• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pokémon Company Withdraws Settlement Offer in Copyright Lawsuit (this is bad)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Technically, yes. That's where the whole infamous Disney Daycare lawsuit comes into play. Disney threatened to sue daycares in Florida that had Disney characters on their wall, and then as a publicity ploy to make them look bad, Universal Studios and Hanna-Barbera, volunteered the use of their characters.

Hah, that's pretty interesting. So I guess this is where Youkai Watch steps in as the friendly volunteer and we start seeing more of those stupid ghost cats everywhere xD

Corpekata

Banned
I've only been reading this thread (and the original one) on and off since it started so I may have missed something, but are we sure a C&D wasn't sent at any point? I've skimmed the judgement and read the letter to him and there's nothing obvious there, and the guy doesn't seem an entirely thorough and reliable source in the quotes so far, so I'm wondering if there's a bit missing.

Perhaps it's just something that was left out by the various places reporting on it, or something skimmed over by Jones, but it seems odd for TPCi's lawyers to go straight to lawsuit without anything inbetween. Apologies if it's already been addressed in the thread and I've missed it.

All true, but it doesn't stop a client making bad decisions about how they want their legal team to act. Assuming all went as described by Jones, perhaps the TPCi's team suggested one course of action but were instructed otherwise by TPCi for whatever reasons they had in mind.

You can read the lawsuit itself in various links in the thread. It was filed by TPC, and does not mention a Cease and Desist. It would not make any sense for them to omit mentioning they sent it, as it strengthens their case.

You can read the lawsuit itself in various links in the thread. It was filed by TPC, and does not mention a Cease and Desist. It would not make any sense for them to omit mentioning they sent it, as it strengthens their case.

Must have missed the suit - I only saw the judgement in earlier links. Yeah, no mention of a C&D there and the document makes it look as though they went straight to court action, which is quite odd. Ugh :-/

Must have missed the suit - I only saw the judgement in earlier links. Yeah, no mention of a C&D there and the document makes it look as though they went straight to court action, which is quite odd. Ugh :-/

You mean the judgment that was only a proposal by TPC and not an actual judgment? Really people link stuff without understanding what it is.

How did you outcrazy TPCi's lawyers in this thread. How.
Dude, you're making me blush!
Seriously tough, I take that as compliment. Hire me TPC!

but could you change that part of you that seemingly won't research the topic of discussion?
Yes I can, but that is boring.
So our defendant used Pokemon material to promote an event in is own café and also charged people for DJ or whatever.
This is a pretty easy lawsuit. The café owner can brag to be a fan and cry on internet as he wants, but he can't forget he's a business owner. As a business owner you just can't afford to be naive like this guy was. It's awful but that's just how business is.

Ask yourself this: why a Company worth billions charges a poor guy for 4.000 $? Notice that the guy threw the very same party over the years. I don't know how it works in U.S.A., but it seems to me that TCG literally had to do the lawsuit because if they allowed that party they could loose the right to stop other unauthorized events. You know how "creative" judges and lawyers can be.
In my Country you have to ask permission to Nintendo even for tournaments and they're very strict about it also.

Top Bottom