• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS3 HDD Upgrade Thread (2009 Edition)

Hayabusi

Sorry to get that thread up again:

Subbed PS Plus and in desperate need of a bigger harddrive.

I have one of the first PS3s with 60gb (upgraded to 120gb), backwarts compatibility and so on.

I am looking for the biggest drive I can get, but read different opinions regarding the the 4k/512 byte issue.
The newer, slim models seem to don't care much, but also read different opinions there.
Also there seems to be no 512byte 1tb harddrive...

Erasus

Sorry to get that thread up again:

Subbed PS Plus and in desperate need of a bigger harddrive.

I have one of the first PS3s with 60gb (upgraded to 120gb), backwarts compatibility and so on.

I am looking for the biggest drive I can get, but read different opinions regarding the the 4k/512 byte issue.
The newer, slim models seem to don't care much, but also read different opinions there.
Also there seems to be no 512byte 1tb harddrive...

I am using the WD Black 750GB 7200RPM
It is an AF drive. Its fine

Also
The PS3 Super Slim 500GB model uses a Hitachi 7mm single-platter AF HDD, if that answers your question.

Find the biggest one you can that's not 4k block size. The PS3 OS doesn't seem to play well with it. There are numerous people, myself included, who got 1TB drives and it frags VERY fast and doing a rebuild on it from safe mode fails every time.

This is one of the reasons that, while SSDs are nice for PCs and the like, I'm amazingly hesitant to put one into a PS3 as the OS likely doesn't support TRIM and the other system bottlenecks prevent it from being useful for most games (GT5 seems to benefit fairly well).

Hayabusi

Oh man, didn't think it would be that complicated.
I find some with 4k but 512 emulation. Another one with some weird technique "that makes the transition to 4k easy".
But no real 512 bigger than 500gb..

Hayabusi

antibolo

Banned
You guys worry for nothing, any AF drive works fine now. If there was really any problem in the past, it was fixed by a firmware update. Some new PS3s even ship with AF drive.

Hayabusi

The thing is that there is no real confirmation for this.
And since I have the oldest version I don't want to waste money and time for nothing.

Apoc87

Banned
Does the replacement hard drive need to be empty before putting into the ps3? I want to take my 500 GB drive out of my ps4 and use that.

Apoc87

Banned
And what's the best way to format a 1TB external hard drive to FAT32? I'm reading that Windows7 won't let you do that.

The drive doesn't have to be empty before putting it into the PS3, it'll have to format it no matter what.

You can find a few different tools if you search google for something like "format fat32 1TB" or something similar.

jsnepo

I highly recommend the Seagate 1TB ST1000LM014 SSHD for PS3 usage especially if you have games installed or even cache from the HDD. I noticed significant improvement when it comes to loading and texture streaming. GTAV no longer got pop ups. Same thing happens with GTAIV. Even MGS4 with all acts installed loads faster.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I know this thread is pretty old, but was curious if there were any newer drives that have been released since the last update that might be better value/reliability than what's already there. Some of them seem like they may be discontinued and/or more expensive than they need to be. I've bought so much stuff during various PSN sales that I can't download because 150GB just isn't big enough.

Jonnax

I know this thread is pretty old, but was curious if there were any newer drives that have been released since the last update that might be better value/reliability than what's already there. Some of them seem like they may be discontinued and/or more expensive than they need to be. I've bought so much stuff during various PSN sales that I can't download because 150GB just isn't big enough.

I recommend you check the PS4 HDD thread, same advice but it will be new.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Excuse my idiocy if this was already answered in this topic, but a question:

I am going to upgrade to a new HDD, and I was wondering, does the backup utility compress the content while backing up? My PS3 only has a 160 GB HDD and I have about 10 GB in space left, so when it backs up, will the space required be 150 GB or will it compress it to less?

Thanks

DonMigs85

Excuse my idiocy if this was already answered in this topic, but a question:

I am going to upgrade to a new HDD, and I was wondering, does the backup utility compress the content while backing up? My PS3 only has a 160 GB HDD and I have about 10 GB in space left, so when it backs up, will the space required be 150 GB or will it compress it to less?

Thanks

It backs up the amount of space actually used. You can delete some game installs and other stuff you don't really need.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I know the PS3 doesn't take 2tb HDD's internally, but do they read 2tb HDD's externally for backups?

I bought a spare one that I was going to use to either backup my PS4 of PS3, and I formatted it in FAT32, and my PS3 isn't reading it. I also read the PS3 won't recognize USB powered HDD's, so apparently external 2.5 inch are out. Anyone know if that is true?

I did a google and saw someone on the PS forums said they used a 2tb HDD before externally, so I figured it would read. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong....

DonMigs85

I know the PS3 doesn't take 2tb HDD's internally, but do they read 2tb HDD's externally for backups?

I bought a spare one that I was going to use to either backup my PS4 of PS3, and I formatted it in FAT32, and my PS3 isn't reading it. I also read the PS3 won't recognize USB powered HDD's, so apparently external 2.5 inch are out. Anyone know if that is true?

