• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pokémon Company speaks out against cheating

Firestorm

YYYUUUP

Pokemon was/is fairly popular as a card game for a reason. The battle system is nice for simply playing off the concepts. The EV system is just a ridiculous time-wasting obstacle to get the team strategy you want to try out. I don't think it justifies cheating in a tournament, but I totally get why people would want to bypass this system but still enjoy the battle gameplay.

Then again, I wouldn't say Game Freak/Nintendo has been very discerning in general about why and how serious fans enjoy Pokemon and where they should take the series in view of it. They honestly seem pretty dense.
I think you're talking about IVs. EVs are like stat points in an MMO and go a long way in allowing Pokemon to be customizable. IVs is the one that's like rolling for a character and tedious as all hell.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think you're talking about IVs. EVs are like stat points in an MMO and go a long way in allowing Pokemon to be customizable. IVs is the one that's like rolling for a character and tedious as all hell.
Yeah I mean IVs.

Edit: Though EVs are still pretty tedious. If you want to be intentional about training you literally gotta catch em all with a friend then work as a team to build what you want, or spend ages running to the different locations to train against specific things at different times, or search for the right matchups online. I get the whole RPG reward for investment thing, but Pokemon isn't all about that for a good portion of the people who enjoy it. They get wrapped up in the strategy and tactics and their mind craves experimentation with things at a far faster pace than they can implement them. Capacity to freely enjoy that should be somewhere in the franchise.

Edit 2: The RPG thing makes more sense for long progression against common static challenges as in MMOs, where PvP play happens but only with the support of group campaigning to alleviate the tedium of training up your concept, and that is just one character, not a complex team. Since Pokemon multiplayer is all about PvP battling, and as a team, the complexities and desire for changing up said complexities arise much faster. Many have longed for a Pokemon MMO, partially due to how adventurous it could be catching Pokemon in a vast online world, running into other trainers, but I think also partially because they know such an environment would make the experience of team developments much better and even trading in Pokemon much faster and more effective for the desired results. But an MMO wouldn't be required for this sort of immediate experimentation of battle play, as these editors reveal.

backlot

Yeah I mean IVs.

Edit: Though EVs are still pretty tedious. If you want to be intentional about training you literally gotta catch em all with a friend then work as a team to build what you want, or spend ages running to the different locations to train against specific things at different times, or search for the right matchups online.

I'm not sure what method of EV training you are talking about where you need to meet up with a friend. You don't even have to do many battles if you have the right items.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, EV training is pretty much easy to do, especially in V.

Also limiting yourself in tiers like OU is kinda sucky. It's why the "tier" system was made anyway - to allow you to use any of your mons.

RoyalFool

Banned
I'm pretty surprised that people actually take pokemon training seriously - I played dozens of games and half of the things being discussed here are still totally alien to me. I just get Abra to max level and spam everything to death, super effective or not.

Soodanim

What if you miss one of the timed event-only Pokemon? What if you want to try out one of the crazy rare monsters, like Speed Boost Blaziken? I would never take them online because of how unfair they are, but once I've finished the story Pokemon games get tedious quite quick.

And what is the deal with the dream world? I tried it, and that is a very strange way of letting people get different abilities on Pokemon. Having to go to a website on a computer and play a flash game to get something is equivalent to a Facebook minigame, and it's a boring, convoluted process.

I'm going to try and not get sucked into Pokemon again. I rebought a DS just for SS and B/W. Got my money's worth I guess, but I haven't touched the DS in months.

Boss Doggie

What if you miss one of the timed event-only Pokemon? What if you want to try out one of the crazy rare monsters, like Speed Boost Blaziken? I would never take them online because of how unfair they are, but once I've finished the story Pokemon games get tedious quite quick.

And what is the deal with the dream world? I tried it, and that is a very strange way of letting people get different abilities on Pokemon. Having to go to a website on a computer and play a flash game to get something is equivalent to a Facebook minigame, and it's a boring, convoluted process.

I'm going to try and not get sucked into Pokemon again. I rebought a DS just for SS and B/W. Got my money's worth I guess, but I haven't touched the DS in months.

While I won't question your taste in games (seriously, DS has like one of the best libraries out there), you're confusing some aspects.

Most timed event Pokemon are usually banned. I think the closest I have heard of a timed event Pokemon that isn't banned is Gen V's Meloetta and Keldeo (but the latter is dangerous in Rain teams). Competitive Pokemon players care less about the single player game.

Dream world is shitty but it's a good idea to actually make a bunch of Pokemon useful again. Nidoking for instance became a force to reckon with due to its DW Ability called Sheer Force. With that said people tend to use the DW tool instead.

I'm pretty surprised that people actually take pokemon training seriously - I played dozens of games and half of the things being discussed here are still totally alien to me. I just get Abra to max level and spam everything to death, super effective or not.
And that's why it's so awesome - it's both casual and competitive!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The Dream World thing was a good idea, but poorly executed. The 24 hour restriction, only letting you export one Pokemon at a time to your game and having you play the same repetitive minigames over and over again really stunted the potential.

PK Gaming

While I won't question your taste in games (seriously, DS has like one of the best libraries out there), you're confusing some aspects.

Most timed event Pokemon are usually banned. I think the closest I have heard of a timed event Pokemon that isn't banned is Gen V's Meloetta and Keldeo (but the latter is dangerous in Rain teams). Competitive Pokemon players care less about the single player game.

Meloetta and Keldeo are actually banned in VGCs. If a Pokemon can only be obtained via event, it's banned.

Boss Doggie

Ahh right, Smogon and VGC banlist are different lol

Though I take it VGC follows in-game "banlist" in Battle Frontier/Subway?

EDIT: Ahh thought as much. Though I wonder why Dark Void needs to be noted when only Darkrai can have it.

Ahh right, Smogon and VGC banlist are different lol

Though I take it VGC follows in-game "banlist" in Battle Frontier/Subway?

EDIT: Ahh thought as much. Though I wonder why Dark Void needs to be noted when only Darkrai can have it.

Smeargle also learns it.

EDIT: It's really powerful in doubles.

gngf123

Yeah but only Darkrai, a banned Pokemon, can learn it

Ohhh right, Smeargle. Wait, it can Sketch a move even if it falls asleep?

I guess Darkrai could use Dark Void while Smeargle is asleep. The move would fail, Smeargle could then wake up and use Sketch to copy it.

Or Smeargle could block it with protect and then sketch it on the next turn maybe?

Firestorm

I guess Darkrai could use Dark Void while Smeargle is asleep. The move would fail, Smeargle could then wake up and use Sketch to copy it.

Or Smeargle could block it with protect and then sketch it on the next turn maybe?
Or you enter a wild double battle and sketch your own Darkrai's Dark Void. That's how I did it in 2010 when it wasn't banned. It wasn't so much as "too powerful" as much as it was "This move makes the game less interesting to watch and play considering it's a move that wasn't created to be a part of the standard metagame anyway."

Darkrai has never been legal in any tournament.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Darkrai has never been legal in any tournament.

6n6thqC.jpg

Top Bottom