• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation Vita In 2011-2012

KAL2006

Banned
I think KAL is trying desperately to convince himself he can skip Vita after he posted he had second thoughts about a launch purchase, hence all these weird fuzzy arguments and FUD.

I think you got me wrong, I am probably one of the biggest Vita supporter in this forum. I am just to looking at everything realistically and hoping Vita doesn't turn out to be the next Xperia Play or NeoGeo Pocket. There have been a few disappointments lately about Vita such as not being able to play unconverted avi's video files like the PS3, weird region locking such as simply being able to sign in Jap account and downloading a digital game like PS3, without needing to format and swap memory cards. Some games not running at Vita's native screen resolution. And games like MK, FIFA and Modnation Racers not having extensive online modes like the console versions. And finally not many games having cross online play. But hopefully some of the problems I have stated are fixed in the future which I am sure will happen.

The reason I am not buying Vita straight away is because I am waiting out for a decent bundle offer or a price drop which I suspect will happen at the latest by this Christmas. I am just hoping Sony don't let the Vita die, and support it, the launch line up is one of the best I have ever seen, but there isn't much in line in the future. Sony really need to have a strategy, say for Christmas in Japan they will have new white color Vita, price drop and Monster Hunter or/and other popular japanese games such as Ace Attorney 4. For Christmas in Europe have a Vita price drop, new color and the FIFA 13 (which supports cross platform play) with heavy marketing for the cross platform play feature.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think you're getting cold feet mostly and paying a lot more attention to tiny insignificant issues and falling into hyperbole traps with comparisons to Xperia Play and the fucking Neo Geo Pocket :lol. Launch games are always going to lack the fully fleshed out online modes and so-forth, especially from third parties. If you cant afford it, of course you're gonna wait for a price-drop, but dont let that colour your entire perception of the system's future.

Sony's obviously going to support this thing all the way, and of course theyre not pulling the veil on all the other stuff they have lined up because they want people to buy at launch period and focus on all the ace launch titles rather than feeding the "will wait for price drop/when _____ comes out", business is business. Theres a fair chunk of stuff to look forward to up until E3 time. LBP Vita is on its way, Dragons Crown, Warior's Lair/Ruin, that Resistance game I think looks a bit too bunk to push, Killzone in the works, Kojima's pledge for his new project to be transfarr-tastic, Persona 4 Golden, and more.

Bare in mind the PSP is currently 7 years old, and this is the first year it can be looked at as definitely dying, even in the west. Moreso than Nintendo, Sony have more than enough dev studios to support 2 platforms simultaneously.

I think you got me wrong, I am probably one of the biggest Vita supporter in this forum. I am just to looking at everything realistically and hoping Vita doesn't turn out to be the next Xperia Play or NeoGeo Pocket. There have been a few disappointments lately about Vita such as not being able to play unconverted avi's video files like the PS3, weird region locking such as simply being able to sign in Jap account and downloading a digital game like PS3, without needing to format and swap memory cards. Some games not running at Vita's native screen resolution. And games like MK, FIFA and Modnation Racers not having extensive online modes like the console versions. And finally not many games having cross online play. But hopefully some of the problems I have stated are fixed in the future which I am sure will happen.

The reason I am not buying Vita straight away is because I am waiting out for a decent bundle offer or a price drop which I suspect will happen at the latest by this Christmas. I am just hoping Sony don't let the Vita die, and support it, the launch line up is one of the best I have ever seen, but there isn't much in line in the future. Sony really need to have a strategy, say for Christmas in Japan they will have new white color Vita, price drop and Monster Hunter or/and other popular japanese games such as Ace Attorney 4. For Christmas in Europe have a Vita price drop, new color and the FIFA 13 (which supports cross platform play) with heavy marketing for the cross platform play feature.

not saying that switching account isn't annoying, but you don't need to format memory card when you switch account. the game on your memory card will still be displayed even when you already switched to different account, you just got message that you can't play them since it's not on the account that buy them.

so you don't need to have 2 mem card, just buy 1 big card and dump all your games from whatever account to that cards. you just need to remember which game belong to which account when you want to play them.

some demos is still playable even in different account, so it's up to developer whether to region lock their games or not. we can only hope some of them offer region free games sometime in the future.

I kind of think Sony is playing the long game at the moment, and they do have a history of not giving up on their products. The Vita is the first major hardware launch after the departure of Crazy Ken and the guys in charge seem to have taken a pragmatic approach every step of the way.

