• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Promised Neverland (Shonen Jump) |OT| It's gonna eat you up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cLOUDo

is not it supposed to norman,ray and emma had the better brain?
"They" are not gonna waste Emma making her a Mom

mdubs

Banned
Sales growth for the series:

Vol. 1 First three days --> 24,380
Vol. 2 First two days --> 40,683

Edit: Vol. 1's sales there were for the first three days. This actually means that the growth is even better than I thought.

gngf123

So I decided to give this a shot after seeing this thread get bumped the other day. Caught up to the latest chapter today. The art style and colour pages just took my eye straight away.

This is fucking awesome.

SalvaPot

I am getting so excited, I have no idea what is going to happen next. Can he escape? Will he escape?

My guess is that they plan and he tries to escape, but just as he is about to be successful Mama talks him out of it by obviously using Emma, making him not escape after all. We then continue with the story believing he is dead, but I think he is actually taken to work under the labcoat guy we saw the other day. Emma heals in time for Ray's birthday and they both try to escape, Ray dies sacrificing himself so Emma and a few other kids can escape. They discover stuff outside and the plot goes on.

We get a timeskip, and now Norman is E V I L.

mdubs

Banned
Just finished the latest chapter. I swear that I'm on the edge of my seat with every page and genuinely afraid for Norman's life right now. This is TOO REAL

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Oh man. I'm excited to see what will eventually happen. Will he escape? Will he survive out there? I'm guessing the other kids are going to meet up with a worldy Norman in the future that has had to survive.

Also, is this art done by the same author?

u8u3ReH.jpg

I'd fake his escape. Deactivate his tracker and then stash him somewhere in the woods. They were already planning on a sort-of soon escape, so he'd only need to hide for a few days.

Though this still keeps the "Mama ships out other people" threat alive. Honestly though I think that's a bluff. Mama seems intent on not showing any problems whatsoever to the monsters, so I don't think she'll ever contact them with issues willingly.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'd fake his escape. Deactivate his tracker and then stash him somewhere in the woods. They were already planning on a sort-of soon escape, so he'd only need to hide for a few days.

Though this still keeps the "Mama ships out other people" threat alive. Honestly though I think that's a bluff. Mama seems intent on not showing any problems whatsoever to the monsters, so I don't think she'll ever contact them with issues willingly.

Emma won't be able to leave for like a month or two at the earliest.

mdubs

Banned
I could see Norman escaping, and then the bigger escape failing but Emma is spared because she is set up as becoming the next Mom. Then it leads perfectly into a time skip which would be mindblowing if done well

SalvaPot

But then Mama will know they know about the trackers and how deactivate them.

They don't know what's out there, norman has to fake it and escape with everyone later.

I don't know what the author will do but this has so much potential.

Emma won't be able to leave for like a month or two at the earliest.

Eh, that's not that big of a hurdle. Someone carrying Emma slows them down, but it's not a massive block to their plans. Just need more of a headstart on Mama.

But then Mama will know they know about the trackers and how deactivate them.

She surely already knows that they have this ability, right? No way would they ever even attempt these schemes without knowing now to deal with the trackers. From her perspective, she has to assume that when they make their escape, the trackers will go down.

It's why I've thought the best scheme would be to figure out how to remove the trackers without killing the signal, then flee at night with trackers sitting in your beds.

Ascheroth

She surely already knows that they have this ability, right? No way would they ever even attempt these schemes without knowing now to deal with the trackers. From her perspective, she has to assume that when they make their escape, the trackers will go down.

It's why I've thought the best scheme would be to figure out how to remove the trackers without killing the signal, then flee at night with trackers sitting in your beds.
That's a good point.
We can't forget that Mama has been a genius since childhood as well. The assumption should be that she knows about all of their plans and options.
They still have something that hasn't come into play at all yet (the thing Krone left them) so maybe that'll help him
This is probably the only thing that's outside of her calculation, so that's going to be very interesting.

Man this manga is so good.

I'm not really sure if it's because this manga is pretty early on its lifespan, but I'm wondering if it's a neverending house of cards that will fall down with no hope in sight for the kids, and there won't be any payoff.

I doubt they could, the last few chapters have proven that Mom is so far ahead of them planning-wise when we thought the kids were scheming well.
So how do you think will they escape if mama's ahead of them all of the time? I think a deus ex machina would ruin it for a lot of people.

Because an alert will go out. I guess they could do it after she does her report. Yeah, now I wonder why not.

Killing her instantly tells the demons that something is up. If you escape, then the only way they find out is if Mama tells them, which the kids know is her very last resort. If they take off, Mama will try to catch them and bring them back before she gives up and calls the demons. You buy yourself more time if you leave her alive.

I'd take out the trackers at bedtime, put them in the beds, then bolt. She shouldn't figure it out until morning, so you get like 8 hours of escape time, plus however long Mama decides to look for you without alerting the demons.

cLOUDo

Killing her instantly tells the demons that something is up. If you escape, then the only way they find out is if Mama tells them, which the kids know is her very last resort. If they take off, Mama will try to catch them and bring them back before she gives up and calls the demons. You buy yourself more time if you leave her alive.

I'd take out the trackers at bedtime, put them in the beds, then bolt. She shouldn't figure it out until morning, so you get like 8 hours of escape time, plus however long Mama decides to look for you without alerting the demons.

just knock up her and put in a locked room
easily they have a few hours to advantage to escape

SalvaPot

Eh, that's not that big of a hurdle. Someone carrying Emma slows them down, but it's not a massive block to their plans. Just need more of a headstart on Mama.

I am sure she is suspicious and that the kids are aware they exist, but she doesn't know the kids knows where they are and how to deactivate them, if she did she would have already taking precautions since the tracker is vital for a successful escape.

gngf123

I love how this manga in particular seems to ooze this atmosphere of small amounts of optimism in completely hopeless situations.

Seriously can't see how they outplan mama, and they can't really attack her either. Really can't see how they all come out of this alive.

I personally think Ray is a gonner, but Norman and Emma are going to make it out.

I am sure she is suspicious and that the kids are aware they exist, but she doesn't know the kids knows where they are and how to deactivate them, if she did she would have already taking precautions since the tracker is vital for a successful escape.

But she intentionally showed them that they have trackers in them. So to start, she 100% knows that the kids are aware of the trackers (and Ray would give it up anyway, it's too obvious after she showed off the tracking watch).

Next, the kids are still plotting. QED the kids must be able to deal with the trackers, or they wouldn't even attempt to run. It's one of Mama's easier deductions.

SalvaPot

But she intentionally showed them that they have trackers in them. So to start, she 100% knows that the kids are aware of the trackers (and Ray would give it up anyway, it's too obvious after she showed off the tracking watch).

Next, the kids are still plotting. QED the kids must be able to deal with the trackers, or they wouldn't even attempt to run. It's one of Mama's easier deductions.

Sure, but the fact she still hasn't attempted a back-up plan to track them (Like a second tracker or just restraining them) means she either is confident they can't remove them or that they can't escape either way. And we know they CAN escape, apparently, otherwise she wouldn't have stop their investigation.

Veelk

Banned
Sure, but the fact she still hasn't attempted a back-up plan to track them (Like a second tracker or just restraining them) means she either is confident they can't remove them or that they can't escape either way. And we know they CAN escape, apparently, otherwise she wouldn't have stop their investigation.

As Ray established, a second tracker is useless since he'd see it planted. Unless Mama has secret trackers. But I think since the Mama is trying to keep her delinquent children a secret, that means she can't just order a new set of trackers without making it obvious that she fucked up.

I think the kids have the advantage. Mama can hold them down for a time, but the handful of them could escape once they heal up.

It's Emma's insistence on bringing ALL the kids that makes things hairy. I think they're going to have to disable Mama somehow. I can't see how it'd work any other way. She'd notice ALL the kids moving out. But even so, it's utterly beyond me how they're going to manage that. Even if they escape, how can they feed 30 kids daily in a world they know nothing about? Since the start of the story, they made plenty of headway into working out how they themselves could escape, but nothing with the rest of the kids.

I have to say though, Emma's colder than you'd think. "Hey, why don't I just break your leg too Ray :D" It might just be because it's Ray though.

Why not they just kill mama and escape
XD

I had said that at the beginning, until they showed Isabella break Emma's leg. It looks like she snapped it with one hand based on the panel. If she's capable of that they don't want any part of her, even if she didn't have the size advantage.

Patison

This manga reminds me why I'm not keeping up with ongoing series.

Waiting a week for 3 minutes of reading is unbearable, I want the conclusion NOW

Props to whoever said here they'd fake Norman's escape, amazing deduction.

It was me! And Emma managed to find a way around the hurdle I thought was still a problem:

I had said that at the beginning, until they showed Isabella break Emma's leg. It looks like she snapped it with one hand based on the panel. If she's capable of that they don't want any part of her, even if she didn't have the size advantage.

They could gank her like they did Sister Krone, but they've also had the idea that she's likely bugged like they are and alerts go off if she dies.

Honestly, I think their biggest advantage is that Mama is alive. She seems hell-bent on not allowing the demons to find out about their rebellion, and so she's handicapping herself to keep her secret. The biggest thing I've mentioned is on their side in this escape is that when they do pull the trigger, they've likely got extra time once Mama finds out since she'll try to catch them herself for awhile before finally calling the demons.

Burbeting

Banned
Fuck.

Are they going to somehow write around this?
Maybe make Norman some sort of Papa? There is no proof those exist, though.

Would be a ballsy move to go through with this, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom