• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The real reasons the U.S. became less racist toward Asian Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

Between 1940 and 1970, something remarkable happened to Asian Americans. Not only did they surpass African Americans in average household earnings, but they also closed the wage gap with whites.
The model minority narrative may have started with Asian Americans, but it was quickly co-opted by white politicians who saw it as a tool to win allies in the Cold War. Discrimination was not a good look on the international stage. Embracing Asian Americans “provided a powerful means for the United States to proclaim itself a racial democracy and thereby credentialed to assume the leadership of the free world,” Wu writes. Stories about Asian American success were turned into propaganda.

By the 1960s, anxieties about the civil right movement caused white Americans to further invest in positive portrayals of Asian Americans. The image of the hard-working Asian became an extremely convenient way to deny the demands of African Americans. As Wu describes in her book, both liberal and conservative politicians pumped up the image of Asian Americans as a way to shift the blame for black poverty. If Asians could find success within the system, politicians asked, why couldn’t African Americans?

“The insinuation was that hard work along with unwavering faith in the government and liberal democracy as opposed to political protest were the keys to overcoming racial barriers as well as achieving full citizenship,” she writes.
At that time, in the 1870s, the economy wasn’t doing that well in California. White American workers were very anxious about keeping their jobs. They looked around and they saw these newcomers who seemed very different from them.

There already had been a long tradition in the Western world of portraying the “Orient” as unknowable and mysterious. American workers started attaching these ideas to the Chinese newcomers, who were an easy target for white American anxieties about the growth of industrial capitalism and the undermining of workers’ autonomy and freedom. They believed that the Chinese threatened American independence and threatened American freedom.

These ideas were particularly popular among the white working class at the time. The momentum started to build in the American West. There was the Workingmen’s Party in California — one of their platforms was “The Chinese must go.” That’s how they rallied people. And they were very successful at it.

By 1882, Congress passed the first of a series of Chinese Exclusion Acts, which was the first time a race- and class-based group — Chinese workers — were singled out by American immigration law. The Chinese Exclusion Acts restricted their entry into the United States and said they couldn’t become naturalized citizens.
Wu: My book stops in the late 1960s, but what I think has happened since then is that the model minority stereotype story has really shifted away from the original ideas of patriotism and anti-communism. We now fixate more on education. There’s the image of the tiger mom focused on getting her kid into Harvard. That emphasis also speaks to a shift in the American economy, how upward mobility really depends on having a certain kind of educational training.

And the anxieties about Asians have never really gone away. Now they’re portrayed as our global competitors. So underlying the praise there’s also this fear.
More history at the link.

Yeah. The two sucky things are that it seems like we just have to have someone as "the other," and that this history will likely repeat.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
As Wu describes in her book, both liberal and conservative politicians pumped up the image of Asian Americans as a way to shift the blame for black poverty. If Asians could find success within the system, politicians asked, why couldn’t African Americans?
this shit still shows up from time to time

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Unfortunately, i grew up thinking "well, if Asians can get ahead in this country, why can't_________?" of course, the faulty logic was a product of youthful ignorance and obvious indoctrination from a racist culture and government I grew up in.

It is a shame that seemingly rational adults fall victim to that same line of thinking. There is so much working against blacks in America, and to a slightly lesser degree Hispanics, that the comparison is asinine.

Another side effect that is unfortunate is the ostracizing that goes on in some Asian American cultures if their kids don't conform to some crazy lofty and mostly unrealistic white standard of success.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Thats the only way I see the world becoming united. There would still be racism here and there, but at the threar of a completely alien being, even that would dwindle as time went on.

Well the second "best" option is that uniting humanity against rogue AI or machines or what not.

White America has always had an irrational hatred and resentment towards African Americans. We're a constant reminder of their shortcomings morally in spite of the image of America they want to project, and we no longer know our role and stay silent on these matters.

Unfortunately, i grew up thinking "well, if Asians can get ahead in this country, why can't_________?" of course, the faulty logic was a product of youthful ignorance and obvious indoctrination from a racist culture and government I grew up in.

It is a shame that seemingly rational adults fall victim to that same line of thinking. There is so much working against blacks in America, and to a slightly lesser degree Hispanics, that the comparison is asinine.

Another side effect that is unfortunate is the ostracizing that goes on in some Asian American cultures if their kids don't conform to some crazy lofty and mostly unrealistic white standard of success.
It's doubly ingenious as a strategy, too, because it positions Asians and other minorities as opposition to one another (see examples of this in any thread about affirmative action) and slows progressivism.

There are also some that think that Asians (particularly East Asians, like Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans) will eventually just be considered "white," like Italians, Irish, and Greeks before them, but it likely won't happen because of the perceived differences in culture.

Fuchsdh

An interesting interview, thanks for sharing. There's some weird parts where they start in on parallels with blacks in this country that get unfortunately skimmed, but I guess it's understandable as that's not the author's focus. I guess the biggest parallel is to the self-fulfilling prophecy—that gangs and "hood culture" came along the problems in urban America, and in turn was seen as the major cause, and as a result helped perpetuate the problem. There's always been a certain amount of "expect the worst from people and they'll never disappoint" related to image issues in race relations, and that's certainly one of the ways that the old civil rights movement confronted that—beating up a bunch of people quietly sitting at lunch counters in their Sunday best isn't exactly speaking to the image of "the delinquent Negro" and other stereotypes which sadly linger in updated form today.

I've heard it proposed a couple of places, most definitely printed in the Post as an op-ed a few years' back, that they didn't think whites would actually become a minority in the country because the definition of "whiteness" would expand to include minorities such as east Asians, just as it had expanded outside of the classic WASP mold to include the Irish and Mediterranean Europeans. I'm wondering how much true there might be to that, and how much is just hopeful optimism that we can strike down another racial barrier (or if it's even all that helpful, as it's still leaving people on the outside.)

Quick question. When Americans say asian, do they only mean east asians?

What are south Asians called?

Obviously it will depend on the crowd and who you're talking to, but generally if you're talking about South Asians, it's disambiguated as such. Ask someone about who an Asian is, and you'll probably get Korea, Vietnam, Japan, and China as the most common countries of origin, aka the places that had the most immigration here.

Thats the only way I see the world becoming united. There would still be racism here and there, but at the threar of a completely alien being, even that would dwindle as time went on.

Problem with the Watchmen line of thinking is that people get acclimated to all sorts of stuff way too easy. Wouldn't be long before we'd all be back to fighting unless there was some other factor at work besides just "aliens are coming".

Ironically Star Trek basically uses the same turning point as the way humanity digs itself out of World War III, but there at least the aliens are helpful and basically help spur development of all the tech that obviates the need for war or poverty, as opposed to just threatening us to get our shit together.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
If only aliens would invade and force us to unite.

During 1776 blacks were allowed to fight because the rebels needed the extra firepower. While fighting and dying alongside heroes like Washington, Knox, Green, etc., they were still seen as lesser individuals. And after the war ended...

Volimar

Given Pearl Harbor and the grueling war in the Pacific, it is kind of miraculous how positive attitudes are toward the Japanese. Even Germany still gets made fun of for the Nazi stuff.

Iksenpets

Banned
Quick question. When Americans say asian, do they only mean east asians?

What are south Asians called?

Asian almost always refers to East Asian here. Its obviously not correct, but most of the time people will just say "Indian" for South Asians here. Or they'll amend to Pakistani or Bangladeshi if they learn that's the person's actual nationality. South Asian exists as a term for them all as a group, but isn't often used in casual conversation. You generally just refer by nationality.

bionic77

If only aliens would invade and force us to unite.
That only works in movies.

In reality Trump would make a deal and keep his tower and his freedom in exchange for the planet. Those of us that survive the Trump enabled holocaust would be pets or exhibits in some alien zoo.

PixelatedBookake

With the amount of black people that have jumped over hurdles to become politicians, business leaders, musicians, and entertainers, how do racists push that narrative that blacks don't work hard when we have more obstacles in the way to prove ourselves?

With the amount of black people that have jumped over hurdles to become politicians, business leaders, musicians, and entertainers, how do racists push that narrative that blacks don't work hard when we have more obstacles in the way to prove ourselves?

For many Americans, their only experience with black people is what they see on the 6 o'clock evening news. Which is to say, they only see poor black people and mugshots of black criminals. When that's all you see (maybe no black people live near you, go to school with you or work with you), this is what can shape your understanding and view of whole groups. It is expected that this sort of image will lead to white resentment, paternalistic attitudes and poor public and legal policies.

NSBE conventions, for example, aren't newsworthy events. These are experiences that are altogether foreign to the average white American. With great regret.

Volimar

"They only get that far because of Affirmative Action, now excuse me while I pork my cousin-wife."

Great article.
They bring up the historic struggles of other American ethnic groups and how they overcame them. When they arent using East Asians as a model minority, they bring up the discrimination experienced by White American ethnic groups, while deceitfully ignoring the racially exclusionary economic policies those groups benefited from after WWII.

Thanks Septimus and the OP for bringing this up again. A very interesting article that I found myself nodding in agreement when I read it.

Like Septimus said, there just has to be the other. Whether that is seen as fortunate or unfortunate, it's unacceptable in every way possible.

"Well, if the Xiongs can get out and find a job, interview, college, etc. Then why can't the Johnson's?! The Xiongs are a minority too and look at them! They're doing all right for themselves!"

Is a part of what I got from the article and it's still prevalent in today's climate

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
White anxiety truly is the story of the United States of America.

But black people were deliberately set up to fail and even when they did succeed by some miracle they were immediately a target to be destroyed; look at Black Wall Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom