• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Rare Canceled Game Art Thread]

Shiggy

Hero of Legend said:
Zoonami's still around I THINK, but a chunk of folks formed Otterly.

I think it was Shiggy who noted that. Any updates?

Zoonami is working on a Bonsai Barber sequel:
bonsaispoof.jpg

:D

V_Ben

Banned
IOnEI Falcon said:
And there it is:

DrDaves Dave
@taskbaarchitect Why do you even think about 'writing for games'? Kinect Sports: Resort getting a fully-fledged story now?

Who is "Dave"... a disgruntled former employee? Or just a fan? Doak?

Does anyone know exactly what was Peter Molyneux's relationship with Rare?

Peter Molyneux said:

Did he support Rare making making stuff like Kameo 2 and Perfect Dark Core, or did he want Rare to just make Kinect Sports?

V_Ben said:
Who is "Dave"... a disgruntled former employee? Or just a fan? Doak?
I think he's a disgruntled former employee. Specifically a former Rare artist, from what I gather.

The Awkward Wizard said:
Does anyone know exactly what was Peter Molyneux's relationship with Rare?

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/articles/994/994672p1.html
Did he support Rare making making stuff like Kameo 2 and Perfect Dark Core, or did he want Rare to just make Kinect Sports?

I think he's a disgruntled former employee. Specifically a former Rare artist, from what I gather.
I know for sure you can see his face mapped into the game in both PD and KS.

IOnEI Falcon said:
I know for sure you can see his face mapped into the game in both PD and KS.
But beyond that, do we how he was involved with the restructurings/core games being canceled?

Also, superannuation Twitter found a model from Banjo Karting!

dHY1d.jpg

More screenshots here. A bit too realistic for me. I prefer the look of the vehicles of Diddy Kong Racing, but given that Rare tried to make games more pleasing for the Xbox audience, I could see why they went that way.

Great find!

Yeah, besides his face being mapped in and him wanting to give Rare an identity, I really don't know. Do we have any credits from PD XBLA or Kinect Sports.

Steve Burke (Composer of Kameo/Viva Pinata/Jetpac Refuelled) just released his arrangements of the Halo Theme and Variations.

http://www.steveburkemusic.com/MP3/SteveBurke__Halo_Theme_And_Variations__Part1.mp3

http://www.steveburkemusic.com/MP3/SteveBurke__Halo_Theme_And_Variations__Part2.mp3

On his Twitter account, he writes:
SteveBurkeMusic said:
A few weeks ago I wrote 2 pieces of music based on the Halo game themes. Partly for fun... and other reasons. Will upload and share here!
RARE MAKING HALO CONF1RM3D!!1!

Most likely not, since he's now a freelance composer, though his website does say that he just "completed the 70min score to a new video game project. Under NDA at the moment, will update when the game is announced."

Prine

Banned
Is Steve a contractor? The guy is one of greatest thing to happen to Rare post buyout.

Kameo OST > * this gen

Edit: Wow at those clips. Great stuff!

[Nintex]

Saber Interactive's Halo game is the worst kept secret in recent times. Might've something to do with all those Rare folks working on it.

[Nintex]

The Awkward Wizard said:
You mean like how they helped with Halo 3's development?
Nah most of those kept working for Bungie. These are the other Rare people, like the guy that did those Kameo 2 / Crackdown renders.

TheOddOne

[Nintex] said:
Saber Interactive's Halo game is the worst kept secret in recent times. Might've something to do with all those Rare folks working on it.
Ehh, people thought that Gearbox was working on the next Halo. Turned out they just got Corrine Yu from there.

In response to Banjo Karting:

conkerhimself Christopher Seavor
@IOnEI_Falcon Yeah, the Fazely gang helped out with the Art a bit.... It's actually quite a good game !! Robin's lads seem to love it !!

So I have Grant Kirkhope on Facebook, and this morning he posted a status update about a recent trailer for a game he's working on. Cue some trolling from some of his former Rare employees:

T3Coa.jpg

KuGsj.gif

Kermit The Dog said:
So I have Grant Kirkhope on Facebook, and this morning he posted a status update about a recent trailer for a game he's working on. Cue some trolling from some of his former Rare employees:

http://i.imgur.com/T3Coa.jpg
Hilarious!
Meanwhile, in the magical land of Twycross...
conkerhimself said:
@grantkirkhope Hello there fella.... Ya missed a good night last week... Keep up the good work ;)
grantkirkhope said:
@conkerhimself I heard, sounded like a board meeting for a new company! There aint no contract keeping me quiet .... Heh!
conkerhimself said:
@grantkirkhope I am unaware of any such activity or operation,nor would I be disposed to discuss such an operation if it did in fact exist
:O

BTW, Kermit the Dog, when did you change your name...and what's the story of the tag?

StevieP

Banned
The Awkward Wizard said:
Hilarious!
Meanwhile, in the magical land of Twycross...

:O

BTW, Kermit the Dog, when did you change your name...and what's the story of the tag?

New Company...?

Ocean_Voyager

Neo Member
[Nintex] said:
He used a lot of words to say absolutely nothing.

That's exactly what I thought. A whole load of nothin' within that interview and a wasted opportunity. Looks like we'll be waiting for E3 for news, if any ... and if it is confirmed that the only release to look forward to is Kinect Sports 2 then I'll be disappointed. I'm sure it will be good (I personally really liked Kinect Sports) but I think it is wrong to focus on Kinect exclusively and not catering for those of us who do not have Kinect or just want to play something with a joypad. If JFG was in the works as a XBLA release but that got halted does anyone know why (sorry, have tried to read all of this topic but I know I've missed bits here and there).

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
just want to say i had BANJO NUTS AND BOLTS sitting on my shelf for a loooong time, and just put it in a couple of days ago. it is a complete blast and made me lament rare's decline, inspired me to pop in here and insert a frowny-face to convey that lamentation

:(

happysatellite said:
That's exactly what I thought. A whole load of nothin' within that interview and a wasted opportunity. Looks like we'll be waiting for E3 for news, if any ... and if it is confirmed that the only release to look forward to is Kinect Sports 2 then I'll be disappointed. I'm sure it will be good (I personally really liked Kinect Sports) but I think it is wrong to focus on Kinect exclusively and not catering for those of us who do not have Kinect or just want to play something with a joypad. If JFG was in the works as a XBLA release but that got halted does anyone know why (sorry, have tried to read all of this topic but I know I've missed bits here and there).
I don't know about JFG. Another question is where is our PD XBLA DLC? It has sold over 3 and a half hundred thousand units at least and is in the top 15 top rated games of all time. What did they want from us to make it worth while for DLC? I say that is pretty good when it is competing with games like Battlefield and Castle Crashers.

Chris might be sharing some old Conker stuff soon!

..i guess it'll be alright to share with those who are interested. A kind of 'historical archive' destined to rot otherwise.. We'll see.

NEO0MJ

IOnEI Falcon said:
Chris might be sharing some old Conker stuff soon!

..i guess it'll be alright to share with those who are interested. A kind of 'historical archive' destined to rot otherwise.. We'll see.

News like this make me so sad/

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I really want a post mortem on Nuts and Bolts. The game makes me sad, Banjoland and the Logbox 720 DVD captions especially. Poor guys.

Shiggy

IOnEI Falcon said:
Do you guys think that the rumor about Banjo on the 3DS could be any bit true?

http://tinyurl.com/3zdnrf7

There's no handheld team nor is there any interest in developing non-mainstream titles. Especially not for Nintendo after the GE debacle...
truck9.jpg

Even better:
Sources also say that Nintendo and Rare discussed a 3DS continuation of the Star Fox Adventures series,

Rare is busy with games like this:
5661359553_c9bc0243e7_z.jpg

5260985925_a7a84181bb.jpg

[Nintex]

IOnEI Falcon said:
Do you guys think that the rumor about Banjo on the 3DS could be any bit true?

http://tinyurl.com/3zdnrf7
Considering this is the source:
http://gameolosophy.com/consoles/rumor-rareware-on-3ds-future-of-metroid/
Dating a guy who works close with Nintendo has its perks and benefits, but just because I sleep with someone in the gaming industry doesn’t mean every single thing he tells me is accurate.
It's bullshit, Rare and Microsoft can't be bothered to release their old franchises on Xbox 360 let alone another platform.

Shiggy

In 2009, British software studio Rare Ltd. started to work on fitness software for Microsoft’s Kinect accessory. The title was allegedly cancelled in mid-2010 because of various fitness titles from third party publishers for the very same platform. As with every game from Rare Ltd, the software had different design directions throughout its development, including a style with rather realistic characters and Avatar-styled ‘protagonists’.

http://www.unseen64.net/2011/05/07/kinect-trainer-xbox-360-cancelled/

5696520785_8f338edf26_z.jpg

5661925720_fc76cac8a3_z.jpg

They might've added some Samsung ads.

Top Bottom