I'm personally more concerned about the big 3rd party publishers and their lazy feature stripped ports.

Having said that though I don't tend to buy their blockbuster mainstream games any way, I'm more interested by stuff like Sound Shapes and Escape Plan and hope the Vita can provide a platform for those type of games can flourish.

test_account

XP-39C²
Lads, Do you think Vita will get on the list for big AAA mulitplatform games in future? Games like skyrim for example?
It probably depends on how much it cost to do the port. If porting is cheap and rely on relatively few sales to break even, then i would say yes. But if the porting rely on selling a lot of copies, then ports might not be very common.

yurinka

Finally I preorder that in fnac.es (Spain) :

-Vita Wifi + card 16GB + Uncharted + Wipeout 2048 + Lumines = 380€

In addition to that and the stuff included in the preorder, you get 2 pointers for free and 15€ coupon to spend in Vita games in April.

Since I have the customer card, I have 5% off in everything. With games and accesories purchased with the device if preordered you get additional 15% off.

http://www.fnac.es/juegos/Reserva-PS-Vita/s17799?bl=HGACblo1

Don't worry, man.

-Regarding the video stuff, remember all the improvements the PS3 and PSP OS had. I think it's very likely to see similar improvements in Vita, and that includes additional video codecs support.
-About weird region lock: we still have to see what happens once we have EU and US PSN stores up, and retail games to check it.
-Games not running in native resolution: I played Golden Abbyss and it looks georgeous in that screen. Yes, it may look better at native res, but believe me, the issue is not as noticiable than in HD consoles with huge displays compared to Vita screen. I think most people even won't notice it. And well, these are launch games, they can improve their engines in the future (even I think there will be more in the future without native res).
-Games like MK, FIFA, Modnation not getting online : they are the first generation of games for the console. Specially the launch games have been developed using prototypes and not the final hardware, so they had to invest more in R&D than in the games themselves and they rushed their development in order to get the games ready for launch window (or close). Make sure the 2nd generation of games will have better visuals, performance, online modes, cross onlne play etc.
-FIFA 13 is confirmed, Monster Hunter Portable 3, 3G or similar is almost confirmed even in US, and Ace Attorney 5 doesn't have known platform so who knows if it's going to be released in Vita. Ace Atorney 1-3 HD are going to be released in Android, so it's very likely to see them in PS Suite (that includes Vita).

With the current line-up, I think the only market properly covered is Europe. I think US market needs several great FPS (Bioshock Vita and CoD Vita won't be released soon I think), and Japan needs stuff like Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney etc (FFXHD and MGSHD collection are coming, but I think they won't be really huge).

Eusis

Lads, Do you think Vita will get on the list for big AAA mulitplatform games in future? Games like skyrim for example?
Depends on who they're from and what they're going for I think. Kojima Productions for example is apparently slated to release ALL upcoming games on the Vita, whereas I don't think something like Skyrim is Vita friendly (though maybe friendlier to that in ways than the PS3).

KAL2006

Banned
I kind of think Sony is playing the long game at the moment, and they do have a history of not giving up on their products. The Vita is the first major hardware launch after the departure of Crazy Ken and the guys in charge seem to have taken a pragmatic approach every step of the way.

I'm personally more concerned about the big 3rd party publishers and their lazy feature stripped ports.

Having said that though I don't tend to buy their blockbuster mainstream games any way, I'm more interested by stuff like Sound Shapes and Escape Plan and hope the Vita can provide a platform for those type of games can flourish.

The long game is fine, but if the sales are not too hot for a long time, the system could end up dead, which means developers won't support it with software. I remember reading somewhere Sony will first focus on the hardcore, and then start focussing on the casuals later in the consoles life (I'm guessing after price drop). I think the Vita needs a decent Christmas this time to be successful, of course continue to release games throughout the year such as Mortal Kombat, LittleBigPlanet, Persona 4, SFxT, Dragon's Crown, Ruin and etc. But for Christmas they need to start aiming to sell to the mass market, they need to first drop the price and have a appealing color such as the white Vita. Finally they need mass market games like Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy for Japan and FIFA 13 (with full cross platform features, which are heavily advertised) and Call of Duty for the west.

Kafel

Banned

Day 1 ports you mean ? Because the Vita is already on the list for AAA ports with UMVC3, SFvT VT4, MGS HD, ZoE HD, FIFA ... Same experience (not gimped) on Vita.

KAL2006

Banned
Day 1 ports you mean ? Because the Vita is already on the list for AAA ports with UMVC3, SFvT VT4, MGS HD, ZoE HD ...

UMvC3, VT4 and th eHD remasters are not really good examples. Games like Virtua Tennis and fighters are not really expansive and HD remasters don't really push the PS3. I'd like to see something like Red Dead Redemption, Skyrim, hell or even games like Twisted Metal and Batman Arkham Asylum on Vita.

areal

So I have heard Vita is not doing so good in Japan, if Sony want to save the Vita, they need to have a price drop and even release a new color such as the white Vita. They need to announce a new Monster Hunter, whether it's Portable 3 G or Portable 4. Announce more Japanese games such as Ace Attorney 4, Phantasy Star and Kingdom Hearts.

They should prepare for this maybe with a Vita price drop for Christmas as well, I can imagine Vita price drop + FIFA 2013 (which supports cross platform play) for Christmas being quite a big deal in Europe.

Sony really need to have a strategy, say for Christmas in Japan they will have new white color Vita, price drop and Monster Hunter or/and other popular japanese games such as Ace Attorney 4. For Christmas in Europe have a Vita price drop, new color and the FIFA 13 (which supports cross platform play) with heavy marketing for the cross platform play feature.

But for Christmas they need to start aiming to sell to the mass market, they need to first drop the price and have a appealing color such as the white Vita. Finally they need mass market games like Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy for Japan and FIFA 13 (with full cross platform features, which are heavily advertised) and Call of Duty for the west.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP_Z7EJ10RM

Tobor

The future of Western development on the Vita makes me the most nervous about my purchase. They're almost completely avoiding it right now, and I don't think the launch will push enough units to change their minds. Maybe E3 will see some announcements.

In the short term, I've trimmed my memory card purchase back to the 8GB to try and minimize my investment in the platform. If the system takes off, I'll buy the inevitable 64GB card.

Kuran

Banned

Uh, if you are a Vita supporter you should vote with your wallet. Not wait for a price drop until the Vita becomes another Dreamcast.

249USD is a good price for the hardware, and there are plenty of deals out there to get a free memory card.

That 'I'll wait for Fifa 13 to have cross-platform-play' comment is making my ears bleed. Did EA even mention that it would have? Who cares?

PS. You obviously like the Vita, are you really going to wait 11months for a price-drop just to be able to pay USD50 less? You will always be able to sell your old Vita second-hand in case a cheaper white version comes out.

In case you didn't know, PW isn't in the PSV version.

Wow.. my heart is breaking.. :(

I don't know why but I don't see Ace Attorney 4 on Vita, especially since the previous games have all been on Nintendo platforms (plus PC and iOS).

Dunno, I expected Good People Die only on 3DS and Capcom is not very trustworthy lately :p It would be cool if it's multiplatform, more sales for a series that really really needs them.

Kuran

Banned
Dunno, I expected Good People Die only on 3DS and Capcom is not very trustworthy lately :p It would be cool if it's multiplatform, more sales for a series that really really needs them.

Hasn't PW4 been confirmed for iOS too? That might increase your odds.

Now imagine Ghost Trick on Vita's screen.

MightyKAC

Uh, if you are a Vita supporter you should vote with your wallet. Not wait for a price drop until the Vita becomes another Dreamcast.

Pretty much this.

No matter what happens to the Vita I'm glad to able to say I fully supported what was in my eyes THE perfect handheld device.

Wow blazblue and umvc3 both look fantastic. Really impressed with how good the port is. Cant wait for mortal kombat as well! Psv is looking awesome for handheld fighters!

Binabik15

Pretty much this.

No matter what happens to the Vita I'm glad to able to say I fully supported what was in my eyes THE perfect handheld device.
With this launch line-up I don't care about paying more than after a pricedrop so and so many months later. In the end you save equal to one or two full priced games, who cares. I'd rather have months and months of additional opportunity to play.

I'll wait on a case, though, until there's more choice and impressions.

Kuran

Banned
sony_psp_protector_case.jpg

I used this for my PSP (in white), it was simple, slim, and protected my PSP perfectly fine.

For Vita I'm not so sure what to get yet.. the Sony case that doubles as a stand looks high quality.. but I don't need something so obtuse. I want to be able to hold my Vita without any crap on it.

