• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Rare Canceled Game Art Thread]

teacupcopter said:
Rare used to be the best thing ever :( I was such a rabid, rabid fanboy. played through all of blast corps, Ge007, DKR... hell, Jet Force Gemini was probably one of my most played games, and PD... jesus. I even liked DK64.

What the fuck happened :(

I'm getting a 360 soon... was perfect dark zero and/or kameo any good?

You are what happened, fanboys like you who didnt buy Xbox when the switch happened, you guys were most of their sales, but you stuck with nintendo.

oh well, I just wish they would kill off rare, because news like this makes it more and more depressing and reminds me they are still around.

StevieP

Banned
PseudoKirby said:
You are what happened, fanboys like you who didnt buy Xbox when the switch happened, you guys were most of their sales, but you stuck with nintendo.

oh well, I just wish they would kill off rare, because news like this makes it more and more depressing and reminds me they are still around.

Their quality dipped toward the time of the switch. What was compelling enough to make a Rare fan spend hundreds of dollars on a different platform?

Shiggy

3ur4zn said:
I don't agree here. Most of the talent left before the acquisition, or long after it, around the time the Stamper's left.

Quite a few left during the acquisition, even though the restructuring process in 2009 led to a whole new level of departures.

Smiles and Cries said:
face it people RARE is dead :(

not sure why fans keep hoping this dev will somehow become a triple A giant again?

Sure they are creatively dead, but they are still the keys to getting more HD ports to XBLA like KI/Gold, Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corps, etc.

If you can't make anything of worth new (and aren't even allowed to thanks to MS), then churn out quality re-releases of old games.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's sad that Rare ended up like this...

Can you imagine how better the Gamecube and Wii would have been if Rare was still with Nintendo and was still able to push quality titles and sequels as good as Donkey Kong Country 2, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, and... and...

Man, that would have been AWESOME.

:(

In an alternate universe, it does exist.
watched too much Fringe lately

PseudoKirby said:

Who would have bought a Xbox just to play Rare games(especially if they looked as bad as Grabbed by the Goulies)?

Can you imagine how better the Gamecube and Wii would have been if Rare was still with Nintendo and was still able to push quality titles and sequels as good as Donkey Kong Country 2, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, and... and...

Hadn't the majority of the Goldeneye/PD leads left before the sale (Free Radical & Zoonami?)

stilgar

PseudoKirby said:

wrongo!

fur1_640w.jpg

The new Rare was there already.

Incredibly beautiful game, uninteresting gameplay at its finest.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Cerebral Assassin said:
Hadn't the majority of the Goldeneye/PD leads left before the sale (Free Radical & Zoonami?)

I don't know about "majority" but there was a few of them at Free Radical. I remember seeing the first level of TimeSplitters 2 and going "Awesome, that's like the Dam level of Goldeneye!"

Mael

stilgar said:
wrongo!

fur1_640w.jpg

The new Rare was there already.

Incredibly beautiful game, uninteresting gameplay at its finest.

Seriously this, by the time the xbox was dead they had done Grabbed by the Ghoulies and remake Conker.....
I mean I played Conker to death but shelling that much cash for an inferior remake and something that's been deemed as a disappointing game isn't exactly exciting (especially considering that at the time the alternatives were so much cheaper and didn't have such a horrible controller)

PseudoKirby said:
what an ignorant statement. i had and xbox and i have a 360. since conker's BFD and maybe SFA, nothing they have developed has interested me or drawn me in like the games of rare's heyday. nuts and bolts was like salt in an open wound. i guess i never noticed the slow leak of decline from rare. at the time nintendo let them go that leak was a waterfall. it's very sad :(

IOnEI Falcon said:
http://www.rare.co.uk/blog/?p=3632

New lobby...no B-K statues, no Joanna statue and the glass cases seem to have been cleaned out of most of their past games memorabilia...

I was just about to post that, I knew some of you guys were going to love it :D

By the way, don't forget you can zoom in and out. You can still spot Conker in one of the side hallways. Also, some boxes (?) with googly eyes.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
wrowa said:
But Kinect Sports review quotes on the desk.... urgh.

... Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow...

Microsoft, you truly redefine soulless corporatism.

Shiggy

Old franchises abandoned - Mission accomplished!
Creative Leads responsible for old franchises scared away - Mission accomplished!
Replacing statues of old heroes with Kinect prototypes - Mission accomplished!
Old franchises deleted from memory - Mission accomplished!
Everything related to company's past deleted - Mission accomplished!
Replacing company's own management with external managers - Mission accomplished!
Destroying a company culture - Mission accomplished!
Replacing veterans with contractors and establishing a high turn-over rate - Mission accomplished!

Shutting doors - Working on it!

(Why the hell would you set up those Kinect prototypes there? ...)

[Nintex]

Well Rare is dead but maybe they can build something cool in its place. Like a studio that does new games and not just Kinect Sports 2 :(

Maybe a funracer since the All Stars Racing guy is there now...

right

:'(

With Rare gone, no other company from my childhood will be able to match their uncanny ability to flawlessly integrate phallic imagery into the landscape of some of my favorite games.

On a serious note, is there any way for Nintendo/Valve/any other company to buy back the Rare IP rights from Microsoft? Does Microsoft even fully own them?

Kafel

Banned
Just get over it now.

They start anew, we already knew this. New focus, new culture.

Their last game is quite good, best of luck for your future Rare.

[Nintex]

Kafel said:
Just get over it now.

The problem is Rare/MS's scorched earth tactics. Companies like Disney change their focus and culture all the time but despite the fact that Pirates, Hannah Montana and Tron are the top merchandise right now they don't throw Mickey Mouse in the bin and act like they have no history. The avatars are used at Microsoft company wide, just look at the 'vision for PC gaming' vid that floated around. That's hardly something for Rare to identify itself with.

Kafel said:
Just get over it now.

It's like a few bitter fans organized a funeral, but no one else showed up because they're too busy playing Kinect Sports.

Kafel

Banned
[Nintex] said:
The problem is Rare/MS's scorched earth tactics. Companies like Disney change their focus and culture all the time but despite the fact that Pirates, Hannah Montana and Tron are the top merchandise right now they don't throw Mickey Mouse in the bin and act like they have no history. The avatars are used at Microsoft company wide, just look at the 'vision for PC gaming' vid that floated around. That's hardly something for Rare to identify itself with.

They're now a top Kinect developer. The trendy accessory that's cool. So they changed their website/studio design to reflect this.

Come on, they didn't edit their wikipedia games list to erase everything that was B.K. (Before Kinect).

REMEMBER CITADEL >> they didn't even show up when it was time to buy their games

Kafel said:
REMEMBER CITADEL >> they didn't even show up when it was time to buy their games

Exactly. The company has definitely changed, but in a way, it has also returned to its (post-Ultimate) roots. As I was saying before, a part of what has always defined Rare were games for kids and the whole family. But the kids have changed. Wii, iPhone, Facebook games - that's all the rage nowadays. So the way I see it, the company was on the crossroads; they could have continued catering to their old school fans, many of which have since grown up and lost interest in those kinds of games (and relatively modest sales of their pre-Sports Xbox/360 titles illustrate that nicely) OR they could have tried becoming relevant to their traditional audience once again. So far, it seems they (and Microsoft) have chosen the right path.

The problem is, another part of their DNA are core titles for a bit more mature gamers. I know that jumping the gun is practically the norm here on GAF, but the fact is the jury is still out on that one. Kinect is their current focus, yes, but that doesn't necessarily eliminate core games from the equation. Core Kinect titles - if not pure, then hybrid - are very much a possibility. It's still too early to write them off in that regard.

TheOddOne

I find it funny that pages upon pages have been discussed on why Rare isn't the old Rare anymore, yet when they change their lobby its the straw that broke the camel's back. Atleast I could get behind some of the arguments, but going RAGE for the lobby change is... reaching.

Shed_a_Ninja failed at trolling the EPIC thread, now he's chuggin' along here.

Riposte

lol. I keep seeing "BAFTA award winning" bullshit. I don't want to make a thread about it, but do people seriously think they are any better than Spike TV? Not in criticism.

EDIT: Interesting, but not surprising, how much people suck up to semi-famous(that's a stretch) awards rather than the enthusiast press, who are geniuses in comparison.

Myriadis

Just visiting their site.It is still great that they still write about Banjo-Kazooie and other older IPs.Lots of Beta information and it shows that they at least don't dismiss their old stuff.
Still,it's a sad thing that the chances are extemely low for a revival of one of their older IPs.But at least I enjoyed it while it lasted ,now I move on to other games.

Shed_a_Ninja failed at trolling the EPIC thread, now he's chuggin' along here.
He trolled at the Rarewitchproject,he trolled here.Good thing he failed at least here and nearly stopped it.

Myriadis said:
He trolled at the Rarewitchproject,he trolled here.Good thing he failed at least here.

Right, because agreeing with the majority and disapproving these changes is now the definition of "trolling".

TheOddOne

Myriadis said:
He trolled at the Rarewitchproject,he trolled here.Good thing he failed at least here.
Really? Funniest thing is that when everybody calls him out, he's nowhere to be found.

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Right, because agreeing with the majority and disapproving these changes is now the definition of "trolling".
Backing up your arguments and not running for the hills everytime somebody want a explaination then your not trolling. Your actually contributing something. Time and time again you ran away and thats just meaningless trolling.

Shed_a_Ninja said:

It's easy to agree with "the majority" when it's pretty much the same handful of posters in all Rare threads.

Top Bottom