• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation Vita In 2011-2012

Gaspode_T

Some lulz - Google is auto correcting "vita" on some queries to be "Vista" for lots of Microsoft love.

I'm kind of tempted by both Ragnarok and Tales of Innocence, if only these games were 2800 yen each (by standard) instead of 5000 and I would easily get both. Vita games being too expensive is just about the system's only big fault IMO (but most Japanese don't care about this point so I guess it won't matter here)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm kind of tempted by both Ragnarok and Tales of Innocence, if only these games were 2800 yen each (by standard) instead of 5000 and I would easily get both. Vita games being too expensive is just about the system's only big fault IMO (but most Japanese don't care about this point so I guess it won't matter here)
Game prices ale lower than some PSP titles, so I don't really understand what you're getting at.

Eusis

Game prices ale lower than some PSP titles, so I don't really understand what you're getting at.
In THAT case it's more something that can be broadly applied to Japanese new releases anyway, probably the only platform without them is iOS.

Gaspode_T

I think PSP prices often being 6000 or more is basically as crazy as it was when I paid like $100 for FF3 and SF2 Turbo on SNES. It's almost like an unbalanced market thing where the rest of the world prices are being pushed down but Japan is just as high if not higher (wasn't Tales of Innocence a DS game?)

Anyway, my argument is more like, if I were some Japanese dude working real hard for my money I would probably buy only one 5000 yen game but if they were 2800 I might find myself buying 2 which is higher tie ratio and actually more overall money being spent, but the industry here doesn't seem to agree with me that lower prices would be good for japan game industry.

Eusis

It IS possible we're simply at opposite extremes anyway. Handheld games are way more ambitious than they were in the 90s, where we've gone from just below NES on average to about PS1 and midway between PS2/PS3 depending on the system.

Gaspode_T

5000Yen for japanese people is like 25-30$ for americans

Kind of and not really at the same time, most salaries in Japan do not offer huge amounts of disposable income but it's true people are used to dropping $100 here and there without blinking (sometimes people will spend $100 just one night out of drinking/food)

There is definitely a culture of buying only a few games a year and obsessively playing them until all the juice is extracted. Lots of people only play Monster Hunter etc which is maybe part of the reason why Vita is having such a slow start.

$29 is a price point that is being chased after with basically no marketplace in the world right now. XBL/PSN are max $15, retail is $50 to $60, mobile is max $5 unless you're crazy like Square. I thought $30 or so would be a nice sweet spot for the reality of Vita / 3DS (kind of like retail games but not really), it's just my feeling about it

i have some questions

1 - Can 2 vitas share the same psn account?

2 - If yes, how do you synch the trophies on both?

3 - Can you share the slots of retail games you bought on psn, like uncharted or umvc3?

thank you very much

Eusis

i have some questions

1 - Can 2 vitas share the same psn account?

2 - If yes, how do you synch the trophies on both?

3 - Can you share the slots of retail games you bought on psn, like uncharted or umvc3?

thank you very much
1 - 2 and no more than that (also no PSPs)
2 - Dunno, guess however it works on PS3 right now.
3 - Do you mean download on the two systems? Probably. Anything else? May need to clarify that, save slots probably depends on the game.

Are there any FPS games released at launch
Nope.

What a missed opportunity too - considering how significant the dual analogs are, an AAA original FPS franchise from Sony Bend or Cambridge could've been Vita's own Halo, a system definer. Hell, why not resurrect that cancelled PSP David Jaffe FPS?

First-party lineup sucks ass for someone fatigued by LBP, Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance, etc etc...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nope.

What a missed opportunity too - considering how significant the dual analogs are, an AAA original FPS franchise from Sony Bend or Cambridge could've been Vita's own Halo, a system definer. Hell, why not resurrect that cancelled PSP David Jaffe FPS?

First-party lineup sucks ass for someone fatigued by LBP, Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance, etc etc...

Gravity Rush ?

Gravity Rush ?
Yes, but the excitement surrounding that title only highlights how misguided Sony was to devote so many of its developers' resources to Vita spinoffs of its successful PS3 games.