Do we have any idea of the downloadable sizes of some of the Vita games? Specifically, Wipeout and Everybody's Golf?

I've got my Vita coming with a 4gb card, but would prefer to spend my money on the aforementioned games, rather than upgrading the memory.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

249USD is a good price for the hardware, and there are plenty of deals out there to get a free memory card.

That 'I'll wait for Fifa 13 to have cross-platform-play' comment is making my ears bleed. Did EA even mention that it would have? Who cares?

PS. You obviously like the Vita, are you really going to wait 11months for a price-drop just to be able to pay USD50 less? You will always be able to sell your old Vita second-hand in case a cheaper white version comes out.

KAL has easily been one of the biggest Vita supporters on this board since the announcement. I'm kind of stunned to see him wavering on a launch day purchase, but it IS his choice. If he finds the price to be a bit absurd right now, then he absolutely should not "vote with his wallet" to show support now.

Kuran

Banned
KAL has easily been one of the biggest Vita supporters on this board since the announcement. I'm kind of stunned to see him wavering on a launch day purchase, but it IS his choice. If he find the price to be a bit absurd right now, than he absolutely should not "vote with his wallet" to show support now.

Maybe KAL just needs a second job?

Cookie18

Do we have any idea of the downloadable sizes of some of the Vita games? Specifically, Wipeout and Everybody's Golf?

I've got my Vita coming with a 4gb card, but would prefer to spend my money on the aforementioned games, rather than upgrading the memory.

Uncharted is around 4gb so I would assume that is the highest end of game sizes.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
THE DEED... IS DONE.

Jumped on the amazon.co.uk bundle deal and have picked up:

- PlayStation Vita (Wi-Fi only)
- PS Vita Memory Card 8GB Model
- Thrustmaster V.I.P Case for PS Vita
= £236

A bundled mem-card really solved any misgivings I'd have about any launch price really, and while 8gb may need a bit of fridge cleaning, for free and to wait out the other sizes dropping in price like stones is more than acceptable.

Will be looking to play Gravity Rush, Uncharted: GA, Wipeout and Super Stardust Delta at launch. Launch line up of the forever.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For PSone games, how are you supposed to play them on PS3 and Vita? Do you have to download them twice? Download and install to play on PS3, then download again and keep in bubble for Vita?

Is GTI club on PSP any good? Loved the arcade game but don't remember it on PSP.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nah, Uncharted is 2,7GB.

BB and another game (can't remember which one) are bigger.

WipEout 2048 is 1,6GB and HSG is 1,2GB.

Thats fine. buy uncharted on card and leave it in your Vita to save memory card space. HSG and Wipeout are small enough to go on memory card plus they both have multiplayer so will benefit from being resident on your Vita for quick launching.

Kuran

Banned
For PSone games, how are you supposed to play them on PS3 and Vita? Do you have to download them twice? Download and install to play on PS3, then download again and keep in bubble for Vita?

Is GTI club on PSP any good? Loved the arcade game but don't remember it on PSP.

Eh, it was ok. You should buy Outrun Coast 2 Coast instead if you haven't.

Binabik15

sony_psp_protector_case.jpg

I used this for my PSP (in white), it was simple, slim, and protected my PSP perfectly fine.

For Vita I'm not so sure what to get yet.. the Sony case that doubles as a stand looks high quality.. but I don't need something so obtuse. I want to be able to hold my Vita without any crap on it.

I loved that pouch for my Slim PSP, but Vita's raised sticks worry me. I don't want them to snap off.

I had that super sturdy Logitech case for my original Phat, but all that weight and bulk was uncomfortable and harder to fit in my backpack's seperate compartement for fragile stuff. I don't really want to go back to a huge case.

Bumhead

Banned
A bundled mem-card really solved any misgivings I'd have about any launch price really

Exactly the same here.

The memory card issue annoyed me as much as anything else, but I also didn't like the idea of "hidden" costs making the Vita realistically more than the £230 advertised.

With Amazon's deal, I save £10 on the cost of the unit and get a higher capacity memory card for free. Hard for me to turn that down.

Got WiFi Vita, 8GB card and Wipeout 2048 arriving. Can't wait.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I might go for this then..

04-PS-Vita-case.jpg

Since it allows me to enjoy the Vita's design, but keep it snug.
I'm using this. Won't post the picture for the 5th time because I don't want to be accused of boasting with my SNES, but belive me, it's good.

Top Bottom