

6809032003_2ef32027ca_b.jpg

]

Red and Gray. Red and Black for me!!

Just played the Vita in two stores, WipEout first ofcourse :^) For me the fluidity of the display because of the total lack of 'motion-smearing' or ghosting was the most impressive, the framerate was indeed rock-solid, very good. The OLED display looks really vivid. WipEout looked good and the controls felt tight. The device was hefty but comfortable to hold (I'm used to the Atari Lynx, so I don't mind).

Loading times were pretty bad for a handheld with all of the games I tried. The mini-analog-sticks had a lot less resistance than on the DS3 and a lot less range ofcourse, being so small. I'm not sure how precise they will be in practice.

The action buttons were tiny, felt even smaller than the PSP-Go. Shoulder buttons were the same as PSP slim. Back touch takes getting used to. I played a greyscale game, not sure what it was called, where you used front and back touch and I really had to adjust to it.
Motion controls looked more precise than I'm used to, my phone and the sixaxis are pretty jittery by comparison.

I also tried Ridge Racer, which was just that, not really notable or impressive looking. Super Stardust looked really sharp, almost 3D with amazing colors and used shaking for smart-bombs. Gravity Daze (or whatever it is called now) looked cool, especially the amazing looking animation of the character's hair. Controls took a bit of getting used to and I personally don't really care for the cartoon outline effects. Had a quick look at Hustle Kings, which looked similar to the PS3 version, so quite nice.

The menus were smooth and responsive, the menu buttons look like shiny Mentos.

There was someone from Sony who brought his own Vita and the round metallic buttons on the top of the device, together with the memory and cartridge covers looked really cool. The Sony representatives made sure that people understood this was not the PSP and different from gaming on a phone. Ofcourse the Vita isn't as revolutionary as the PSP was, so I hope it will succeed despite that. Interest in it was okay, but no crowds, I had no trouble trying it as long as I wanted to.

The much improved display is the star of the show, vidid, smooth and detailed. I did miss stereo-3D a bit, but it would have had to be better than the too narrow sweet-spot of the 3DS.

Kafel

Banned
To those of you ordering on amazon.fr, I'd gladly take your 5 € discounts if they're locked to the French PSN. : )

Kuran

Banned
Thanks, seems like a great price. I ordered from Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de before. Very satisfied with their delivery times. Anyone any experience with shipping from Amazon France?

edit: seems that there's no free shipping on amazon.fr ( order below is a wifi Vita with free 8gb card )

Récapitulatif de commande
Articles : EUR 263,66
Livraison : EUR 15,35
Total : EUR 279,01
Bon de réduction: -EUR 34,82
Montant total : EUR 244,19

Still...not a bad price, but when you include a game, there no difference with amazon.co.uk

Where do you live?

Kuran

Banned
Hm, if I can just wait a few weeks I can buy my Vita in the US and save some money.. I guess that is the sensible thing to do.

DBT85

Video looks great, I cannot listen to the audio on it at all though. It's just ridiculous. I really hope that 2D games make a resurgence after everyone pretty much went "WE MUST HAVE 3D!" way back when. Rayman, Putty Squad and this are a great start on that front. Now someone ask Kotick to give Naughty Dog the Bandicoot license so they can make a final game, in 2D on the Vita and I'll be happy.

Holy shit. Can anyone double confirm that this works? Haha..

I've just ordered a WiFi and a card and then cancelled the Wifi and the order value changed from £220 to £28 so no, when you cancel the Vita you don;t get the card for free. Even if the system let it happen you know Amazon won't as it'll be all over the web by Monday lunchtime lol.

On a related note. That nice Thrustmaster VIP case has jumped fro about number 40 on Amazons best sellers to number 7 since I posted those images here and then a couple of sites (Eurogamer and others) posted articles about them. There are going to be some nicely dressed Vita's in the UK come Feb 22nd!

Digishine

Banned
Video looks great, I cannot listen to the audio on it at all though. It's just ridiculous. I really hope that 2D games make a resurgence after everyone pretty much went "WE MUST HAVE 3D!" way back when. Rayman, Putty Squad and this are a great start on that front. Now someone ask Kotick to give Naughty Dog the Bandicoot license so they can make a final game, in 2D on the Vita and I'll be happy.

I've just ordered a WiFi and a card and then cancelled the Wifi and the order value changed from £220 to £28 so no, when you cancel the Vita you don;t get the card for free. Even if the system let it happen you know Amazon won't as it'll be all over the web by Monday lunchtime lol.

On a related note. That nice Thrustmaster VIP case has jumped fro about number 40 on Amazons best sellers to number 7 since I posted those images here and then a couple of sites (Eurogamer and others) posted articles about them. There are going to be some nicely dressed Vita's in the UK come Feb 22nd!

I received a coupon that when you buy the memory card of 8gb and redeem the coupon it would become £0. And my order is still there for £0.

As I can read from your post you just order it today. well other who preorder in december/november get's an email of amazon with 2 code's to redeem your free memory card + £15 game like I received yesterday .

ifWVabk29jUPz.png

ifoVzbQU9S5zm.png

DBT85

I received a coupon that when you buy the memory card of 8gb and redeem the coupon it would become £0. And my order is still there for £0.

As I can read from your post you just order it today. well other who preorder in december/november get's an email of amazon with 2 code's to redeem your free memory card + £15 game like I received yesterday .

Ahh so it's free because you got the code.

Interesting. I still cannot believe they'll let that fly though. They'll surely see that they are shipping out 5,000 vitas and 8,000 free memory cards lol.

Top Bottom