Imagine what Sony Bend could've done had it not been shackled to ND's scraps these past 3 years, or what Liverpool's amazing artists could've done other than Wipeout, or what Cambridge and Clap Hanz could've done.

PS3 rose from the ashes partly because of an incredibly ambitious, unprecedented push for new franchises that had mass appeal and fresh ideas. You couldn't find LBP, Uncharted, Infamous, Heavy Rain, Modnation Racers, MAG etc. anywhere else. And even earlier, you had Resistance, Motorstorm, and the like.

To put it another way...the developers behind "Pain" and the now-laughable "SOCOM" get to create an original franchise in the form of Ruin and Unit 13, yet Sony Bend hasn't earned a chance yet? I am extremely excited about MM's supposed Vita original game, but it should've come before yet another LBP.

Yes, but the excitement surrounding that title only highlights how misguided Sony was to devote so many of its developers' resources to Vita spinoffs of its successful PS3 games.

Imagine what Sony Bend could've done had it not been shackled to ND's scraps these past 3 years, or what Liverpool's amazing artists could've done other than Wipeout, or what Cambridge and Clap Hanz could've done.

PS3 rose from the ashes partly because of an incredibly ambitious, unprecedented push for new franchises that had mass appeal and fresh ideas. You couldn't find LBP, Uncharted, Infamous, Heavy Rain, Modnation Racers, MAG etc. anywhere else. And even earlier, you had Resistance, Motorstorm, and the like.

To put it another way...the developers behind "Pain" and the now-laughable "SOCOM" get to create an original franchise in the form of Ruin and Unit 13, yet Sony Bend hasn't earned a chance yet? I am extremely excited about MM's supposed Vita original game, but it should've come before yet another LBP.

Uncharted GA happened to be a really good game, some people will swore that they like it better than Uncharted 3. also, Sony Bend's first game pitch after they work on Resistance Retribution happened to be Retribution 2, it didn't give me the impression they have some new IP idea that they wanted to make.

LBP Vita is not made by Media Molecule.

Eusis

Yeah, Lumines would've been a no brainer even though I don't care as much for it as some do, but $40's too much for me to spend on a puzzle game. $30 would've been fine though.
Nope. What ever happened to Vita Call of Duty?
You know? I think there's a very strong possibility "Vita Call of Duty" is just going to be a port of Treyarch's next game. They never bothered distinguishing them as separate titles after CoD2, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Vita could handle a scaled back version given how they've reliably released those games on Wii.

KAL2006

Banned
So I have heard Vita is not doing so good in Japan, if Sony want to save the Vita, they need to have a price drop and even release a new color such as the white Vita. They need to announce a new Monster Hunter, whether it's Portable 3 G or Portable 4. Announce more Japanese games such as Ace Attorney 4, Phantasy Star and Kingdom Hearts.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So I have heard Vita is not doing so good in Japan, if Sony want to save the Vita, they need to have a price drop and even release a new color such as the white Vita. They need to announce a new Monster Hunter, whether it's Portable 3 G or Portable 4. Announce more Japanese games such as Ace Attorney 4, Phantasy Star and Kingdom Hearts.
I don't know why but I don't see Ace Attorney 4 on Vita, especially since the previous games have all been on Nintendo platforms (plus PC and iOS).

Wazzim

Banned

They don't need a price drop, a good MH or PS game will be more than enough next to smaller Japanese games. Throw in some new color for the holidays and they're set in Japan.

KAL2006

Banned
One thing I realised about Vita, this cross platform play will never happen between PS3/Vita. Of course for smaller games like WipeOut, MotorStorm RC and Ruin excluded. I am saying games like COD, FIFA, Mortal Kombat won't have cross platform online play like I first thought, mainly because the Vita just cannot handle those games, take Mortal Kombat for example, the backgrounds and character models got a downgrade, and it seems tag has also been removed from the game.

StuBurns

Banned
Utter nonsense. Even if PSV can't have a 'perfect port' of a PS3 game, that means nothing to it's ability to have cross platform play. I could play Crysis Wars cranked to max versus someone playing it on low, and the difference would be more than a whole console generation, it makes no difference.

Raonak

Banned
In reality, all they need in japan is a monster hunter and then it'll be smooth sailing.

One thing I realised about Vita, this cross platform play will never happen between PS3/Vita. Of course for smaller games like WipeOut, MotorStorm RC and Ruin excluded. I am saying games like COD, FIFA, Mortal Kombat won't have cross platform online play like I first thought, mainly because the Vita just cannot handle those games, take Mortal Kombat for example, the backgrounds and character models got a downgrade, and it seems tag has also been removed from the game.

you don't seem to know how online games work.
They don't send graphics or anything like that over the internet. All they send is information. where players are, what they're doing, their weapons, their health, where bullets are, locations of everything etc.

your version of the game will get that data and apply it. for mortal kombat, all it would send over the internet is button inputs. your game recieves the enemie's inputs and applies it to the enemy character onscreen, which makes him do the actions. and vice versa. Backgrounds, graphics, models are loaded from your disk, and not from data recieved online, no graphics or audio is sent over.

It doesn't matter if one version is made of PS1 graphics and the other with PS3 graphics. aslong as the data that is sent/recieved is the same format, then the game should be compatible.

Utter nonsense. Even if PSV can't have a 'perfect port' of a PS3 game, that means nothing to it's ability to have cross platform play. I could play Crysis Wars cranked to max versus someone playing it on low, and the difference would be more than a whole console generation, it makes no difference.

Pretty much this, that statement makes no sense.

And what means "smaller games"? low budget? because Wipeout 2048 doesn´t look "smaller" in any way

Mario007

In reality, all they need in japan is a monster hunter and then it'll be smooth sailing.

or dragonquest...but the problem is nintendo seems to have them both fairly locked on their platforms.

then again psv doesn't need japan if there is an exclusive COD game, hyped as the second coming.

also a lot of japanese developers are stil releasing psp games for the first half of this year, the shift to vita will full start from then on

Pachimari

Is there a place where I can see the European launch line-up?
Is Gravity Rush still supposed to be out by day one? Digital only? Or by retail?

Wazzim

Banned
I think it's silly to conclude that because the current engines are not optimized for the Vita, games released in the 2nd half of 2012 should be much different in that aspect.
A perfect example is GTA on the PSP. The system supposedly could not handle flying according to Rockstar when developing Liberty City Stories but then they achieved that with Vice City Stories.
It's crazy to think that the Vita launch games reflect the potential of the system when comparing them to end of life-cycle console games.

KAL2006

Banned

True I hope you are right. I am just a bit disappointed that Mortal Kombat, FIFA, UMvC3 and etc don't support cross platform online play. Hopefully that is because they are launch window games.

StuBurns

Banned
It's crazy to think that the Vita launch games reflect the potential of the system when comparing them to end of life-cycle console games.
I was surprised at how good it looks in person actually, I think it certainly looks better than anything at the start of this console generation. I'll be surprised if it reaches the same lofty GoW3esque heights, but it's looking on par for the screen resolution/size for sure.

Wazzim

Banned
True I hope you are right. I am just a bit disappointed that Mortal Kombat, FIFA, UMvC3 and etc don't support cross platform online play. Hopefully that is because they are launch window games.

The director of FIFA himself said that they needed to create a 'foundation' upon which they'll build future FIFA games with extra features like cross-platform play for Vita.

EDIT: beaten

KAL2006

Banned
I really don't expect Vita graphics to improve as say how early PS3 games were to late PS3 games or even early PS2/PSP games were to late PS2/PSP games. The reason I think this is because Vita is made of common components to phones and tablets which developers are used to, it is not something crazy like the Cell from PS3 which developers need to get their minds around, basically I expect games to improve graphically on Vita, but not as much as some people in this thread asume based on comparisons to early PS3 and late PS3 games.

EDIT: good to know about FIFA, hopefully future FIFA games have cross platform play, that could very well push the Vita in Europe

Rich!

