• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Rare Canceled Game Art Thread]

Nessus

RpgN said:
^
You seriously think Activision would have been a better choice? Where they would force rare to release games yearly and no delay, where there would be lack of polish or even making the game decent. I think they would have been worse off, honestly.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Nintendo had won the bidding war.

I wonder what Rare would be like now if that had happened..

donny2112

Nessus said:
Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Nintendo had won the bidding war.

Nintendo never took part in a bidding war. They didn't want to wholly own RARE, so they sold their shares back to RARE at RARE's request. I think they had the option to match whatever the best offer for RARE was, but, again, they didn't want to wholly own RARE.

Nessus said:

idk, but it would have been neat to control banjo and conker in mario kart wii.

apana

donny2112 said:
Nintendo never took part in a bidding war. They didn't want to wholly own RARE, so they sold their shares back to RARE at RARE's request. I think they had the option to match whatever the best offer for RARE was, but, again, they didn't want to wholly own RARE.

I don't think that's exactly true. They probably wanted to own Rare but not for 375 million freaking dollars. I'm always stunned by that number, Microsoft really got bamboozled by the gaming industry.

[Nintex]

On a related note, Steve Burke(Kameo composer) has recently made a new 70 minute soundtrack for a game that is yet to be announced:
http://www.steveburkemusic.com/

Also, despite the fact that he left Rare he still did some stuff for the Kinect project. Like scoring the avatar themes.

RpgN

Nessus said:

That's what I was about to mention to someone else. It seems Rare was doing so well with Nintendo, and their games appeal to Nintendo fans the most. They were given more time and freedom to make their games. Things could have turned out so differently for them.

On a different note, I tried out Banjo Kazooie Nuts&Bolts yesterday. Loved it, bought it the same day. Didn't have any idea how the game was like before. It's a great mix of racing and a bit of platforming and light GTA stuff in the town. Experimental and original (in a good way), my kinda game :) To think that I dismissed the demo after 10 seconds in the past because the text would skip on its own XD Luckily there aren't many of them, there were still a lot of parts where you can skip the text by pressing A button.

Now to finish the original Banjo Kazooie and Tooie first.

[Nintex] said:
On a related note, Steve Burke(Kameo composer) has recently made a new 70 minute soundtrack for a game that is yet to be announced:
http://www.steveburkemusic.com/

Also, despite the fact that he left Rare he still did some stuff for the Kinect project. Like scoring the avatar themes.
His Kameo soundtrack was simply incredible and remains one of my favourite OSTs of this gen.

deleted

IOnEI Falcon said:
Yeah, there are fewer and fewer games that have worlds that are just screaming at me to explore...Rare was king of that.

And they brought a certain art-style with them, that I liked. You don't see these high profile comic inspired worlds anymore.

statham

Barkley's Justice said:
ugh why is this thread still going? it's over yo. rare sucks, deal with it.
rare doesn't suck, not even close, its just different. the kinect game rocks and I want more.

statham

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Fuck you, junior. Nobody in their right mind thirsts for mediocrity.
thanks for the insult, again I liked BK and their kinect game. hell kameo rocked. but please insult me again and try to make me feel they are mediocrity. I still enjoyed them.

edit: I just got dooped into responding to a troll account. sorry

TheOddOne

statham said:
thanks for the insult, again I liked BK and their kinect game. hell kameo rocked. but please insult me again and try to make me feel they are mediocrity. I still enjoyed them.

edit: I just got dooped into responding to a troll account. sorry
Yeah, his antics are sad. He trolled the Gears, Forza, Alan Wake ect. threads. Might be a pattern here, but I don't see it.

Prine

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
I might make a thread about it one of these days. It's truly magnificent.

High five. I've listened to the best this gen, Mario Galaxy, Heavy Rain but nothing comes close to Kameo.

Just looking at their website. What a great place to to work

header-7.jpg

header-0.jpg

header-2.jpg

header-4.jpg

Prine

Banned
Furret said:
Go play Wii Sports and Sports Champions then.

I have, Kinect experience is unlike anything both the above have to offer. Paddle panic with video highlights of yourself is brilliant.

Show me how i can play dodgeball type game on Wii Sports and Sports Championship.

Kurtofan

Prine said:
I have, Kinect experience is unlike anything both the above have to offer. Paddle panic with video highlights of yourself is brilliant.

Show me how i can play dodgeball type game on Wii Sports and Sports Championship.
I have nothing agains wii sports like game but seriously those games aren't what old rare fans are expecting at all from rare, I mean any developper out there can make those kind of games, rare had so much more potential.

I can't believe anyone could look back at their past games and the kinect games they do now and say:"Nah it's still great just different"

Shiggy

Prine said:
High five. I've listened to the best this gen, Mario Galaxy, Heavy Rain but nothing comes close to Kameo.

Just looking at their website. What a great place to to work

header-7.jpg

header-0.jpg

header-2.jpg

header-4.jpg

It would be a shame to abandon that place for Fazeley Studios...

Shed_a_Ninja said:

I'm increasingly ashamed I ever stuck up for you at all.

I'm glad you enjoyed them. Just so you know, this thread is almost exclusively populated by 'golden age' Rare fans lamenting the downfall of a once brilliant developer, so tensions run high at times.

3ur4zn said:
I'm increasingly ashamed I ever stuck up for you at all.

I'm glad you enjoyed them. Just so you know, this thread is almost exclusively populated by 'golden age' Rare fans lamenting the downfall of a once brilliant developer, so tensions run high at times.

1st of all, I wasn't talking about Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts or anything before. I'm talking about Kinect Sports. The games that Rare made before Kinect Sports have all been great compared to Kinect Sports.

2nd of all, Kinect Sports is an example of a mediocre (at best) type of game. I don't support that shit. I want Rare to make GOOD games. If ex-Rare employees shit all over the bland P.O.S. that Kinect Sports was, why can't I be in agreement with them?

And for crying out loud, why the hell do people support shovelware such as Kinect Sports when we could be having decent games from Rare's wealth of IPs? You only have yourselves to blame for not buying their good games and for buying and supporting the biggest shitty game that they have ever released.

Shed_a_Ninja said:
2nd of all, Kinect Sports is an example of a mediocre (at best) type of game. I don't support that shit. I want Rare to make GOOD games. If ex-Rare employees shit all over the bland P.O.S. that Kinect Sports was, why can't I be in agreement with them?

No-one is saying you can't be in agreement with them, just stop being such a dick to people who disagree with you.

And for crying out loud, why the hell do people support shovelware such as Kinect Sports when we could be having decent games from Rare's wealth of IPs? You only have yourselves to blame for not buying their good games and for buying and supporting the biggest shitty game that they have ever released.

I can only think of 1 Rare game I would buy since they left Nintendo ( 2 if you count PD XBLA), which is Kameo. The rest of the games they have made look like the definition of mediocre(Grabbed By The Ghoulies, PD0, Conker Reloaded). What makes you think they would still be able to make anything worthwhile with their old IPs?

Cerebral Assassin said:
No-one is saying you can't be in agreement with them, just stop being such a dick to people who disagree with you.

And this is why I hate Microsoft's followers. They ask for Microsoft to return to some of their old IPs, but go ahead and support the purchases of turds like Kinect Sports instead of asking for the next Brute Force or Jet Force Gemini. Blame yourselves, fuckwits. You purchased a shitty product and allowed Microsoft to ream you for more Xbox Live money.

Cerebral Assassin said:
I can only think of 1 Rare game I would buy since they left Nintendo ( 2 if you count PD XBLA), which is Kameo. The rest of the games they have made look like the definition of mediocre(Grabbed By The Ghoulies, PD0, Conker Reloaded). What makes you think they would still be able to make anything worthwhile with their old IPs?

Once again, I said compared to Kinect Sports. Every single game they have produced to date has been better than Kinect Sports, including It's Mr. Pants!. At least It's Mr. Pants! had charm and wasn't devoid of character. Kinect Sports was 100% money grubbing at its finest, and our everyday lovable Xbot schmucks and their uninformed consumer brethren ate it up in a heartbeat.

Shed_a_Ninja said:
And this is why I hate Microsoft's followers. They ask for Microsoft to return to some of their old IPs, but go ahead and support the purchases of turds like Kinect Sports instead of asking for the next Brute Force or Jet Force Gemini. Blame yourselves, fuckwits. You purchased a shitty product and allowed Microsoft to ream you for more Xbox Live money.

I don't have a Kinect, & the last Rare games I bought were XBLA games(PD & Jetpac). The last retail Rare game I bought was over 10 years ago. I don't think many people want the old IPs to return as (as many people have already said) the old Rare is dead, its the same thing with Sega & there old IPs. Would I like to see a new JSR, yes. Do I think Sega would be able to make anything as good as the original, no. Its the same thing as Rare, I have no faith that they would be able to do them justice.

Once again, I said compared to Kinect Sports. Every single game they have produced to date has been better than Kinect Sports, including It's Mr. Pants!. At least It's Mr. Pants! had charm and wasn't devoid of character. Kinect Sports was 100% money grubbing at its finest, and our everyday lovable Xbot schmucks and their uninformed consumer brethren ate it up in a heartbeat.

Just like Rarebot schmucks (its just a pity their "uninformed consumer brethren" were informed enough to avoid them like the plague) like yourself bought the mediocrity they have been releasing for the last decade, amrite?

TheOddOne

Shed_a_Ninja said:

Wow, so your saying all Rare fans are Microsoft fanboys? I doubt you crusading for Rare, you've shown time and time again to stir up shit in any Microsoft related thread. What a sad piece of shit you are.

Furret

Banned
Prine said:

Oh I'm leaving before I waste more of my time here, but really... dodgeball.

Is this what it's come to?

Cerebral Assassin said:
Just like Rarebot schmucks (its just a pity their "uninformed consumer brethren" were informed enough to avoid them like the plague) like yourself bought the mediocrity they have been releasing for the last decade, amrite?

If I want more Perfect Dark, I buy Perfect Dark. Zero wasn't a bad game by any means and had one of the best launch online experiences out of all the launch year Xbox 360 games. The updated port of the 1st one was great as well. Kameo was an excellent game with a genre the Xbox 360 seriously needed. Viva Pinata is the best Sim City-like game I've played in years.

If I want Rare to give me more of these types of games, I buy them. And I also happen to have enjoyed them.

I will never buy Kinect Sports and Kinect Sports 2 because those games were/are shit. I knew they were going to be shit from the start, as did every Rare fansite, which is one of the reasons why one of them closed down, another subtly changed the definition of its acronym, and one is looking to merge with another fansite.

But the Xbots, the Microsoft followers, as well as the casual demographic (also known as the real uninformed consumer), bought the hell out of Kinect Sports because it was advertised to Kingdom Come.

Well, if you support more of the shitty games being developed instead of games "Golden Age Rare fans" keep dreaming for, don't come crying if that's all you get.

surly

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Yeah, his antics are sad. He trolled the Gears, Forza, Alan Wake ect. threads. Might be a pattern here, but I don't see it.
Dood is all over different gaming sites waffling the same shit. He's one of those fabled "console warriors" I keep hearing about.

TheOddOne said:
Wow, so your saying all Rare fans are Microsoft fanboys? I doubt you crusading for Rare, you've shown time and time again to stir up shit in any Microsoft related thread. What a sad piece of shit you are.

And there must be a reason why you are still a junior and have that post count and a couple of years here. You must have shown how much of a corporate shill you are and defend everything Microsoft has done wrong in the game industry. Microsoft is a burden to gamers and their employees. Are you getting paid to defend every single thing they do wrong? No? Then who the fuck are you to harass me for pointing out that you’d have to be a huge twat to defend that kind of shit?

TheOddOne

surly said:
Dood is all over different gaming sites waffling the same shit. He's one of those fabled "console warriors" I keep hearing about.
Fabled "console warrior"? Dude said in the NPD that he created lists for people so he can "convert" them to the PS3 over the Wii and 360 at his job (he has never responded on what he means by that). He has the nerve to reply to me on my 360 account and told me that I "make apologies for Microsoft".

TheOddOne

Shed_a_Ninja said:
And there must be a reason why you are still a junior and have that post count and a couple of years here. You must have shown how much of a corporate shill you are and defend everything Microsoft has done wrong in the game industry. Microsoft is a burden to gamers and their employees. Are you getting paid to defend every single thing they do wrong? No? Then who the fuck are you to harass me for pointing out that you’d have to be a huge twat to defend that kind of shit?
Somebody that doesn't agree with you is a "corperate shill"? Dude, you make lists at your work to convert people to the PS3 over the Wii and 360, who the fuck here is the corporate shill?

surly

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Dude said in the NPD that he created lists for people so he can "convert" them to the PS3 over the Wii and 360 at his job (he has never responded on what he means by that).
Yeah, that seems to be his job alright. The pay is £0, but at least he gets to work from home.

I dunno why you waste your time replying to someone like that to be honest. He's what ignore lists were made for.

Alx

Kurtofan said:
I have nothing agains wii sports like game but seriously those games aren't what old rare fans are expecting at all from rare, I mean any developper out there can make those kind of games, rare had so much more potential.

I can't believe anyone could look back at their past games and the kinect games they do now and say:"Nah it's still great just different"

I don't know if only Rare could make a game like Kinect Sports, but for me it's obvious that it's not a game that could have been done by any developer. There are many game compilations out there, but few of them (if any) have the same charm as Rare's game.
Maybe their talent could have been used on more ambitious games, but it's not lost on kinect sports, since it turned what could have been another shovelware to one of kinect's killer apps.

TheOddOne

surly said:
Yeah, that seems to be his job alright. The pay is £0, but at least he gets to work from home.

I dunno why you waste your time replying to someone like that to be honest. He's what ignore lists were made for.
Bah, I'm not that kind of guy. I'm too kind for this world :)

Shed_a_Ninja said:
If I want more Perfect Dark, I buy Perfect Dark. Zero wasn't a bad game by any means and had one of the best launch online experiences out of all the launch year Xbox 360 games. The updated port of the 1st one was great as well. Kameo was an excellent game with a genre the Xbox 360 seriously needed. Viva Pinata is the best Sim City-like game I've played in years.

If I want Rare to give me more of these types of games, I buy them. And I also happen to have enjoyed them.

I will never buy Kinect Sports and Kinect Sports 2 because those games were/are shit. I knew they were going to be shit from the start, as did every Rare fansite, which is one of the reasons why one of them closed down, another subtly changed the definition of its acronym, and one is looking to merge with another fansite.

But all the games you just listed are shit, it was obvious from the 1st screenshot they would be shit & you must be stupid if you like them as only sad, pathetic shut-ins enjoy those type of games.
That's how stupid you sound

But the Xbots, the Microsoft followers, as well as the casual demographic (also known as the real uninformed consumer), bought the hell out of Kinect Sports because it was advertised to Kingdom Come.

Well, if you support more of the shitty games being developed instead of games "Golden Age Rare fans" keep dreaming for, don't come crying if that's all you get.

So why did none of these Xbots, & Microsoft followers buy any of Rares other games?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Guys, please drop lines of conversation that will inevitably make the thread a worse, more polarized, more hostile environment. Be awesome to one another.

Stumpokapow said:
Guys, please drop lines of conversation that will inevitably make the thread a worse, more polarized, more hostile environment. Be awesome to one another.

It's a bit tricky when stuff like this is acceptable to post:

Cerebral Assassin said:
It's a bit tricky when stuff like this is acceptable to post:

He's been banned. Thanks to the mods for the swift action. I don't like seeing anyone banned, but Shed was being aggressive and rude to people who were simply offering differing opinions. He clearly had some strange agenda, and isn't what I'd consider a Rare fan at all.

Let's move on!

Snooping around the internet, I stumbled upon Gavin Price's LinkedIn profile. He's a Rare designer who has worked on a bunch of the Banjo team games (Ghoulies, Piñata, Nuts & Bolts), Kinect Sports, and some unnamed prototypes. He also has a game scheduled for this year that should be revealed soon.

oFXwS.png

Further down, it mentions that he's a "Principle Designer" on a project that's been in development for over 2 years, well before Kinect Sports was released; however, since all the previous reports say that Rare's fate rests on the success on Kinect Sports 2, it probably means that they started work on Kinect Sports 2 around the same time as the original (like Back To the Future Part II and III)

tNTHU.png

I hesitated posting this because his profile used to say that he had an unannounced game for 2009...back in 2010, so this might not be completely accurate. Thoughts?

The Awkward Wizard said:
I hesitated posting this because his profile used to say that he had an unannounced game for 2009...back in 2010, so this might not be completely accurate. Thoughts?
Can you see the last time someone has updated their profile?

Shiggy

The Awkward Wizard said:
Snooping around the internet, I stumbled upon Gavin Price's LinkedIn profile. He's a Rare designer who has worked on a bunch of the Banjo team games (Ghoulies, Piñata, Nuts & Bolts), Kinect Sports, and some unnamed prototypes. He also has a game scheduled for this year that should be revealed soon.

oFXwS.png

Further down, it mentions that he's a "Principle Designer" on a project that's been in development for over 2 years, well before Kinect Sports was released; however, since all the previous reports say that Rare's fate rests on the success on Kinect Sports 2, it probably means that they started work on Kinect Sports 2 around the same time as the original (like Back To the Future Part II and III)

tNTHU.png

I wouldn't read too much into that. Afaik projects started in 2009 are no longer in production right now (and he particularly mentions Kinect Sports and prototypes). "2011" just means that he's working on a new project since the beginning of this year (as Kinect Sports was finished).
NeoGAF recruiters, help this poor man to find a new job :)

This is also pretty telling:

April 2007 – January 2009 (1 year 10 months)

Was a senior designer on Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolt (later focusing on the multiplayer as a lead designer). Also lead designer on a title that didn't go past prototype due to company reshuffle and portfolio change to a new direction.

January 2004 – April 2007 (3 years 4 months)

In this period I started work on a Banjo Kazooie prototype and then went on to the critically acclaimed Viva Pinata. This game was a very good expereince requiring a flexible approach to design for such a unique title.

Huff

Banned
The Awkward Wizard said:

Based on the amount of games and ideas cancelled through out the years by Rare/MS, I wont believe that Rare is actually creating a game until I hold the copy in my hand (not counting KS2 which will be out this holiday)

[Nintex]

BroHuffman said:
Based on the amount of games and ideas cancelled through out the years by Rare/MS, I wont believe that Rare is actually creating a game until I hold the copy in my hand (not counting KS2 which will be out this holiday)
I very much doubt that.

Top Bottom