I did a google and saw someone on the PS forums said they used a 2tb HDD before externally, so I figured it would read. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong....
You're still talking about a SATA connection and not USB right?

gar3

Hi all,

Bought a SanDisk SSD last week as an upgrade to my PlayStation 3 Super Slim but ran into a problem. I’m hoping someone can help me out.

-Sony PlayStation 3 Super Slim Model CECH-42xxB
-Original HDD Hitachi 250GB
-Upgrade SSD SanDisk SSD Plus 480GB
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018X8LB2G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I first backed-up all my PlayStation 3 data onto an external 250GB USB 2.0 HDD.
Then, using a USB thumbdrive, I downloaded the latest System Software Update from Sony:
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps3/
and placed it on the thumbdrive within a folder within another folder like this:
PS3 -> UPDATE -> PS3UPDAT.PUP

I insert the USB with the above data into the PS3 and then swap the original HDD for the SSD and turn the system on but that’s when the trouble begins.
I keep getting the error message, “Cannot start. The appropriate system storage was not found.”
It seems to me the PlayStation 3 Super Slim is not recognizing the SSD whatsoever but perhaps I am wrong.

I have troubleshot all the possible issues I can think of.
My PC can see the SanDisk SSD via a USB enclosure and I’ve even formatted it to FAT32 just in case so it isn’t a dead or defective SSD.
I’ve used both a USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 thumbdrive so there’s no issues there.

Any ideas or suggestion would be very appreciated since I’m really at the end of my rope here.

Possibly the SATA version of the SSD is too high for what the PS3 supports? I mean it does sound like it's just not recognizing the drive.

I was under the impression that any 2.5" SATA SSD would work. Is this not the case?

EDIT:
Found some discussion that SATA 3 works:
http://community.us.playstation.com...work-in-the-PS3-or-does-it-only/td-p/16475724

SATA3 drives only work in the PS3 and PS4 if the drive controller will support SATA2 connections, which some won't do or won't do properly. I noticed on Sandisk's' product firmware page that there was a firmware update released that "Improved compatibility with certain systems where SATA link sometimes negotiated to SATA 2 vs SATA 3."

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16903

It might be worth connecting the drive to your PC to update the firmware (don't bother with formatting anyway, the PS3 will do it for you when/if it sees the drive) and try again in the PS3.

DonMigs85

Honestly it's best to just use a 1TB 7200RPM HDD with at least 32MB cache on PS3. An SSD just isn't practical. The OS wasn't designed with SSDs in mind either.

gar3

OK, I admit defeat.
The SanDisk SSD Dashboard program stated my firmware was up-to-date on the SSD.
Tried it yet again in the PS3 and still no joy.

So I started the return process for it with Amazon and bought a HGST 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache HDD instead:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4QESVQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It arrives on Thursday.
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice this afternoon.
Hopefully I won't be back in this topic with the same issues, heh.

Honestly, I hope you don't have issues with the HDD being over 1TB. For some reason most PS3s eventually have problems with drives over 500GB in capacity, though I'm not sure if it's purely from the size (unlikely), the sector size (somewhat likely) or just some random manufacturing difference with drives now (also just as likely but harder to nail down).

Not sure if this is the right thread, So please do forgive me, But i need help?

My 1 year old Super slim PS3 HDD looks like its starting to fail since the system keeps on freezing even from just turning it on.

My question is? Is this a good hdd?

Cant get the link to work sorry but its the
Avolusion 160GB 2.5" SATA (PS3) Playstation3 Hard Drive (PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim, PS3 Super Slim CECH-400x Series) + HDD Mounting Bracket - 2 Years Warranty

I have never replaced a hdd on a system so i'm not sure which one is the right one to buy

Thanks for any help.

NewDust

Not sure if this is the right thread, So please do forgive me, But i need help?

My 1 year old Super slim PS3 HDD looks like its starting to fail since the system keeps on freezing even from just turning it on.

My question is? Is this a good hdd?

Cant get the link to work sorry but its the

I have never replaced a hdd on a system so i'm not sure which one is the right one to buy

Thanks for any help.

I don't have any experience with Avolusion, but looking at their other product, they look to just rebrand other hardware. Anyway I would just go for one of the bigger hdd names, Seagate, Samsung, Western Digital or HGST.

Also you can check the superslim by just removing the HDD. It should revert vack to the 12gb built-in flash storage. If it works fine, it's the hdd, otherwise the problem might be something else.

I don't have any experience with Avolusion, but looking at their other product, they look to just rebrand other hardware. Anyway I would just go for one of the bigger hdd names, Seagate, Samsung, Western Digital or HGST.

Also you can check the superslim by just removing the HDD. It should revert vack to the 12gb built-in flash storage. If it works fine, it's the hdd, otherwise the problem might be something else.

Thank you very much

REDSLATE

Shame to hear SSDs are having compatibility issues.

Eventual plan was to put SSDs in every console (once the price was affordable) to extend longevity and increase performance. Particularly concerned for my Xboxes. This thread sheds some doubt as to potential across the board...

Top Bottom