• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ringer |OT| Formerly Known as Binge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda OT but one of my friends linked me the old Grantland tumblr account which one of the former writers (Think it was Rembert) put together the other day. Basically just a collage of photos but some of them are amazing (Ferguson, SXSW, Coachella & random goofiness around the offices) http://grantlanddotcom.tumblr.com/

Gigglepoo

Where the hell is House anyway? He barely comes on anymore ever since he started that golf pod (yawn).

The golf podcast is the only one I don't listen to. Though I'll ignore the WWE one when that launches, too, I just want to hear his thoughts on the Caps or the calcium in Wall's knees!

The golf podcast is the only one I don't listen to. Though I'll ignore the WWE one when that launches, too, I just want to hear his thoughts on the Caps or the calcium in Wall's knees!

I won't really be listening to any of the pods aside from Bill's. Apologies to his staff, but they all seem like weaker try-hard carbon copies of him. That nba pod was rough.

Sources Say is one of my favourite Pods, Juliet and Chris have such good chemistry together. Love how it's a different aspect of the NBA that all the other pods don't really recognise.

Gigglepoo

Sources Say is one of my favourite Pods, Juliet and Chris have such good chemistry together. Love how it's a different aspect of the NBA that all the other pods don't really recognise.

Right there with you. Plus, Juliette is the only person prepared to speak the truth: Steph is kind of boring.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Here's how I would rank them:

-BS Podcast
-Keepin' it 1600 (probably #1 if you're into politics at all)
-Jam Session (Litman +Dobbins)
-NFL Show (if and when Mallory Rubin is on it)
---
everything else
-Golf Pod
-The Watch

Brinbe

Rapaport is always guaranteed fire. The pod with him guesting from back in Nov was an all-time classic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6IE5N5OiJ0 will NEVER get old.

And 1600 is a fantastic listen. Easily the best political pod out there. Of course it helps that Jon/Dan have real WH experience and constantly have great guests on, with potential Veep candidate Tom Perez, being a real highlight.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'd say the only ones I'm really enjoying so far are the B.S. Podcast and Keeping It 1600. I'm looking forward to Shoemaker's WWE podcast though.

Gigglepoo

Huh, After the Thrones isn't up yet. I wonder if it has anything to do with Chris Ryan's tweet apologizing that they said the episode was called Oathkeepeer instead of Oathbreaker.

Curufinwe

Huh, After the Thrones isn't up yet. I wonder if it has anything to do with Chris Ryan's tweet apologizing that they said the episode was called Oathkeepeer instead of Oathbreaker.

I only remembered to watch ATT episode 2 after GoT episode 3 but I thought it was really solid. My only real issue is the continued under utilization of Rubin.

spyder_ur

Podcast feed splitting stuff is just annoying. What's wrong with the Slate model where they have them all in one feed and then each in their own separate feed?

gazele

Banned
Podcast feed splitting stuff is just annoying. What's wrong with the Slate model where they have them all in one feed and then they're own separate feed?

I really don't get it, there must be advertising reasons or maybe if people know they only want certain podcasts?

It's not that hard to delete ones you don't want though

I really don't get it, there must be advertising reasons or maybe if people know they only want certain podcasts?

It's not that hard to delete ones you don't want though

Maybe Bill is just trying to take on the entire ESPN podcenter at the same time? Soon he'll have a nascar show (j/k). But to me he's just watering his content down.

Curufinwe

After the Thrones is just not good. Very sad.

It's hard to find good GoT coverage that is suitable for non-book readers. The first GoT podcast I tried, one of the two hosts couldn't keep track of main character names and barely seemed interested. It was horrible. The only one I have stuck with is Game of Owns, which suffers terribly from overuse of the dated slang term "own". Fortunately, that happens mainly at the end of episodes where the hosts go thru the collection of "owns" sent in by the audience. So I just turn it off at that point.

ryseing

Omg. Our Grand Maester Netw3rk just ethered Chris Ryan on this week's Watch.

Sensational.

41:00 mark. It's lit.

Now I have to listen. Thanks for the heads-up.

"You sound like a dude who sits at home with the TV sound off watching Tarkovsky and hitting a bong"

OMG

After the Thrones is just not good. Very sad.

It's alright. As has been stated in this thread, it improves when Mal is on.

Gigglepoo

Podcast feed splitting stuff is just annoying. What's wrong with the Slate model where they have them all in one feed and then each in their own separate feed?

I prefer having separate feeds rather than manually deleting the episodes I don't want to listen to. Why is it a problem splitting them up for you? My old podcast app had a 10 podcast subscription limit, but now that I have a better app, I subscribe to 57 podcasts.

It's hard to find good GoT coverage that is suitable for non-book readers. The first GoT podcast I tried, one of the two hosts couldn't keep track of main character names and barely seemed interested. It was horrible. The only one I have stuck with is Game of Owns, which suffers terribly from overuse of the dated slang term "own". Fortunately, that happens mainly at the end of episodes where the hosts go thru the collection of "owns" sent in by the audience. So I just turn it off at that point.

I enjoy A Cast of Kings and History of Westeros. Though I am a book reader (and listen to two other podcasts for book readers as well) but I feel the two aforementioned ones have smart and incisive analysis. After the Thrones is funny but is just so shallow I don't get anything of worth from it. And it's worse than Watch the Thrones. It's like they're scared to criticize it now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Now I have to listen. Thanks for the heads-up.

"You sound like a dude who sits at home with the TV sound off watching Tarkovsky and hitting a bong"

OMG

It's alright. As has been stated in this thread, it improves when Mal is on.

I assumed it was the "yeah that sounds like Film Studies 101" takedown of his Civil War criticism. That was actually pretty brutal.

I presume their reasoning is if it's popular enough (And they are, all the feeds are like in the iTunes top 10) it's more publicity for the podcasts and in turn more publicity for the site which is where they get their income.

gazele

Banned
I presume their reasoning is if it's popular enough (And they are, all the feeds are like in the iTunes top 10) it's more publicity for the podcasts and in turn more publicity for the site which is where they get their income.

They're in the top 10 now, but the only reason for that is new subscribers, they're all gonna drop in the coming months, but I'm assuming they know that

ryseing

I enjoy A Cast of Kings and History of Westeros. Though I am a book reader (and listen to two other podcasts for book readers as well) but I feel the two aforementioned ones have smart and incisive analysis. After the Thrones is funny but is just so shallow I don't get anything of worth from it. And it's worse than Watch the Thrones. It's like they're scared to criticize it now.

Well yeah, they work for HBO now.

OP is updated with the new feeds. If you're not listening to Keeping It 1600, you're doing The Ringer wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom