• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation Vita In 2011-2012

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What's up with Modnation Racers demo? I tried that one out as well and, man, it was pretty awful. Lengthy loading times (a staple for the series) mixed with a god awful framerate and ugly visuals really kills any appeal it might otherwise have.

The rest of the demos were solid, but Modnation was just terrible. Is there any indication that the final game will run any faster?

What's up with Modnation Racers demo? I tried that one out as well and, man, it was pretty awful. Lengthy loading times (a staple for the series) mixed with a god awful framerate and ugly visuals really kills any appeal it might otherwise have.

The rest of the demos were solid, but Modnation was just terrible. Is there any indication that the final game will run any faster?

30fps with copious slowdown, and the cars don't even cast shadows of any kind on the track. Gotta love it.

DBT85

I know its been discussed, but this thing is classy as fuck. Will probably pre-order it along with a Vita on Amazon later today.

Before letting a queue of other people behind me have a go.

Yes it is great looking and I cant wait for mine!

It's nice to hear the word "queue" used about your experience at Game. That means other people are interested!

[ordered]- Thrustmaster V.I.P Case for PS Vita

brofist.jpg

It probably depends on how much it cost to do the port. If porting is cheap and rely on relatively few sales to break even, then i would say yes. But if the porting rely on selling a lot of copies, then ports might not be very common.

Since Sony doesn't moneyhat exclusive games but instead try and entice with content, I'm wondering if Sony might stump up some of the cost of a Vita port and help with its development. In the end it helps them out. If you can buy "Skyrim 2: The Return of Backwards Dragons" on your 360, or on the Playstation "platform" which would allow you to move your save between devices it makes a compelling argument to go with the Sony version. That means more license fees for Sony. Just an idea. And I think we've been told before that porting is fairly simple because the Vita can use all the shaders and crap. Everything just needs lower res textures and lower poly models.

review Wipeout 2048 Eurogamer

They also say that the framerate is not stable...I hope they were playing an older build or the preview version :/
I'm surprised that they had any issues wit the framerate not being stable. Most of the user reviews have said its rock solid and beautiful.

test_account

XP-39C²
30fps with copious slowdown, and the cars don't even cast shadows of any kind on the track. Gotta love it.
Modnation PS3 was also 30fps if i'm not mistaken and it had no effect on the gameplay in my opinion. If the Vita version has slowdown however, that is an issue that affects gameplay. Do you have any videos that shows plenty of slowdowns? And what do you mean that the cars dont cast any kind of shadow on the track?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iLuEcs0729s#t=32s

Since Sony doesn't moneyhat exclusive games but instead try and entice with content, I'm wondering if Sony might stump up some of the cost of a Vita port and help with its development. In the end it helps them out. If you can buy "Skyrim 2: The Return of Backwards Dragons" on your 360, or on the Playstation "platform" which would allow you to move your save between devices it makes a compelling argument to go with the Sony version. That means more license fees for Sony. Just an idea. And I think we've been told before that porting is fairly simple because the Vita can use all the shaders and crap. Everything just needs lower res textures and lower poly models.
Yep, i agree that this is a good idea. I'm sure that we will see some deals where there is some type of cross play between the PS3 and Vita, but i'm not sure if everyone will make such a solution. Only time will tell though :)

1 - 2 and no more than that (also no PSPs)
2 - Dunno, guess however it works on PS3 right now.
3 - Do you mean download on the two systems? Probably. Anything else? May need to clarify that, save slots probably depends on the game.

i mean

can you download a game like uncharted on psn and share it to another vita?

you pay once and download it 2 times into to vitas

nofi

I'm surprised that they had any issues wit the framerate not being stable. Most of the user reviews have said its rock solid and beautiful.

I disagree with a lot of the Eurogamer review, but they're right there - the framerate drops when there's a lot going on.

gembel

Regarding Gravity Rush (Chinese Version), play-asia has confirmed to me that this version ONLY has Chinese subs, no English.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Regarding Gravity Rush (Chinese Version), play-asia has confirmed to me that this version ONLY has Chinese subs, no English.

I was hoping it has full english like other asian versions..oh well,fortunately there is a retail release for the US version.

Takao

Banned
So, Destination Playstation 2012 starts today. We should get some vita related news/announcements out of it, right?

It's a retailer meeting so expect Wal-Mart to shit themselves when they realize they ordered 200k of these unsellable handhelds.

Does Vita have universal/OS-based custom soundtrack support (like 360), or is it a per-game basis like PS3?

Looking forward to putting some tunes on Ridge Racer Vita and Katamari for example...but the fact they have paid DLC music packs for RR makes me think the answer is it's a per-game basis.

Does Vita have universal/OS-based custom soundtrack support (like 360), or is it a per-game basis like PS3?

Looking forward to putting some tunes on Ridge Racer Vita and Katamari for example...but the fact they have paid DLC music packs for RR makes me think the answer is it's a per-game basis.

Universal.

Thoraxes

I played the Gravity Rush demo at Gamestop when I went to preorder both Tales of games coming out soon.

That game is fun as hell and is actually getting a retail release which makes me happy.

neptunes

It's a retailer meeting so expect Wal-Mart to shit themselves when they realize they ordered 200k of these unsellable handhelds.

Wouldn't it be Sony's job to instill confidence? So they would have to show retailers what they have planned for the rest of the year no?

Vercimber

Forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread or on GAF, but has the US version of Gravity Rush been pushed to May for certain?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread or on GAF, but has the US version of Gravity Rush been pushed to May for certain?

iirc there was no release date given in first place for the US release at all in first place, Yoshida sama sensei only said it will be on launch window (first three months I guess?)

aww that sucks. I was looking forward to the game.

Kerrby

Banned

I'm predicting if one game is going to bomb on Vita, it will be this. Poorly made PS3/PSP game with very average sales along with no online multiplayer in the PSVita version that the PS3 and even PSP version had. I shouldn't say no online multiplayer as you can race ghosts from the leaderboard but there's no head to head racing online.

Am I the only one that feels like the coolest thing about the Vita is the AR games and possibilities to come?I find that the single coolest thing about the VIta, otherwise its just a really small PS3 with a screen.

Gustav

Banned
Am I the only one that feels like the coolest thing about the Vita is the AR games and possibilities to come?I find that the single coolest thing about the VIta, otherwise its just a really small PS3 with a touchscreen.

Fixed it. After spending some time with it, the touchscreen is what makes it feel different from a PS3 or even a PSP.

Fixed it. After spending some time with it, the touchscreen is what makes it feel different from a PS3 or even a PSP.

What is the touchscreen like?I have an iphone would you say its very similar?Also do you feel the AR games loose their unique feel very quickly and are more of a 10 minute gimmick at this point?

Am I the only one that feels like the coolest thing about the Vita is the AR games and possibilities to come?I find that the single coolest thing about the VIta, otherwise its just a really small PS3 with a screen.

The 3DS AR stuff has been more gimmick than cool possibilities so far. Based on that, I'm a bit reserved about expecting anything to be cool about it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
What is the touchscreen like?I have an iphone would you say its very similar?Also do you feel the AR games loose their unique feel very quickly and are more of a 10 minute gimmick at this point?
At first I was angry that the screen isn't glass, because it's a bit resistant to flicking if you've only used iPhone so far. That said, I quickly got used to it and now I think it's even better than on iPhone 4.

The 3DS AR stuff has been more gimmick than cool possibilities so far. Based on that, I'm a bit reserved about expecting anything to be cool about it.

Do you feel its stupid to want to get a vita mostly for the AR games?Or do you think that there is a lot of game time to get out of them, and that its worth a purchase?

Do you feel its stupid to want to get a vita mostly for the AR games?Or do you think that there is a lot of game time to get out of them, and that its worth a purchase?

I haven't tried any of the Vita AR stuff, so I can't say for sure, but the 3DS stuff was certainly not worthwhile to center your purchase on and I think Nintendo put a decent amount of effort into it. Heck, I bought Nintendogs soley because of the AR stuff.

I haven't tried any of the Vita AR stuff, so I can't say for sure, but the 3DS stuff was certainly not worthwhile to center your purchase on and I think Nintendo put a decent amount of effort into it. Heck, I bought Nintendogs soley because of the AR stuff.

Maybe your right, I should wait a bit to see if they bring anything out that makes the AR a true show piece, like a full fledged game that uses the different surfaces as levels or something.That Reality fighters looks really interesting.Also will the vita do the whole play a game on your PS3 then carry on playing it on your vita on the move?I heard that somewhere.

Maybe your right, I should wait a bit to see if they bring anything out that makes the AR a true show piece, like a full fledged game that uses the different surfaces as levels or something.That Reality fighters looks really interesting.Also will the vita do the whole play a game on your PS3 then carry on playing it on your vita on the move?I heard that somewhere.

Ya, you can do that if games support it. MLB The Show is going to do that and so is Motorstorm RC.

Ya, you can do that if games support it. MLB The Show is going to do that and so is Motorstorm RC.

I,ll check it out, Ok last question, do you guys feel that the Vita could double as a tablet?I am interested in the ipad 3 because I love playing games on my iphone and watching movies and music ect.But I would never really use an ipad for work purposes, I might take notes on it at most.

Do you feel I could maybe get a vita instead, it obviously has better games,it does movies music pics ect.Do you feel a vita could be an alternative to an ipad in this case?

I,ll check it out, Ok last question, do you guys feel that the Vita could double as a tablet?I am interested in the ipad 3 because I love playing games on my iphone and watching movies and music ect.But I would never really use an ipad for work purposes, I might take notes on it at most.

Do you feel I could maybe get a vita instead, it obviously has better games,it does movies music pics ect.Do you feel a vita could be an alternative to an ipad in this case?

Unless you're just using your tablet to play media, probably not. Even if it's just media, probably not going to replace a tablet. It'll be a lot more limited because the app selection will be by far more limited.

Unless you're just using your tablet to play media, probably not. Even if it's just media, probably not going to replace a tablet. It'll be a lot more limited because the app selection will be by far more limited.

But what it lacks in apps it makes up for in AAA games.You can surf the net on it, in fact besides the apps wouldn't you say the vita is the better way to go, and its half the price of an Ipad, but then again games are really pricey.

But what it lacks in apps it makes up for in AAA games.You can surf the net on it, in fact besides the apps wouldn't you say the vita is the better way to go, and its half the price of an Ipad, but then again games are really pricey.

You have an iPhone; you'd be better off using that instead for that type of stuff.

You have an iPhone; you'd be better off using that instead for that type of stuff.

Yep I have an iphone, so in a way I can still get all the latest apps, so then to buy an ipad 3 just to use for note taking and the apps and movies would make no sense.I think the Vita would be the better option instead of an ipad.Is the vita able to take notes?can you buy a keyboard attachments ?

Piggus

I've had an iPad 2 for almost a year now and there's no way I would replace it with a Vita. I use it for notes, textbooks, web surfing (which amazing on a tablet) etc. The Vita will certain replace the majority of the mobile gaming I do though. And thank god for that. There are some great iOS games and all but the ratio of crap : good is pretty bad. So I'd say the Vita is a good supplement to an iPad. Not an alternative though unless you only want an iPad for games.

Mario007

Yep I have an iphone, so in a way I can still get all the latest apps, so then to buy an ipad 3 just to use for note taking and the apps and movies would make no sense.I think the Vita would be the better option instead of an ipad.Is the vita able to take notes?can you buy a keyboard attachments ?

There's none out as far as I know, but you can use the keyboard on the touch screen

Whats it like surfing the web on the Vita?I think Sony should of tried to make the Vita an alternative to a tablet instead of a supplement.They would have to add on a few extra basics like a note taker,book reading app type program and maybe one or two other things so that people could actually use a vita instead of an ipad for there day to day media and work functions.

I think that might be Vita's downfall because people are still saying they would rather use there ipads for most media they view, and I am sure the head of Sony did not want that to be the case.So ya I think the Wii U has the better direction in trying to replace your Ipad while still offering a AAA game system.

Top Bottom