• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The real reasons the U.S. became less racist toward Asian Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.

99Luffy

Banned
America is strict with who they let in. Its very easy to have a success group when the only pool is that of successful people.
Well yeah, but where does racism factor in. Shouldnt hard working immigrants be held back by racism as well?

I agree that many might have felt, or still do, empowered by the music at some point in time, and I feel that is more of failure of the consciousness movement. There is no cool guy out there to really speak again negative images or the minstrelsy so the youth have been left to get their image from the radio machine.

I submit that the cultural wars, especially in terms of Music, has a much further reach than the nightly news does. The average person around the world isnt watching the American nightly news the way they are following the music scene. I do agree that what you mentioned definitely works together to create a negative image though.

I would submit to you it all goes hand in hand and that the negative aspects of hip hop is a reflection of the state of their communities and the legacy of dehumanization and minstrelsy. If African American communities were built with educated African immigrants, then hip hop overall would be impacted just as well with more people within that community frowning upon certain ignorant aspects ever getting made and controlling the image.

That's why the Black power movement of the 70's was necessary. And there were a lot of positive, educated,and political pro Black hip hop groups in the 80's and 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom