• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation Vita In 2011-2012

Gustav

Banned
Whats it like surfing the web on the Vita?I think Sony should of tried to make the Vita an alternative to a tablet instead of a supplement.They would have to add on a few extra basics like a note taker,book reading app type program and maybe one or two other things so that people could actually use a vita instead of an ipad for there day to day media and work functions.

I think that might be Vita's downfall because people are still saying they would rather use there ipads for most media they view, and I am sure the head of Sony did not want that to be the case.So ya I think the Wii U has the better direction in trying to replace your Ipad while still offering a AAA game system.

Not satisfying.

Gaspode_T

If you try to use the browser while a game is running maybe majority of the time (for me at least) it throws an error and asks you "Do you want to close <game> so that you can continue?"...I'm like...NO! Of course not! at that time and just kind of annoyed. So maybe difficult to use for GameFAQs style checking. The Twitter client on the other hand is pretty awesome and works fine while games are running. Hope the browser gets fixed because it would be kind of useful, but they must have to limit memory usage so it doesn't affect game performance.

Some plug ins/standards don't work. But the worst offender is the resolution and scaling. It's just not up to snuff and significantly worse than an iPad. Nothing will display properly if designed for resolutions bigger than 800x600.

And there it is, when one of your biggest competitors like the iPad is doing web browsing better than your latest piece of technology, your in trouble.I mean the iPad 1 which is a few years old does web browsing better.

Sony had a MASSIVE advantage with the Vita, namely, superior graphics and controls that people where begging for since the first ipad.So now they take their massive advantage and say ok, cool, we are gonna give the people what our competitors cant, hence making us a better choice over an iPad.But wait, then lets take away everything that makes our competitors great, because we would hate to copy something that is successful worldwide.

So now we are left with a piece of technology that does some things right and other things wrong, when it could of done everything right and make it superior to its competition.I know you gonna say the app store on apple is why it is as popular as it is, and for sure sony would have a hard time competing with the millions of apps out there on the itunes store.So instead it should boast its amazing looking full length games and then try to do its best with mini games ect that they sell for a dollar on the PSN store to try got a tiny bit of that pie.

But at least then the Vita would be superior in almost every other area.Now the Vita is just a nice toy, that you will keep in your backpack underneath your ipad.Sony missed out this time around, and tablets will destroy their market share and hurt their sales in a massive way.They needed to attack apples main artery and go for the kill, but instead they just bruised it slightly.

patsu

Vita doesn't have to be superior to iPad in every way to thrive. It "only" needs to best iPad in gaming and perhaps other entertainment functions. Even better if the general Vita apps (e.g., Google Maps, FaceBook, etc.) are "gamified". These non-games helps to broaden Vita's appeal, or even make more $$$ for Sony, but they are not the main reason people buy Vita.

The Playstation Suite and Sony Entertainment Network efforts (e.g., Music Unlimited, PlayMemories) are Sony's attempts to make $$$ off Android and/or iOS devices.

Vita doesn't have to be superior to iPad in every way to thrive. It "only" needs to best iPad in gaming and perhaps other entertainment functions. Even better if the general Vita apps (e.g., Google Maps, FaceBook, etc.) are "gamified". These non-games helps to broaden Vita's appeal, or even make more $$$ for Sony, but they are not the main reason people buy Vita.

The Playstation Suite and Sony Entertainment Network efforts (e.g., Music Unlimited, PlayMemories) are Sony's attempts to make $$$ off Android and/or iOS devices.

Would you be happy walking around with a vita and an iPad? Or would you prefer just a vita with Ipad functionality? In fact if the Vita did have iPad functionality, what would you buy, Vita or iPad?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think I'm perfectly alright with a smart phone and wifi Vita mate, so lay of the rhetoric rollercoaster. The iPad has always struck me as a device without a point, while the Vita at least has a very clear core use.

Who knows, Sony may well revolutionise all their web browsers at some point if GAF resident jeff_rigby's ongoing descent into the abyss can be believed. Worldwide darling iPhone launched without an app store, copy and paste, and many more absolutely core features but that hasn't exactly roadblocked it from global success. The PS3's feature-set also saw a real rolling thunder of change over the years, and the Vita has even more RAM to play with so we'll see.

patsu

Would you be happy walking around with a vita and an iPad? Or would you prefer just a vita with Ipad functionality? In fact if the Vita did have iPad functionality, what would you buy, Vita or iPad?

I already pre-ordered a Vita based on some of the games I want to play. I already have 2 iPads. I'll probably take the Vita with me more than the iPad because Vita is lighter, and I already have an iPhone anyway.

That's why Vita doesn't need to be an iPad/iPhone to grow, for now. For people who want an iPad/iPhone, they will get an iPad/iPhone. Further down the road for the average consumers, yes, it would be advantageous for Vita to perform other compelling non-game applications. More quality apps is always welcomed.

Eusis

I think it'd depend on where I'm going and what I need them for. Then again I'd probably be a dumbass and carry more gadgets with me than I really needed if there was a serious chance it'd matter.

Though, I think if I wanted iPad functionality first and foremost I'd get that instead of the Vita, even if the Vita were just as good at it. Why? Resolution and screen size, The Retina display is a bit higher (basically like adding more height-wise and being more square than 16:9 as a result), so the iPod Touch and iPhone 4/4S do a better job when you need that high resolution, and the iPad completely crushes the Vita in screen size. Whether it's just iOS-type applications or more serious stuff that needs a larger screen, it's completely cornered. Good thing the iPod/iPhones fit in pockets easily, so they're practically irrelevant to whether a Vita is to be taken along or not.

I think I'm perfectly alright with a smart phone and wifi Vita mate, so lay of the rhetoric rollercoaster. The iPad has always struck me as a device without a point, while the Vita at least has a very clear core use.

A device without a point? Maybe so if you own an iphone otherwise,yes ....it does have a point, a big point actually to Joe Soap who owns an average phone and no Vita or tablet.But I think your not seeing what I am trying to say here, one of the biggest draw backs on an ipad in terms of gaming is the shitty controls.Sony solved that problem, they could of given apple a real run for its money if the maybe added more iOS type features, even if they had to increase the cost to do it they would still be offering more than what you get with an iPad.

I am not saying the Vita is a piece of crap that should of never of come to light, I think its great.I am just saying that it had the opportunity to be something really special.

patsu

I think it'd depend on where I'm going and what I need them for. Then again I'd probably be a dumbass and carry more gadgets with me than I really needed if there was a serious chance it'd matter.

Though, I think if I wanted iPad functionality first and foremost I'd get that instead of the Vita, even if the Vita were just as good at it. Why? Resolution and screen size, The Retina display is a bit higher (basically like adding more height-wise and being more square than 16:9 as a result), so the iPod Touch and iPhone 4/4S do a better job when you need that high resolution, and the iPad completely crushes the Vita in screen size. Whether it's just iOS-type applications or more serious stuff that needs a larger screen, it's completely cornered. Good thing the iPod/iPhones fit in pockets easily, so they're practically irrelevant to whether a Vita is to be taken along or not.

Yes Vita may be a good companion to iPhone because it's better at gaming, and can back up iPhone for some non-gaming tasks. It doesn't use up the phone's battery and is lightweight. Eventually, to attract the average consumers, Vita may need to identify one or more areas to focus on.

At the same time, Sony is also rolling out integrated applications/services for Vita, iOS, Android, and other devices to make money off the combined install base.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think judging its 'specialness' almost exclusively by the web browser is attaching waaaaaaay too much to that very minor checked box on the featureset, and as discussed, these things are frequently built upon as software isn't stationary.

Can you play Uncharted on an iPad ?

you can probably will be able to play some form of Uncharted on android once PS Suite thing is working. I think Sony will want to make some sort of simple game/spin off game of Uncharted on other device to xpand it's audience with the hope that some of them check out the main Uncharted games on PS3/Vita

I wouldn't be surprised if Eyes of Indra motion comic got ported to PS Suite.

patsu

The best case for me is cross-platform PS Suite play between Vita, iOS, Android and PS3 (or even including PC !). I would also love to have RemotePlay for iOS.

The more demanding games can be Vita and PS3 exclusive, if the other mobile devices use up too much resources for something else.

BigMike

Neo Member
Since I don't want to pay $729 for my Vita, I'm okay with it not being able to do everything an iPad can do effectively. Personally I think Sony is fantastic in developing hardware however its software is always coming up a little short. Now if Sony designed a portable game system that ran on Windows 7 Mobile that might be able to compete with Apple.

Since I don't want to pay $729 for my Vita, I'm okay with it not being able to do everything an iPad can do effectively. Personally I think Sony is fantastic in developing hardware however its software is always coming up a little short. Now if Sony designed a portable game system that ran on Windows 7 Mobile that might be able to compete with Apple.

isn't the problem with android, ios, windows mobile os etc is that they require a lot of resource for their multitasking capabilities and affecting the amount or power a game can use?

for instance, I remember reading people say that even if smartphone surpass Vita hardware spec in the future, it still wouldn't touch the visual Vita can produce for a couple of year because developer will have more control of Vita hardware.

GopherD

isn't the problem with android, ios, windows mobile os etc is that they require a lot of resource for their multitasking capabilities and affecting the amount or power a game can use?

for instance, I remember reading people say that even if smartphone surpass Vita hardware spec in the future, it still wouldn't touch the visual Vita can produce for a couple of year because developer will have more control of Vita hardware.
John Carmack also tweeted the same thing when Vita was announced.

I think judging its 'specialness' almost exclusively by the web browser is attaching waaaaaaay too much to that very minor checked box on the featureset, and as discussed, these things are frequently built upon as software isn't stationary.

Obviously i'm not judging it exclusively on its poor web browsing abilities, there are a bunch of other things I mentioned earlier.And who knows like you said they might correct that in new software down the line, but then again...they might not...

BigMike

Neo Member

You're probably right. In order for the Vita to maintain its higher graphical performance it while running one of the above OS and allowing to multitask increase its price exponentially. However Sony still shoehorns in all of those basic features from its own software suite which I generally dislike. I'd just like to see Sony try to work with an actually software firm (Microsoft?) and create a custom OS with better programs while still giving developers full rein. I guess that's asking too much.

I just saw this on 1up... I guess I better hope my 2nd PSP doesn't die.

patsu

The Playstation hardware runs on embedded OS (parts) licensed from other companies. If you check "About PS3" on your PS3, you'll see the licenses for eCos, FreeBSD, NetBSD for example.

As for working on top of other OSes, that's Playstation Suite. It's based on Mono and will run on top of Android, Windows and other OSes. Mono apps could run on iOS too, but Sony hasn't said anything about PS Suite for iOS though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Disgaea 3 Vita just got a patch which adds Kuro and Toro to the game, enables Vita screenshot feature and tweaks balance.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
That's awesome. I need to see a pic of them.
gBKq2.jpg

crUfa.jpg

for the size and width of an ipad i'd much rather just get a laptop.....both are items you need to store properly/safely in a bookbag when not using....plus i dont have people gawkin at me if I have an ipad whipped out....like I have some kinda expensive boondoogle tech toy im just flashing around

vita seems like the right size.....whip it out, takes up smaller lap/elbow space, not as conspicuous, and you can just stuff it right back in your pocket when done

gembel

will FIFA VITA have Online Passes like the FIFA console versions?

im using AU account and planning to buy from the US since its cheaper, but if requires online pass to play online, i wont be able to redeem it on the US store..

Eusis

If they don't now they will in next year's edition, given that Sony's thrown online passes in with their Vita games AND it's a new system where they'll care about this more.

Tratorn

im using AU account and planning to buy from the US since its cheaper, but if requires online pass to play online, i wont be able to redeem it on the US store..

No, it doens't use an online pass.
But you can't play Fifa on your AU-Account, if you buy it from US-Store.

Eusis

Are there any SRPGs like tactics ogre in the works for Vita? (or 3DS)
How close do you mean by "like"? There's already Devil Survivor on 3DS and Disgaea 3 on Vita, but neither are original games nor do they have the same tone. Positive indicators for the future though!

How close do you mean by "like"? There's already Devil Survivor on 3DS and Disgaea 3 on Vita, but neither are original games nor do they have the same tone. Positive indicators for the future though!

Well I'm not very familiar with the genre.
All I know is I loved tactics ogre and ghost recon shadow wars and any games that use that type of gameplay would be great

Eusis

Well, if Disgaea's overall flavor doesn't bug you (or you can tolerate it) there's that, but you can also get Final Fantasy Tactics over the PSN, either the PS1 version or the PSP versions are $10. There's pros and cons to both, PS1 has better performance while the PSP version has more features (for the most part, I think a few NA FFT tweaks weren't retained) and an arguably superior translation. Also can't play the PS1 version on the Vita just yet, while the PSP version can never be played on PS3. If you haven't played it yet then definitely do so, it's from the same people that made Tactics Ogre.

Well I'm not very familiar with the genre.
All I know is I loved tactics ogre and ghost recon shadow wars and any games that use that type of gameplay would be great

Definitely Disgaea 3 for Vita, then. Hopefully more will be coming. Check out Jeanne d'Arc and Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions for PSP as well, if you missed those.

Top Bottom