I really don't expect Vita graphics to improve as say how early PS3 games were to late PS3 games or even early PS2/PSP games were to late PS2/PSP games. The reason I think this is because Vita is made of common components to phones and tablets which developers are used to, it is not something crazy like the Cell from PS3 which developers need to get their minds around, basically I expect games to improve graphically on Vita, but not as much as some people in this thread asume based on comparisons to early PS3 and late PS3 games.

what

That makes no fucking sense. Look at the 360 - easily comparable to development on the PC, yet the difference between launch 360 games and say...one released in 2011 like Skyrim is staggering.

just stop

Tratorn

EDIT: good to know about FIFA, hopefully future FIFA games have cross platform play, that could very well push the Vita in Europe

Well, it just depends on the success of the vita.
If it is going to be a success and sells a good amount of software, the publishers will invest more money in the games, which leads automatically in more polished games with better visuals.

Raonak

Banned
Oh man, that will be awesome. I certainly hope they do the same with Madden, NHL, Tiger, NBA Elite...

Only downside is that we'll get haters saying vita only has ports :(
and when it gets something exclusive they'll beg for console versions. :(

there is no winning.

Wazzim

Banned
Game developers in the console space never worked with 'smartphone' hardware before and those who did never got the time to really squeeze everything out of them because of budget constraints.
Xbox 360 on the other hand, had a very 'common' structure much like the PC. Now look at Halo 3 and compare it to Halo Reach, the difference is huge.

As with everything, time will tell.

KAL2006

Banned
If any FIFA in the future have cross platform play, they need to advertise the feature to the masses, make sure they advertise, that you can play online against both VIta and PS3 players (keeping the friend list intact, no matter what platform you friend has) also advertise cloud saving, where you can continue your master league from a PS3 save to the Vita.

If Sony were smart, they would advertise this feature in a commercial, release Vita FIFA bundle. I could see the Vita selling quite well in Europe if this was the case. New FIFA's usually releases around end of September to early October. They should prepare for this maybe with a Vita price drop for Christmas as well, I can imagine Vita price drop + FIFA 2013 (which supports cross platform play) for Christmas being quite a big deal in Europe.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Oh man, that will be awesome. I certainly hope they do the same with Madden, NHL, Tiger, NBA Elite...
Exclusive preview of NBA Elite on Vita:
DAkeH.jpg

Tratorn

If any FIFA in the future have cross platform play, they need to advertise the feature to the masses, make sure they advertise, that you can play online against both VIta and PS3 players (keeping the friend list intact, no matter what platform you friend has) also advertise cloud saving, where you can continue your master league from a PS3 save to the Vita.

If Sony were smart, they would advertise this feature in a commercial, release Vita FIFA bundle. I could see the Vita selling quite well in Europe if this was the case. New FIFA's usually releases around end of September to early October. They should prepare for this maybe with a Vita price drop for Christmas as well, I can imagine Vita price drop + FIFA 2013 (which supports cross platform play) for Christmas being quite a big deal in Europe.

Yeah and do the same with CoD and advertise it in the US.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think KAL is trying desperately to convince himself he can skip Vita after he posted he had second thoughts about a launch purchase, hence all these weird fuzzy arguments and FUD.

I know its been discussed, but this thing is classy as fuck. Will probably pre-order it along with a Vita on Amazon later today.

Got a chance to play a Vita at last in GAME. Fired up Gravity Rush, man its so weird to play a full on HD console third person adventure game on a portable. A real moment of "hang on... woah". The analogs really are dinky, but oddly comfortable, and loved the subtle gyro aiming. Thats gonna play havoc with playing other games on other systems without that. Also quickly fired up Super Stardust, looks gorgeous on that goddam OLED, before letting a queue of other people behind me have a go.

Raonak

Banned
Anyone who has a PS3 + PSV, does the PSV take bubbled games, or installed games?

ie: when you download a game, it is in bubble form, and then you can install it.
since fw4.0, games couldn't transfer to the PSP if they were installed. So you needed to have the bubbled versions downloaded.

Top Bottom